PDA

View Full Version : Can this defense regain it's dominance?

BlitzburghRockCity
07-25-2010, 02:08 AM
Obviously we're not going to see much in preseason from the starters, we never do...that is unless Tomlin pulls out something different this year. So I'm wondering how much gas this defense will have this year as it wears on.

Last year, stat wise, we weren't the worse defense in the league by any means, but we all know how much this unit struggled. They blew leads late in the game time and time again, the amount of int's made by DB's could be counted on 1 hand, they couldn't stop the run, pass defense was horrific, the pass rush wasn't getting there consistently, etc.

This unit, guys like Hampton, Smith, Kiesel, Farrior, all of whom are either in the twilight of their careers or headed that way in the very near future are such key components that it's absolutely critical that they stay healthy and on the field. We've literally done very little to improve this defense over the offseason, so basically we're returning the same unit minus the injuries hopefully. Perhaps last year was a fluke because of all the players missing so many games and young players just not being ready to step up, or was it a sign of the times that our beloved Blitzburgh as we know it now needs to be severely revamped. Only time will tell, but given the fact that the only key addition on defense was McFadden (which is HUGE if you ask me), we'll have to find out how much gas the veterans have in the tank. If anybody can get the job done, it's Lebeau, but only he can do so much. The scheme is sound, it's proven to be rock solid for decades but if the players don't execute then it doesn't mean much.

Polamalu is a given, without him in the secondary we are vulnerable in any given scenario on defense. He affects the pass and run defense in such a big way that you can't discount him when you're the opposing offense. If he so much as misses even a few games we will be in trouble.

I would like to think that if we stay healthy on defense this year, they can step up and get the job done just like a couple years ago when we lead the league in nearly every defensive category...but we shall see.

Dean Denton
07-25-2010, 04:51 AM
It all sounds great, but like you said its the group coming back, and that could be bad. If Troy is on the field you can bet the outside LB's will be getting more sacks. Troy is great at making QB's hold that ball just a few seconds longer to let those LB's get there and without him the Steelers struggled last year. He really should have been team MVP last year because it changed everything with him out. Never thought one guy could make such a difference. I should have learned from Bob Sanders that year the Colts won the SB.

Black@Gold Forever32
07-25-2010, 06:24 AM
You hit on the Troy factor.......So I'm not going to comment any further on Troy........

But if Lawrence Timmons take the next step in his game and becomes more consistent overall then he could add a boost to this defense.....Especially if he replaces Farrior at the Mack.......I think last year the writing was on the wall for Farrior and his age is catching up to him........

I'm hoping the addition of McFadden and young players like Keenan Lewis, Joe Burnett help the secondary this year......Lewis and Burnett have a year of experience under the belt now and should be more comfortable this year.......In my opinion Will Allen is an upgrade over Tyrone Carter......It won't matter if Troy is hurt a majority of the time again......But it was evident last year that Carter was finished as a player......

I'm hoping Ziggy Hood shows significant improvement so he can rotate to keep Smith and Keisel fresh..........Both are in their 30s and they're going to need a young pup like Hood to take snaps from them at times to give them a blow.......

I would love to see Worilds and Gibson contribute this year....But we all know that it usually takes time for this DE converted to OLB to get fully comfortable before they can be counted to make plays.....Woodley by the end of his rookie year did have four sacks and two in the post-season..........If one of those young OLBs or both can contribute early on then that really could give a boost to the defense.....

DanRooney
07-25-2010, 06:42 AM
As long as Polamalu and Smith stay healthy this season, I believe we have the best defense in the league. Everyone knows our secondary is the worst part of the unit and personally I think our situation is a mess. I think Lewis and Burnett are just going to rot on the bench until Tomlin grows some balls and gets them some playing time. Of course, we all know Tomlin doesn't have balls and our secondary has to be abyssal for 10 weeks for him to even think about changing anything. It took him until WEEK 17 to demote Gay to nickel even though he was teasing us about it for at least 3 weeks prior. I don't think I've witnessed a starting corner in the league worse than him and I'm being completely honest. Just rewatch the entire season and single him out. He falls by himself, gets beat consistently, and looks completely clueless out there. McFadden is a huge upgrade.

As far as our line goes, I think Ziggy can rotate with Aaron enough this season to keep him fresh the entire season. Our linebackers as a whole are far beyond the best in the league and only got better with the added youth of Worilds and Gibson. Farrior still worries me and I'm wondering if LeBeau will ever sit his boyfriend for a few snaps and rotate Foote or Fox.

scudmissile29
07-25-2010, 07:21 AM
Taylor had just as bad rating as Gay so I don't know what your talking about, and for what it's worth this cornerback stat keeping site rated something like the 20th worst.

airbrake 1
07-25-2010, 07:50 AM
Barring injury this defense can absolutely regain it's spot at the top of the NFL. While there are definetly problems in the secondary, i still believe Le Beau is putting the players he feels gives us the best chance to win in the game. I would definetly like to see more of lewis and burnett but these guys have to earn their way onto the field, not just because the guy in front of them is struggling. I don't think dick LeBeau went senile overnight, the throwing mud against the wall to see what sticks coaching philosophy doesn't work long term... There was a running joke in pittsburgh for all the years between terry bradshaw and ben roethlisberger Q: Who is the most popular player on the steelers? A: The back-up quarterback until he got his opportunity to play... Let's hope lewis and burnett are ready to step up... GO STEELERS

steelersbabex25
07-25-2010, 08:57 AM
Everyone talks about how the loss of Troy Polamalu killed our defense last year, and don't get me wrong, it definitely did, but I think people forget about Aaron Smith a lot. Smith is one of the most if not the most important player on defense and to have him go down for the entire season killed us as well, not to mention Polamalu going down with him. A lot is being said that maybe Polamalu's knee is still weak, maybe Smith and Polamalu aren't fully healed. But maybe with the additions of McFadden and Hood, injuries to these players won't be nearly as bad as they were last year..maybe not, "kiss your season goodbye" caliber.

BlitzburghRockCity
07-25-2010, 10:43 AM
BG32 made a good point about Lewis & Burnett. Those guys got some experience last year, my only fear is that they don't turn into another William Gay and just flop under the pressure of getting more playing time. There's no indication that they will, but Gay showed a lot of promise 2 years ago and when he took over at CB it was a disaster. Hopefully those 2 new guys can step up when their number is called.

Ziggy Hood is another guy who needs to show up this year and take control of his destiny on this team. It would be pretty damn hard, if not impossible to unseat the starting 3 we have now, but since Lebeau rotates DL all the time to keep them fresh, he'll get his chances and we need to see him perform and earn that 1st round pick money he's getting.

cmerrifield
07-25-2010, 11:17 AM
Yeah, I feel like this year will be Tomlin's year to either prove he was worth hiring or prove the critics were right. He has some young guys he like who can start getting some playing time. I know we resigned a lot of Cowher's guys this offseason, but I think it will be Tomlin's guys that will make or break this team. Guys like Timmons, Lewis, Hood, Wallace and probably Pouncey and this years draft too. I think those will be the determining factor on whether or not this team returns to greatness. This team needs to make the playoffs, or I dont think Tomlin will see another extension.

MattyVfromCT
07-25-2010, 01:47 PM
do i think it will return to a typical steelers defense? yes. can it be dominant like 08? possibly. we shall see. i definitely expect us to be better than last year but that depends on guys staying healthy. obviously troy and smith going down were key reasons for why our d didn't live up to the 08 performance. but to me the biggest reason was william gay as our #2 corner. he allowed the highest completion % out of every db in the league if i'm not mistaken. and i believe it was somewhere around 75% and that is god awful. trading to bring back b-mac was the biggest move we did in the draft imo. mcfadden is a solid corner who knows our system well. is he deion sanders? hell no, BUT he's head and shoulders better than willie f'n gay. ike needs to play better also but i like what i've been hearing about the work ethic of our corners in ota's and hopefully that continues into the season. also, we'll see if gay can even win the nickelback job. burnett and lewis have a year under their belts and i've been hearing good things about crezdon butler.

the loss of troy was huge. we allowed almost 10 more points per game in the 11 games he missed vs the 5 he played. passing yardage is about the same, BUT, the difference is passing touchdowns is alarming. we allowed 2 passing touchdowns in the 5 games troy played in, and 2 of those were less than a half he played in. in the 11 he missed we allowed 20 passing touchdowns. that is ridiculous. now granted you could make the argument that we played better teams in the 11 troy missed such as san diego, minnesota, green bay, etc but we also lost to some garbage teams like cleveland, oakland and kansas city.

obviously troy was a huge loss for us but i think losing aaron smith was just as big if not a bigger loss. he is our best run stuffer and imo our best d-lineman. some may argue for hampton but i believe that smith is better. while our run d was ranked 3rd last year, behind only minnesota and green bay, there's a noticeable difference in yards allowed on the ground in games smith played vs games he missed. in the 5 games smith played in, we allowed 71.2 rushing yards per game. in the 11 games he was out, we allowed 98.37 rushing yards per game, a difference of 27.17. not a huge difference but definitely noticeable. in 07 it was even worse. in the 11 games smith played in, we allowed 71.73 rush yards per game, very similar to 09. in the 6 he missed including the wild card round against jacksonville, we allowed 130.67 rushing yards per game, a 58.94 yard difference. that is insane. it boggles my mind how aaron smith does not get anywhere near the credit he deserves. and it's not just the difference in rushing yards allowed. he takes up multiple bodies, and can pressure the qb despite not getting a lot of sacks. his loss was one of the main reasons we did not have a consistent pass rush. ziggy hood didn't step up until the 2nd game against the rats.

another problem we had was the performance of our inside linebackers. timmons is soft against the run and average in coverage but a great pass rusher. farrior was bad last year. he looked slower than a whaling vessel. i think part of it had to do with aaron smith's injury because farrior looked the same in late 07 when smith went down as well. he doesn't have much left in the tank. i'm curious to see how much playing time he gets. i don't want to see him in on 3rd down or long passing situations. he was burned by tight ends and running backs catching passes in his zone. they brought back foote and drafted sylvester to play inside. we'll see how much time those guys get

this year depends on troy and aaron staying healthy as well as how our inside linebackers and corners perform. i think it can be a dominant defense but like i said before, we shall see.

Black@Gold Forever32
07-25-2010, 01:53 PM
Everyone talks about how the loss of Troy Polamalu killed our defense last year, and don't get me wrong, it definitely did, but I think people forget about Aaron Smith a lot. Smith is one of the most if not the most important player on defense and to have him go down for the entire season killed us as well, not to mention Polamalu going down with him. A lot is being said that maybe Polamalu's knee is still weak, maybe Smith and Polamalu aren't fully healed. But maybe with the additions of McFadden and Hood, injuries to these players won't be nearly as bad as they were last year..maybe not, "kiss your season goodbye" caliber.

The loss of Smith was huge no doubt........Smith not in the lineup hurt the run defense especially.......

But another point to make here about the defense returning to dominance is the whole entire defense had a nice big slice of humble pie last year........The injuries killed the defense but I also think the defense along with the whole team were just alittle to comfortable after winning the Super Bowl........I think they're embarrassed after last season and I can see the defense really come and make a statement this season.....

DIESELMAN
07-25-2010, 03:01 PM
Staying healthy and depth has always been an issue the past few seasons. If we can stay healthy and get valuable experience to the backups, we'll be fine.

Iron City South
07-25-2010, 05:38 PM
This team is rebuilding. Nobody wants to say it because the very word "REBUILDING" is taboo around the league because it implies that there COULD be some impact to ticket sales.

I expect them to at least be as good as they were last year. If the team stays healthy, my expectation will obviously go up and I would expect them to be better and make the playoffs.

DanRooney
07-25-2010, 07:45 PM
Taylor had just as bad rating as Gay so I don't know what your talking about, and for what it's worth this cornerback stat keeping site rated something like the 20th worst.

Yeah and the Steelers supposedly had a top 5 defense last year according to the stats. But if you watched the games like we all did, we saw something completely different. Stats can embellish certain things, especially in a position like CB where most stats are ambiguous.

steelcitysfinestXL
07-26-2010, 12:50 PM
Yeah and the Steelers supposedly had a top 5 defense last year according to the stats. But if you watched the games like we all did, we saw something completely different. Stats can embellish certain things, especially in a position like CB where most stats are ambiguous.

I agree totally... we had a top 3 defense last season... thru the first 3 quaters of games. Taylor only looked as bad (on paper) as Gay due to the fact Clark and Carter played so terrible. Alot of Ike's mistakes were amplified because his over the top help was AWFUL. I attribute that to the fact hes used to playing next to the best safety in the league and not Ty Carter who was ALWAYS out of position.

To me the signing of Foote was MASSIVE. He's was the heart of this d and the locker room after Peezy left. Plus he'll add depth to the middle. If Smith and Troy stay healty this d is better than last year, even in the st 3 quarters. The signing of B-mac gets us back to 08-09. And if Hood, Burnett, Worilds and Lewis add support this D could be GREAT!!!

scudmissile29
07-26-2010, 12:56 PM

I watched them as well, the worst play IMO i saw all season was Ike Taylor trying to push that raiders rookie out of bounds (murphy) instead of wrapping him up preventing the touchdown, that there just showed me how much he had given up. at least gay made a good play against the dolphins.

Iron City South
07-27-2010, 06:46 AM
Our defense lacks the "street swag" that it had when Joey Porter was on the team. Their was a certain attitude then that is totally missing right now. It was evident last year when lesser teams were punching us in the mouth and there was NO retaliation.

This Steelers team needs emotional leaders just as much as it needs physical ones. Until we get that "smashmouth" back, I will not be satisfied.

coldrolled
07-27-2010, 09:03 AM
Our defense lacks the "street swag" that it had when Joey Porter was on the team. Their was a certain attitude then that is totally missing right now. It was evident last year when lesser teams were punching us in the mouth and there was NO retaliation.

This Steelers team needs emotional leaders just as much as it needs physical ones. Until we get that "smashmouth" back, I will not be satisfied.

well cinci.. it says is looking to sign TO, so they could have 85, TO, Bryant.

we better hope our CB's are ready.

--- Added 7/27/2010 at 08:03 AM ---

TO update. i guess the bengals made an offer but the Jets have not spent enough yet this year.

Jets Jump Into T.O. Sweepstakes
After beating them in back-to-back weeks in January, the New York Jets continue to make things difficult for the Cincinnati Bengals.

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the Jets are exploring the idea of signing Terrell Owens, and have reached out to Owens' agent, Drew Rosenhaus.

Schefter says a deal with a Jets is a long-shot, described by his source as having a "20 percent" chance of happening.

Owens has reportedly received an incentive-laden offer to join the Bengals, but another team's interest would drive his price tag upwards.

LatrobePA
07-27-2010, 09:23 AM
Yes, but not w/ out the WOOD!!

DIESELMAN
07-27-2010, 09:26 AM

:plus1: There was a time when teams would look at their schedule, hoping and praying the Steelers were not on it.

K Train
07-27-2010, 09:35 AM
well cinci.. it says is looking to sign TO, so they could have 85, TO, Bryant.

we better hope our CB's are ready.

--- Added 7/27/2010 at 08:03 AM ---

TO update. i guess the bengals made an offer but the Jets have not spent enough yet this year.

Jets Jump Into T.O. Sweepstakes
After beating them in back-to-back weeks in January, the New York Jets continue to make things difficult for the Cincinnati Bengals.

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the Jets are exploring the idea of signing Terrell Owens, and have reached out to Owens' agent, Drew Rosenhaus.

Schefter says a deal with a Jets is a long-shot, described by his source as having a "20 percent" chance of happening.

Owens has reportedly received an incentive-laden offer to join the Bengals, but another team's interest would drive his price tag upwards.
thats such a joke.

on TO going to cincy:

TO has been on a rapid decline...thats why the cowboys were ok with letting him go, frankly patrick crayton is a better receiver at this point in their careers. im sure TO will catch some passes but he is merely a depth signing for anyone at this point. id like him as the steelers #3 but thats just because i cant ****ing stand randle el. bryant has knee problems and really isnt that good, chad is really not that good and through his 3 years of bitching he has quietly turned 32, and TO has been shut down by our d in his prime, same with chad johnson. in madden that trio looks pretty, in real life id rather have our guys.

on him going to the jets:

ok i love holmes but he drops alot of balls...the trio of holmes, edwards, and TO with mark sanchez delivering the passes would absolutely SHATTER the dropped pass record. thats the worst set of 6 hands in the league at the WR position. im pretty sure all have led the league in drops at some point in their career

75Steeler
07-27-2010, 09:46 AM

I agree with ICS. I do think our vets have something to prove though and may just have enough left in the tank to get the job done this year. If Troy stays healthy and Aaron Smith plays to his potential we should be a top 5 defense in the league. I worry about Woodley going into this year with no new contract. He may play conservative to avoid injury so he will be more marketable to another team. He also won't worry about taking a leadership role. This is just my opinion though.

K Train
07-27-2010, 09:57 AM
i dont know why they wont restructure woodley for a one year deal to give him more than the sad salary hes getting now being a top 5 pass rusher. give the man a decent bonus and a 30% increase to the base salary and promise him a new deal next year.

btw rumor has it there is going to be 2 EXTRA franchise tags in the new agreement. someone posted it on another site and i looked it up, looks like it holds some water. if theres no franchise tag woodley is as good as gone

75Steeler
07-27-2010, 10:10 AM
i dont know why they wont restructure woodley for a one year deal to give him more than the sad salary hes getting now being a top 5 pass rusher. give the man a decent bonus and a 30% increase to the base salary and promise him a new deal next year.

btw rumor has it there is going to be 2 EXTRA franchise tags in the new agreement. someone posted it on another site and i looked it up, looks like it holds some water. if theres no franchise tag woodley is as good as gone

Agreed! :plus1: Woodley should be the Steelers top priority right now and they need to do it before camp!

K Train
07-27-2010, 10:14 AM
they wont, it would be a crushing blow from all angles to lose him as he is a big time fan favorite, and an elite all around player

coldrolled
07-27-2010, 10:24 AM
they wont, it would be a crushing blow from all angles to lose him as he is a big time fan favorite, and an elite all around player

his deal will get done. hes a fan favorite. the whole league is holding out on contracts like woodley's.. we need to get pouncey and worilds signed this week.

scudmissile29
07-27-2010, 10:33 AM

dont worry we have another elite all around player to replace him

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwbbsXdTVcc

K Train
07-27-2010, 10:44 AM
i cant see youtube at work but im sure its you riding on worilds nuts who will never be half the player woodley is

LatrobePA
07-27-2010, 11:00 AM
i cant see youtube at work but im sure its you riding on worilds nuts who will never be half the player woodley is

It's an Ike Taylor clip...hahahaaa

K Train
07-27-2010, 11:02 AM
alright, well that makes even less sense lol

BlitzburghRockCity
07-27-2010, 11:07 AM
I would think the franchise and transition tags will be around in some form or fashion. Players don't always like it but lets face it, in the interest of getting a deal done they are guaranteed BIG money in the interim so it's not all bad. they get a big pay day for 1 year while their current team buys themselves some extra time to try and work out a deal.

As far as Woodley's deal goes, it is a mystery at this point but I think it's a safe bet that both sides have talked as to why there isn't a deal on the table yet so while Woodley would rather have his money now, the Steelers are content to wait and see how the CBA goes and what options are available with tags, bonuses, etc. If a lockout happens they don't want to be stuck having given him a huge signing bonus and then not have him on the field.

The Steelers have always rewarded their talented linebackers with good deals and given Woodley's success so early on there's no reason to think they won't do all they can to bring him back. Plus that deal that Dumervil got in Denver is off the charts and you know Wood is keeping that in the back of his mind.

It's a tough call for teams like Pittsburgh show are traditionally very cap sensitive and even in a no cap year, they don't blow their wallets wide open, so at this point it's anybody's guess but I will stand by my statement that I will be shocked if he is not re-signed at some point. You don't find linebackers like him every day.

75Steeler
07-27-2010, 11:51 AM
Yeah I'm just shocked that nothing has happened with Woodley's situation heading into camp.

greg1964
07-27-2010, 12:40 PM
A healthy Troy and the return of BM: with the benching of Gay: enough said:

Iron City South
07-27-2010, 01:12 PM
As far as Woodley's deal goes, it is a mystery at this point but I think it's a safe bet that both sides have talked as to why there isn't a deal on the table yet so while Woodley would rather have his money now, the Steelers are content to wait and see how the CBA goes and what options are available with tags, bonuses, etc. If a lockout happens they don't want to be stuck having given him a huge signing bonus and then not have him on the field.

The Steelers have always rewarded their talented linebackers with good deals and given Woodley's success so early on there's no reason to think they won't do all they can to bring him back.

I think there's more to it than this. Two things the Steelers have to watch closely with over the next few months with regard to the Woodley negotiation -

1) The production of an aging James Harrison (some LB's hit a massive wall once they get into their 30's and 2) The progress of 2 excellent draft picks in Worilds and Gibson. If both look like quick learners and gamers ..... they could throw a tag on Woodley and keep him around another year while these 2 develop to be our future OLB's. If Harrison looks like he's fallen off a little, then it's likely that they would throw longer term money at Woodley and choose to let Harrison's contract expire. Silverback would be the short term guy.

Either way, they need to sit tight and see how things play out over the next few months.

scudmissile29
07-27-2010, 02:13 PM
Tomlin already likes worilds more than gibson, and yes I'll always ride his nuts since im a homer, the way it is.

LatrobePA
07-27-2010, 02:19 PM
Tomlin already likes worilds more than gibson, and yes I'll always ride his nuts since im a homer, the way it is.

I always loved that show "nut rider" Kit was a cool car!! lol

K Train
07-27-2010, 02:51 PM

yeah we'll see....gibson hasnt had time since ohio state misses most OTAs

Black@Gold Forever32
07-27-2010, 02:57 PM
I really could careless who is better.....I hope both Worilds and Gibson turn out to be bad asses........lol As for Woodley....he will be paid trust me........

scudmissile29
07-27-2010, 03:05 PM
yeah we'll see....gibson hasnt had time since ohio state misses most OTAs

doesnt matter theres a reason why we picked worilds ahead of gibson, a better prospect and obviously we liked worilds more and even woodley says worilds is a beast.

:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::b anana:

JensK
07-27-2010, 03:12 PM
doesnt matter theres a reason why we picked worilds ahead of gibson, a better prospect and obviously we liked worilds more and even woodley says worilds is a beast.

Could you link that? I missed that comment. Also, when they are picked really does not mean that much. Its been used a million times before, but im going to mention Alonzo Jackson as a great example.

Black@Gold Forever32
07-27-2010, 03:22 PM
Could you link that? I missed that comment. Also, when they are picked really does not mean that much. Its been used a million times before, but im going to mention Alonzo Jackson as a great example.

When Worilds was drafted I stated I hope he is more Jason Gildon then Zo Jackson........lol

As you stated draft status doesn't mean a thing now........Both Worilds and Gibson are unproven at the NFL level and both have to show they belong......

coldrolled
07-27-2010, 03:49 PM
thats such a joke.

on TO going to cincy:

TO has been on a rapid decline...

Owens suggests heíll cut salary in half to be a Bengal

Posted: July 27th, 2010 | Frank Tadych | Tags: Chad Ochocinco, Cincinnati Bengals, Terrell Owens

With the Bengals continuing to show interest in Terrell Owens and the Jetsí pursuit being nothing more than a phone call, the receiver has tipped off what heís looking to get paid.

The number is in the neighborhood of $3.25 million, or roughly half of what Owens collected during his only season in Buffalo ($6.5 million). Iím guessing itís not an accident that Owens threw out that particular number, but the figure has been met with some skepticism around the halls of NFL Network.

K Train
07-27-2010, 04:17 PM

thats cute but the way you use "doesnt matter" is stupid. ill just come back with "doesnt matter" urbik was our second round pick last year and hes on the roster bubble, in facr they are so down on him they brought in adrian jones who is AWFUL. these draft pick status's dont matter, they had a board and stuck to it (even though they reached for worilds and there were a handful of better players)

the steelers have certainly had their fair share of failed 2nd and 3rd round picks and honestly they tend to reach a little bit in those rounds especially it seems. urbik, wallace (was a reach...a delightful one though), lewis, bruce davis...ect

i like worilds alright, i think he'll be decent but i really think gibson will be better, hes got way more upside

scudmissile29
07-27-2010, 04:48 PM

woodleys facebook/twitter page

coldrolled
07-27-2010, 06:56 PM
thats cute but the way you use "doesnt matter" is stupid. ill just come back with "doesnt matter" urbik was our second round pick last year and hes on the roster bubble, in facr they are so down on him they brought in adrian jones who is AWFUL. these draft pick status's dont matter, they had a board and stuck to it (even though they reached for worilds and there were a handful of better players)

the steelers have certainly had their fair share of failed 2nd and 3rd round picks and honestly they tend to reach a little bit in those rounds especially it seems. urbik, wallace (was a reach...a delightful one though), lewis, bruce davis...ect

i like worilds alright, i think he'll be decent but i really think gibson will be better, hes got way more upside

Well i guess we will see how TO plays twice a year... i hope your right and he sucks.

Mike Florio of ProFootballTalk.com reports that the Cincinnati Bengals have signed veteran free agent wide receiver Terrell Owens.

Per PFT.com, Owens will receive a $2 million dollar base salary, and can earn an additional $2 million via incentives. Owens was reportedly seeking a $5 million dollar contract earlier this off-season.

K Train
07-27-2010, 07:35 PM
TO and chad johnson would have been so good 5 years ago, today they are barely average

coldrolled
07-27-2010, 07:43 PM
TO and chad johnson would have been so good 5 years ago, today they are barely average

i guess we will see how it plays out... our secondary better man up.

4 games now with the ravens and cinci receivers should be a barometer for us.

scudmissile29
07-27-2010, 07:44 PM

worilds will be beast, you will thank me when he splits flaccos skull into two in a about 3 years.

K Train
07-27-2010, 08:00 PM
never would i thank you for being a va tech fan and wanting to blow a second round draft pick because he went to va tech

just because the same athlete you wanted to blow panned out as a professional football player doesnt mean we will credit you for the pick. thats the opposite of making sense

K Train
07-27-2010, 08:01 PM
i guess we will see how it plays out... our secondary better man up.

4 games now with the ravens and cinci receivers should be a barometer for us.

i bet mike wallace puts up better numbers than chad, TO, and boldin

Real Deal Steel
07-27-2010, 09:43 PM
MIke Wallace will put up better numbers then two of the three. No doubt.

steelcitysfinestXL
07-28-2010, 07:46 AM

:plus1: A GREAT example of this is Timmons 1st round and Woodley 2nd round... one guy is a ProBowler and one guy is still waiting to break out! I look at a guy like Paul Poz, who was drafted after Timmons by buffalo... he would of been a complete stud in the BUCK position. But we drafted the "athelete" who is a project in a few positions, instead of the guy we KNEW could only play the inside. Plus Poz OBVIOUSLY wa an injury prove player.

Worilds and Gibson will push for reps... and Wood WILL GET HIS DEAL!!!! He needs to keep his mouth shut and play ball. The Steelers are smart NOT to sign him until the CBA gets hashed out. Wood needs to look at Chris Johnsons deal (or lack there of). He didnt get any money, any years... just $2.5 mil. in INCENTIVES!!!! So if he goes out in week 16 and has a career ending injury, he still doesnt get a deal he COULD have worked out during the season if/when the CBA gets settled!!!! Dumb move on his part IMO!!! Woodley is a Probowler with nothing but rookie behind him... he's gonna get the best deal possible if he waits it out! Better than CJ's deal for this year!!!

yeah im a lil more nervous about an up and coming qb (flacco) behind an improving OL (baltimore's OL) and a LEGIT top flight WR (Boldin) than i am about 85,81 and Carson Palmer... sorry just doesnt mean much more than a circus act and a publicity stunt!!!

worilds will be beast, you will thank me when he splits flaccos skull into two in a about 3 years.

the part in bold is good... you should have stopped there!!!

K Train
07-28-2010, 08:49 AM
im gonna disagree with you on paul....hes one of only probably 2 penn state players ive ever liked but back then MLB was not a need at all, we had lost joey porter and james harrison was a big ??????????? and clark haggans sucked ***. Farrior was playing out of his mind and foote was solid and we had harrison who was the backup there. harrison ran away with the OLB spot which let timmons sit his rookie year and woodley was unblockable from day one and got situational playing time. taking the two OLBs was a good choice, in hindsight it probably would have been better to take david harris at some point instead of timmons, or hell we should have traded up for willis or revis but no one knew harrison was gonna be so amazing wherever we put him so timmons made sense and i love timmons i think hes gonna have a big year

steelcitysfinestXL
07-28-2010, 11:44 AM
im gonna disagree with you on paul....hes one of only probably 2 penn state players ive ever liked but back then MLB was not a need at all, we had lost joey porter and james harrison was a big ??????????? and clark haggans sucked ***. Farrior was playing out of his mind and foote was solid and we had harrison who was the backup there. harrison ran away with the OLB spot which let timmons sit his rookie year and woodley was unblockable from day one and got situational playing time. taking the two OLBs was a good choice, in hindsight it probably would have been better to take david harris at some point instead of timmons, or hell we should have traded up for willis or revis but no one knew harrison was gonna be so amazing wherever we put him so timmons made sense and i love timmons i think hes gonna have a big year

Yeah i know what you mean... Porter wasnt resigned and Harrison (though i thought he showed he was a capable starter in his limited action) was a question mark. I guess it is more in hindsight, like you said, knowing now that we have stud OLBs and could have benefitted from a monster in the middle.

I too think Timmons is going to be a speacial player, he has flashed moments of greatness. But it still proves OUR point that just because someone was drafted ahead of another player, in the same position, by the same team...doesnt mean the second guy drafted is less likely to succeed. Hell, OSU ran a 3-4 and Gibson like dropping in coverage and blitzing from the outside. I think as long as he earns the reps he'll be a stud too!

K Train
07-28-2010, 11:47 AM
timmons has gotten better every year, he needs to stay healthy though....hed be a regular at the probowl already if he played the WILL spot for a 43 defense where he stays relatively untouched because he would be an absolute ****ing monster on the weakside.

steelcitysfinestXL
07-28-2010, 12:00 PM
timmons has gotten better every year, he needs to stay healthy though....hed be a regular at the probowl already if he played the WILL spot for a 43 defense where he stays relatively untouched because he would be an absolute ****ing monster on the weakside.
Yeah i think back to when the ravens ran a 4-3 and having him (Timmons) in Jamie Sharpers spot next to a thumper like Lewis in his hay day. With Adams and Goose up front Timmons would have reaked havoc in a scheme like that running free!!!!