PDA

View Full Version : Report: Pouncey's will deny wrongdoing on Tuesday

Big T
07-20-2010, 01:15 AM
Report: Pounceys will deny wrongdoing on Tuesday
Posted by Mike Florio on July 19, 2010 10:09 PM ET

On Monday, Pat Forde of ESPN.com reported that the NCAA and Florida are investigating whether former Gators center (and Steelers rookie) Maurkice Pouncey received $100,000 between the 2009 SEC title game and the team's January 2010 bowl game.

Now, Joe Schad of ESPN.com reports, via Twitter, that the Pouncey family "plans to deny any wrongdoing" on Tuesday.

Schad also explains that the letter sent to Florida tipping the program off to the potential problem was postmarked in Canada, and that it "contained photographic evidence of an alleged runner for an agent in social situations," presumably with the Pounceys.

Still, Schad reports that the Pounceys have provided "phone, bank and credit card statements that do not show large payments."*

But Maurkice Pouncey bought an Escalade and jewelry after the draft.* He claims that he paid for it with a deferred line of credit, and that at times he loaned it to his brother, Mike, who still plays for the Gators.

A separate source with knowledge of the Pouncey family tells us that, in the source's opinion, it's 99.99 percent likely that the Pounceys did not accept cash or other benefits from an agent before Maurkice's eligibility expired.

Though there's no NCAA ban on paying players after their college eligibility expires, the NFLPA prevents payments to induce players to sign with football agents.* So it's possible that Maurkice Pouncey actually was paid -- if he was paid at all -- after the bowl game.* This would create no problems for Pouncey or the Gators, but it would create a problem for the agent.

Complicating matters is the ongoing presence of Mike Pouncey at Florida.* If an agent gave cash or any other thing of value to the Pounceys after Maurkice left Florida, the gesture could create problems for Mike.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/07/19/report-pounceys-will-deny-wrongdoing-on-tuesday/

SteelerEyeZ
07-20-2010, 10:34 AM
this cant do anything to him now....correct??? i mean look at bush, isn't this the same thing?

Zachintosh66
07-20-2010, 10:52 AM
Pouncey's will deny wrongdoing

surprise!

K Train
07-20-2010, 10:57 AM
maurkice could come out and say they paid him and nothing could be done to him, his brother and UF would suffer though. NFL cant punish him, NCAA cant punish him...he can just laugh all the way to the bank and the pro bowl

BlitzburghRockCity
07-21-2010, 08:06 AM
Yeah he shouldn't be worried a bit about this, but being the family guy that he seems to be I'm sure he'll do all he can to keep his brother out of the wrath of NCAA as much as possible.

Blazedby92
07-21-2010, 08:13 AM
You know what these guys help bring in the revenue for these colleges they should be paid a little cash. I bet gators brought in some money not just for the bowl game but merchandise too and still reaping.
Other than giving him a bad rap Good for him and all the others(Bush)

airbrake 1
07-21-2010, 08:28 AM
I don't understand why people just can't follow the rules. I'm sure all the ncaa players are made well aware of the rules reguarding taking payments. If you don't like the rules try to have them changed, but breaking them just because you don't like them or need the cash isn't acceptable. As far as paying college athletes i come down on the side of the schools you are getting a college education for playing ball, if you don't take advantage of whats given you that's you're dumb *** fault.. People pay hundreds of thousands of dollars for what you're being given to play ball if you don't like the trade off then sit out the few years and work out with some type of former players, stay in football shape and when you become eligible to enter the draft do so if your talent on the field is so great the scouts will still see your abilities at the combine and your staged pro day... ignorance of the law is no excuse