PDA

View Full Version : Please - No More Camp Cupcakes

BlackGold4vr
07-30-2010, 04:21 PM
The way that you build team unity and cohesion is by making things as tough as you can make them. Every elite military organization knows this and the rights of passage to join these units is usually described as a life changing experience. Do you think Vince Lombardi or Bear Bryant ever took it easy on their new team because they won something the year before? You want your players to have to reach down deep and show some heart to make it through training camp. Soft camp = Soft team

:2cents:

Put em through the paces coach T!

BlitzburghRockCity
07-30-2010, 05:01 PM
A tough camp is just what the doctor ordered, if he wants to preach about unleashing hell, being mentally tough, not getting out physicalled, and all that then it starts with camp.

How far you push guys like Troy, Aaron Smith, though that's a bit of a different story. Giving veterans a free pass so to speak just because of who they are is the wrong way to go about it but Im not opposed to guys coming off injuries from last season being able to take a slightly lighter workout routine this summer.

BlackGold4vr
07-30-2010, 05:22 PM
I agree that you don't kill a guy coming off of an injury. But true character of a team and its individual players cannot be revealed if the players are not pushed to their limits!

Good players expect to be pushed and know that it is needed in order for them to reach their full potential.

BlitzburghRockCity
07-30-2010, 05:26 PM
Im right with ya. Each season begins with training camp and you set the tone for how things will go over the regular season, in these next few weeks. I fully expect to see these guys worked hard and drilled until they can't drill any more to hammer home how important it is to work together and get every little detail down to the point of not even having to think about it.

We know what we have in the veterans, especially the ones in the twilight of their careers but every capable body needs to be out there busting their butts both in the film room and on the field so we can avoid another 2009 season.

DanRooney
07-30-2010, 05:27 PM
A tough camp is just what the doctor ordered, if he wants to preach about unleashing hell, being mentally tough, not getting out physicalled, and all that then it starts with camp.

How far you push guys like Troy, Aaron Smith, though that's a bit of a different story. Giving veterans a free pass so to speak just because of who they are is the wrong way to go about it but Im not opposed to guys coming off injuries from last season being able to take a slightly lighter workout routine this summer.

I love Hines but sometimes he pisses me off when he doesn't drill with the team and instead watches and gives pointers from the sidelines. He seriously needs to work on his speed which is drastically declining. Yeah yadda yadda he caught a ton of balls last season and had over 1000 yards but a lot of that was due to Ben buying a ton of time for him to get open. He's not going to have that luxury with Leftwich.

BlitzburghRockCity
07-30-2010, 06:44 PM
I would never question Ward's work ethic or his ability to perform on game day. His hamstrings have been problematic for the last few years now and the last thing we need is for him to push himself and miss more time this season. We are already thin at experienced WR's so keeping him healthy and on the field when it counts is the main thing.

When I was at camp last year, he was practicing just as hard as Holmes and the other guys were...plus when they broke for the afternoon he stayed out for atleast another 45 minutes catching balls from the machine and the trainers.

Personally I could care less if Hines does anything in camp at all, we know he'll deliver on game day. The young guys learn a lot from him and he never misses a day of practice even when he is hurt he's still out there teaching.

SteelCityKid5
07-30-2010, 06:54 PM
I could have sworn we had a "soft" camp the year we won the last Super Bowl.

75Steeler
07-30-2010, 07:25 PM
Yeah I don't agree with the soft camp either. We were there on a Wednesday last year and I watched Hines run with the children for the kids camp all afternoon. He must have ran 5 miles with a bunch of little ones following him. I don't mind it as much when it is Hines cause as TG said the guy will deliver. I hope coach Tomlin pumps up the tempo this camp and delivers us a healthy world champ quality team on the first day of regular season play.

Black@Gold Forever32
07-30-2010, 08:42 PM
The days of the NFL in general having really tough training camps is long passed......Every camp across the league is soft.....Especially with Goodell changing rules not just in games but how teams even practice........Goodell wants to eliminate contact even in practice....lol

Cowher even ran soft camps compared to the old days.......

HUNT4SEVEN
07-30-2010, 09:18 PM
I would never question Ward's work ethic or his ability to perform on game day. His hamstrings have been problematic for the last few years now and the last thing we need is for him to push himself and miss more time this season. We are already thin at experienced WR's so keeping him healthy and on the field when it counts is the main thing.

When I was at camp last year, he was practicing just as hard as Holmes and the other guys were...plus when they broke for the afternoon he stayed out for atleast another 45 minutes catching balls from the machine and the trainers.

Personally I could care less if Hines does anything in camp at all, we know he'll deliver on game day. The young guys learn a lot from him and he never misses a day of practice even when he is hurt he's still out there teaching.

Thank u well said:clap::clap:

RIVERS OF STEEL
07-30-2010, 10:54 PM
We are not last years team and f what the rest of the pussy nfl does. Being a steeler is not for sissies. So coach, get in there and kick sum ***. i don't ever want to see such sloppy half assed playing for us again. Ever. You are the coach Mr. Tomlin. It's your job to deliver a team to the NFL ready to win every game. And team, no more of that internecine behavior in the locker room. You are all a bunch of prima donnas bfd.
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d116/goodgirl20/smiley-gosteelers.gif

KSSteelerfan
07-31-2010, 02:58 AM
And here I thought that players were sneaking in cupcakes during training camp....ok just kidding. :yesnod:

BlitzburghRockCity
07-31-2010, 10:33 AM
And here I thought that players were sneaking in cupcakes during training camp....ok just kidding. :yesnod:

When I first read this thread title I was thinking the same thing... "oh crap, the big snack is at it again" :lol: