PDA

View Full Version : Pouncey and Dixon

xxxsteelernation
08-02-2010, 05:50 AM
ok, I know i'm a DD homer. lol. but lets use some logic here. Dennis at oregon ran the spread option there better than probably anyone else (except masoli-debateable) He even made tebow look like an underachiver using the same system. Not to take anything away from tebow. for some reason just because your a florida player and in the national limelight he got more press time and what not.. ok this is not about tebow. my ranting sorry. But Pouncy used to play the same kind of offense that dixon is used to .. now i'm not sayin run the option or anything. even though it would throw some defenses off if we threw it in there from time to time. But if we use Pouncy at center I think it would help the o-line or pouncy( someone we just spent alot of money on) and for the first 4 to 6 games let dixon run over the opposing defenses. Just my thought. I'm sorry but leaving leftwich in there is going to be disaster. I was watching him in training camp today and yea he gets the ball out fast. but it dosent hardly go to anyone. several throws to the sideline. several passes over the middle that are freaking high. (which we all know is freakin dangrous) and I've been really watching Dixon with the third stringers his passes have been for the most part dead on just newbies not catching the ball. Give dixon the starters and people who can catch he will show everyone why he was in the running for Heisman.:cope:

greg1964
08-02-2010, 07:55 AM
if Leftwich perform as badly as you indicate, and Dixon perform a great as you indicated, then the Steelers will have a easy decision to make. I personally think Dixion could lead this team the first four weeks, but that decision is not mine to make.

xxxsteelernation
08-02-2010, 08:19 AM
sadly i had to come back home to the south side instead of staying all week I wish i could stay and scout for the rest of the week. but work calls. but yea dixon was lights out except for limas sweed style drops. I know it's early and maybe lefty's trying to hard but I hope we don't ruin our chances with dixon with this lefty coming in and getting the nod. Because when ben does leave Dixon would rock the offense. But dixon contract will be expiring soon and well lefty i don't think will be here next season and batch hopefully will retire and start coaching. I will give him that batch is a darn good coach. if dixon leaves then ben is back without any capable QB. and the upcoming drafts are not a QB high classes. so yea I just hope we can keep dixon in black and gold. (By the way i was born and raised in eugene, oregon home of the ducks explains the homerism, but have been a steeler fan since i was 5)

BlitzburghRockCity
08-02-2010, 09:13 AM
Dixon worked out all offseason with Leftwich and hasn't been able to secure the starting job. He'll get his chances during camp and in the preseason to work with everybody. Lefty is penciled in as the starter right now but it's not set in stone completely yet. If he can perform better than Leftwich then he'll get the job. I would imagine the coaches are more comfortable with Lefty as the starter but if he really falters during the first month of the season they would pull him in favor of Batch or Dixon.

LatrobePA
08-02-2010, 09:49 AM
From what I'm reading Bruce Arians is still running the show completely on offense. That means they're still airing out often, then leans more towards Leftwich.

steelcitysfinestXL
08-02-2010, 09:49 AM
Dixon worked out all offseason with Leftwich and hasn't been able to secure the starting job. He'll get his chances during camp and in the preseason to work with everybody. Lefty is penciled in as the starter right now but it's not set in stone completely yet. If he can perform better than Leftwich then he'll get the job. I would imagine the coaches are more comfortable with Lefty as the starter but if he really falters during the first month of the season they would pull him in favor of Batch or Dixon.

I agree this is MORE of an Open Comp than people OUTSIDE of the organization (us and the media) think. Yes, Lefty is gonna get alot of run with the first team and prob the first start this preseason. Dixon is gonna have to LIGHT IT UP to see some run with the 2nd and first team. I think he has to REALLY impress with his ARM and decision making. In the limited time he may get with the first team as well as dominate with the 3rd team early and often to push for the job!

I do, however, disagree with the comment about Batch. He, IMO, he the 3rd stringer in definately unless Dixon gets hurt. I can remeber Lefty ever "faultering" when the Jags had a good team... and he never had WR's like Ward, Wallace and Miller. He has fallen in love with Wallace and he will enjoy having a stud TE in Heath Miller come game time. This is Leftys job to lose right now, and sorry but i just dont see that happening in the next 4 weeks!

Troyisabeast_43
08-02-2010, 04:33 PM
I agree this is MORE of an Open Comp than people OUTSIDE of the organization (us and the media) think. Yes, Lefty is gonna get alot of run with the first team and prob the first start this preseason. Dixon is gonna have to LIGHT IT UP to see some run with the 2nd and first team. I think he has to REALLY impress with his ARM and decision making. In the limited time he may get with the first team as well as dominate with the 3rd team early and often to push for the job!

I do, however, disagree with the comment about Batch. He, IMO, he the 3rd stringer in definately unless Dixon gets hurt. I can remeber Lefty ever "faultering" when the Jags had a good team... and he never had WR's like Ward, Wallace and Miller. He has fallen in love with Wallace and he will enjoy having a stud TE in Heath Miller come game time. This is Leftys job to lose right now, and sorry but i just dont see that happening in the next 4 weeks!

I agree and while it's not set in stone that Leftwich will be the starter the first 4 weeks and opening day I cant see Leftwich not being the starter. He did very well a few years ago when he filled in for Ben the year the Steelers won the Super Bowl and is very capable of being able to lead this team and win some games. Leftwich has had enough success in this league with the Jags and Steelers for me to feel pretty comfortable with him being the guy for the first month of the season...I expect him to play well and lead the Steelers to 3 wins out of the first 4 games...

BlackGold4vr
08-02-2010, 05:00 PM
I agree and while it's not set in stone that Leftwich will be the starter the first 4 weeks and opening day I cant see Leftwich not being the starter. He did very well a few years ago when he filled in for Ben the year the Steelers won the Super Bowl and is very capable of being able to lead this team and win some games. Leftwich has had enough success in this league with the Jags and Steelers for me to feel pretty comfortable with him being the guy for the first month of the season...I expect him to play well and lead the Steelers to 3 wins out of the first 4 games...

Leftwich has a better arm than Ben. I have yet to see Ben ever put a pass out there that the recievers didn't have to slow down or stop and wait for on the deep routes. Watch some of those old clips of Bradshaw's passes to Stallworth and Swann where they never even broke stride. Ben's only advantage is his mobility and improvisation skills which can also be counted as flaws because he often holds the ball too long intentionally (IMO) so that he can use those improvisational skills. Leftwich is our only QB who could actually overthrow Wallace's speed. :yesnod:

HUNT4SEVEN
08-02-2010, 11:56 PM
Leftwich has a better arm than Ben. I have yet to see Ben ever put a pass out there that the recievers didn't have to slow down or stop and wait for on the deep routes. Watch some of those old clips of Bradshaw's passes to Stallworth and Swann where they never even broke stride. Ben's only advantage is his mobility and improvisation skills which can also be counted as flaws because he often holds the ball too long intentionally (IMO) so that he can use those improvisational skills. Leftwich is our only QB who could actually overthrow Wallace's speed. :yesnod:

:plus1:

DanRooney
08-03-2010, 05:32 PM

The best part about Ben is his accuracy on those intermediate to long throws. There's not a better QB in the league to have in the backfield on a 3rd and long situation. He always throws past the first down marker and does it routinely. His numbers are absolutely incredible for a 6 year starter. And if you haven't realized that Ben's improvisation skills are a strength yet after all of his success than I really don't know what to say.

K Train
08-03-2010, 05:38 PM

lmao

leftwich has a bigger arm than ben, not better. russell had a bigger arm than EVERYONE and he sucked ***. leftwich had 3 WRs and a TE over 6-5 (matt jones, reggie williams, and earnest wilford, with mercedes lewis at TE) and he ALWAYS over shot them...thats not good imo.

bradshaw hit them in stride because they were slower than todays WRs....clips from the 70s would be a bad comparison, ben has a bigger arm than bradshaw...and much faster WRs. im sure ward would have been considered real fast back then, today hes considered slow

LatrobePA
08-03-2010, 05:46 PM
Leftwich sucks any way you slice or dice it...I personally think he'll be the backup of a backup when the smoke clears.

coldrolled
08-03-2010, 06:42 PM
Leftwich sucks any way you slice or dice it...I personally think he'll be the backup of a backup when the smoke clears.

:plus1:

KSSteelerfan
08-04-2010, 03:18 AM
I would sure like to see what DD can do for 4 quarters of football.....:tt02:

Layin the wood
08-04-2010, 09:21 AM
I think Dixon can be a decent starter while BB is out. He looked o.k in the Ratbirds game last year. He'll get his chances this pre-season!!:cope:

LatrobePA
08-04-2010, 09:59 AM
I said it B4, tons of film study on lefty (which isn't needed because he's lousy) and none on DD. That alone may allow us to catch them "off guard" for the first few games...

coldrolled
08-04-2010, 10:34 AM
I said it B4, tons of film study on lefty (which isn't needed because he's lousy) and none on DD. That alone may allow us to catch them "off guard" for the first few games...

Arians said this yesterday.....

Arians is no fan of the 6-foot-3, 209-pound Dixon running a lot. He reiterated yesterday..

Maybe we fire him after game 4...

LatrobePA
08-04-2010, 10:41 AM
Arians said this yesterday.....

Arians is no fan of the 6-foot-3, 209-pound Dixon running a lot. He reiterated yesterday..

Maybe we fire him after game 4...

He also he wants another 4000 yard passer regardless of who's playing...He worries me the dumbass!

Layin the wood
08-04-2010, 11:27 AM
Arians has no clue how to manage an offense!! You have to control the clock and keep your defense off the field as much as possible. If he wants to throw the ball 40 times a game our defense will be wore out by the 4th quarter!

LatrobePA
08-04-2010, 11:45 AM
Arians has no clue how to manage an offense!! You have to control the clock and keep your defense off the field as much as possible. If he wants to throw the ball 40 times a game our defense will be wore out by the 4th quarter!

Amen!:yellowthumb:

DanRooney
08-04-2010, 04:33 PM
I would sure like to see what DD can do for 4 quarters of football.....:tt02:

You missed it last year. 40 percent of his passes completed for a whopping 140 yards!

JensK
08-04-2010, 04:57 PM
You missed it last year. 40 percent of his passes completed for a whopping 140 yards!

And based on one game, you can tell how a player will play for the rest of his life - impressive. Seriously, could we let that game go and look forward? So far, Dixon have thrown way better than Lefty in camp.

xxxsteelernation
08-06-2010, 10:53 PM
And based on one game, you can tell how a player will play for the rest of his life - impressive. Seriously, could we let that game go and look forward? So far, Dixon have thrown way better than Lefty in camp.

ok come on 40% yea that is damn good for only a couple hours of prep time. And look at those incompletions agian. Maybe one or two passes were off, the rest of those were easy catches and reciver dropped the ball not dixon. they were placed perfectly.