BlitzburghRockCity
08-04-2010, 02:06 PM
Flozell Adams - 338
Chris Kemoeatu - 344
Trai Essex - 324
Maurkice Pouncey - 304
Max Starks - 345
Ramone Foster -325

by the looks of these guys you'd think they would be this impenetrable fortress of road graders that no pass rusher could get through or even hope to stop on a running play. If they live up to even half of the they'll be light years ahead of the lines we've fielded the last several years.

In the past we've had smaller, more agile offensive lines that relied on technique and sound scheme's to effectively protect the QB and open up holes for the RB's. This year things could be different.

Layin the wood
08-04-2010, 02:14 PM
If our offensive line can gel together and stay healthy, we should have a ton of rushing TD's this year. Not to mention a nice pocket for DD,BB or BL to throw from!

K Train
08-04-2010, 02:17 PM
essex doesnt count, hes a mammoth but im stronger than him...hes too weak to be considered beef on the oline

LatrobePA
08-04-2010, 02:22 PM
I feel that way about Jordan Sparks, I mean Max Starks!

Silverback
08-04-2010, 02:25 PM
Yeah, but by my book only one of those guys can pass-pro and he hasn't played a snap yet.

SteelerEyeZ
08-04-2010, 02:46 PM
Thats a lot of man (minus Essex, i have not put him in the "man" section yet till i see himplay well)

steelcitysfinestXL
08-04-2010, 02:48 PM
I think the biggest issue with our oline over the last 4 seasons has been the lack of a quality Center. As soon as Jeff Hartings left, this line got worse and worse. But i think we can improve if we build for the inside out.

Sure Starks or Colon arent top 10 L/R tackles, but they are MORE than capable of doing the job. Flozell is a huge question mark to me. He has been on the decline as his age has picked up, now we're asking him to play a new position. Im hoping he can be 70% of the player he was in '07, he'd be a HUGE boost if so. Chris K is manchild who can only benefit by having a better C next to him! Essex is a heady player whether you like him or not, he is capable to fill in at RG this season if Pouncey lives up to expectations and wins this job in camp.

This line could use an ANCHOR in the middle and im hoping Hartwig takes a backseat to Pouncey NEXT WEEK!!! I know theres alot more to it than just being able to block: its schemes, blitz pick ups, making the call and so on! Im just praying hes a quick study!

BlitzburghRockCity
08-04-2010, 05:14 PM
Hartwig knows the writing is on the wall; Pouncey is the future and if he plays like we hope this camp he could be starting by opening or atleast part way into the season. It's just nice to see us having some actual beef on the oline for once instead of putting smurfs out there to battle the green giant :lol:

JensK
08-04-2010, 05:17 PM
Hartwig knows the writing is on the wall; Pouncey is the future and if he plays like we hope this camp he could be starting by opening or atleast part way into the season. It's just nice to see us having some actual beef on the oline for once instead of putting smurfs out there to battle the green giant :lol:

Its all good to have big massive o-line players, if we were using a Drive-blocking scheme. The thing is, we're not, or at least we havnt been for a while. We're using a zone-blocking scheme which favour smaller and more agile players, like Pouncey for example. I can't wait to see what Kugler can do with these players.

HUNT4SEVEN
08-04-2010, 05:29 PM
Me personally i want the line to look like this LT Starks LG Kemo C Pouncey RG Foster and RT either Adams/J.Scott:crossfingers:, I believe that Kruger will have these cats playing lights out come Sundays because he has them working on technique as oppose to that BS that the last O-Line coach taught the players did not buy into that wack system,I can't wait untill the season starts...:tt02:

K Train
08-04-2010, 07:02 PM
flo will be the RT

i hope foster can be the RG....but that all depends on what they do with hartwig, if its hartwigs job at center pouncey is the RG by default.....if pouncey is the center the world is looking up and things get interesting at RG

Speeed
08-04-2010, 10:46 PM
essex doesnt count, hes a mammoth but im stronger than him...hes too weak to be considered beef on the oline

Maybe - but he has technique and experience too. It ain't all about strength. I would rather have him on the line than anyone here at SA, yourself, and myself, included.

Honestly, I don't know what to think about the OL this year. I would rather watch than speculate (at least for the OL).

Black@Gold Forever32
08-05-2010, 05:25 PM
I found this article and since Top Gun already started a thread about the OL, I though I would just put the article in this thread.....Especially since some of you wondered what Kugler is going to do with this group.....Kugler is going to be huge upgrade over Coach Z and really this article points out the OL is at least working on the fundamentals and cut blocking....two area were the Steelers OL has struggled since Tomlin/coach Z came aboard.......I don't if the Steelers OL will dominate but they at least should be more fundamentally sound........I do expect improvement from this unit......

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_693451.html

K Train
08-05-2010, 05:33 PM
Maybe - but he has technique and experience too. It ain't all about strength. I would rather have him on the line than anyone here at SA, yourself, and myself, included.

Honestly, I don't know what to think about the OL this year. I would rather watch than speculate (at least for the OL).
im gonna disagree...as a tackle its all about technique...pass blocking is a science on the outside, on the inside its all about strength in both run and pass blocking. which is why i like essex as the backup LT, as a guard hes useless

BlackGold4vr
08-05-2010, 05:36 PM
Its all good to have big massive o-line players, if we were using a Drive-blocking scheme. The thing is, we're not, or at least we havnt been for a while. We're using a zone-blocking scheme which favour smaller and more agile players, like Pouncey for example. I can't wait to see what Kugler can do with these players.

Its funny when we are calling a 305 pound center smaller and more agile. Pouncey is still a very young man. Remember he came out as a junior. He will put some more weight on his frame naturally as he gets a little older. I believe Pouncey can and will be a road grater in our O-line. Read some of the articles about our new O-line coach. He is getting away from the finesse crap and coaching up the power drive blocking techniques.

Craig Wolfley says, "new O-line coach Sean Kugler has brought a throwback mentality to the Steelers and is teaching more "technically powerful" adjustments.

K Train
08-05-2010, 05:40 PM
pouncey is very strong...he will have no problems and im pretty sure they said he was like 311 which is perfect for him, essex on the other hand is very weak despite having 330 pounds behind him...thats the difference. there should be no such thing as a finesse guard and essex is a 330 pound finesse player

Dallas Burgher
08-06-2010, 07:51 AM
Has anyone heard anything about the competition for O line spots that is not the usual PG or Trib stuff? I would love to see Urbik play up to that third round pick status.

K Train
08-06-2010, 08:26 AM
urbik is a bum, he and tony hills will be on the bubble.

hated the urbik pick from day one, loved the hills pick....so its a wash

Blazedby92
08-06-2010, 09:25 AM
I too would like to see Urbik play up to 3rd round status but it most likely won't happen. I don't even think he will make the 2nd string.

Even though K hates him I think he and everyone else would like that too, don't hold your breathe

Speeed
08-06-2010, 10:56 PM
im gonna disagree...as a tackle its all about technique...pass blocking is a science on the outside, on the inside its all about strength in both run and pass blocking. which is why i like essex as the backup LT, as a guard hes useless

I agree to a point, but I have faith in the coaching staff, and in their decisions. Wasn't Ben a WR in HS? I think (hope) he will do fine. Creating one's own possibilities is the key to success in all endeavors, even on the OL for the Steelers in the 10 season!

Remember, Einstein did not read fluently until middle school. I don't expect the OL to explore theoretical math, but I think they will be fine!