PDA

View Full Version : Steelers look at G Pitts

coldrolled
07-21-2010, 09:32 AM
Free-agent guard Chester Pitts worked out for two teams Tuesday in Arizona, according to his agent, Andrew Kessler, who added that his client has visits scheduled with two other clubs next week.

The teams have asked that their identities not be revealed at this time, Kessler said. However, a source with knowledge of the situation revealed the Indianapolis Colts and Pittsburgh Steelers attended Pitts' workout.

The Steelers are looking for offensive line help after starting right tackle Willie Colon suffered a season-ending Achilles' tendon injury last month.

Pitts has drawn interest from several teams throughout the offseason, including the Seattle Seahawks, San Francisco 49ers and Philadelphia Eagles. Pitts is coming back from major surgery, and Tuesday marked the first time he had been able to undergo a full workout for teams.

The eight-year NFL veteran, a longtime starter for the Houston Texans, is one of the few in-demand free agents still available. He started every game for the Texans from his rookie season in 2002 through 2008. Pitts played in just two games last season before undergoing the surgery.

K Train
07-21-2010, 10:53 AM
id love for the oline to be

Starks, Kemo, Pouncey, Pitts and let scott/foster/hills/urbik cage fight over the vacant RT spot.

or just bring in flo

BlitzburghRockCity
07-21-2010, 12:12 PM
Im guessing unless Flo decides he's willing to take a paycut, we won't see him anytime soon. I just really can't see Tomlin being content with the OL the way it is right now. You have 2 guys out, 1 of them a starter and another a solid backup. If we don't bring in somebody during camp then I really question Tomlin's ability to handle this situation. He's clearly not addressed the line at all since he got here, except for this year when we got Pouncey, which is great! Don't make us play musical lineman this year with a bunch of 2nd tier players. Get the people you need and just pay them for **** sakes. Standing by your morals is one thing but putting this season in jeopardy again just isn't an acceptable course of action IMO.

steelcitysfinestXL
07-21-2010, 12:38 PM
If we don't bring in somebody during camp then I really question Tomlin's ability to handle this situation. He's clearly not addressed the line at all since he got here, except for this year when we got Pouncey, which is great! Don't make us play musical lineman this year with a bunch of 2nd tier players. Get the people you need and just pay them for **** sakes. Standing by your morals is one thing but putting this season in jeopardy again just isn't an acceptable course of action IMO.

How is this "Tomlins" fault? He doesnt decide who they sign or dont sign... did you read the part about Flozel where it said "deemed starter capable" or whatever??? Thats probley Tomlin and the team doctors area... and it probley stops there. For all we know Tomlin goes into the rooneys office everday begging the to sign Flozell or Pitts.

I would like to see this move get done... but IMO we dont need a G as much as T. This is how i see our OL as our roster is right now:

LT- Strarks: 09 starter
LG- Chris K: 09 starter
C- The Big Legursky: Pushes out Hartwig with an impressive camp
LG- Pouncey: too good to keep of the field
RT- Essex: Has been battling for this (or any other starting gig) spot for a few seasons

i wouldnt mind if we went out and got Jones or Adams... i would like Pitts at the right price cause that would give us options on the interior. Just my :2cents:

greg1964
07-21-2010, 12:54 PM
the line will be:
LT Starks (starter) J.Scott (backup)
LF Kemo (starter) Foster (backup)
C: Hartwig (Starter) Legursky (backup)
RG Pouncey (Starter) Urbik (backup)
RT: Essex (Starter) C. Scott (backup)

This way there will be only one new starter on the line: I think Pouncey chance to start at center for 2010 went the way of Colon foot this season. In if the Steelers are really going back to a Power running game: the idea line would have been:

Starks, Kemo, Pouncey, Foster or Urbik and Colon: as starters; with Essex, Foster or Urbik Hartwig, C Scott, J Scott as backups

Black@Gold Forever32
07-21-2010, 03:18 PM
How is this "Tomlins" fault? He doesnt decide who they sign or dont sign... did you read the part about Flozel where it said "deemed starter capable" or whatever??? Thats probley Tomlin and the team doctors area... and it probley stops there. For all we know Tomlin goes into the rooneys office everday begging the to sign Flozell or Pitts.

I would like to see this move get done... but IMO we dont need a G as much as T. This is how i see our OL as our roster is right now:

LT- Strarks: 09 starter
LG- Chris K: 09 starter
C- The Big Legursky: Pushes out Hartwig with an impressive camp
LG- Pouncey: too good to keep of the field
RT- Essex: Has been battling for this (or any other starting gig) spot for a few seasons

i wouldnt mind if we went out and got Jones or Adams... i would like Pitts at the right price cause that would give us options on the interior. Just my :2cents:

Legursky is a favorite of mine....I liked him coming out of college.....He keeps hanging around and I wouldn't be surprised if he beats out Hartwig.......He can't be any worse then Hartwig........I think Foster could play RT and I hope its him over Essex.......Either one is far from great and each have flaws....I wasn't that high on Willie Colon and I really don't expect much of a drop off......Whoever the starter is has time to get in sync with the rest of the line......

As for Pitts.....His signing sure wouldn't hurt......lol

Zachintosh66
07-21-2010, 04:30 PM
no Pitts, we just signed Jones...

HUNT4SEVEN
07-21-2010, 07:32 PM
The Line Should look like this LT J.Scott LG Kemo C Pouncey RG Legursky and RT Starks it probably won't look like this, i just hope we get rid of Hartpig he SUCKS:yesnod:

BlitzburghRockCity
07-21-2010, 08:31 PM
Guess we can kiss this dude goodbye..we have this stud Jones now :cursin:

K Train
07-21-2010, 08:56 PM
The Line Should look like this LT J.Scott LG Kemo C Pouncey RG Legursky and RT Starks it probably won't look like this, i just hope we get rid of Hartpig he SUCKS:yesnod:

why does nobody remember how ****ing terrible starks was at RT? scott cant play on the left, no way hes a career RT, at least starks is serviceable on the left.

the only way i want starks on the right is if essex HAS to play, id want him on the left cause hes a 330 pound finnesse player, hes doesnt have RT power

Black@Gold Forever32
07-21-2010, 10:00 PM
I would love to see Pouncey at center but all the talk so far is him playing RG to start his career.....

So if Pouncey plays RG then I would love to see the line as Starks, Kemoeatu, Legursky, Pouncey, Foster.......But Essex at RT would alright I guess.....lol

Starks was terrible as a RT.......Starks sucking at RT opened the door for Colon at RT.......Jonathan Scott as a LT just flat out scares me......So Starks once again will be the LT which he isn't great but the team can win with Starks at LT.....I know they won with him at RT to but I don't forget how bad Starks was at RT....lol

I'm so pumped about Adrian Jones.....I'm being sarcastic.....lol I do hope he becomes a beast but I'm not counting on it....lol

K Train
07-21-2010, 10:35 PM
pouncey wil start at center sooner rather than later.....calling it

Dobre Shunka
07-22-2010, 12:59 AM
Pouncey will anchor the line as soon as they can do it. Some experience at this level and he's in. That's it. I was reading where he was going over the playbook and was already feeling good about call and what not. he has the confidence and brains to anchor the line.

coldrolled
07-22-2010, 08:12 AM

No Pitts or Adams sigen for the OL. Dixon starts as QB, Leftwich has no chance to win a game. He has no mobility.

steelcitysfinestXL
07-22-2010, 10:06 AM
No Pitts or Adams sigen for the OL. Dixon starts as QB, Leftwich has no chance to win a game. He has no mobility.

Dixon wont start... thats wet dream had by me and a few others who just loved to watch the kid play in College!!! Lefty isnt mobile... but he has a CANNON arm and makes VERY quick decisions. So he may not take too many hits. He has had MONTHS to prepare as the starter in this offense. The more comfortable he gets, the faster the ball will come out, the less he gets hit.

Zachintosh66
07-22-2010, 11:31 AM

wow, what have you been smoking... Legursky is nothing more than a footnote, sorry to burst your bubble

Black@Gold Forever32
07-22-2010, 01:21 PM

I hope you're right Ktrain....If I was the HC I would start him at center from day one.......But it will be interesting to see when Tomlin does start Pouncey at center.......

coldrolled
07-27-2010, 08:59 AM
Update:

More FA Visits Lined Up for Chester Pitts
After working out for the Pittsburgh Steelers and Indianapolis Colts in Arizona last week, veteran free agent guard Chester Pitts visited with the Buffalo Bills on Monday.

Jason La Canfora of the NFL Network reports that Pitts' free agency tour will continue this week, with stops scheduled for Pittsburgh, Denver, and Seattle.

Pitts previously visited with the Seahawks back in March, and has listed them as the "front-runners" during the off-season. The Seahawks added Pitts' former offensive line coach Alex Gibbs this off-season, and are moving to a pure zone-blocking system, which Pitts played in during his eight seasons with the Houston Texans.

Pittsburgh and Denver both run more power blocking schemes.

While Pitts was rehabbing his surgically-repaired knee, the Seahawks signed guard Ben Hamilton, who also played in a zone-blocking system under Gibbs in Denver, to a one-year deal worth over $2 million. Hamilton is locked in as a the starting left guard/on-field line coach for left tackle Russell Okung, the sixth overall pick in the 2010 NFL Draft and long-term replacement for future Hall of Famer Walter Jones.

2009 second-round pick Max Unger is scheduled to start at right guard, with restricted free agent Chris Spencer, a first-round pick in 2005, at center. Spencer has battled injuries throughout his career, and if he were to be injured again, Unger would be the likely replacement.

K Train
07-27-2010, 12:24 PM
interesting fact:

hartwig could sit out this entire year and still potentially lead the league in sacks given up by an interior lineman the last 3 years. after 2 he is well ahead of the rest with 18, next highest in alan faneca with 11 over 2 seasons but the most given up last year by a center was by hartwig (7) and the second most was 4 so chances are he will have the title 3 years running even if he only plays 2

nuclearchihuahuas
07-27-2010, 04:05 PM
Dixon wont start... thats wet dream had by me and a few others who just loved to watch the kid play in College!!! Lefty isnt mobile... but he has a CANNON arm and makes VERY quick decisions. So he may not take too many hits. He has had MONTHS to prepare as the starter in this offense. The more comfortable he gets, the faster the ball will come out, the less he gets hit.

I have to admit I absolutely loved to watch Dixon play in college as well...You r right, Lefty isn't mobile but since he knows most teams will try to come around the right to test whoever we have at tackle, he can move to his left to start with any way...and I have no idea why but I have this crazy gut feeling that this new coach is going to fix the whole o-line problem somehow--I have no proof at all....its a gut feeling or maybe a premonition--hopefully not just wishful thinking :tt02:

coldrolled
07-28-2010, 12:56 PM
Former Houston Texans offensive lineman Chester Pitts visited the Pittsburgh Steelers on Tuesday after visiting the Buffalo Bills on Monday.

Pitts, 31, played eight seasons for the Texans, but tore up his knee last season.

He has also worked out recently for the Steelers and the Indianapolis Colts.

With Willie Colon out for the season with a torn Achilles tendon, the Steelers are looking to shore up depth on the offensive line.

They recently signed Adrian Jones.

BlitzburghRockCity
07-28-2010, 12:58 PM
So there's still hope that we can sign him... :crossfingers: If we're going to go after Flozell than this is our next best chance to add some quality players to the group.