PDA

View Full Version : Most devastating Steeler hit

xxxsteelernation
07-18-2010, 05:43 PM
I know through out the years the steeler defense has been a very punishable defense to opposing offenses. My question is there a unanimous #1 hit. That just makes your body ache just watching it? If so what is it. and what other memorable hits are on your list?

steelers25
07-18-2010, 06:11 PM
Ryan Clarks hit on Willis McGahee VS the ravesns in the afc championship

scudmissile29
07-18-2010, 06:18 PM

That!.

I couldn't stop laughing after Clark owned him so badly.

JensK
07-18-2010, 06:52 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyNy-TkDGB0

Big T
07-18-2010, 07:19 PM
Hmmm...

Hines' hit on Keith Rivers was sick. Ryan Clark on Wes Welker was crazy too. I also really like Lawrence Timmons' on Derrick Mason in '08...

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/images/200810/20081020pd_steelers1019i_500.jpg

http://cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/Globe_Photo/2008/12/01/lee_patriotssteelers10_spts__1228139961_1863.jpg

http://thesportshernia.typepad.com/.a/6a00d83451b84f69e2010536c6c053970b-550wi

airbrake 1
07-18-2010, 08:34 PM
there are so many great hits no one will ever agree on just one. Th play from super bowl 9 when glen edwards hit john gilliam and mel blount intercepted it was pretty brutal. The vikings were in scoring position if gilliam holds onto the ball the vikings have 1st and goal at the 4 , with only a minute left in the first half.The play can be seen between 4:42-5:34 on this clip the quality isn't very good but you can still see it... GO STEELERS
aHMYu2KLuP8

Big T
07-18-2010, 08:36 PM
there are so many great hits no one will ever agree on just one. Th play from super bowl 9 when glen edwards hit john gilliam and mel blount intercepted it was pretty brutal. The vikings were in scoring position if gilliam holds onto the ball the vikings have 1st and goal at the 4 , with only a minute left in the first half.The play can be seen between 4:42-5:34 on this clip the quality isn't very good but you can still see it... GO STEELERS
aHMYu2KLuP8

No doubt, there were some mad good hits back in the day. I was just giving examples of more recent hits....

Ibleedblk&gld
07-18-2010, 10:11 PM
i absolutely LOVE the hit hines put on ed reed a few years back (check my avy for reference)

LarryNJ
07-18-2010, 10:12 PM
The Ravens are involved in many of the more recent hits. The cool thing is several of them were done by a Steelers offensive player. It's very difficult to pick a number 1 out of all the years. This one was certainly as good as any! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fC3xNSiRTDc

steelersbabex25
07-18-2010, 10:25 PM
The Ravens are involved in many of the more recent hits. The cool thing is several of them were done by a Steelers offensive player. It's very difficult to pick a number 1 out of all the years. This one was certainly as good as any! :)

My brother has a picture of that in the Steeler room in his house :lol: love it. What an idiot.

Aside from the obvious punishing hits, nobody remembers this hit for some reason..probably because of the guy who did it, but this Sweed hit on Corey Ivy was a Ryan Clark caliber hit. Right after he dropped a ball. This almost made up for that I think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1fbkEOQwoc

h1fbkEOQwoc

MattyVfromCT
07-18-2010, 10:29 PM
there's so many good ones i cant think of them all. ones that come to mind, obviously hines' and silverback's hits on reed on mnf 07, woodson's hit on warren moon in 92, joe green, lc, lambert, blount, lloyd, lake, kevin greene, etc all had some brutal hits. i'm eventually going to put together my own version of renegade with some awesome hits over the years

Scorp
07-18-2010, 10:37 PM
Joe Greene's jarring tackle of Earl Campbell for a one-yard loss in the AFC Championship game versus the Houston Oilers on Jan. 6, 1980.

Joe Greene was unquestionably the defensive leader of the Steelers four Super Bowl teams and the Steel Curtain. His nickname "Mean Joe" was a perfect moniker for his on-field demeanor. Just ask any opposing offensive player.

One of those players who was on the receiving end of some of Joe Greene's great hits was Earl Campbell. One of the memorable hits Greene inflicted on Campbell occurred during the Jan. 6, 1980 AFC Championship game and was voted by Steelers fans as the fourth-greatest play in Three Rivers Stadium history as part of the team's Last Season Celebration.

To set the scene: With the Steelers holding a precarious 17-10 halftime lead, the Oilers received the second-half kickoff and just converted a first down in two plays. Campbell, who was held to just 15 yards on 17 carries for the game, had just run for seven yards and a first down.

Greene, who delivered many violent hits during his Hall of Fame career, ended any momentum the Oilers' running game seemed to have generated by nailing Campbell with a crushing tackle for a one-yard loss. Three plays later the Oilers punted, and the Steelers went on to secure a 27-13 victory en route to their Super Bowl XIV victory against the Los Angeles Rams.

Zachintosh66
07-18-2010, 10:47 PM
Joe Greene's jarring tackle of Earl Campbell for a one-yard loss in the AFC Championship game versus the Houston Oilers on Jan. 6, 1980.

Cant confirm nor deny... i wasnt even 2 yet :lol: damn old timers :lol:

Scorp
07-18-2010, 10:49 PM
I was probably 3 at that time. So i just believe what i read...when it comes to the Steel Curtain.

Thomas
07-18-2010, 11:15 PM
Hines` wipeout of Rivers was great but I think Ryan Clark on McGahee was the mother of all hits.

BlitzburghRockCity
07-19-2010, 08:59 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fC3xNSiRTDc

:hehheh: dude that one goes down in the record books as one of the best ever, no question. I still love watching it.

K Train
07-19-2010, 09:08 AM
vonolehoffens hit on carson palmer

lol

all jokes aside it was clark on mcgahee

/thread

LarryNJ
07-19-2010, 10:55 AM

Cant confirm nor deny... i wasnt even 2 yet :lol: damn old timers :lol:

I was probably 3 at that time. So i just believe what i read...when it comes to the Steel Curtain.

I was 19 and actually at that game. It was either that game or the year before the first play of the game Earl Campbell tried to run around end and Jack Ham tackled him for a 2 or 3 yard loss. The place went nuts and you knew we were going to win. It was cold raining or freezing rain. We ran onto the field after the game and slid around the flooded astro turf. Some dude stole Bums hat off his head after the game. :lol: Some of the best times in my life. :)

On Joe Greene: Who was the Browns lineman that he pile drive head first into the ground?

Steelers_All_Day_43
07-19-2010, 12:41 PM
Ryan Clark on Wes Welker. Knocked him the **** out!

coldrolled
07-19-2010, 01:33 PM
Ryan Clark on Wes Welker. Knocked him the **** out!

nice one! after 300 hundred zillion times running the same play game in and game out against every team in the nfl, brady to welker over the middle short, clark finally made him pay.. he was doing this for years and noone hit him like that.. it was sweet.

Steel Trap86
07-19-2010, 06:01 PM
I have to say Clark on Welker too lol that was just too f*ckin sweet, even though I like Welker!

Obviously the hit on Mcgahee was huge too, Timmons on Mason, Ward on Reed & Rivers, all big hits.

xxxsteelernation
07-19-2010, 06:30 PM
vonolehoffens hit on carson palmer

lol

all jokes aside it was clark on mcgahee

/thread

i think kimo's hit on palmer was an very important hit. I still cringe to think if palmer didn't get hurt.

MattyVfromCT
07-19-2010, 06:56 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3A4Im9SQ48g

2:01-2:11, and 3:37 when donnie shell broke earl campbell's ribs, 7:57 hines hits reed, 8:15 hines hits rivers, 8:27 clark hits welker, 9:25 clark hits mcgahee

steelers4life66
07-19-2010, 07:08 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Be3HXvOFxa0

Black@Gold Forever32
07-19-2010, 07:09 PM
Do hits on Steelers players count.......First game of the 1995 season will always stick out to me.....Besides Rod Woodson tearing his ACL.....But O'Donnell was also hurt in that game and Mike Tomczak came in relieve of O'Donnell.....I remember a Lions player and I think it was Robert Porcher just flat out drilling Tomczak....The hit was so vicious that I thought Tomczak was dead......But Tomczak finished the game.....lol

But the Clark hits talked about in this thread is up there.......But what about the Pat White hit last year in the Dolphins game....Was it Ike Taylor who nailed White?

JensK
07-19-2010, 07:13 PM
Yes it was.. It was sort of a strange hit tho. It was not THAT hard, he just got hurt badly.

MattyVfromCT
07-19-2010, 07:13 PM
Do hits on Steelers players count.......First game of the 1995 season will always stick out to me.....Besides Rod Woodson tearing his ACL.....But O'Donnell was also hurt in that game and Mike Tomczak came in relieve of O'Donnell.....I remember a Lions player and I think it was Robert Porcher just flat out drilling Tomczak....The hit was so vicious that I thought Tomczak was dead......But Tomczak finished the game.....lol

But the Clark hits talked about in this thread is up there.......But what about the Pat White hit last year in the Dolphins game....Was it Ike Taylor who nailed White?

yeah it was taylor. forgot about that one

steelcitysfinestXL
07-20-2010, 09:54 AM
Agreed! The 2 clark hits from 08/09 and ward on rivers block... Sweed block in AFCCG was nast as well. But i still love Anthony Smith on TJ Howeveryouspellit a few years back! That was NASTY! Ill post a video after work (cant access youtube here)

--- Added 7/20/2010 at 07:54 AM ---

Yes it was.. It was sort of a strange hit tho. It was not THAT hard, he just got hurt badly.

:plus1: It was a solid hit... but i think Pat White forgot he was in the NFL and not at WVU, cause his dumbass thought he could lower his head-n-shoulder and take on Ike...:nono:

Zachintosh66
07-20-2010, 12:04 PM
Welker... definatley

HUNT4SEVEN
07-20-2010, 07:04 PM
I like the hit Ryan put on the Cheaters Welker and i like the hit Anthony Smith put on Who's your momma and i like the hit Ryan put on Chris Henry in our house, i like that preseason hit AS put on the Eagles reciever, Hines hit on Ed Reed in our house man there are so many maybe this will help http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAdPmvltWU0

Yo this is a nice video also thank me later:lol: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgfWxDDdcvs&feature=related http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2iG0HDqgv4&feature=related this was nasty also...

K Train
07-20-2010, 07:06 PM
i do also like james harrisons suplex of chad johnson

Stlrs4Life
07-20-2010, 10:22 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAdPmvltWU0&feature=related

mos07
07-21-2010, 12:08 AM
Throw Limas Sweed a bone and give him some love for his block in the AFC Championship game.........

But I like Lambert planting that Browns QB upside down in the ground..............I am going on foggy memory here - what game was that?

Dean Denton
07-22-2010, 06:55 AM
Ryan Clark on Wes Welker. I loved that hit. Hate New England!!! But this list could go on forever. I think every Steeler Def player and some Off (hines) have made a high light reel or two with bone crushing hits. I'm still waiting on the one that puts Brady in la la land.

Blazedby92
07-22-2010, 08:52 AM
Can't hit him if you can't get within a few feet of him?

SteelDad
07-22-2010, 12:47 PM
Hines hit on Rivers. Done.

75Steeler
07-22-2010, 01:01 PM
Hines hit on Rivers. Done.

Agreed! :plus1:

--- Added 7/22/2010 at 11:01 AM ---

i do also like james harrisons suplex of chad johnson

I like James Harrison's dumping that drunk Browns fan on his head!

Scorp
07-22-2010, 07:33 PM
But I like Lambert planting that Browns QB upside down in the ground..............I am going on foggy memory here - what game was that?[/QUOTE]

It was in the 70's Bro. :yellowthumb: What about when Joe G. was kickin the sh-it out of that browns player in the stomach. Funny as fu-ck. :yellowthumb:

Dean Denton
07-23-2010, 03:49 AM
Can't hit him if you can't get within a few feet of him?True...lol Someone reminded me that someone did hit Brady in the AFC Title game in 2001, knocked him out of the game, and thats when Bledsoe came in and....well, you know what happened....

Blazedby92
07-23-2010, 09:03 AM
It wasn't a very physical hit but when O'donnell threw his second int to larry brown I felt like a mack truck hit me.

coldrolled
07-23-2010, 09:51 AM
It wasn't a very physical hit but when O'donnell threw his second int to larry brown I felt like a mack truck hit me.

it was real bad. i was thinking.. we can finally get rid of this moron...

i have the same feeling alot now on 3rd and short and noone in the backfield.
can we get rid of this idiot.. you know who :yesnod:

LarryNJ
07-23-2010, 11:27 AM

:lol: We all felt that ****.