PDA

View Full Version : Playoff Scenario for the Steelers still alive...

Troyisabeast_43
12-04-2006, 02:04 AM
Believe it or not yes Im back again for my weekly playoff update and Im telling you the Steelers are still in it guys do not give up yet. There are now 5 teams at 7-5 after today's games. Those teams are Denver,Cincy,Jacksonville,The Jets,and Kansas City. All 5 of those teams are currently fighting for 2 wildcard spots. The Steelers keep in mind are still at 5-7 2 games back of all those teams but Im telling you right now the schedules of all 5 of those teams is going to keep the Steelers in it here the next week or two. The Steelers are banged up sure and I know the Browns will want revenge coming in here this week. But I still dont see the Browns coming in here on Thursday night and winning especially if that Derek Anderson guy plays quarterback for the Browns. So the Steelers should be and will be 6-7 by the end of Thursday night which Im telling you will keep them alive another week or so and here is why. The 5 teams ahead of the Steelers either all have tough games next week or have tough games on their schedules remaining.

So with that being said here is the breakdown. Will start with Cincy they play Oakland at home next week so Im assuming they will win that game and get to 8-5 but the next 2 weeks after that they have back to back road games at Indy and at Denver before they play the Steelers the last week so its not impossible to think that the Bengals will lose those last 3 games and finish 8-8 and if we win out we finish at 9-7 and a game ahead. Denver has now lost 3 in a row after losing to Seattle tonight. They play at San Diego next Sunday which is a game I think they will lose which will put them at 7-6 one game behind them in the wildcard race but keep in mind they still have the head to head on us but they do have some tough games left and they do have a rookie qb now in there with Cutler so its not impossible to think they could lose more games. The Jags play Indy next week and will lose that game for sure because there is just no way the Colts will lose 2 in a row. That will put the Jags at 7-6 one game behind them and keep in mind they finish up with games at Tennessee,New England,and at Kansas City. So the Jags finishing 8-8 with that schedule is not impossible either. The Chiefs were the biggest help today laying a huge egg in Cleveland after being up 14 points with 10 minutes left in the 4th to there back up QB. KC is now 7-5 after losing today and they games upcoming against Baltimore and at San Diego in 2 weeks, before finishing up at Oakland and at home with the Jags. The Steelers only need the Chiefs to lose 2 more games because they win the head to head tiebraker with them. So the Chiefs finishing at 9-7 especially with that schedule is very very much possible. Finally here, The Jets is where it gets a bit confusing here they are currently 7-5 and finish up with games against Buffalo,at Minnesota,at Miami and home against Oakland. The Jets do have an easy schedule if you look at it but even if they do finish 9-7 they should have the same conference record as the Steelers and if that happens the next tiebraker is common opponents and the Steelers would win that with the Jets because the Jets lost to Cleveland and still have to play Miami one more time and the Steelers have wins over both of those and would most likely win that tiebraker assuming we beat the Browns Thursday night which we will.

But there you have it though that is the playoff scenario going into next week here and Im telling you its still alive and well for at least another 2 weeks based on that schedule I just gave you for those other teams that need to lose. If you at it very closely and read it on here like I wrote it you will see its not all that impossible. I know its going to be tough for the Steelers to win out and finish at 9-7 with all the injuries and the play still being incosistent. But if they somehow do Im telling you right now they are going to have a shot to get in based on the schedules of all 5 of those teams that they need to lose. Again look at it carefully and you will see why. Im not going to give up like I been saying on here or say the Steelers are out of it until they are officially mathematically out of it and right now they are very much in it and still have a shot going into the next few weeks. Stay tuned and lets just see how this all plays out.

Steelerlyn
12-04-2006, 02:28 AM
That is so true we are still alive! Possible? YES! Probable? I have seen stranger things happen, look at last year a 6th seed going to the Superbowl for the first time in NFL history. Thanks 43 for all the work you have done figuring all this out for all of us here on SA, we all appreciate it and it seems so good to find a person who will not give up on the Steelers!!~ There is too much negativity, it seems good to see a positive post on the Steelers.

:tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02:

Steelersfan
12-04-2006, 02:42 AM
Nice post Troy! While I don't see us making it stranger things have happened. Yes we still have a shot and I want us to win out. We'll have to see what happens with the other teams then. But if we lose one game it is over for us this year.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-04-2006, 03:24 AM
The voice of eternal hope doth speaketh again...

While I also don't see us making the playoffs even though we got alot of help today from other AFC teams and our own win, and yes we do have mostly divisional games left on the schedule, I do see us finishing off strong and ending this year at worst 8-8 but hopefully 9-7. I just think that when it comes to it, Im not sure we can win all of our last 4 games to put us in a position to be in contention. I hope we do win out, and I know we can win out, and I'd love to see us get into the playoffs again, but this year has been anything but normal.

gunnerrick
12-04-2006, 08:02 AM
It is nice to know that there is still a possibility of the Steelers making the Playoffs. However, reality has to set in. They have to win all there remaining games and then hope for some help. I love the Steelers to death but I just don't see this happening. Our offense is still not scoring the points that they are capable of doing. Running game stinks and we are hurting at wide receiver with Cedric going down. I haven't given up hope but this run to the playoffs will be tougher than last year. At least we had our own fate in our hands last year. This year we have to rely on someone else.

House of Steel
12-04-2006, 10:30 AM
I am not throwing in the towel, yet. I think something is about to shock us all in the last 4 weeks. I will be damned if we slide in the playoff with a 6th seed again. That would be something more than a miracle.

Troyisabeast_43
12-04-2006, 11:53 AM
All these things I think WILL happen next week and if they dont have a damn good chance of happening. Denver will lose in SD puts them 7-6,Jags will lose to Indy puts the Jags at 7-6,Kansas City will lose to Baltimore puts them at 7-6, Jets lose to Buffalo who has been playing very very well lately remember the only lost to Indy by one point in Indy and San Diego yesterday by 3, and beat the Jags last week. So I definitely think they can beat the Jets and that will put them at 7-6, the only team that has an easy week is Cincy who plays Oakland they should beat them and get to 8-5, but keep in mind Cincy has to finish off with games at Indy,at Denver, and with us down there. So with that schedule they can very easily finish at 8-8. The Steelers WILL beat Cleveland and get to 6-7 and if that happens and all of those teams that I just mentioned do lose which as I said is a very very good possibility, then they will just be 1 game out of a wildcard spot going into Carolina with 10 days to prepare. Its very very possible guys so like I been saying on here dont give up just yet and look very closely at what I just said and you will see that things can fall our way at least one more week and keep us alive.

AZ_Steeler
12-04-2006, 12:32 PM
It's great to see that the Steelers still have an outside shot of making the playoffs, but I'm not going to hold my breath! Nice write up Troy!

BlitzburghRockCity
12-04-2006, 01:25 PM
I am not throwing in the towel, yet. I think something is about to shock us all in the last 4 weeks. I will be damned if we slide in the playoff with a 6th seed again. That would be something more than a miracle.

Miracles never cease right !! It's a long shot beyond all long shots and would definately prove that in the NFL the parity is stronger now more than ever.

Black@Gold Forever32
12-04-2006, 01:35 PM
Its nice to keep the faith. But what has the Steelers shown this season that makes you think that the Steelers can beat the Panthers, Ravens and Bengals? I see 7-9 at best.

Steelerlyn
12-04-2006, 01:47 PM
Its nice to keep the faith. But what has the Steelers shown this season that makes you think that the Steelers can beat the Panthers, Ravens and Bengals? I see 7-9 at best.

He is just showing us that the possibility is there. Until the Fat Lady sings when we are mathematically, totally completely out. He is telling us merely that at this point in time, we are still alive. :tt02: :tt02: :tt02:

SteelersWoman
12-04-2006, 05:48 PM
Thanks Troy--heck of a lot of work there!

Just think--we're 3-1 for our last four games :D So who knows...anything's possible :)

Black@Gold Forever32
12-04-2006, 09:00 PM
He is just showing us that the possibility is there. Until the Fat Lady sings when we are mathematically, totally completely out. He is telling us merely that at this point in time, we are still alive. :tt02: :tt02: :tt02:

I understand this. But the Steelers all year havn't shown they're a good football team and their last two wins were against the Browns and the Bucs. Plus struggled vs both of those bad teams.

Like I said its nice to keep the faith and I have no problem with it. Feel free all you want. I just don't look for it to happen. Now don't mention last year. The Steelers were a really good football team last year even at 7-5 we all knew they were better then their 7- 5 record. But this year the Steelers are 5-7 and have played like a 5-7 team. I say 7-9 at best but looks more like 6-10.

Steelerlyn
12-04-2006, 09:32 PM
BELIEVE

BlitzburghRockCity
12-04-2006, 09:33 PM
If we're going to pull off a 9-7 record it's going to take a run of last year's proportions for us to get to that record and finish out the year. Sure it can be done, but this team has alot of focusing to do and alot of proving to do. Plus with Troy and Hines still on the mend, Cedric and Ryan injured that makes it even harder.

Steelerlyn
12-04-2006, 09:45 PM
If we're going to pull off a 9-7 record it's going to take a run of last year's proportions for us to get to that record and finish out the year. Sure it can be done, but this team has alot of focusing to do and alot of proving to do. Plus with Troy and Hines still on the mend, Cedric and Ryan injured that makes it even harder.

Yes the injuries do hurt us a great deal, no minimizing of that fact or any other fact.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-04-2006, 09:48 PM
Argueably the 2 best players on our team, or atleast 2 of the best to say the least are out this week and we thin at WR and DB right now so we absolutey cannot afford any injuries and we need everyone to step up bigger than ever.

Koopa
12-04-2006, 10:08 PM
:smh2: seeing these threads each week are getting on my nerves lol.....get over it already, i know you want to stay positive but it's just not realistic stop lying to yourself already, there is no playoff scenario for the steelers, we have no chance in hell

BlitzburghRockCity
12-04-2006, 10:16 PM
The positive voice of the 10 gallon hat wearing, rap jammin, texas cowboy wannabe shines through again !

:greengrin:

Black@Gold Forever32
12-04-2006, 10:21 PM
:smh2: seeing these threads each week are getting on my nerves lol.....get over it already, i know you want to stay positive but it's just not realistic stop lying to yourself already, there is no playoff scenario for the steelers, we have no chance in hell

+1

I agree Koop. Hey anyway what area do you think the Steelers should address with their first round pick?

Troyisabeast_43
12-04-2006, 11:38 PM
I wont stop until were eliminated Koopa so Ill continue to be a pain in your *** each and every week until we are done which wont be for awhile here. Im not saying were going to make it but like I been saying were not out of it yet,and if we do make it Ill look like a complete genius so your going to have to deal with me like I said until were officially eliminated and right now its not even remotely close to being true.

K Train
12-04-2006, 11:39 PM
lol i just want some self respect for the team...playoffs are out o the question, we finish 9-7...im happy, ge our **** together for next year.

Steelerlyn
12-05-2006, 07:39 AM
I wont stop until were eliminated Koopa so Ill continue to be a pain in your *** each and every week until we are done which wont be for awhile here. Im not saying were going to make it but like I been saying were not out of it yet,and if we do make it Ill look like a complete genius so your going to have to deal with me like I said until were officially eliminated and right now its not even remotely close to being true.

I like your playofff scenarios, please continue them as long as we are alive!

House of Steel
12-05-2006, 11:02 AM
I don't mind them, but in reality, it will be a miracle of epic proportions to slide our butts into the last Wild Card Spot. Common Sense.

Steelersfan
12-05-2006, 12:50 PM
There nothing wrong with either point of view. I myself don't think we will make it (odds) but I will sure as hell be watching the games and cheering the Steelers on (or bitching them out...lol)!!!
We can't control what happens with the other teams so I don't usually go there.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-05-2006, 12:57 PM
Well said SF...there's clearly 2 sides to the fence on this debate but regardless of whether we do make it in or we don't you each one of us will be cheering and screaming, or bitching and screaming for every single one just like always :tt02:

augustashark
12-06-2006, 03:55 PM
I could be wrong here, but I think that if KC and Denver ends up tied at 9-7 with us, then the first tie breaker would be inside the divison. If thats the case then I think KC would win out on that tie breaker then it would come down to head to head between KC and Pitt. We as you know would win that tie breaker.....This was in play last year with two game remaining. It was us SD and KC.....I could be wrong....If I'm not then that would be a little more light at the end of the tunnel.

Also, I love how Koopa has "Fire Mac Brown the fag" on his Sig.....Koopa, you won a Championship last year and lost your best player to the draft started a Freshman QB and you want Mac fired.....LOL>>>>>>>>

Troyisabeast_43
12-06-2006, 05:01 PM
No your absolutely right on the money Shark if there is a 3 or 4 way tie at 9-7 between lets say the Steelers,Denver,KC,and the Jags the head to head meetings get totally tossed out the window. As you said it would first be broken within the division and KC right now at this point looks like they will finish with the better division record then Denver and thus if both do finish 9-7 they would indeed as you said cancel Denver out. I dont know how they would break a 3 way tie with the Steelers,Jags,and KC if all were 9-7 because the Jags play KC the last week of the season. I figured out that if the Steelers and Jets finish at 9-7 and both have the same conference record the next tiebraker I think would be either strength of schedule or common opponents and the Steelers would have an edge in both of those head to head tiebrakers. And keep in mind one more thing even though Cincy is 7-5 and plays a bad Raiders team at home this week and should go to 8-5 they still have to finish up with games At Indy,at Denver, and against the Steelers and can easily finish at 8-8 with that rough of a schedule. And if the Steelers do win out and finish 9-7 which I think they have a very good shot of doing still Carolina isnt looking that tough of a game now there 6-6, The Ravens can be beat here Christmas Eve because of the payback factor for last game, and the same can be said with Cincy as well. There is just too much football left and its still as Ive been saying very very possible for the Steelers to still win out and get that last spot because all of the teams there chasing as Ive been saying have very very tough games to finish out the year.

SteelersfaninPhilly
12-06-2006, 05:16 PM
The six postseason participants from each conference will now be seeded as follows:

1. The division champion with the best record.
2. The division champion with the second-best record.
3. The division champion with the third-best record.
4. The division champion with the fourth-best record.
5. The Wild Card club with the best record.
6. The Wild Card club with the second-best record.

The following procedures will be used to break standings ties for postseason playoffs and to determine regular-season schedules.

NOTE: Tie games count as one-half win and one-half loss for both clubs.
TO BREAK A TIE WITHIN A DIVISION

If, at the end of the regular season, two or more clubs in the same division finish with identical won-lost-tied percentages, the following steps will be taken until a champion is determined.

Two Clubs

1. Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games between the clubs).
2. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the division.
3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games.
4. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
5. Strength of victory.
6. Strength of schedule.
7. Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
8. Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
9. Best net points in common games.
10. Best net points in all games.
11. Best net touchdowns in all games.

Three or More Clubs

(Note: If two clubs remain tied after third or other clubs are eliminated during any step, tie breaker reverts to step 1 of the two-club format).

1. Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games among the clubs).
2. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the division.
3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games.
4. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
5. Strength of victory.
6. Strength of schedule.
7. Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
9. Best net points in common games.

TO BREAK A TIE FOR THE WILD-CARD TEAM

If it is necessary to break ties to determine the two Wild-Card clubs from each conference, the following steps will be taken.

1. If the tied clubs are from the same division, apply division tie breaker.
2. If the tied clubs are from different divisions, apply the following steps.

Two Clubs

1. Head-to-head, if applicable.
2. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games, minimum of four.
4. Strength of victory.
5. Strength of schedule.
6. Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
7. Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
8. Best net points in conference games.
9. Best net points in all games.
10. Best net touchdowns in all games.
11. Coin toss.

Three or More Clubs

(Note: If two clubs remain tied after third or other clubs are eliminated, tie breaker reverts to step 1 of applicable two-club format.)

1. Apply division tie breaker to eliminate all but the highest ranked club in each division prior to proceeding to step 2. The original seeding within a division upon application of the division tie breaker remains the same for all subsequent applications of the procedure that are necessary to identify the two Wild-Card participants.
2. Head-to-head sweep. (Applicable only if one club has defeated each of the others or if one club has lost to each of the others.)
3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
4. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games, minimum of four.
5. Strength of victory.
6. Strength of schedule.
9. Best net points in conference games.
12. Coin toss

When the first Wild-Card team has been identified, the procedure is repeated to name the second Wild-Card, i.e., eliminate all but the highest-ranked club in each division prior to proceeding to step 2. In situations where three or more teams from the same division are involved in the procedure, the original seeding of the teams remains the same for subsequent applications of the tie breaker if the top-ranked team in that division qualifies for a Wild-Card berth.
OTHER TIE-BREAKING PROCEDURES

1. Only one club advances to the playoffs in any tie-breaking step. Remaining tied clubs revert to the first step of the applicable division or Wild-Card tie breakers. As an example, if two clubs remain tied in any tie-breaker step after all other clubs have been eliminated, the procedure reverts to step one of the two-club format to determine the winner. When one club wins the tie breaker, all other clubs revert to step 1 of the applicable two-club or three-club format.

2. In comparing division and conference records or records against common opponents among tied teams, the best won-lost-tied percentage is the deciding factor since teams may have played an unequal number of games.

3. To determine home-field priority among division titlists, apply Wild-Card tie breakers.

4. To determine home-field priority for Wild-Card qualifiers, apply division tie breakers (if teams are from the same division) or Wild-Card tie breakers (if teams are from different divisions).

TIE-BREAKING PROCEDURE FOR SELECTION MEETING

If two or more clubs are tied in the selection order, the strength-of-schedule tie breaker is applied, subject to the following exceptions for playoff clubs:

1. The Super Bowl winner is last and the Super Bowl loser next-to-last.
2. Any non-Super Bowl playoff club involved in a tie shall be assigned priority within its segment below that of non-playoff clubs and in the order that the playoff clubs exited from the playoffs. Thus, within a tied segment a playoff club that loses in the Wild-Card game will have priority over a playoff club that loses in the Divisional playoff game, which in turn will have priority over a club that loses in the Conference Championship game. If two tied clubs exited the playoffs in the same round, the tie is broken by strength of schedule.
If any ties cannot be broken by strength of schedule, the divisional or conference tie breakers, whichever are applicable, are applied. Any ties that still exist are broken by a coin flip.

provided by NFL.com

Black@Gold Forever32
12-06-2006, 08:41 PM
Troy you do very good job. I just don't like getting my hopes up. If the Steelers had played more consistent and shown that they could make a late season run then I could see the Steelers maybe getting in.

But all season the Steelers have been a bad football team this year....(especially on the road). But hey no harm in keeping the hope alive. I'm just selling bigtime on the Steelers making the play-offs this year.

SteelerFan87
12-07-2006, 12:22 AM
Lol, you gotta love Troyisabeast's optimism. Keep it up man, I enjoy reading it.

Steelersfan
12-07-2006, 12:44 AM
Lol, you gotta love Troyisabeast's optimism. Keep it up man, I enjoy reading it.

I agree to 87. I like reading his stuff too!

BlacknGold Bleeder
12-07-2006, 01:14 AM
Gimme a drink of that Kool aid... I want to believe but that light at the end of the tunnel could be a train !!

Troyisabeast_43
12-07-2006, 07:32 PM
Thanks guys I appreciate the kind words and I do still believe man I wont quit until the math is impossible as Ive been saying and you can take it to the bank that after tonight the Steelers will be 6-7 and with all the tough games by the teams were chasing coming up on Sunday it is still very very possible to win out and get that wildcard spot. The Carolina game is not looking as tough as it was before. They are having issues now with Jake Delhomme not being healthy and Weinke starting down there this week for them. Im telling you if the Steelers do win tonight and in Carolina they are going to have a very very good shot to run the table and win against Baltimore here and beat Cincy down there as well. Keep hope alive guys you gotta believe baby GO STEELERS BEAT THE POOP STAINS TONIGHT!!!

BlitzburghRockCity
12-07-2006, 07:41 PM
If that light at the end of the tunnel is a train then let's hope it's heading right for the Browns to crush em !!

Troyisabeast_43
12-08-2006, 01:05 AM
6-7 guys has happened just like I said it would and thus it keeps the Steelers alive another week. I just got home tonight dont have time to explain my latest scenario but I will do so tomorrow. Im telling you guys this team is gonna get healthy next week and have a shot I feel to run the table and possibly still get in at 9-7. I told you it wasnt over and it still isnt over not until we lose that 8th game. Ill explain more tomorrow nice win tonight way to go Willie hell of a game!!!

Steelerlyn
12-08-2006, 01:08 AM
Hey 43! Love it, love it, love it and I am waiting for your latest scenario!~:tt02:

Steelersfan
12-08-2006, 01:17 AM
6-7 guys has happened just like I said it would and thus it keeps the Steelers alive another week. I just got home tonight dont have time to explain my latest scenario but I will do so tomorrow. Im telling you guys this team is gonna get healthy next week and have a shot I feel to run the table and possibly still get in at 9-7. I told you it wasnt over and it still isnt over not until we lose that 8th game. Ill explain more tomorrow nice win tonight way to go Willie hell of a game!!!

It's not us getting to 9-7 that worries me. We have a lot of teams that have to lose for us to have a chance. Let's see what happens Sunday now t hat we have won.

AZ_Steeler
12-08-2006, 01:23 AM
Before tonights game the Steelers were in the 11th spot. Here is a link that is actually accessable form the homepage (Click on the Standings tab then select "Complete Conferenece Standings") http://www.nfl.com/standings/conference This link show everything including the tie breakers!

The Steelers need A LOT of help!

Steelerlyn
12-08-2006, 01:30 AM
Yeppers al whole lot of teams have to lose.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-08-2006, 10:16 AM
Im surprised 43 hasn't been on here yet to give us his latest scenario !

edit, just scrolled up and saw he was here :lol: ok dude, what are you waiting for:lol:

gunnerrick
12-08-2006, 10:51 AM
It is not impossible but we do need a lot of help. It should become a little clearer after this week. Just keep hope in your heart. :helmet:

AZ_Steeler
12-08-2006, 12:07 PM
This weekend the Steelers need the Jets (Bills), Jacksonville (Colts), Chiefs (Ravens) and Denver (@ Chargers) to all lose! (The team in quotes is who that team is playing) :bigthumb:

BlitzburghRockCity
12-08-2006, 01:00 PM
Denver will lose to the Chargers
Chiefs will lose to the Ratbirds
Jags will lose to the Colts ( I hope)
Jets will lose to the Bills

That is a very makeable scenario, for this week atleast.

AZ_Steeler
12-08-2006, 01:48 PM
The funny thing is a few weeks back we wanted the Chiefs to beat the Ravens because we were looking at still winning the North :lol: