PDA

View Full Version : Worilds Signed

Zachintosh66
07-28-2010, 05:20 PM
Steelers deal with LB Jason Worilds will be announced on Thursday. 4 years 3.7M with 1.9M guaranteed. #steelers
10 minutes ago via web

http://twitter.com/Steelersdepot/status/19770442489

Can anyone verify?

scudmissile29
07-28-2010, 05:23 PM
http://steelerstoday.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/JasonWorilds.jpg

woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo blitzburgh sackburgh he will get many sacks on flacco wooooooooooooooooo

Big T
07-28-2010, 06:04 PM
I still wouldve rather had Terrence Cody Or Brandon Spikes. Oh well, he has potential... Thaddeus Gibson is about to keep Worilds off the field though.

coldrolled
07-28-2010, 06:07 PM
I still wouldve rather had Terrence Cody Or Brandon Spikes. Oh well, he has potential... Thaddeus Gibson is about to keep Worilds off the field though.

funny, cody was out of condition monday and failed... today he is in condition and passed... sounds like a problem already.

worilds and gibson will be fine. they have great people around them on the field and the coaches. look for butler also.

mos07
07-28-2010, 06:41 PM
One to go........come on Mr. Pouncey, sign your name on the dotted line.

BlitzburghRockCity
07-28-2010, 07:41 PM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10209/1075961-100.stm

Looks like it's a done deal, now just Pouncey is left. If he can outplay that contract I'll be happy. Our depth at LB leaves much to be desired once you get beyond Foote and Keyaron Fox. Our middle is covered pretty well but oustide, we got a whole lot of nothing behind Wood and Harrison. With Worilds in the mix hopefully he can add another dimension and allow us to mix things up if performance or injuries dictate.

Dobre Shunka
07-28-2010, 07:43 PM
Great signing and great draft pick. The rest is up to him.:cope:

scudmissile29
07-28-2010, 08:09 PM

shut up, its the other way around according to mike tomlin, just like we will see at the depth chart #3 olb mr jason worilds.

HUNT4SEVEN
07-28-2010, 09:02 PM
One to go........come on Mr. Pouncey, sign your name on the dotted line.

He will be there Friday believe that...:yellowthumb:

Black@Gold Forever32
07-28-2010, 09:20 PM
Really I don't get the constant who is better Worilds/Gibson debate on this site....Who cares?.....I hope both become very good to great players for this organization......lol Both becoming beasts helps the Steelers greatly in the future.......

I wanted Golden Tate badly but I also liked Sanders before the draft.......So I was fine when Sanders was drafted and I quickly got over the Steelers passing Tate.....

I want every pick to become beasts for the Steelers even the ones I didn't like.....Its unrealistic to want that but I just want to see the best for the Steelers and want to win.......

Big T
07-28-2010, 10:56 PM
shut up, its the other way around according to mike tomlin, just like we will see at the depth chart #3 olb mr jason worilds.

you always turn things personal. I can have my opinion just like you can have yours. I dont know why you always have to go at dudes. It's annoying...

BlackGold4vr
07-29-2010, 02:01 AM
Really I don't get the constant who is better Worilds/Gibson debate on this site....Who cares?.....I hope both become very good to great players for this organization......lol Both becoming beasts helps the Steelers greatly in the future.......

I want every pick to become beasts for the Steelers even the ones I didn't like.....Its unrealistic to want that but I just want to see the best for the Steelers and want to win.......

:plus1: Why wouldn't every Steeler fan want them all to succeed? Pride. Some of our draft guru's hate to admit when they were wrong about someone. They want to be able to tell us, "I told you so". I'm with you, I want them all to succeed. Biggest disappointment for me so far this year? Sweed getting injured and being out for the year. I really thought with Santonio gone that this would be the year Sweed came up big. The guy just can't seem to get out of the starting gate!

steelcitysfinestXL
07-29-2010, 08:23 AM

after all the dumb **** you post here... you're gonna tell someone else to shut up!??! You got nuts that clank huh buddy!?!

--- Added 7/29/2010 at 07:23 AM ---

:plus1: Why wouldn't every Steeler fan want them all to succeed? Pride. Some of our draft guru's hate to admit when they were wrong about someone. They want to be able to tell us, "I told you so". I'm with you, I want them all to succeed. Biggest disappointment for me so far this year? Sweed getting injured and being out for the year. I really thought with Santonio gone that this would be the year Sweed came up big. The guy just can't seem to get out of the starting gate!

Good post... :plus1: i myself wanted Brandon Spikes but was also happy with Worilds... and VERY happy we got Gibson too... that dude was just born to be a Steeler IMO!!

K Train
07-29-2010, 08:25 AM

meh, i like worilds alright, i just would have liked him in the third round better. this is nothing like evander hood or kraig urbik, or frank summers, or AQ shipley. yes i do in fact want them to fail and so far 1 is off the team, 2 are on the chopping block, and hood has done nothing but will continue to hang around due to contract and draft status.

there ill say ill told you so, with worilds i dont expect him to be bad at all hes a good player and a decent fit for the system. the day urbik gets cut is the day my ego grows much to big though

steelcitysfinestXL
07-29-2010, 08:57 AM
meh, i like worilds alright, i just would have liked him in the third round better. this is nothing like evander hood or kraig urbik, or frank summers, or AQ shipley. yes i do in fact want them to fail and so far 1 is off the team, 2 are on the chopping block, and hood has done nothing but will continue to hang around due to contract and draft status.

there ill say ill told you so, with worilds i dont expect him to be bad at all hes a good player and a decent fit for the system. the day urbik gets cut is the day my ego grows much to big though

Other than Hood i can see your point. I, infact, liked the Ziggy pick and think he will pan out to be a Kiesel-like player by the time Aaron Smith has to retire. I know it SUCKS to have to wait for a 1st rounder to develope into a everydown player, but i cant remember too many rooks who have stepped right into that DE spot. The rest of those guys you mentioned have done squat and most like will be cut by the end of this camp. Ill never root against a draft pick... but sometimes i have to admit enough is enough and guys like Shipley, Williy Reid and Bruce Davis gotta go!

K Train
07-29-2010, 09:05 AM
lol i dont mind waiting for a draft pick....ive always loved the sweed pick even though he continually breaks my heart. hood is no 5 tech, hes a 43 undertackle.....those can be found at grocery stores.

its not about waiting to develop. people scoff at me "zomg!!! hes a rookie!! give him more than 1 year jeeezzz!!!" thats fine, but i had a pre-draft opinion on him and where he should be used and where he should be taken....he was a reach and a bad fit and my opinion on that isnt gonna change because hes a steeler. its really not even his fault, but he has no future in a 34. so again, its not the waiting to develop, thats not a problem i know that needs to happen with 90% of players, its that i really believe that once he is developed hes not gonna be good enough still to warrant that first round pick, thats where my issue is. a first round pick on a 3rd down interior pass rusher is stupid. and aside from one ball that fell into his arms his rookie year was unimpressive

and i while i think worilds was a slight reach and was disappointed at the pick because there were better players and bigger needs on the board, hes at the very least a productive players whos a good fit for us schematically, so it doesnt bother me too much. i just think gibson is gonna be the better player, that hurts sdws ***

coldrolled
07-29-2010, 10:16 AM
at ohio state gibson was a LB /DE in Pitsburgh since he is the identical size and faster than farrior.. could be farriors backup or replacement. gibson can cover and tackle anywhere on the field.

worilds is the identical frame and size of woodley.. so i would say he is for sure harrisons backup.

K Train
07-29-2010, 10:34 AM
gibson has been a LB/DE his whole life, but hes nothing like farrior. he doesnt have the frame to play MLB. gibson is more if you mixed timmons with woodley as far as size, strength and overall athletisim goes. worilds is much faster than woodley, but about half as strong. hes a finesse player and woodley is a master of the bull rush

coldrolled
07-29-2010, 11:17 AM
ok, so gibson has a longer torso and shorter legs? is his inseam longer?

fatter thighs and skinner chest?

51 Farrior, James ILB 6-2 243 35 14 Virginia
90 Gibson, Thaddeus OLB 6-2 243 22 R Ohio State

56 Woodley, LaMarr OLB 6-2 265 25 4 Michigan
97 Worilds, Jason OLB 6-2 262 22 R Virginia Tech

57 Fox, Keyaron ILB 6-3 235 28 7 Georgia Tech
47 Sylvester, Stevenson ILB 6-2 231 22 R Utah
92 Harrison, James OLB 6-0 242 32 7 Kent State

K Train
07-29-2010, 11:45 AM
gibson is not nearly the run supporter farrior is. farrior is rare in that coming out of virginia he ran a 4.4 and was a HAMMER in the run game. in his prime he could play all 4 positions. gibson is a pass rusher and despite immense upper body strength he just doesnt have the build to take that kind of beating, hes an edge rusher and very good in coverage before hes a run supporter.

and woodley is pushing 280 i dont care what hes listed as, hes definitely in the 270s

if height and weight were indications of what player they are im PISSED i didnt get drafted last year cause me and rey maualuga are the exact same size. and i have no idea why max starks isnt as good as jonathan ogden, they are both 6-8 345...starks should be hall bound

steelcitysfinestXL
07-29-2010, 11:58 AM
ok, so gibson has a longer torso and shorter legs? is his inseam longer?

fatter thighs and skinner chest?

51 Farrior, James ILB 6-2 243 35 14 Virginia
90 Gibson, Thaddeus OLB 6-2 243 22 R Ohio State

56 Woodley, LaMarr OLB 6-2 265 25 4 Michigan
97 Worilds, Jason OLB 6-2 262 22 R Virginia Tech

57 Fox, Keyaron ILB 6-3 235 28 7 Georgia Tech
47 Sylvester, Stevenson ILB 6-2 231 22 R Utah
92 Harrison, James OLB 6-0 242 32 7 Kent State

You have a good point... guys like Potsy and Gibson have similar builds. But skill set plays a HUGE role in where you'll fit into this or any defense for that matter. Atheletic/Undersized college DE's are prototypical 3-4 OLB's. Lamarr Woodley was a STUD 4-3 DE at Michigan who NEVER played with out his hand on the ground. So for him to make the transition to a 3-4 OLB takes a certain skill set. Speed/Athletecism/Fluid hips for dropping and covering/ pass rush abilites. He has all of that.

Javon Kearse would have been a stud 3-4 OLB. Hense the reason he had hit or miss seasons as an NFL 4-3 DE. Sure he wa a great pass rusher and had speed for days... but run at him and he's useless. Trying to come out of a 3-point stance and take on a T coming foward (run blocking) not back peddling (pass pro) neutralizes his speed, his only asset.

Gibson, while he played some 3-4 at ohio state, also was a 4-3 end at OSU because they played both defenses. Watch his highlights on youtube... he looks AMAZING dropping into coverage and persues relentlessly coming foward. (sack/fumble on the goaline against Mich. was NICE)

Worilds is less likely to engage and more likely to speed rush his man. He's an edge rushing, undersized, atheletic 4-3 (college) DE... a prototypical 3-4 (nfl) OLB. He would struggle in man coverage but with his speed could play zone coverage in the flat. He's like a second coming of Peezy... maybe a lil less power, but with added speed and athletecism! He wouldnt last at ILB long!

coldrolled
07-29-2010, 12:05 PM
gibson is not nearly the run supporter farrior is. farrior is rare in that coming out of virginia he ran a 4.4 and was a HAMMER in the run game. in his prime he could play all 4 positions. gibson is a pass rusher and despite immense upper body strength he just doesnt have the build to take that kind of beating, hes an edge rusher and very good in coverage before hes a run supporter.

and woodley is pushing 280 i dont care what hes listed as, hes definitely in the 270s

if height and weight were indications of what player they are im PISSED i didnt get drafted last year cause me and rey maualuga are the exact same size. and i have no idea why max starks isnt as good as jonathan ogden, they are both 6-8 345...starks should be hall bound

260 + is good for the fast OLB, thats why im thinking maybe gibson goes ilb, it would be nice if he could.. farrior is the old man right now and may be a weak link.

and your right im 5'10" 185 and im not even as good as anthony madison.

JensK
07-30-2010, 05:23 AM
The thing about Gibson is, he is the ideal fit in our scheme. He played just the way we'll ask him to play in college, meaning he have tried to both rush the passer, both with and without his hand on the ground, and he knows how to cover a man in space, which is what we ask our LBs do to. I am growing on Worilds, but i think he'll have a tougher time adjusting to our system than Gibson.

K Train
08-02-2010, 03:18 PM

- Worilds also struggled against offensive linemen, while Gibson again had a great showing. Gibson played against the RT's, and he beat virtually everyone who lined up there. Gibson beat Adams, Jonathan Scott, and Ramon Foster on multiple occassions. The only guy who Worilds was able to beat was Tony Hills. :S

- The best rookies so far have been Thaddeus Gibson and Jason Worilds, in that order. Gibson has been the best "by far," and some reports say he's played "better than some veterans," displaying a monstrous first step and an ability to match offensive linemen's physicality. He has beaten them with both speed and strength. He always plays at full speed and is described as "raw power"

- Worilds is being outplayed by Gibson. And it's not that Worilds is playing bad, he's playing like a rookie, it's just that Gibson is truly beasting it out there

just sayin

Black@Gold Forever32
08-02-2010, 05:48 PM
Well I'm glad Gibson is tearing it up so far.......Ktrain was very high Gibson and I respected his opinion greatly when it came to Gibson......I didn't dislike Gibson but I thought he was a 3rd rounder.......I thought the Steelers made a out like a bandit when they drafted him in the 4th......

My initial thought on Worilds when the pick was announced was that I hope he is more Jason Gildon then Alonzo Jackson.......I read Bill Polian's opinion of Worilds being the 2nd best pass rusher in this past draft and I think Polian knows what he is talking about it....But the question is can Worilds make the transition to OLB?......Polian's opinion might be based on the fact on Worilds being a better fit as 4-3 DE in the Colts system..........

But like some have pointed out that Gibson already has had experience at OLB while Ohio State so he should have a leg up on Worilds in making this transition......By all accounts Worilds hasn't stunk up the joint and at least has showed something......I honestly can say Alonzo Jackson never showed a damn thing.....lol

The Steelers can afford to allow Worilds some time to develop with Harrison/Woodley as the starters and Gibson off to amazing start.......

K Train
08-02-2010, 06:17 PM
lol, everyone has a problem with alonzo jackson, but he seems to have really left a bad taste in your mouth

i just think its funny that worilds was the clear cut #3 OLB according to tomlin because he was such a "beast" (thats me making fun of steeldawgswag since apparently he spews nothing but pure garbage) and a few days in hes not even close to keeping up with gibson who is strong, fast, and exploisive just dominating te rookie race and even winning most matchups with vets.

at least worilds beat tony hills

Black@Gold Forever32
08-02-2010, 07:12 PM
lol, everyone has a problem with alonzo jackson, but he seems to have really left a bad taste in your mouth

i just think its funny that worilds was the clear cut #3 OLB according to tomlin because he was such a "beast" (thats me making fun of steeldawgswag since apparently he spews nothing but pure garbage) and a few days in hes not even close to keeping up with gibson who is strong, fast, and exploisive just dominating te rookie race and even winning most matchups with vets.

at least worilds beat tony hills

Jackson and Troy Edwards are two picks that I will never get over.....lol Yea Gibson is off to a fast start and seems like the ideal fit......You were high on Gibson a long time before him ever being drafted by the Steelers.....I really listened and respected your opinion of Gibson.....He also should have a leg up on Worilds since he does have some past experience playing OLB at Ohio State.....

I have read that Worilds had a rough first day but then I also read he did ok and seemed to improve some.....But I would expect Worilds to struggle some when first making the transition to OLB especially with his footwork......Maybe Worilds can or can't make the transition....Only time will tell and I'm really encouraged by both young players.......

It was clear early on that Woodley was going to be a beast....Most on this site thought so in camp/pre-season back in 2007......You and me were included in the Woodley beast department......So these early signs of dominance by Gibson has me really excited......