PDA

View Full Version : LaMarr Woodley still Steelers' top priority

Big T
07-13-2010, 08:33 PM
Report: LaMarr Woodley still Steelers' top priority
Posted by Evan Silva on July 13, 2010 7:31 PM ET

On Tuesday night's Total Access program, NFL Network's Jason La Canfora threw cold water on a recent ESPN report that (falsely?) indicated the Steelers aren't in any rush to re-sign contract-year linebacker LaMarr Woodley. *The positivity of La Canfora's report was backed up by the Saginaw News on Tuesday.

According to La Canfora, re-signing Woodley remains the Steelers' "No. 1 priority." *La Canfora added that he can envision "no scenario where Woodley is not" a Steeler in 2011, going so far as to predict the Steelers would franchise tag Woodley if such a designation is still available. *La Canfora was adamant that Woodley isn't going anywhere.

The Saginaw News*wasn't quite as strong, but directly disputes ESPN. *According to the newspaper, the idea promoted in ESPN AFC North blogger James Walker's report "doesn't mean the Steelers won't sign Woodley to a new contract. *Once the new collective bargaining agreement is in place, the Steelers are expected to sign Woodley to a multi-year contract."

Granted, no new CBA is imminent. *Woodley could easily wind up playing out this season for his scheduled $550,000 salary, and making it to the winter of 2011 without a long-term contract in place. *However, the latest reports on the organization's feelings about Woodley indicate that he's viewed by the Pittsburgh front office as a building block and potential career Steeler. *Not someone the team is going to let get away.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/07/13/report-lamarr-woodley-still-steelers-top-priority/

BlitzburghRockCity
07-13-2010, 09:02 PM
Just got this text from KDKA, after hearing about LaCanfora on NFLN disputing ESPN's report that Wood isn't getting a new deal this year.

Pretty much what we thought here anyways, anybody with any common sense knows that the Steelers aren't going to let Wood get away after he's been such a force in career with us so far.

cmerrifield
07-13-2010, 10:29 PM
I hate that its LaCanfora saying he is, that guy is never right :yesnod:

Either way, whether its this offseason or next Woodley will be a Steeler for years to come.

K Train
07-14-2010, 08:36 AM
i would lose alot of faith in this teams ability to build a championship roster if they sign 30+ year old harrison to a top dollar OLB deal and let a young monster OLB in woodley just walk away

JensK
07-14-2010, 11:48 AM
They'll get something done, but they are not stupid... They know they can't give him a good deal this year because of the salary situation. Sure, they could give him a shitton of guaranteed money, but Steelers don't do that, and Woodley and his agent should know that.

roosterray
07-14-2010, 11:54 AM
Woodley for life. Harrison won't be around for his full contract if the new Rooks in Worlids and Gibson come around. His lack of size will eventually be his downfall. If our Defense is healthy in the secondary, that makes both Harrison and Woodley more dominant. We only dropped off sacks between them from 27 to 23.5. Imagine if we covered anyone in the 4th quarter how we could have had more.

Black@Gold Forever32
07-14-2010, 06:41 PM
No CBA in place is the main factor in the Steelers not resigning Woodley at this point......The salary cap is gone and who knows if a cap will be in place with the new CBA........Plus we don't know if there will be franchise tags in the future.......

I don't see the Steelers letting Woodley go next year when he is a FA.....Hell there might not even be a season next year anyway....lol

mos07
07-14-2010, 11:01 PM
Feel safe to buy Woodley jerseys - he is not going anywhere....anyone in need of a Holmes/Parker jersey?????????

KSSteelerfan
07-15-2010, 01:46 AM
I hate that its LaCanfora saying he is, that guy is never right :yesnod:

Either way, whether its this offseason or next Woodley will be a Steeler for years to come.

This.....:yellowthumb:

K Train
07-15-2010, 10:13 AM
Woodley for life. Harrison won't be around for his full contract if the new Rooks in Worlids and Gibson come around. His lack of size will eventually be his downfall. If our Defense is healthy in the secondary, that makes both Harrison and Woodley more dominant. We only dropped off sacks between them from 27 to 23.5. Imagine if we covered anyone in the 4th quarter how we could have had more.

harrison will probably move inside if worild and gibson turn into studs

worilds/gibson OLB, timmons and harrison MLB and woodley OLB would be perfect.

id actually rather have timmons on the outside and harrison replace farrior right now, that would have them both at more natural positions

coldrolled
07-15-2010, 10:53 AM

id actually rather have timmons on the outside and harrison replace farrior right now, that would have them both at more natural positions

wouldnt gibson fit the farrior position better in a year?

K Train
07-15-2010, 11:06 AM
no way, gibson is a converted DE. He has ridiculous speed and he put up something like 33 reps at 225....however hes on the smaller side with only like 240 pounds behind him. hes an incredible athlete though and very powerful and smooth. i would imagine hes gonna need time before hes any good against the run besides like tackle for losses because a guard could easily blow his **** up. harrison however is the best LB against the run that ive personally ever seen, hes strong as an ox and can just take on guards like its no big deal AND hes a pretty good, not great pass rusher.

timmons is a tremendous pass rusher but hes weak against the run, he would be better off switching with harrison.

scudmissile29
07-15-2010, 01:10 PM
woodley can be franchised tag, then it gives us another offseason to get a deal done.

cmerrifield
07-15-2010, 01:39 PM
woodley can be franchised tag, then it gives us another offseason to get a deal done.

There is no guarantee that the franchise tag will be around with the new CBA, the Steelers cannot rely on that, it might not be there.

ejsteeler
07-15-2010, 02:15 PM

My God! That sounds awesome if Worilds or Gibson really came through.

roosterray
07-15-2010, 04:35 PM
It would be interesting to see how Harrison would do being in Farriors spot. I don't know the answer to this, but how would he do being the play caller and being strictly a run stopper and cover guy.

Whoever is where, I really like the future of our LBs after the draft. Now we just need to get our oline and dline depth.

K Train
07-16-2010, 08:30 AM
It would be interesting to see how Harrison would do being in Farriors spot. I don't know the answer to this, but how would he do being the play caller and being strictly a run stopper and cover guy.

Whoever is where, I really like the future of our LBs after the draft. Now we just need to get our oline and dline depth.

harrison filled in for farrior when farrior was hurt long before harrison was a starter. the man is a hammer of a LB, he has had a few picks in that spot (pick where he hurdled over tomlinson like 5 years ago) but hes a good pass rusher and a great run stuffer, he would be able to play all 4 positions but at this point in both of their careers harrison is much better suited for the MLB spot than farrior who has lost 3-4 steps and is a shadow of his former self. harrison thrives in traffic, i really hope they consider bumping him inside eventually

BlitzburghRockCity
07-16-2010, 08:40 AM
Yeah that's the great thing about Harrison, he can play all 4 spots which makes him as valuable as you can get. We know Wood is set on the oustide, he's a beast and he'll get his new deal either this season or before he hits the market next year. Timmons, I could see him pulling a Chad Brown where he's a staple on the inside but either due to injury or just production they move him outside since he's got mad pass rushing skills, and then moving Harrison inside. James is still on top of his game and keeping the beast playing opposite Woodley would be the ideal scenario.

Farrior is really the key in all this, his production will be a big factor in how this group pans out in 2010. We all know they're talented but if he has another sub par year, Tomlin would need to consider taking him out of the full time rotation and trying Harrison inside, Timmons outside, and then some combination of Farrior, Foote, or Captain Kangaroo on the inside opposite James H.

HUNT4SEVEN
07-16-2010, 12:42 PM
i would lose alot of faith in this teams ability to build a championship roster if they sign 30+ year old harrison to a top dollar OLB deal and let a young monster OLB in woodley just walk away

Well said:clap::clap:

MattyVfromCT
07-16-2010, 08:42 PM

cosigned. letting woodley leave would easily be one of the dumbest decisions in nfl history. not that i think they will let him go, but IF they did it will take me a long time to get over that