PDA

View Full Version : Randle El for second act in Pittsburgh

coldrolled
07-19-2010, 09:31 AM
HARVEY | As he addressed the teenagers who came out to the Antwaan Randle El Sound Mind Sound Body Football Academy Saturday morning in the gymnasium at Thornton High School, the keynote speaker easily could have used any of a number of high-profile athletes to make his point about the dangers of being led astray, but he chose not to.

Antwaan Randle El, instead, focused on a positive way to view and handle life's many challenges.

"That's why we are here, young folks," Randle El said to the 200-plus youths in attendance. "This isn't all about football."

Randle El signed with his former team, the Pittsburgh Steelers, on March 8 after playing four seasons at wide receiver for the Washington Redskins. Randle El said he also considered offers from a handful of teams this spring, including Baltimore and New England, before deciding to return to the team with whom he won a Super Bowl in 2006.

"I just prayed to God to lead and guide me, and that is what he did," Randle El said. "Coming back to the Steelers was the best for me."

Though the Redskins released Randle El this spring, the former Thornton multi-sport star put up some of his best seasons, statistically, in Washington. Last year, he caught 50 passes for 530 yards and no touchdowns, numbers down slightly from his career-best 53 catches in 2008 or his 728 yards he compiled while a Redskin in 2007.

"When (former Redskins coach) Jim Zorn was there, he was hands-on," Randle El said. "He had great potential, but (Redskins owner) Dan Snyder was too involved because he didn't trust coach Zorn as much as he did coach (Joe) Gibbs, and those were things that prevented us from success as a team."

Randle El has already gone through June workouts with the Steelers, and he will return to Pittsburgh in two weeks to begin training camp. The Steelers will be without quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, who was suspended for six games by the NFL for an offseason incident at a bar involving a young woman in Georgia. Randle El said the situation has affected the team, which needs Roethlisberger at quarterback this season.

"When mistakes like that happen, especially to athletes, we are held under a microscope like you wouldn't believe," Randle El said as he watched campers begin agility drills. "We know we have to watch who we hang out with and who we are around, because as athletes we are held to a different standard."

BlitzburghRockCity
07-19-2010, 09:53 AM
Whether or not ARE is able to contribute this year and help us out remains to be seen, but you have to love his positive attitude and outlook on his career. He went for the money after we won SB XL, just like anybody would, nobody can blame him for that. He played till it was time to leave and realized he's got as good a chance as any to get back to the SB by coming back to Pittsburgh. He always had a good following here and fans liked him, myself included.

I fully expect him to make the team and be a backup punt return guy along with probably the 4th WR.

K Train
07-19-2010, 09:54 AM
i hate him so much, really cant believe hes on the roster again at this point in his less than mediocre career

Bucsfan4ever
07-19-2010, 12:03 PM
I hope El and Sanders have GREAT seasons....I've got them both on my Dynasty league!!:greengrin:

75Steeler
07-19-2010, 12:43 PM
I'm glad he is back he has a positive attitude and will show some leadership in the locker room as well as on the field.

KSSteelerfan
07-19-2010, 12:45 PM
I'm glad I never got rid of his jersey. :tt02:

DanRooney
07-19-2010, 03:01 PM
I really hope Emmanuel Sanders emerges as the next Mike Wallace and Randle El tears his ACL early on. I believe that's the only way Sanders is gonna see the field.

K Train
07-19-2010, 03:27 PM
why would you have a randle el jersey? lol

hes never been good, and now hes worse....at the age of 30 hes never had more than 53 catches in a season. as a full time starter for us in 05 15/16 games he got a dismal 35 catches, hes never gotten over 4 TDs in a season and has a grand total of 15 career TDs

in holmes second year (he was pretty up and down) he got over 50 catches, 900 yards and 8 TDs, in wallace's rookie year he had 40 catches, 750+ yards and 6 TDs...thats just to show you how terrible el is...el doesnt get catches because he doesnt get open, hes a wasted body on the field. he used to be a decent college QB, he can throw a pretty ball and he was a decent PR but hes 30 now and half the mediocre player he was last year. just an all around pathetic signing that will take more targets away from heath, wallace, and ward and keep sanders on the bench.

Black@Gold Forever32
07-19-2010, 03:43 PM
Sanders and Brown have to show something first.....Tomlin isn't just going to hand these young WR's a role without them earning it.....I'm with you guys I want the young WR's Sanders and Brown on the field soon and hope to see them with major roles this season.....I think both are very talented and can make plays for this team......Both can return kicks also and should help the special teams......

The El signing was just a body for camp and insurance if they have injury problems........I will be shocked if El makes the final roster to be honest......

BlitzburghRockCity
07-19-2010, 03:53 PM
Sanders need to win that 3rd WR job, there's no doubt he's got the talent. As long as he doesn't pull a Sweed and completely tank camp and preseason there's no reason he won't see a lot of action. I like having ARE as an extra WR. Lets face it, our WR corp has very little NFL experience once you get past Hines. Having a guy like ARE on the team makes sense not only from a veteran standpoint but also a guy that can help mentor the young players.

Black@Gold Forever32
07-19-2010, 04:12 PM
If Sanders is what I think he is and what some other within the Nation thinks he is then I expect him to make plays for the team this season.........I'm also high on Antonio Brown.......

Matt I agree with u about the vet presence that El brings to the table and I'm fine with that.....

But both Brown and Sanders caught a ton of balls in college.....I know its just college and rookie WR's usually struggle at first......But college teams are throwing a ton these days and really running NFL type offenses at the college level....Biggest thing these rookies have to adjust to is the speed of the game and digesting a ton of information regarding the play-book/offense.....

I think its possible that both of these young guys will make plays this year for this team....Its really up to them on hard they work and can digest the info/lingo of the offense....

Troy Edwards had a nice rookie season in 99....lol I know Plax struggled his rookie .....But Holmes by mid-season in his rookie campaign was making plays for the Steelers......Last year Wallace was a beast at times and had one of the better rookie years for a rookie WR.........

From what I have read and heard about Sander and Brown that they don't lack confidence.......I have a feeling that both are going to adjust fine to the NFL game.....But maybe that is wishful thinking on my part....lol

HUNT4SEVEN
07-20-2010, 06:54 PM
ARE was a good veteran pick up:yesnod: he didn't like the west-coast system along with losing and a host of other problems the Skins had, his return days are done IMO, but he will provide veteran leadership and be dangerous in the slot, he wants to prove that he's not washed up like some people think he is, If AB and ES can contribute in the Return/ kickoff and Receiving game then we will be alright, i wouldn't be surprised if ARE threw a couple of TD early in the season on trick plays, man i can wait untill July 29 GO STEELERS...I got a feeling Pittsburgh going to the Superbowl:tt02:

airbrake 1
07-20-2010, 07:01 PM
it would be great to see us use a few gadget plays a gain especially when ben is out. I dont remember seeing many last year, you can't use them all the time but when used at the right time they are brutally effective e.g the cinncinnati playoff 2005 and super bowl xl... go steelers

K Train
07-20-2010, 07:10 PM
you need someone smart enough to draw up plays like that....something arians is not

and gadget plays mean that you cant line up and beat the other team e.g Cincinnati playoffs 2005 and superbowl xl when they were outplayed and overmatched most of the game....they were acts of desperation, i hope we dont find ourselves in desperate situations

airbrake 1
07-20-2010, 07:28 PM
gadget play have always had a place in football I remember many double reverses, flea flickers, halfback options from the steelers of the 70's and not using them because the coach says I can beat these guys by forcing it down their throats and ultimately losing the game is foolish. The nfl coach needs to look at his gameplan as a tool bag and it doesn't make sense to not have all your tools at your disposal because of stubborness. I dont recall getting totally outplayed in those games i think we won 31-17 and 21-10 hardly nailbiters

K Train
07-20-2010, 07:31 PM
id like arians to address basic fundamentals, hes not gameplanning anywhere near good enough to be dedicating any time to trick plays. im not saying its not good to throw one out every now and then but its not arians style and even if it was they probably wouldnt work

Big T
07-20-2010, 08:07 PM
id like arians to address basic fundamentals, hes not gameplanning anywhere near good enough to be dedicating any time to trick plays. im not saying its not good to throw one out every now and then but its not arians style and even if it was they probably wouldnt work

Even when he does throw in a gadget play he f*cks it up. Like having an end around with Santonio throwing it to Hines instead of the other way around. Why would you have the ex college QB throwing the ball?