PDA

View Full Version : Kevin Colbert inks 5 year extension

SteelCityKid5
07-28-2010, 04:20 PM
http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Steelers-Sign-Kevin-Colbert-to-Contract-Extension/3f5428cb-2bc9-4bd0-8be3-02d6bb917ae0

That's a good move.

BlitzburghRockCity
07-28-2010, 04:28 PM
Nobody can really question his high round draft picks over the years, he usually hits a winner with those, but the day 2 drafting had been less than stellar for years now. How much of those choices were influenced by Colbert vs. Cowher or Tomlin though is up for debate.

Colbert has of course been involved in all personnel operations too besides drafting, and considering the amount of players we've been able to keep in house that's a credit to him as much as any coach and of course guys like Omar Kahn.

Troyisabeast_43
07-28-2010, 04:30 PM
Excellent news to hear that Colbert is staying put and not going anywhere. Without him and his football knowledge the Steelers would not have won their last 2 Super Bowls in 2005 and 2008. Colbert always likes to fly under the radar in terms of taking too much credit for the teams success but there is no doubt that he is a big big reason the Steelers have been so successful here over the last 10 years or so and a big reason why they were able to bring home 2 Lombardi Trophy's in 4 years...

LatrobePA
07-28-2010, 04:34 PM
Cough cough, Woodley, cough cough!

Troyisabeast_43
07-28-2010, 04:40 PM
I believe that somehow someway Woodley will ink a new deal before the start of the season. The Steelers have a way of taking care of their core players and while it might seem like they are ignoring Woodley now they will lock him up and he will have a new deal in place before the September 12th opener against the Falcons...

coldrolled
07-28-2010, 04:47 PM
Nobody can really question his high round draft picks over the years, he usually hits a winner with those, but the day 2 drafting had been less than stellar for years now. How much of those choices were influenced by Colbert vs. Cowher or Tomlin though is up for debate.

Colbert has of course been involved in all personnel operations too besides drafting, and considering the amount of players we've been able to keep in house that's a credit to him as much as any coach and of course guys like Omar Kahn.

Colbert is fine... Arians cant train a new puppy... when hes gone, then our picks will look better..

K Train
07-28-2010, 04:54 PM

anyone can hit with a first rounder (even though there are some idiots that dont), thats not that impressive. we could do worse obviously, but could probably do better too. im neutral

coldrolled
07-28-2010, 05:48 PM
wheres arians 5 year extension? lol

Dobre Shunka
07-28-2010, 07:45 PM
Good news. He's done his job, overall, through the years. I'm all in.

cmerrifield
07-28-2010, 08:46 PM
I was a little down on his previous 2 or 3 drafts, but this last one I was very happy with. So, hopefully he will continue to help us improve the team and win Super Bowls

Black@Gold Forever32
07-28-2010, 09:03 PM
anyone can hit with a first rounder (even though there are some idiots that dont), thats not that impressive. we could do worse obviously, but could probably do better too. im neutral

Missing your first rounders really sets you back........I agree we could do better.....But the HC has say in draft picks to (especially when Cowher was the HC)......Cowher probably had more stroke in draft picks then Colbert........Big reason why Cowher and Tom Donahoe didn't get along and why Donahue left the organization was due to Cowher wanting more power........

I'm sure Colbert has more stroke since Tomlin has been HC but Tomlin could have more say in draft matters since winning a Super Bowl......So I don't know really how much blame or credit we can give Colbert?.....

greg1964
07-29-2010, 07:25 AM
if we are going to blame Colbert for failed picks, Alonzo Jackson, Ricardo Colclough, Anthony Smith, Bruce Davis, all 2nd - 4th round picks that didn't do jack while they were here: then we need to give him credit for finding the Ramon Foster, Willie Parkers FA players that made team. The Willie Colon, Larry Foote, Brett Keisel, Ike taylor, Chris Kemoeatu, all 4th round and lower picker that have made major impact on the Steelers roster. And though out the ten years Colbert has been hear, the Steelers have won 2 Super Bowls, have gone to 4 AFC championship games and only missed the playoffs three of those years. Our highest pick during that same time frame was 11th (Big Ben). My point is that Colbert has done a good job.

BlitzburghRockCity
07-29-2010, 08:28 AM
He's got a good sense in personnel decisions overall and his knowledge of how the draft and cap works is second to none. Nobody knows how much influence coaches, scouts, etc. have in the eventual decision but it's a safe assumption that it's quite alot. Most of Cowhers picks during his tenure weren't always a unanimous decision but because Bill wanted it he usually got what he wanted. Draft pick woes can be attributed as much to Cowher/Tomlin as they can be to Colbert or anyone else.

Im more or less neutral as well on this too.