PDA

View Full Version : So... who is having the best camp so far???

steelcitysfinestXL
08-05-2010, 08:01 AM
from Steelcityinsider.net

[I]LATROBE – The question to the scout was a simple one:
Who’s having the best camp?

“I’ll tell you,” he said as he leaned in close. “Dennis Dixon is really jumping off the screen whenever I see him on tape.

“But,” he added, “if you use that information, people will know where it came from.”

Um, with all due respect, that couldn’t possibly be true. Of the Steelers’ personnel department, everyone who’s been asked that question has said the same thing:

Dennis Dixon is jumping off the screen.

Dixon took in the news with a broad smile.

“It’s still early,” he said. “Obviously you want to set that tone early, so having heard that, it brings tremendous confidence to me and I want to continue to do that.”

Not that Dixon needs any more confidence. Through the first five days of camp he’s put nearly every throw on the money, short or deep, and he’s using touch when he needs it, throws frozen ropes when he needs that.

The third-year vet’s also showing great command of the running game. He’s been a “Wildcat” package unto himself, but the Steelers are having him do more than just tuck the ball and run sweeps.

On Wednesday, for instance, Dixon directed the old-school option attack, and on the next snap time-warped ahead to the modern era with the read-option series that he executed so well at the University of Oregon.

Dixon’s confidence in every facet of the game this training camp is making him look like a different player than the one who repeatedly covered his facemask with both hands after making one game-turning type of mistake after another during spring workouts.

What changed in the last couple months?

“I put in a tremendous amount of work in the offseason,” he said. “I worked on the little things that I needed to work on, like footwork. And like I told everybody else, my leadership skills, I want to be able to focus on that this year, because I lead by my actions more than by my words, and I see that by looking at guys like Byron Leftwich and Ben Roethlisberger that vocal skills are part of leadership as well.”

However, it’s unlikely that Dixon will get the chance to lead the Steelers this season. Even though Coach Mike Tomlin reiterated Wednesday that the battle to replace the suspended Ben Roethlisberger will be determined in preseason games, it’s nearly a certainty that Byron Leftwich will be given the job. He’s already been given twice the number of practice reps Dixon has been given, and coaches don’t like to scuttle such plans at the last minute.

“That’s probably true,” Dixon said. “I could’ve been better prepared in the spring. Then again, that was something new to me. I wasn’t used to getting all of those reps. It was something new to me, and I didn’t want that to be a concern coming into training camp. I wanted to be dialed in this time around.”

He is. Even though Dixon’s taking snaps behind second and third-team linemen, and throwing to second and third-team receivers, he’s clearly flourishing. And he says he wouldn’t take a backup assignment to Leftwich personally.

“All I can do is control what I can do,” he said. “But people see that I’m improving day in and day out. That’s all I can ask, because when my number is called , I want to be able to perform just like I’m performing now, if not better.”
/I]

I have a feeling is DD can light it up with the 2nd/3rd strings in the fist preseason game... he may get some reps with the 1st team. :clap:

JensK
08-05-2010, 08:40 AM
I have to admit that I would be a little pissed if they went with Lefty over Dixon if they keep playing like they do. As far as what i've heard, Dixon is making Lefty look quite terrible.

K Train
08-05-2010, 08:44 AM
leftwich is still getitng 40% of the snaps....arians will never be on board with dixon being the starter, tomlin has to do that himself....but hes too big of a pussy

steelcitysfinestXL
08-05-2010, 08:56 AM
leftwich is still getitng 40% of the snaps....arians will never be on board with dixon being the starter, tomlin has to do that himself....but hes too big of a pussy

Yeah im kinda with you man... i think Mike has it in his head that Lefty is the guy. I think MAYBE, if Dixon lights it up for the rest of camp and Lefty doesnt improve... we may get to see Dixon with the first team in the second preseason game.

The only thing that Tomlin might be thinking is: "Ill name Lefty the starter in OTA's... that'll light a fire under Dixons ***!"

Thats about the only thing i can think. Why else name the camp starter SO soon. Even if you knew it was Lefty... why say it in May? I guess Dixon took OTA's as a sign he needed to work harder and now its paying off!!! BA is putting in a TON of plays for him so im not sure he's totally sold against Dixon quite yet!!! Either way DD's lack of 1st team reps doesnt leave me to think he has much of a chance barring injury or Lefty completely imploding!

BlitzburghRockCity
08-05-2010, 09:05 AM
Leftwich had a very good off season and even though Tomlin has said the starting job is still up for grabs and will be determined during preseason, it's very unlikely that Byron won't be starting on opening weekend. Arians talked about using Dixon as a change of pace, Slash type role, so even if he doesn't get the job I'm guessing he'll still be on the field regularly in some capacity.

Ktrain is right though, Tomlin will have to make that call and we all know those 2 are in each others hip pocket so the chances of anything changing unless Leftwich royally screws up, are slim.

steelcitysfinestXL
08-05-2010, 09:16 AM
Leftwich had a very good off season and even though Tomlin has said the starting job is still up for grabs and will be determined during preseason, it's very unlikely that Byron won't be starting on opening weekend. Arians talked about using Dixon as a change of pace, Slash type role, so even if he doesn't get the job I'm guessing he'll still be on the field regularly in some capacity.

Ktrain is right though, Tomlin will have to make that call and we all know those 2 are in each others hip pocket so the chances of anything changing unless Leftwich royally screws up, are slim.

Eh, i dont wanna see the "slash" role come back into effect. I dont see it being overly successful. Dont get me wrong a trick play here and there (myabe 3-5 per season at most) But i dont wanna see any kind of a 2 qb college style system here.

I think Tomlin made the right move by handing the #1 spot to Lefty... he had the better offseason. Now that Camp is here, MT and BA must get Lefty prepared as the starter. Unless he REALLY implodes and Dixon really shines, how else do you justify making a switch now?

I would like to see Dixon get some run with the first teams though... he seems like he deserves it!

JensK
08-05-2010, 09:20 AM
They did the right thing by making Lefty starter, and they did the right thing making him starter sooner rather than later. It removes a lot of uncertainty. HOWEVER, if he plays notable worse than Dixon, which he has done so far, you have to go with Dixon, or at least give him as many reps. You should never go with the worse guy, just because you are stubborn as a coach.

steelcitysfinestXL
08-05-2010, 09:34 AM
They did the right thing by making Lefty starter, and they did the right thing making him starter sooner rather than later. It removes a lot of uncertainty. HOWEVER, if he plays notable worse than Dixon, which he has done so far, you have to go with Dixon, or at least give him as many reps. You should never go with the worse guy, just because you are stubborn as a coach.

:plus1: and i dont think seeing Lefty as the #1 in PS.Gm.1 would justify calling the coaching staff stubborn. IF, Lefty looks mediocre or worse and DD lights it up in PS. gm. 1, then i'd hope to see DD getting reps with the first team the next week at practice. Its gonna come down to who plays better during the games in what MT calls "Sunday Match-ups"... the 1's vs. 1's and i hope we get to see DD in that role in a few preseason games.

LatrobePA
08-05-2010, 10:18 AM
Leftwich is a turd, give Dixon some reps....

coldrolled
08-05-2010, 11:27 AM

if lefty takes us down turd road first 4 games. arians is fired before the bye week.

tomlin is a pussy with this BA crap. Take the blinders off and Run the show Tomlin...

LatrobePA
08-05-2010, 11:37 AM
if lefty takes us down turd road first 4 games. arians is fired before the bye week.

tomlin is a pussy with this BA crap. Take the blinders off and Run the show Tomlin...

I think Tomlin and Arians would make a cute couple, or already do...BA sucks, and Tomlin needs to nip this in the butt now not during the season.

FYI: Goodell left the door open for Ben to come back sooner than even 4 games..

Steelers_All_Day_43
08-05-2010, 12:34 PM
These coaches see these QB's and work with them every day. Im pretty sure they know what they are doing. Well, besides BA...

LatrobePA
08-05-2010, 12:36 PM
They sure do, but did you watch us lose to the Browns last year?

Steelers_All_Day_43
08-05-2010, 12:46 PM
Sigh....yes

coldrolled
08-05-2010, 01:12 PM
Sigh....yes

We scored 6 points with Ben....

--- Added 8/5/2010 at 12:12 PM ---

These coaches see these QB's and work with them every day. Im pretty sure they know what they are doing. Well, besides BA...

BA knows he doesnt want to deal with a running QB, kinda like a running redzone game, and kinda like a FB.. I dont need a Fullback.. We dont have one on the roster... Oh... Dixon will get broke in half... Dixon is my change of pace QB... and on and on..... Hes a Moron...

Lucky we got Flozell BA doesnt have to teach him anything... Like our other rookie OL players who have no clue what to do... wonder why?? Say BA....

Steelers_All_Day_43
08-05-2010, 01:22 PM
I personally want BA to be fired. That Browns game was probably the most embarrasing and pathetic in a LONG time

coldrolled
08-05-2010, 01:26 PM
I personally want BA to be fired. That Browns game was probably the most embarrasing and pathetic in a LONG time

Ben had 6 points against the browns.... and how many points did we score against the ravens with dixon???

Dixon is not ready?? come on.. i live in florida, i watched leftwich in tampa go 0-3
before they benched him. it was awful.. i dont see it... Dixon needs to play..
He needs more experience. win or lose a few.

DanRooney
08-05-2010, 01:29 PM
Actually Ziggy Hood is having the best camp...

And out of our rookies Thaddeus Gibson is impressing the most.

--- Added 8/5/2010 at 12:29 PM ---

Ben had 6 points against the browns.... and how many points did we score against the ravens with dixon???

Dixon is not ready?? come on.. i live in florida, i watched leftwich in tampa go 0-3
before they benched him. it was awful.. i dont see it... Dixon needs to play..
He needs more experience. win or lose a few.

Why don't you compare like games. Ben scored 20 against the Ravens and Dixon had 14 and a bad INT to a DE. Once the Ravens were able to adjust to Dixon, he was pretty much held ineffective in the 2nd half.

I really believe Roethlisberger at this point cannot be beaten by the Ravens and is 4-0 since 2008 :cope:

coldrolled
08-05-2010, 01:52 PM
Actually Ziggy Hood is having the best camp...

And out of our rookies Thaddeus Gibson is impressing the most.

--- Added 8/5/2010 at 12:29 PM ---

Why don't you compare like games. Ben scored 20 against the Ravens and Dixon had 14 and a bad INT to a DE. Once the Ravens were able to adjust to Dixon, he was pretty much held ineffective in the 2nd half.

I really believe Roethlisberger at this point cannot be beaten by the Ravens and is 4-0 since 2008 :cope:

its just how you look at it... if dixon would have had the 6 against the browns, we would have cut him... ben threw an INT against the ravens in that game too.

we need the young players to get experience, dixon has his chance and BA is going to bury him again.... no matter how well he does IMO.

LatrobePA
08-05-2010, 01:55 PM
I hate to say it gang, but HOLMES was the reason we beat the Ravens when we did...He was our Raven killer!!

Layin the wood
08-05-2010, 01:55 PM
Pre-season will sort everything out. Whoever plays the best in pre-season will be the starter no matter if you are running the 1st string,2nd string or 3rd string. If DD,BL or CB is completing passes and winning games he will start. Its time to step up or step off!!!

Real Deal Steel
08-06-2010, 12:46 AM
A running QB is not what we want long term. Running QB's don't win jack in the NFL. But for a 4 game period, it wouldn't be such a bad thing to feature a running QB. You've got to admit that once Ben came back, other teams would have no real film of the offense this year and Dixon off the bench for a couple of plays keeps teams guessing.

I"m just putting it out there.

DanRooney
08-06-2010, 12:56 AM
its just how you look at it... if dixon would have had the 6 against the browns, we would have cut him... ben threw an INT against the ravens in that game too.

we need the young players to get experience, dixon has his chance and BA is going to bury him again.... no matter how well he does IMO.

It's ridiculous how much hype Dixon is getting after a lousy game. Ben had zero protection against the Browns whereas Dixon had GREAT protection against the Ravens as well as a pretty decent run support. He was only hurried maybe 2 times. Against the Browns, their D had something like 6 or 8 sacks and none of them were on Ben.

We have Arians as our coordinator guys. No matter how you look at it, he's going to want to throw first. You can't do that with Dixon; he has a weak arm. He won't be on the team next year either. Some team like the Jaguars will foolishly try to make him their starter.

BlackGold4vr
08-06-2010, 01:24 AM
It's ridiculous how much hype Dixon is getting after a lousy game.

Dixon shouldn't be judged by that game because the coaching staff did not allow him a chance to showcase his talents. I remember the game well because I lost my voice from yelling at the TV. They had a vanilla run oriented gameplan and even ran on obvious passing downs. They didn't give Dixon a chance. How are you gonna look good being made to hand the ball off in passing situations. All that game showed me is that the coaches had no confidense in Dixon. We lost the game anyway I would have liked to see them take off the handcuffs and see what the guy could do.....but they didn't.

:2cents:

DanRooney
08-06-2010, 01:38 AM
Dixon shouldn't be judged by that game because the coaching staff did not allow him a chance to showcase his talents. I remember the game well because I lost my voice from yelling at the TV. They had a vanilla run oriented gameplan and even ran on obvious passing downs. They didn't give Dixon a chance. How are you gonna look good being made to hand the ball off in passing situations. All that game showed me is that the coaches had no confidense in Dixon. We lost the game anyway I would have liked to see them take off the handcuffs and see what the guy could do.....but they didn't.

:2cents:

He threw 26 times and didn't even complete half of his passes. I could see why people were high on him if he was 20 for 26 or even 18 for 26...he was 12 for 26. He literally made 2 good plays the entire game.

JensK
08-06-2010, 04:09 AM
He threw 26 times and didn't even complete half of his passes. I could see why people were high on him if he was 20 for 26 or even 18 for 26...he was 12 for 26. He literally made 2 good plays the entire game.

which sounds like more than Lefty have made the entire trainingcamp so far.

coldrolled
08-06-2010, 08:30 AM
which sounds like more than Lefty have made the entire trainingcamp so far.

:lol: what did dixon have two days to get ready to play the ravens.... and the ravens had to win.

Its the OC's choice .. And this whole OC situation will be history after this year, so im taking a break on him... lets see what happens... go DD.

Blazedby92
08-06-2010, 09:38 AM
If you watched the game he played well for what he had time to prepare for and plus the Numbers aren't what you look at....Lefty as we all know sux so since DD we be our QB of the future "for now" let's give him a chance.
Because if you want to go by numbers then let's see what Lefty did last year and then we will talk.

Layin the wood
08-06-2010, 10:01 AM
I'll wait until the pre-season games start before i make a judgement on DD. If Arians designs an offense that features a running attack (wishful thinking) i think that DD can be more patient and only have to throw the ball 18-20 times to be successful.

LatrobePA
08-06-2010, 10:17 AM
I'll wait until the pre-season games start before i make a judgement on DD. If Arians designs an offense that features a running attack (wishful thinking) i think that DD can be more patient and only have to throw the ball 18-20 times to be successful.

Didn't we win a SB with a young QB doing this?? Just say'n!!

DanRooney
08-06-2010, 10:59 AM
If you watched the game he played well for what he had time to prepare for and plus the Numbers aren't what you look at....Lefty as we all know sux so since DD we be our QB of the future "for now" let's give him a chance.
Because if you want to go by numbers then let's see what Lefty did last year and then we will talk.

Works both ways guys. If he only had 2 days to prepare (which is false), the Ravens could not gameplan for Dixon. Once they figured out that he could not read coverages, the game was over. I keep seeing the same pathetic excuse.

All backup quarterbacks practice behind their starter. He had a full week to prepare. Sure Ben decided ultimately to not play 2 days prior, but come on, its not like the coaching staff did not let him practice with the team before those 2 days leading into the game. He was not a rookie QB like Roethlisberger who was fed to the wolves. We drafted him almost 2 years prior to that game, so he was familiar with our system and had plenty of opportunities to learn the playbook and learn behind the best. I mean he's still #3 behind Leftwich. Doesn't this tell you guys anything?

coldrolled
08-06-2010, 01:59 PM
Works both ways guys. If he only had 2 days to prepare (which is false), the Ravens could not gameplan for Dixon. Once they figured out that he could not read coverages, the game was over. I keep seeing the same pathetic excuse.

All backup quarterbacks practice behind their starter. He had a full week to prepare. Sure Ben decided ultimately to not play 2 days prior, but come on, its not like the coaching staff did not let him practice with the team before those 2 days leading into the game. He was not a rookie QB like Roethlisberger who was fed to the wolves. We drafted him almost 2 years prior to that game, so he was familiar with our system and had plenty of opportunities to learn the playbook and learn behind the best. I mean he's still #3 behind Leftwich. Doesn't this tell you guys anything?

Arians doesnt want to run a QB. Like he doesnt want to run a FB, Like he doesnt run in the Redzone. 5 wide baby.... :lol: i year to go BA :imho: wheres his extension????? no respect... no respect.....

DanRooney
08-06-2010, 03:53 PM
Leftwich sucks balls. But the Leftwich and Arians combination is better than the Dixon and Arians one, only because Airhead won't use Dixon the way he should be used. We won't beat the Ravens with either of these lousy QBs :imho: but I'm hoping for a 3-1 start. Atlanta's starting DT is suspended for the first game so I hope Mendenhall/Dwyer is unleashed. Our D is far superior to Tennessee's so I don't think we'll have a problem against them as long as Crumpler doesn't fall on Troy again. And Tampa sucks

coldrolled
08-06-2010, 04:37 PM
Leftwich sucks balls. But the Leftwich and Arians combination is better than the Dixon and Arians one, only because Airhead won't use Dixon the way he should be used. We won't beat the Ravens with either of these lousy QBs :imho: but I'm hoping for a 3-1 start. Atlanta's starting DT is suspended for the first game so I hope Mendenhall/Dwyer is unleashed. Our D is far superior to Tennessee's so I don't think we'll have a problem against them as long as Crumpler doesn't fall on Troy again. And Tampa sucks

either way its still steelers football.. :cope:

didnt crumpler go to another team? maybe the pats..

the ravens d is going to be soft.. so we have a shot.

Callax
08-06-2010, 04:43 PM
Dixon will be a very good QB. I doubt he'll replace BR, but he will be a starter after he leaves PITT in FA.... Once the lights go on and he knows what to do, look out!! HE"S GONNA BE GOOD!!!!!!!!

DanRooney
08-06-2010, 05:07 PM
Dixon will be a very good QB. I doubt he'll replace BR, but he will be a starter after he leaves PITT in FA.... Once the lights go on and he knows what to do, look out!! HE"S GONNA BE GOOD!!!!!!!!

No he won't. He'll be a poor man's version of Vince Young.

DBR96A
08-06-2010, 06:06 PM
This all reminds me of one of the few times I've agreed with Mark Madden: "The most popular QB in Pittsburgh is whichever one's not starting."

xxxsteelernation
08-06-2010, 09:44 PM
:postal::postal::postal:
Eh, i dont wanna see the "slash" role come back into effect. I dont see it being overly successful. Dont get me wrong a trick play here and there (myabe 3-5 per season at most) But i dont wanna see any kind of a 2 qb college style system here.

I think Tomlin made the right move by handing the #1 spot to Lefty... he had the better offseason. Now that Camp is here, MT and BA must get Lefty prepared as the starter. Unless he REALLY implodes and Dixon really shines, how else do you justify making a switch now?

I would like to see Dixon get some run with the first teams though... he seems like he deserves it!

I don't think they will "kordell" Dennis. Dennis is better than Stewart. Is more dangerous than Stewart. As long as dixon is a QB you put dixon as strictly a running back or WR would not be good. Dixon has never played those positions. Dixon can turn on the jets better than anyone. Remember in college espn analyst had Dixon on the same level or better than vick was in the pro's before dixon's injury. Which was over scrutinized through out his draft offseason. I remember when Tomlin drafted him, Tomlin said that dixon was the biggest steal that he's ever seen. He was surprised dixon went so far down in the draft and it was a luxury to have the opprotunity to have him on the team.. Cant wait till the first preseason game and Lefty chokes and dixon put up 40 on atlanta...lol Gooooooooooooo steelers:postal::postal:

Big T
08-06-2010, 10:55 PM
Thaddeus Gibson is having the best camp out of Rookies. Most of them have looked good. Pouncey's looked good, Emmanuel Sanders has looked good, as have Antonio Brown and Dwyer. I don't know about Worilds though. Is he hurt? I haven't seen him in the 2 practices I've watched..

JensK
08-07-2010, 05:26 AM
Thaddeus Gibson is having the best camp out of Rookies. Most of them have looked good. Pouncey's looked good, Emmanuel Sanders has looked good, as have Antonio Brown and Dwyer. I don't know about Worilds though. Is he hurt? I haven't seen him in the 2 practices I've watched..

Yes he is. He twisted his knee early on, and havnt returned so far.