PDA

View Full Version : Is anybody else strangely optimistic about the 2010 season?

DBR96A
07-23-2010, 12:43 AM
Am I the only one who thinks that the Steelers are are about to use everybody's hatred against them? Am I the only one who thinks that this team is going to have an enormous chip on its shoulder once the season starts? They've had six months to stew in everybody's bile, and they've heard what everybody outside of Pittsburgh has had to say about the team. Does anybody else think that the 2010 Pittsburgh Steelers will use everybody's hatred and ridicule as a lightning rod through which to harness their anger at their opponents? Does anybody else hope that they become the most violent team in the NFL? Personally, I hope the Steelers **** all over the NFL this year. I hope they go off like Mt. Pinatubo and lay everything around them to waste. After this off-season, it's a perfect time to kill. Get ready for an EXPLOSION.

BlackGold4vr
07-23-2010, 12:54 AM
I enter every season with optimism. Having said that I will add that the current Steelers team has not performed well as a favorite but has kicked *** as the underdog. With that in mind this season should go well because the Steelers are certainly being written off in the AFC North.

:2cents:

steelersbabex25
07-23-2010, 01:04 AM
I think as a Steelers fan, you always have to be optimistic.

KSSteelerfan
07-23-2010, 02:34 AM
there's enough press clippings out there from the so called football pundits to give this team enough motivation to win it all......ergo to prove all of the naysayers wrong I mean.

Dean Denton
07-23-2010, 02:45 AM
This team will kick *** if Troy is on the field, if he's not then teams like Oakland will come into Pittsburgh and run up the score again in the 4th QTR. Last year was about as bad a football I have seen this team play on Def, and it was Bens cannon that kept them in every game. I hope these guys spent the off season running stairs because they could only play for 45 minutes last year, and they really looked like $Hit. But this is a new season, and as a Steeler fan you have every reason to be optimistic. I mean hey, its the Steelers, and when was the last time they missed the playoffs two years in a row?

steelcitysfinestXL
07-23-2010, 08:35 AM
I enter every season with optimism. Having said that I will add that the current Steelers team has not performed well as a favorite but has kicked *** as the underdog. With that in mind this season should go well because the Steelers are certainly being written off in the AFC North.

:plus1: I know one thing... i'd hate to be just about any offense (other than N.O.) on the Steelers schedule this season. The defense is healthy (Troy and Aaron Smith), added 2 starters from 2 championship teams (foote and b-mac) and they have a BUNCH of young talent at about every position for depth. I see thsi d being another #1 if they can get some support from the offense. is say 11-5 and they will be in the hunt for the AFCN crown

ejsteeler
07-23-2010, 08:47 AM
I am labeled, according to many on this site, a "blind homer", so yes, I am always optimistic. :yellowthumb: :lol: :cope:

But seriously, I go into each game with optimism. Sure, I know some will be much harder than others, but like the saying goes, any given Sunday.....

LarryNJ
07-23-2010, 10:32 AM
I hope these guys spent the off season running stairs because they could only play for 45 minutes last year,

The Super Bowl hang over is gone. I think we'll get back to being 60 minute men. Ben should come back EXTRA motivated and that alone should be good for a few wins.

Stairwayto7
07-23-2010, 10:54 AM
I am, Steelers always seem to play well with their backs against the wall. You have to give it to Ben though, with him out there, we always have a chance. And I agree with DD, Troy has to be on the field

BlitzburghRockCity
07-23-2010, 12:50 PM
Historically the Steelers have always performed better as the underdog. When they are in the lime light, and everybody is talking about them, they tend to under-achieve. It's been that way since the Cowher era and still proves to be true even now. This team has been through so much this offseason that I'm sure they are ready to go out and take it out on their opponent. You never count out the Steelers; they may not have the best record in the league every year but on any given Sunday they can play as well as anybody in the league.

With how poorly they played last year and losing game after game after game, it's highly unlikely that we'll see a repeat of that anytime soon.

xxxsteelernation
07-23-2010, 01:52 PM
I honestly don't think i'm going to be a homer saying this. But just if we can get through the suspension with a winning record, and healthy for the most part. I see ring number #7. I would really like the steelers to get another total of 4 rings to equal the 70's steelers.

DIESELMAN
07-23-2010, 03:49 PM
Every year I look forward to the upcoming Steeler season. We have great, good and bad players. I take everything in stride whether its good or bad. I always have that feeling that we will make the playoffs and even make the Super Bowl. As the season goes by and as each game is played, I realistically either up our chances or realize we might as well plan for next season. I have more faith in our players then I do in the coaching staff. I agree with "we play better as underdogs" but what separates the big boys from the bottom feeders is that killer mentality, each and every game. Win against the best and ****ing destroy the bad teams. Our coaching staff and players need to bring "it" every down of every quarter of every game. Thats all I ask every year, show effort on every play and then to me it wouldn't matter if we win or lose, show some ****ing heart that makes the Steelers the Steelers!!!

mos07
07-23-2010, 05:51 PM
As said by about everyone, I am always optimistic, but the last two times A SMITH has gone down our D was lousy (remember Maurice JD the first time he was injured) - couple that with TROY last year - it was a disaster.

I am worried about RASHARD - if he goes down - that's a problem. somebody better put a helmet on Ray Lewis week 4 and protect that kid............

I saw today Brucie said they don't have to run more, just smarter.......that should please the masses.

When the chips are down, the Steelers step it up, well if that is the case then this year has championship written all over it.

scudmissile29
07-23-2010, 06:39 PM
Dunno about you guys but Im looking forward to seeing us draft Rahim Moore

Dean Denton
07-24-2010, 04:40 AM
But would any of you be shocked if this team went right down the toilet because of Ben on the bench and Tomlin not having an answer for his team spinning out of control. If Troy and A. Smith aren't 100% then The mighty Steelers could be packing it in mid October. The upside however is if this team can lets say be 4-2 to start, and Ben comes back then he will be fresh. And we have seen him play after missing 4 games mid season. Think about a 6 game break. He could really take this team the distance.....however...dont hold your breath on that pervert, six weeks of down time could end up getting Ben in loads of trouble. I could see him trying to make bets on all the teams we play to beat us while he sits his happy *** on the bench...

steelcitysfinestXL
07-24-2010, 08:32 AM
"It seems like every year we won the Super Bowl, nobody gave us a chance."
-Hines Ward

That about sums up my feeling on the whole deal... expectations are low. I see this team as feeling disrespected, motivated and EXTRA Physical. Look at all the positions the so called experts have us struggling at:

they say...
QB- No Ben = No wins
WR- Lost Holmes and Ward is aging
RB- Mendenhall has no help behind him or infront of him
OL- Will be patch-work at best
LB- Farrior is over the hill
DB- Polamalu will make or break the secondary that was terrible last year

Most of tis was said/written by mainstream and LOCAL media which normally is VERY Steeler biased... i dont think this team will need much motivation this season!

steelersbabex25
07-24-2010, 10:03 AM
I bring you all back to the time between our 2 previous superbowls. The Steelers had so many problems to deal with. Our franchise quarterback getting into a motorcycle accident, a new coach after 15 seasons, nobody thought they would be of any significance. But for Superbowl 43, they came back and they shocked everyone with such a dominant season. Never underestimate.

Watch this video. Guaranteed it will give you goosebumps.
D3rVs8UjxpE

RIVERS OF STEEL
07-24-2010, 04:01 PM
sept for ben anyything is an improvement over last years debacle. ben is the big? me, i am always optimistic for a positive season outcome. usually by game 6 or 7 you kind of really feel which way the wind is blowing for the STEELERS. if ben don't get busted we will at least have a fresh qb.

nuclearchihuahuas
07-24-2010, 04:41 PM
I am oddly optimistic...which actually worries me. The year we won the SB we had the toughest schedule in the league...I was horribly worried at the beginning of that season. The next year, we'd done so well before, I was on top of the world with optimism...and look at what happened. So the fact that I am optimistic and we are faced with all the new sh** this offseason and into the season doesn't really give me any kind of clue how we are going to do this year. Is there such a thing as optimistically worried? I think that describes my feelings on the upcoming season. :grin1:

SteelDad
07-25-2010, 11:53 AM
I've thought about this over the last several weeks and will be writing my article in the coming days about exactly what I think the season will bring for us, but what I can tell you is that I firmly believe this is the year that will make or break Mike Tomlin. I realize that regardless of whether we go 16-0 or 0-16 that the FO will stay with MT. What I mean is that I believe MT has to learn from his 'Unleash Hell' attitude that horribly backfired and must show he can handle all of these problems of the off-season as they roll into the season. I like Tomlin. I like the way he deals with the players, but I see bumps in the road if Leftwich struggles and if the defense is not better. Don't want to say anything more, it will ruin my predicition article!:tt02:

75Steeler
07-25-2010, 12:27 PM
I'm just ready for the season to start. Even the team we had on the field last year proved they could win against some of the best in the NFL. This team should be much better than anything we had going last year so the sky is the limit.

BlackGold4vr
07-26-2010, 12:27 PM
Every year I look forward to the upcoming Steeler season. We have great, good and bad players. I take everything in stride whether its good or bad. I always have that feeling that we will make the playoffs and even make the Super Bowl. As the season goes by and as each game is played, I realistically either up our chances or realize we might as well plan for next season. I have more faith in our players then I do in the coaching staff. I agree with "we play better as underdogs" but what separates the big boys from the bottom feeders is that killer mentality, each and every game. Win against the best and ****ing destroy the bad teams. Our coaching staff and players need to bring "it" every down of every quarter of every game. Thats all I ask every year, show effort on every play and then to me it wouldn't matter if we win or lose, show some ****ing heart that makes the Steelers the Steelers!!!

One of the biggest differences between the two different championship era's is that the 70's Steelers destroyed the bad teams and held their own against the leagues best teams. The 2000's Steelers play down to the level of their opponents. There are no easy games with these guys. They make us sweat against the botton feeders as much as with the elite teams. Don't know about you but I could enjoy a blowout or two on the schedule.

DIESELMAN
07-26-2010, 01:09 PM
One of the biggest differences between the two different championship era's is that the 70's Steelers destroyed the bad teams and held their own against the leagues best teams. The 2000's Steelers play down to the level of their opponents. There are no easy games with these guys. They make us sweat against the botton feeders as much as with the elite teams. Don't know about you but I could enjoy a blowout or two on the schedule.

Exactly what I'm saying, blowout the scrub teams like Cleveland and battle it out like champions against the best teams. A shutout or 2 wouldn't hurt either.

steelerschick1220
07-27-2010, 08:58 PM
I have a good feeling about this year. I was nervous at the beginning of last year and it turned out I had reason to be. So I think we are going to have a good year.

Layin the wood
07-28-2010, 10:34 AM
There will be no 4th quarter meltdowns this year,the Bungles will not sweep us this year,the Clowns will not beat us this year!! Optimistic,yeah im optimistic as steeler fans we should be. I will settle for no less than a 11-5 season. The division is ours,we own it,lets take it!!:cope:

Blitzburghpete
07-29-2010, 02:37 PM
Am I the only one who thinks that the Steelers are are about to use everybody's hatred against them? Am I the only one who thinks that this team is going to have an enormous chip on its shoulder once the season starts? They've had six months to stew in everybody's bile, and they've heard what everybody outside of Pittsburgh has had to say about the team. Does anybody else think that the 2010 Pittsburgh Steelers will use everybody's hatred and ridicule as a lightning rod through which to harness their anger at their opponents? Does anybody else hope that they become the most violent team in the NFL? Personally, I hope the Steelers **** all over the NFL this year. I hope they go off like Mt. Pinatubo and lay everything around them to waste. After this off-season, it's a perfect time to kill. Get ready for an EXPLOSION.

Sport, as in life, has it's ups and downs. I am a firm believer of "Murphy's Law", the law of if you have a whole load of bad luck and misfortune one time, next time it bounces your way.

We've had our turn of bad luck with both Polomalu and Smith out at the same time, and all the heartbreaking meltdowns of the second half of the season.

Lady luck will be with us this season.

Add to that how often do you hear that the teams that shouldn't do well, are supposed to be in turmoil, come out as world beaters. Just ask the German soccer team, who year in year out are written off as mediocre, in a mess, yet in the world cup soccer finals have NEVER ONCE not made the last 8. Pittsburgh won a Superbowls with the toughest schedule and knocked off the 1,2,3 seeds away from home in the playoffs.

The Steelers in my opinion last year lost their focus. Lets not forget they we're 6-2, done the hard work of the season, had an easy schedule for the rest of the year, and lost their focus.

If having an offseason being told they don't amount to much this year, that we're a one trick pony with out Ben, with basically the same team that started 6-2, doesn't focus them now, then frankly they shouldn't put the uniform on.

They will rally behind Leftwich, and come week 4, when we have gone 4-0, you'll all be discussing who should start at QB with Ben's return.

Steelers 12-4 , Mendenhall will get 1650 yards 10 td's
You heard it here first.

BlitzburghRockCity
07-29-2010, 04:42 PM

That's what drives me nuts about this team, and they've been that way for so long now I'm not sure I could handle us actually dominating the lesser teams like we're supposed too :evilshake: . If they want to make us sweat it out against the good teams, that's fine, those are supposed to be the kick & scratch, fight to the death, type of games that make the NFL replay specials each week. But man when you play teams that are clearly inferior and you continue to let them stick around and give them hope, something is just way wrong.

Steeler teams have had this problem and for the life of me no matter how many times you hear players say "we don't take anyone for granted" or " we know they are tough so we're going to bring it" or whatever other "politically correct thing they can come up with, it just makes you wonder. Is the team really that average or are the players really just that unmotivated with the attitude of "show up and we'll win". You would think they'd learn by now but each year it's always the same.

We know the team is talented and well coached (well mostly well coached), but showing it on the field consistently every week is something we rarely see. In fact the last time we really did see it was during the SB XL run. That year we were on the brink of being eliminated and we run the table, win every game we had too, sneak into the playoffs, and go in as an underdog and find a way to pull it out. Now that's what you like to see. That desire, the fire, that will to win at all costs....I want to see that every week!

mwittman5
07-29-2010, 10:56 PM
im optimistic, when everybody counts out the steelers thats when the steelers are at their best. remember when the media used to say ben isnt that good and that anybody could win with our run game. funny now with ben out their saying we cant win. just hating :cope: