PDA

View Full Version : Steelers sign Jones, put Colon on IR

Steel Trap86
07-21-2010, 04:53 PM
The Steelers added depth to their offensive line today when they signed six-year veteran Adrian Jones. Financial terms of the one-year contract were not disclosed.

Jones (6-4, 330) was originally drafted by the New York Jets in the fourth round (132nd overall) in the 2004 NFL Draft out of Kansas. Jones started 44 games for the Jets from 2004-07 before being waived late in the 2007 season. He was then signed by the Kansas City Chiefs and started 10 games in 2008 at guard. Jones then spent time last year in the Houston Texans on the practice squad before being released.

To make room for Jones on the roster, the Steelers placed veteran offensive tackle Willie Colon on their Reserve/Injured List. Colon suffered an Achilles injury last month and had season-ending surgery.

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Steelers-sign-Jones-place-Colon-on-IR/6bca0ff6-637c-4cbd-a22e-6bed0e63e02e

BlitzburghRockCity
07-21-2010, 05:55 PM
I don't know much about this guy but considering he spent last year on a PS before getting waived doesn't instill much confidence if you ask me.I haven't checked his numbers yet but I will later on. Perhaps it was just a numbers game there in Houston but in any event, we continue this round robin, musical 2nd tier lineman game all over again...

K Train
07-21-2010, 06:33 PM
thats the ****ing solution?

HUNT4SEVEN
07-21-2010, 07:54 PM
Championship:hehheh:

DanRooney
07-21-2010, 08:21 PM
superboel

andyg1984
07-21-2010, 08:24 PM
the start of a dynasty .. har har

BlitzburghRockCity
07-21-2010, 09:30 PM
http://www.nfl.com/players/adrianjones/profile?id=JON027734

Seriously, this is the best we can do? There are perfectly good offensive lineman out there that can help this team. We're in a year with no salary cap for crap sakes and this is the best they can do? I know they want to play within their normal cap structure even now but my God how in the world can you justify this pickup? It's another sub par player trying to fit into a starting unit that hasn't been able to get out of it's own way for years now and somehow managed to win a super bowl inspite of themselves.

LatrobePA
07-21-2010, 10:17 PM
Super Bowel

BlacknGold Bleeder
07-21-2010, 11:42 PM
They sidgned him to a 1 year contract,doesn't mean he makes the team or even starts...I mean if they thought he was starting material ,wouldn't they have signed him longer...:2cents:

lloydfan4life
07-22-2010, 08:44 AM
Brilliant! :evilshake:

Blazedby92
07-22-2010, 08:47 AM
Has anyone heard if they are still looking at Pitts?

greg1964
07-22-2010, 08:55 AM
that either T. Essex on J. Scott will be a starter at right tackle this year. As fans will all think we know better than coaches, but they see these guys on daily bases.

The loser in this camp battle will be the swing tackle off the bench (LT or RT)

The real question is what happen if there is football next year. The Steelers have been preaching that Willie Colon in one of the best young tackles in the NFL, will they invest in him after this year. :tt02:

K Train
07-22-2010, 09:11 AM
it means the front office is incompetent at building an offensive line and actually made us worse

Gettysburgh_Steel
07-22-2010, 09:55 AM
it means the front office is incompetent at building an offensive line and actually made us worse

Come on K-man,have the faith brother man.:tt02:

RAVENS SUCK!!!!!!

steelcitysfinestXL
07-22-2010, 11:01 AM
K's right... i think FO has had WAY too much faith in the plethora of mediocre linemen we have on this roster. Pouncey is about the only guy i wouldnt trade in for 20 other teams starters right now... and he hasnt taken a snap yet!! Chris-K flashes brilliance/ then at times looks like he completely misses his assignment. Colon would be a stud G and still he's a mid of the pack RT at best. Essex is a career back up whos gonna fall *** backwards into a starting job he couldnt win for the last 3 years. Max is a failed RT that was benched TWICE just to land in a vacant spot on the other side. Hartwig only looks half decent because he replaced mahan... watch him play he looks just as bad as sean mahan did!

I hope this year they started with center, and they continue to make Oline a priority for the early rounds in the next few drafts

XLJohn
07-22-2010, 11:06 AM
It means we will have limited number in rushing yards :rant2:and BL will get sacked alot.:banging:..Then when BR comes back well more of the same:evilshake:

LatrobePA
07-22-2010, 12:11 PM
It means we will have limited number in rushing yards :rant2:and BL will get sacked alot.:banging:..Then when BR comes back well more of the same:evilshake:

Same ****, diffrent year!

Zachintosh66
07-22-2010, 12:28 PM
means more concussions for our QBs

Black@Gold Forever32
07-22-2010, 02:39 PM
K's right... i think FO has had WAY too much faith in the plethora of mediocre linemen we have on this roster. Pouncey is about the only guy i wouldnt trade in for 20 other teams starters right now... and he hasnt taken a snap yet!! Chris-K flashes brilliance/ then at times looks like he completely misses his assignment. Colon would be a stud G and still he's a mid of the pack RT at best. Essex is a career back up whos gonna fall *** backwards into a starting job he couldnt win for the last 3 years. Max is a failed RT that was benched TWICE just to land in a vacant spot on the other side. Hartwig only looks half decent because he replaced mahan... watch him play he looks just as bad as sean mahan did!

I hope this year they started with center, and they continue to make Oline a priority for the early rounds in the next few drafts

One of the good things about Colon going down could force the Steelers finally to address the OT position early in the draft.....I really doubt the Steelers were going to give Colon the big money his agent was seeking prior to his injury and now with his injury Colon's chances of receiving a big contract are even that more slim......

I have been saying for years the Steelers needed to draft a stud LT and address the OL early in the draft......I'm fine with Pouncey and its a start.....But next year the Steelers better draft one of the top OT's even if they have to trade up.......

Zachintosh66
07-22-2010, 03:15 PM
prolly wont... they'll stick with a limping Colon at a cheaper price :duh:

BlitzburghRockCity
07-22-2010, 06:59 PM
One of the good things about Colon going down could force the Steelers finally to address the OT position early in the draft.....I really doubt the Steelers were going to give Colon the big money his agent was seeking prior to his injury and now with his injury Colon's chances of receiving a big contract are even that more slim......

I have been saying for years the Steelers needed to draft a stud LT and address the OL early in the draft......I'm fine with Pouncey and its a start.....But next year the Steelers better draft one of the top OT's even if they have to trade up.......

I too have been screaming for them to address the offensive line early in the draft but they never do. That was one thing about the Cowher era (or atleast most of it), we regularly drafted offensive lineman with atleast 1 day 1 pick and usually atleast 1 or 2 on the 2nd day. We always had lineman ready to step in and we weren't afraid to go out and get guys in FA when we needed help. For the life of me I cannot figure out what in God's name Tomlin and Rooney's see in this mediocre lineman. We just keep bringing them in and they just keep failing. Can somebody explain to me why we do that because I'd sure as hell love to know.

Steel Trap86
07-22-2010, 09:54 PM
LoL You know what Colon isn't even that f*ckin great, This guy may not be anything special but f*ck Willie. If you guys think he is the best lineman we have (and maybe he is) that's not saying much, when it comes to garbage like our O-Line, change is always good. I hope Mendenhall and Pouncey take over the world come september

Danger DANJ
07-23-2010, 03:24 PM
LoL You know what Colon isn't even that f*ckin great, This guy may not be anything special but f*ck Willie. If you guys think he is the best lineman we have (and maybe he is) that's not saying much, when it comes to garbage like our O-Line, change is always good. I hope Mendenhall and Pouncey take over the world come september

Colon is the best lineman we have or had now that Pouncey is here. Colon would be a monster at RG which is his natural position. Considering he is a RG, he plays RT pretty damn well. He's better at RT than anyone else we have which is why he's playing there instead of RG. We need someone who can play RT, not another G... or we need a LT and move Starks over to RT. Adrian Jones will be a backup if he even makes the team.

Regardless, I hope Mendenhall and Pouncey take over the world as well.:yellowthumb: