PDA

View Full Version : Goodell pleased with Ben's actions

BlitzburghRockCity
08-04-2010, 03:25 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d819845ad/article/commissioner-is-pleased-by-steps-roethlisberger-has-taken

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said Wednesday that Pittsburgh Steelers (http://www.nfl.com/teams/pittsburghsteelers/profile?team=PIT) quarterback Ben Roethlisberger (http://www.nfl.com/players/benroethlisberger/profile?id=ROE750381) is doing more than he was asked to do by the league when given a six-game suspension after being accused of sexual assault.
Unlock HQ Video (http://www.nfl.com/widgets/videos/downloader?template=basic-html&confirm=true&icampaign=VG_Player_Link_HQ_DL)HQ video delivered by Akamai

Goodell said he will meet with Roethlisberger before the regular season starts in September and determine whether to reduce the punishment to four games.
The Steelers quarterback has been having his best camp yet (http://www.nfl.com/trainingcamp/story/09000d5d8197e7aa/article/steelers-coordinator-arians-big-ben-having-his-best-camp-yet), according to Steelers offensive coordinator Bruce Arians.
During a visit to the Baltimore Ravens (http://www.nfl.com/teams/baltimoreravens/profile?team=BAL) training camp, Goodell said: "He is doing what he's been asked to do -- and frankly more."
Goodell added that Roethlisberger "understands the seriousness of this and the fact he has to change the way he's doing things. I'm encouraged by that."
Goodell is scheduled to visit Steelers camp Thursday and plans to meet with Roethlisberger.

Looks like there's a real good chance his punishment will be dropped; which is pretty much what we all knew would happen once Ben got a chance to set the record straight and start working on the things the NFL told him he had too.

Layin the wood
08-04-2010, 03:31 PM
Great news! He should be back for the Clowns game!!

LatrobePA
08-04-2010, 03:41 PM
F Goodell....

SteelerEyeZ
08-04-2010, 03:44 PM
F Goodell....

HAHAHHA i was happy to read this then just dies laughing when i read that....needed a good laugh gotta love this site...and i totally agree

coldrolled
08-04-2010, 03:50 PM
with all the non suspensions for actual arrests, ben should get 3-4 weeks reduced not just 2 and goodell should announce that ben did an extraordinary job of following his rehab program...

AZ_Steeler
08-04-2010, 03:54 PM
Based on how that F***stick Goodell has handled other players around the league.. ie Vince Young... he should reduce Bens suspension to 2 games! Hell... considering there is no proof or video evidence of Ben actually doing anything wrong he should lift the whole suspension :D

1085_WEST_THIRD_ST
08-04-2010, 04:07 PM
HE HAD TO MAKE AN EXAMPLE OF A QB IS ALL. HE WILL BE BACK AND READY BY THE BROWNS GAME.

LatrobePA
08-04-2010, 04:09 PM
HAHAHHA i was happy to read this then just dies laughing when i read that....needed a good laugh gotta love this site...and i totally agree

I mean it, F Goodell, he's an *** sniffer!

steelersbabex25
08-04-2010, 05:29 PM
Well as long as Goodell is pleased..

LarryNJ
08-04-2010, 05:49 PM
Is there a chance it could get reduced to less than 4 games or is 4 the minimum?

Steelers_All_Day_43
08-04-2010, 05:59 PM
Saw this on Sportsnation and Michelle Beadle wants Ben to be suspended longer to "learn his lesson". SMH

Steel Trap86
08-04-2010, 05:59 PM
4 games

HUNT4SEVEN
08-04-2010, 06:04 PM
I think for Ben to really get it he needs to sit atleast 3 games, sure there was no evidence that he raped any body according to some people and the DA but the fact is he has to understand that his sh^! does stink! so he needs to sit atleast 3 games IMO, If he sits in September when his boys are playing i believe it will really sink in that he could lose his livelihood because he has been thinking with the wrong head and hopefully he will be better because of this, i was shocked at the reports coming from camp that he has taken his game to a different level this year i hope this change stays with him and he gets his stuff together:tt02:...

BlitzburghRockCity
08-04-2010, 06:33 PM
Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger is hopeful that he is doing enough to get the conditional six-game suspension he received for violating the NFL's personal conduct policy reduced to four games.
Commissioner Roger Goodell is visiting Steelers' training camp Thursday, and he will likely meet with Roethlisberger.
"I feel like I've done everything's asked and then some," Roethlisberger said today. "I want him to know — and I think he does know some of the things — I want him to know I have done everything he's asked and tried to go above and beyond."
Goodell suspended Roethlisberger, who was accused of sexual assault twice within a nine-month span, in April. He ordered Roethlisberger to undergo a comprehensive behavioral evaluation and told the two-time Super Bowl winner in a letter that he needed to turn his life around.
Goodell also said the suspension could reduced to four games for good behavior though he also left open the option of making it longer than six games.
Since then Roethlisberger has said that he has changed, and he vowed to make amends to the Steelers as well as fans he alienated with his boorish behavior.
He said today that nothing has been scheduled as far as talking with Goodell while the commissioner is visiting training camp.
"If he wants to speak to me, I'd love to talk to him," Roethlisberger said, "check in and see how everything's going."
Roethlisberger said he found out yesterday that he is not allowed to have contact with the coaches during his suspension, which starts after the Steelers' final preseason game.
He said he is in the process of putting together plans for what he will do to stay sharp as well as in shape during the suspension.
"I've got some ideas in store and we'll see what happens," Roethlisberger said.

There is no reason he shouldn't have this reduced..and IMO there is no reason for 4 games, I wish he would make it 3 but unless he has a change of heart it's going to be a minimum of 4.

WTF is that about not being able to talk to the coaches? Seriously, he can't even call Tomlin or stay in contact with the coaches? That's a bunch of crap; I can see not being able to practice and be with the team but this is overkill and has been from the start.

Ugh, don't get me started again...

75Steeler
08-04-2010, 07:25 PM
:imho: They should do away with the entire suspension at this point. Ben has not been charged with a crime. Vince Young has and no punnishment there.

Steel Trap86
08-04-2010, 07:35 PM
Vick had nothing handed down either

nuclearchihuahuas
08-04-2010, 08:10 PM
Based on how that F***stick Goodell has handled other players around the league.. ie Vince Young... he should reduce Bens suspension to 2 games! Hell... considering there is no proof or video evidence of Ben actually doing anything wrong he should lift the whole suspension :D

:yellowthumb: I know he wanted to set an example...i he is willing to suspend Roethlisberger he could suspend anyone...problem is he hasn't suspended anyone else ...c'mon commish...you put the fear of you in Ben now give the fans a break---

MattyVfromCT
08-04-2010, 08:23 PM
F Goodell....

COSIGNED!

HUNT4SEVEN
08-05-2010, 07:42 PM
http://www.fantasysp.com/player/nfl/Ben_Roethlisberger/1081044

coldrolled
08-05-2010, 08:15 PM
heres a good one - shaun rodgers

Roger Goodell is still reviewing the gun-related arrests of Cleveland Browns defensive linemen Shaun Rogers and Robaire Smith, Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain-Dealer reports.

Rogers was arrested in April after attempting to carry a loaded weapon onto a plane.

Smith was charged last month with misdemeanor possession of a firearm in a sterile area of a commercial airport.

Smith's case is still pending, which may explain the delay in the players' punishment under the league's personal conduct policy.

"It's a clear mistake," Goodell said. "It is a violation of law. It's the kind of judgments that we have to make sure we do a better job of avoiding."

Case pending so Goodell is still waiting for what????

Ben had no case????

coldrolled
08-17-2010, 03:25 PM
Bengals LB Rey Maualuga Avoids Suspension
Cincinnati Bengals linebacker Rey Maualuga will not be suspended by the NFL for his January DUI, ESPN's Adam Schefter reports.

Maualuga will be fined two game checks, however, which will cost him $46,471 in base salary.

Maualuga was arrested in Covington, Kentucky in the early morning hours of January 29 after striking a parking meter and two parked cars. Maualuga plead guilty to the charges in February and entered a rehab facility later that month.

SteelDad
08-17-2010, 06:28 PM
Bengals LB Rey Maualuga Avoids Suspension
Cincinnati Bengals linebacker Rey Maualuga will not be suspended by the NFL for his January DUI, ESPN's Adam Schefter reports.

Maualuga will be fined two game checks, however, which will cost him $46,471 in base salary.

Maualuga was arrested in Covington, Kentucky in the early morning hours of January 29 after striking a parking meter and two parked cars. Maualuga plead guilty to the charges in February and entered a rehab facility later that month.

Thanks for posting this.... Again the constant double-standard by Goodell is going to ruin this league. Shaun Rogers? Nothin. Cedric Benson? Nothin. Tom Cable? Nothin.

What a joke.

airbrake 1
08-17-2010, 07:15 PM
isn't it beautiful now that the season is getting close and the reports are coming out that ben is having the best camp of his life that all the people who turned their backs on ben when he needed their support are starting to hope that the suspension is reduced... I think the reason that this whole situation got blown out of proportion in the first place is because a lilly livered section of the steeler nation turned it's back on ben to begin with, this gave goodell the red meat he needed to make an example of ben . I think goodell figured damn if the fans in pittsburgh turned on him **** i can make an example of this guy without much backlash...Oh well you backstabbers can sit there and pray that our season doesn't go down the toilet because of your self rightous bullshit

nuclearchihuahuas
08-17-2010, 08:29 PM
I think the commish should suspend the suspension...you know like when the judge suspends punishment or allows parole--but if he screws up again he serves the full term...just a thought

igor0190
08-17-2010, 10:02 PM
4 games is ridiculous... The suspension should be reduced to 2. If that doesnt happen Goodell is a douchebag in my books forever. It really is absolutely ridiculous how Goodell suspends one and not the next.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-18-2010, 01:00 AM
It's like I said from the beginning when all this happened and the truth came out that Ben didn't do anything to that chick. Every fan who turned their back on Ben and said they'd rather lose than have him as their QB, will now cheer for him and back him just like before. The amount of fans that actually dumped Ben was not near as many as the media made it out to be because all they harped on were these so called "die hard" fans who didn't want anything to do with him, while the rest of us who were clearly in the majority here stood by him.

So yeah Goodell, it's time to lower that suspension some please.

Big T
08-18-2010, 02:05 AM
It's like I said from the beginning when all this happened and the truth came out that Ben didn't do anything to that chick. Every fan who turned their back on Ben and said they'd rather lose than have him as their QB, will now cheer for him and back him just like before. The amount of fans that actually dumped Ben was not near as many as the media made it out to be because all they harped on were these so called "die hard" fans who didn't want anything to do with him, while the rest of us who were clearly in the majority here stood by him.

So yeah Goodell, it's time to lower that suspension some please.

This. Exactly this....

airbrake 1
08-18-2010, 06:21 AM
i don't think goodell would have come down this hard on ben until he saw how some pittsburgh fans turned their back on him. We have only ourselves to blame for the suspension... Stand behind players until proven guilty people or is this america

Layin the wood
08-18-2010, 09:13 AM
You cant judge people just from what you hear or read on TV or in the newspaper. ESPN,Sports Illustrated and all of the other media outlets always gives their views of the story without having all the facts and people tend to believe what they read and hear. I always said innocent until proven guilty and he was proven innocent so its time for Mr. Goddell to put up or shut up, either treat all players the same or let the league run itself. Big Ben deserves a 2 game suspension at most and it should be none at all!!!!

harpo
08-18-2010, 10:23 AM
F Goodell....

LOL....I echo your sentiments. :tt02:

I think 3 games is fair. :imho:

coldrolled
08-18-2010, 10:28 AM
he will get his 4.. Opening day against the Browns.

i still say rooney told goodell to give him more time. just to bring him back to earth.

dixon we go 3-1 leftwich we go 1-3

roosterray
08-18-2010, 11:57 AM
i still say rooney told goodell to give him more time. just to bring him back to earth.

I agree that Rooney was gonna suspend him for conduct detrimental to the team and having Goodell helps with PR for the organization. I don't think the Steelers could have mandated the individual issues for a team suspension. Especially with all the issues that have happened and all the other players not getting suspended for incidents on video or drugs.

coldrolled
08-18-2010, 11:35 PM
Leroy Hill's Assault Charge Could Be Dismissed
Seattle Seahawks linebacker Leroy Hill has entered into a stipulated-order of continuance in Issaquah court that could result in the dismissal of his misdemeanor assault charge, Danny O'Neil of the Seattle Times reports.

Hill was charged by Issaquah (WA) police with fourth-degree assault/domestic violence charge after an incident with his live-in girlfriend in early April.

To have that charged dismissed, O'Neil reports that Hill must complete a state-certified domestic violence treatment program, have no law violations, and will not be allowed to possess weapons. Hill must also adhere to an in-place "no contact" order with the victim until after he enters the domestic violence treatment program.

Despite the continuance, Hill may still be subject to discipline by the NFL. Hill is already suspended for the 2010 regular season-opener after pleading guilty to a misdemeanor drug charge in Georgia.

Steelers guy
08-18-2010, 11:56 PM
I hope Big Ben has a lower suspension, lets see how come Vince Young gets less punishment than Big Ben when Young was acutally arrested were has Ben was just accused? Goodell is a joke.

xxxsteelernation
08-19-2010, 03:31 AM
Ok Goodell is pleased or impressed with ben. What is the basis for his judgement, Ben has been stuck in latrobe for the past 3 weeks. Even though it was confirmed it was not him, he still had been in the area for the golf course urinating incident. that there i thought would have gotten him he six games. Guilty by association, portraying himself in a negative way. They way i've seen it this whole time is that Outside of football ben should be able to do what he wants and not be penalized by the leauge, if someone does something illigal then the local law should handle it that's all. If ben wants to ruin his name that is his poragitive. Dosen't make him that less of a player on the field. Do i want my kid's looking up to him. Maybe not his lifestyle choices but his playing style and his determination on the field sure. It is our jobs as parent to teach our kids right from wrong, not athletes or celebrities. As we've all seen from Mel Gibson latley we are not all perfect. and that is the portrayal i want for my kid. not some cinderella dillusion of because your a celebrity that you have a perfect life.

steelerschick1220
08-19-2010, 11:24 AM
Yes F Goodell and his double standard bullcrap.

No way in HELL did Ben deserve a four game suspension. He shouldve only gotten two games at the MAX.

coldrolled
08-19-2010, 01:35 PM
Brian Cushing's Suspension Upheld
The NFL has announced that Houston Texans linebacker Brian Cushing's four-game suspension for violating the league's performance-enhancing drug policy has been upheld.

Texans owner Bob McNair presented evidence to NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell in an attempt to get Cushing's suspension reduced or dismissed entirely.

Here's then statement released by the NFL on Thursday:

"At the request of Texans owner Bob McNair, Commissioner Goodell reviewed additional medical information presented on behalf of Brian Cushing. The club and Cushing were notified today that after carefully considering all the information, including a review by outside medical experts, the commissioner finds no basis for changing the decision and that Mr. Cushing's suspension for the first four games of the regular season remains in place."

Cushing contends that his positive test for elevated levels of hCG were the result of "Overtrained Athlete Syndrome".

Scorp
09-10-2010, 10:33 AM
How many girls came forward against Ben that were displeased? Goodell is the only one Ben has pleased. Something is up.