PDA

View Full Version : NCAA turns its attention to Steelers rookie

Big T
07-19-2010, 04:00 PM
NCAA turns its attention to Steelers rookie
Posted by Mike Florio on July 19, 2010 2:49 PM ET

Possibly buoyed by the success of the Reggie Bush investigation or committed to dealing once and for all with a problem that has been all too prevalent in recent years, the NCAA has begun to aggressively investigate the dynamic of agents paying players in order to secure them as clients.

We've heard rumors for years, and we've watched and waited for the NCAA (which regulates college football programs and players) and the NFLPA (which regulates contract agents) to do something about it.

The latest target?* Former Florida center Maurkice Pouncey.* Pat Forde of ESPN.com reports that the NCAA and Florida are investigating allegations that Pouncey received $100,000 from a representative of an agent after the 2009 SEC title game and prior to Florida's January 2010 bowl game.

The ESPN.com report curiously omits the fact that Pouncey ultimately hired Joel Segal.* This doesn't mean that Segal was directly or indirectly responsible for paying the money.* But if there's an agent out there who paid Pouncey 100 large and ultimately didn't get hired, there should be another Lake-versus-Bush-style lawsuit on the horizon.

Meanwhile, because Pouncey has left Florida, the NCAA has no authority over Pouncey.* Thus, it'll be much harder for the NCAA to get to the truth if, in the end, neither Pouncey nor the agent nor the person who allegedly handed over the cash cooperate with the probe.

In this case, however, the NCAA may have an ace in the hole.* Maurkice's twin brother, Mike, remains a Gator, and he's regarded as one of the top offensive guards in the 2011 draft.* The NCAA can, if it so chooses, lean on the twin brothers -- who apparently are very close -- to get some information.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/07/19/ncaa-turns-its-attention-to-steelers-rookie/

Please no. We really really don't need this ****....

cmerrifield
07-19-2010, 04:04 PM
The NCAA is investigating all the schools right now. They released info about two former Kentucky Basketball players (Living near Lexington KY thats all I hear about) and it turned out to be nothing. The NCAA or the press or somebody releases information about investigations before they really know anything. This could be nothing.

BlitzburghRockCity
07-19-2010, 04:25 PM
ESPN's reporting has been shoddy at best lately, just tossing that out there.

In any event, there isn't much if anything they can do to Pouncey right now other than try and hound him for information. Im quite neither him (if he did indeed take any money) nor the agent involved are going to volunteer any more than they have too.

BlackGold4vr
07-19-2010, 04:56 PM
I got a text message about the Steelers #1 draft pick in some alleged trouble and I thought to myself, "What now?" If this was the trouble its a reach. The NCAA has no clout to make anybody talk. There is absolutely nothing they can do to Maurkice if he tells them to go #$%* themselves. This is nothing more than the media reaching for a story in a time of the year where there is a sporting news vacuum. No story IMO.

:helmet:

Big T
07-19-2010, 05:09 PM
I agree with everyone. I just thought I'd post and let everyone know what was going on. Maurkice doesn't seem like he'd do it but you never know. I'm sure nothing will come of this. Like I said, just thought I'd share...

xxxsteelernation
07-19-2010, 05:24 PM
Well really can happen to pouncy if he did take the money? i know the school itself would take the hit but would anything actually happen to pouncy?

Black@Gold Forever32
07-19-2010, 05:35 PM
I'm not shocked....Pouncey a big time player at a big school receiving cash while in college......Nothing new really....Its been going on for decades.....

K Train
07-19-2010, 06:04 PM
i hope it did happen and florida gets in trouble for it while pouncey laughs and cashes his paychecks

Scorp
07-19-2010, 06:41 PM
Hope it doesn't go down bad for our rook.

75Steeler
07-19-2010, 06:51 PM
That would be bull if they "lean on" his brother. If they do that Pouncey and his brother should file a lawsuit against the NCAA.

KSSteelerfan
07-20-2010, 02:32 AM
Man oh man......:75:

Blazedby92
07-20-2010, 08:43 AM
i hope it did happen and florida gets in trouble for it while pouncey laughs and cashes his paychecks

:yellowthumb::imho::plus1:

nuclearchihuahuas
07-20-2010, 12:37 PM
That would be bull if they "lean on" his brother. If they do that Pouncey and his brother should file a lawsuit against the NCAA.

Maurkice should keep his mouth shut at least until his bro graduates--then he can do whatever he feels is right :imho:

mos07
07-20-2010, 04:00 PM
Unbelievable - if it is true, which it more than likely is - why in the hell does he need that money between the SEC Championship and the bowl game??? It could not wait? I am not an expert of these things - can anyone speak to this? Could Maurkice have received an advance after hiring an agent after the bowl game? Is that an acceptable practice?

That agent is to share the blame and if I was Florida University that is who I would have the issue with - these universities have to do a better job of policing this crap.

Of course it falls in the Steelers lap - in this offseason, why not?

K Train
07-20-2010, 04:09 PM
except its not a steeler problem at all so making it seem like one is a waste of time

mos07
07-20-2010, 04:36 PM
But it is still a distraction and a PR hit so it's annoying- maybe nothing in the long run- just another reason for the rest of the NFL living in glass houses to throw stones at us.

HUNT4SEVEN
07-20-2010, 05:42 PM
If u wanna put and end to these College players taking money then punish those who are responsible for giving them the money...:yesnod:

LatrobePA
07-20-2010, 06:33 PM
except its not a steeler problem at all so making it seem like one is a waste of time

Thank you...Who cares about it!!