View Full Version : Tomlin gets contract extension

Big T
07-13-2010, 04:56 AM
Steelers' Tomlin receives contract extension
Tuesday, July 13, 2010
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Peter Diana/Post-Gazette

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin.
The Steelers have ended speculation about Mike Tomlin's status as their coach by coming to an agreement with him on a three-year contract extension, the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette has learned.

Tomlin's new contract will carry him through 2014. His previous contract, signed when the Steelers hired him in '07, had one year and an option left. The five-year deal was worth an average of $2.5 million annually.

The Steelers have not yet announced Tomlin's new contract and financial terms were unavailable.

Steelers president Art Rooney, who negotiated the deal with his coach, is on vacation and could not be reached for comment.

In similar circumstances, Arizona Cardinals coach Ken Whisenhunt, with two years left on his first deal, signed an entirely new five-year contract in February that reportedly will pay him an annual average of between $5.5 million and $6 million.

In the past when the Steelers extended the contract of former coach Bill Cowher, the terms of the original deal would remain in place and the new salary would not kick in until the new extended portion of the contract began.

Whisenhunt was a candidate to replace Cowher, who resigned as Steelers coach after the 2006 season. Instead, Whisenhunt took Arizona's offer to become the Cardinals' head coach and the Steelers hired Tomlin.

Whisenhunt and Tomlin received virtually identical contracts of four years and an option year that averaged $2.5 million annually.

If Tomlin, 38, and the Steelers followed suit and negotiated a comparable contract again, it would be the highest contract the team has paid its head coach. For that to happen, however, an entirely new contract would have had to be done and it does not appear to have happened.

Tomlin's record as coach is 31-17 in three regular seasons.

Since Cowher succeeded Chuck Noll as their coach in 1992, the Steelers traditionally extended his contract whenever there were two years remaining on his old deal. Sometimes the extension would be for two years, others for three.

They did that until the sides could not come to terms before the 2006 season and Cowher resigned with one year left on his deal.

Often, those contract extensions came well before the start of training camp, and as Tomlin's fourth camp at Saint Vincent College approached its July 30 start with no news on a contract extension, speculation took hold as to whether the Steelers even wanted to negotiate one.

Tomlin's 2009 team failed to defend its Super Bowl title when, after a 6-2 start, it lost five in a row and tumbled to 9-7.

There were reports shortly after the season that Tomlin would fire offensive coordinator Bruce Arians at the behest of the front office.

While Tomlin did fire several coaches, he kept Arians. Tomlin and Art Rooney denied there were any pressure to fire Arians.

There also has been speculation about football operations director Kevin Colbert's status because he is in the final year of his contract and because of persistent Internet reports that he would team up with Cowher as general manager of another NFL team. Cowher has not coached since 2006 and has worked as a studio host for CBS's "NFL Today" since the '07 season.

Colbert is expected to receive a new contract as well.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10194/1072422-66.stm?cmpid=steelers.xml

Dean Denton
07-13-2010, 05:06 AM
He better put a better team on the field this year. One with a heart would be nice. They looked like crap last year, and made want my money back for my NFL Sunday ticket. Never have I been so pissed having to watch a team play with no pulse.

JensK
07-13-2010, 05:16 AM
I like it. It actually gives him a little time to build a new team. I think most fans have been a little hard against Tomlin. We want him to create his own team, however we also want Playoffs and Superbowls every year. Those two things does not go hand in hand. If we want Tomlin to create his own team with his own philosophy, then we'll have to take a few seasons where we may not reach the playoffs. Now hes got a few years to show everyone that he knows what to do as a coach, even when it gets tough!

I love how they are working on Colbert as well!

coldrolled
07-13-2010, 08:07 AM
this is good for the team.. go tomlin. where is the bruce arians contract extension? hmm... this is even better for the team.

greg1964
07-13-2010, 08:21 AM
great for Tomlin, he has done more in three years than Cowher did in his 1st three years.

steelersbabex25
07-13-2010, 09:15 AM
Good. I hope Tomlin stays with this team for a long time as long as he continues to do great things. A line of great coaches..Chuck Noll, Bill Cowher, Mike Tomlin :crossfingers:

BlacknGold Bleeder
07-13-2010, 09:33 AM
Good news !! we'll see how it goes as long as he keeps improving he should stay !!

LatrobePA
07-13-2010, 09:46 AM
Don't care either way to be honest. He lost the team and focus last year, lets hope we get back to form this season....

K Train
07-13-2010, 09:47 AM
3 years is fair, im glad it wasnt like an 8 year deal

BlitzburghRockCity
07-13-2010, 09:56 AM
3 years is fair, im glad it wasnt like an 8 year deal

Yeah I agree, 3 years is decent extention at this point. Considering the subpar year last year and all the drama surrounding this offseason with Ben and Santonio, this coming season will be important to Tomlin's future. His draft picks need to step up, especially the day 2 guys, they need to make an impact and stop this merry go round of musical draft picks who get canned before the preseason is over.

This team is getting to the point where they need to have guys step up because Aaron Smith, Polamalu, and Hampton aren't getting any younger.

Iron City South
07-13-2010, 10:13 AM
Personally, I would have liked to see how he handles this year before throwing him the bone. JMO

75Steeler
07-13-2010, 11:21 AM
I'm glad they signed the 3 year deal too. There has been too much talk about him riding on the success that Cowher built in this team. This deal will give Tomlin an opportunity to prove he has what it takes to put his winning team on the field.

Dobre Shunka
07-13-2010, 01:32 PM
No surprise whatsoever.

Zachintosh66
07-13-2010, 03:00 PM
Wow, totally shocked by ya'll... wheres all those Tomlin haters who want his head on a stick last year?

Im cool with it, i just thought some of you would be going crazy right now.

Blazedby92
07-13-2010, 03:11 PM
Wow, totally shocked by ya'll... wheres all those Tomlin haters who want his head on a stick last year?

Im cool with it, i just thought some of you would be going crazy right now.

You me fair weather fans, If we lose a couple they will be back give it time, just like the Ben fairweather fans.

DanRooney
07-13-2010, 03:23 PM
Great. I'm ready to unleash hell, lose to the Browns and trade Troy for a 5th rounder in 2011. :cope:

HUNT4SEVEN
07-13-2010, 04:29 PM
I like it. It actually gives him a little time to build a new team. I think most fans have been a little hard against Tomlin. We want him to create his own team, however we also want Playoffs and Superbowls every year. Those two things does not go hand in hand. If we want Tomlin to create his own team with his own philosophy, then we'll have to take a few seasons where we may not reach the playoffs. Now hes got a few years to show everyone that he knows what to do as a coach, even when it gets tough!

I love how they are working on Colbert as well!

:clap::clap: Well said i agree 100%:clap:

DanRooney
07-13-2010, 10:28 PM
Tomlin still has a lot to prove, in my eyes at least, which is why I think the Rooneys only extended him for 3 years. I can imagine the family is not too impressed with the lack of control of his team in the offseason. Losing a franchise quarterback that they invested $100 in for 4 games and a star receiver that they traded for a bag of beans probably infuriated them to no end.

Aside from Woodley, Timmons, Mendenhall, and Wallace, I can't personally say I'm too impressed with his (and moreso Colbert's) drafted players. Adding one good player in the rotation per year when your losing superstars left and right to suspension, FA, old age, and injury is not going to cut it. I mean look at the list of drafted failures: Tony Hills, Matt Speath, Ryan McBean, Cameron Stephenson, Mike Humpal, Dennis Dixon (yes he sucks), Kraig Urbik, Frank Summers, Ryan Mundy, William Gay and my personal favorite, Limas Sweed. I will reemphasize the 2008 and 2009 Steelers drafts were two of the worst in their history. His FA acquisitions are pretty much a crapshoot too. Allen Rossum, Sean Mahan, Justin Hartwig, Carey Davis, McHugh and that corner from Indy who played wretched. Mewelde Moore was the best of the bunch but he is an average at 3rd down back. To top it off, he continues to start Cowher's washed up players like Tyrone Carter and Farrior. Those two alone cost us the playoffs last year. We saw how well Keyaran Fox played both in the Titans game, where he lead the team in tackles, and in the Vikings game where he had that return for a TD. Give the man a chance to start. Farrior whiffed on the same play on 4th down in THREE different games. And why did it take him until week 16 to bench William Gay in favor of another one of Cowher's washed up players in Townsend? We were all screaming for him to get canned by week 7.

That being said I believe our past draft was awesome. I'm very high on almost every single pick. I was talking on another forum how the only way it would have been better is if we would have picked up Tate in the 2nd even though this Emmanuel Sanders kid looks very good.

JensK
07-14-2010, 12:53 PM
Tomlin still has a lot to prove, in my eyes at least, which is why I think the Rooneys only extended him for 3 years. I can imagine the family is not too impressed with the lack of control of his team in the offseason. Losing a franchise quarterback that they invested $100 in for 4 games and a star receiver that they traded for a bag of beans probably infuriated them to no end.

Aside from Woodley, Timmons, Mendenhall, and Wallace, I can't personally say I'm too impressed with his (and moreso Colbert's) drafted players. Adding one good player in the rotation per year when your losing superstars left and right to suspension, FA, old age, and injury is not going to cut it. I mean look at the list of drafted failures: Tony Hills, Matt Speath, Ryan McBean, Cameron Stephenson, Mike Humpal, Dennis Dixon (yes he sucks), Kraig Urbik, Frank Summers, Ryan Mundy, William Gay and my personal favorite, Limas Sweed. I will reemphasize the 2008 and 2009 Steelers drafts were two of the worst in their history. His FA acquisitions are pretty much a crapshoot too. Allen Rossum, Sean Mahan, Justin Hartwig, Carey Davis, McHugh and that corner from Indy who played wretched. Mewelde Moore was the best of the bunch but he is an average at 3rd down back. To top it off, he continues to start Cowher's washed up players like Tyrone Carter and Farrior. Those two alone cost us the playoffs last year. We saw how well Keyaran Fox played both in the Titans game, where he lead the team in tackles, and in the Vikings game where he had that return for a TD. Give the man a chance to start. Farrior whiffed on the same play on 4th down in THREE different games. And why did it take him until week 16 to bench William Gay in favor of another one of Cowher's washed up players in Townsend? We were all screaming for him to get canned by week 7.

That being said I believe our past draft was awesome. I'm very high on almost every single pick. I was talking on another forum how the only way it would have been better is if we would have picked up Tate in the 2nd even though this Emmanuel Sanders kid looks very good.

You called Sweed a bust, therefor you obviously have no credibility what so ever. :greengrin:

No really i do agree, but i do think we need more years to really judge him and the drafting strategy (altho it looks suspect, yes). 3 years is, as i said earlier, ideal for both parties.

K Train
07-14-2010, 01:19 PM
he doesnt rule the team with the iron fist hes portrayed to in the media....he comes off as a hardass but hes a pussy. he didnt have the balls to fire arians who has no business on the staff at the OC position and hes a players coach just like cowher was. i like him alright i suppose but i have my doubts

many of you are looking at it as he won with cowhers team, thats wrong. we won because of ben and ben only. cowher couldnt win with his roster until ben came around, im sure mike tomlin couldnt win with a cowher built roster if cowher couldnt. ben is the x factor in both of these coaches success, whether you like him or not he made cowher known as someone other than martyball jr and made him the most sought after head coach on the market despite lackluster coaching when it really mattered for the most part of 15 years.

we can have this debate about a great HC vs a great franchise QB....it goes both ways in certain circumstances but in this case the franchise QB takes the cake, theres a reason cowher went his first 13 years without a superbowl and went 15-1 one year and won the superbowl the following as soon as he got one.

and hell ben was just along for the ride back then, he made tomlins job even easier being an established QB who was clutch in key situations by the time the 08 season came around

tomlin has been a shitbag at building a roster so far except for drafting LBs and mike wallace...hes got some growing as a coach to do before i buy into it

LatrobePA
07-14-2010, 03:31 PM
Tomlin don't impress me at all....

Two words: Bruce Arians!

andyg1984
07-14-2010, 05:35 PM
we may have won because of ben, but by defintion it was Cowher's team ... woodley obviously played a big role in the D and who knows if we would have been as good on D without a stud OLB combo, but 90% of the meaningful contribution came from BC's guys ..

Real Deal Steel
07-15-2010, 01:20 AM
I admit that I have some questions on some things since Tomlin took over but I think your going waaaay over the top K-train.

Yes Arians is kind of crappy and I'd like to see a change there but I'm more concerned with our ability to re-establish a power running game to balance our offense in accord to getting the O-line back up to snuff.

I'd like to see how Arians does with a better O-line to make a better assesment.

JensK
07-15-2010, 03:24 AM
Us not being able to run and Arians is two things that are pretty much identical. Its pisspoor playcalling. You have to make the best with the players you have, not call plays they are not capable of playing.

K Train
07-15-2010, 10:48 AM
I admit that I have some questions on some things since Tomlin took over but I think your going waaaay over the top K-train.

Yes Arians is kind of crappy and I'd like to see a change there but I'm more concerned with our ability to re-establish a power running game to balance our offense in accord to getting the O-line back up to snuff.

I'd like to see how Arians does with a better O-line to make a better assesment.

no thats the thing, arians insists on running 3 TEs, no FB and spread offense stuff....things you are saying about not being able to run the ball and things im saying about how terrible arians is are one in the same

DanRooney
07-23-2010, 06:02 PM
Steelers extend Tomlin only two years, with an option for a third

Posted by Mike Florio on July 23, 2010 1:49 PM ET
As previously reported by Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, the Steelers have extended the contract of coach Mike Tomlin.

But it's not a three-year extension, per se. Tomlin's deal, from his perspective, has been extended only two years. The team holds an option for the third new year.

The team announced the new deal today. Surprisingly, the announcement included the details regarding the duration of the deal.

"Mike Tomlin has proven to be one of the top head coaches in the National Football League in a relatively short time," Steelers' President Art Rooney II said in a release. "His unique ability to lead the team and motivate individuals have been key factors in our success over recent years."

Said Tomlin, "I have been blessed to have the opportunity to be the head coach for the Pittsburgh Steelers. I am excited to have the opportunity to live and work in this great city, and to focus on the true matter at hand, which is winning football games and bringing another Super Bowl title to Pittsburgh."

After only one year as a defensive coordinator, Tomlin was a surprise choice to replace Cowher, a move that came amid indications that the team initially planned to hire former Steelers offensive line coach Russ Grimm. Cowher endorsed Chan Gailey, who now is the head coach of the Bills.

An expert in the Cover 2 defense, Tomlin wisely realized that the Pittsburgh roster and coaching staff was suited to the 3-4, and so Tomlin didn't change to a 4-3. (Redskins coach Mike Shanahan would have been wise to do the same upon taking the job earlier this year in D.C.)

Still unknown is the compensation Tomlin will receive to pursue another Super Bowl title. Former Steelers coach Bi

Cowher resigned after the 2006 season because, we believe, he knew he'd never get market value in Pittsburgh. We'd be shocked, frankly, if the Steelers gave Tomlin something in the range of $7 million or more per year.

Either way, he's under contract through 2012. The team can keep him through 2013. Barring something unforeseen, he'll get another new deal before that time comes.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/07/23/steelers-extend-tomlin-only-two-years-with-an-option-for-a-third/

Screams a vote of no confidence :2cents:

Black@Gold Forever32
07-23-2010, 07:10 PM
he doesnt rule the team with the iron fist hes portrayed to in the media....he comes off as a hardass but hes a pussy. he didnt have the balls to fire arians who has no business on the staff at the OC position and hes a players coach just like cowher was. i like him alright i suppose but i have my doubts

many of you are looking at it as he won with cowhers team, thats wrong. we won because of ben and ben only. cowher couldnt win with his roster until ben came around, im sure mike tomlin couldnt win with a cowher built roster if cowher couldnt. ben is the x factor in both of these coaches success, whether you like him or not he made cowher known as someone other than martyball jr and made him the most sought after head coach on the market despite lackluster coaching when it really mattered for the most part of 15 years.

we can have this debate about a great HC vs a great franchise QB....it goes both ways in certain circumstances but in this case the franchise QB takes the cake, theres a reason cowher went his first 13 years without a superbowl and went 15-1 one year and won the superbowl the following as soon as he got one.

and hell ben was just along for the ride back then, he made tomlins job even easier being an established QB who was clutch in key situations by the time the 08 season came around

tomlin has been a shitbag at building a roster so far except for drafting LBs and mike wallace...hes got some growing as a coach to do before i buy into it

This post brought tears to my eyes.......:lol: I agree Ktrain with everything you said man.....You're spot on about Big Ben in this thread.....What you said about Ben is why I defend Ben so much.....Cowher went 13 like you said without winning a Super Bowl and it wasn't until Cowher finally had a QB worth a damn that got Cowher over the hump.......Marty/Cowher ball was a proven failure in the play-offs.....

The only two times Cowher led teams reached the Super Bowl was when Cowher actually opened up the offense........The 95 season O'Donnell threw to 4-5 WR sets all year and really it was the passing game that was a big factor in the Steelers reaching Super Bowl XXX......The Steelers still were a solid running team in 95 with Erric Pegram/Bam Morris combo at RB but not the dominating running teams like the Foster/Bettis led Steelers teams under Cowher........But it was the balance provided by the passing game that carried the Steelers that season....Of course O'Donnell failed in Super Bowl XXX....

In the play-offs in 2005 Cowher/Whisenhunt opened up the play-book and threw the ball early in games to get the lead.....Really the Steelers running game was a non factor in the post-season that season (Except for Parkers 75 yard TD in the Super Bowl XL)........Ben did **** the bed in Super Bowl XL but his play overall that post-season was the biggest factor in the Steelers reaching the Super Bowl......

As for Tomlin...I don't buy into the whole he won with Cowher's roster......Rosters change every off-season.....Tomlin added his own players to the roster through the draft who was also factors in the Steelers winning Super XLIII......Plus Tomlin cut Joey Porter to allow James Harrison to start.....Porter wouldn't have been cut under Cowher....Noway he was Cowher's boy........I loved Porter but I doubt Porter would have had the season that Harrison had in 2008....Even though Porter had a very good year with the Dolphins....But Harrison had so many big and clutch plays in 2008......

I'm not the biggest Tomlin fan and I still have my doubts as well....But I don't have no problem with Tomlin being extended.......He is still a very young HC......I sat through many let downs from Cowher for many years to I can give Tomlin some more time before really calling for his head....I'm sure I will let out a couple Fire Tomlin rants this season but I'm bat **** crazy when watching Steelers games.....just the type of fan I am....lol

BlitzburghRockCity
07-24-2010, 11:07 AM
One can't blame the Rooney's for not going all out on this deal; it's a fair extension and more than enough time for Tomlin to prove he can plug all the holes on this team currently occupied with aging veterans. I wouldn't say that he needs to win another super bowl before this deal is done, to get another, but putting together a roster full of talented young players and key free agent pickups has got to be top priority. You can't have drafts like he's had already so far, where only the the traditional day 1 picks contribute, much less even make the roster. There has to be a sense of urgency with him and the coaches to go out and spend the money to get the players you need, to draft correctly, and to address the key positions on this team. Our track record of drafting over the last 5-7 years has been nothing spectacular. The amount of players who have been drafted and cut is unacceptable, the free agent lineman carousel is a joke, and if it wasn't for the linebackers that he's drafted, and Mike Wallace, this team could be even worse off.

So he's proven that when he talks to the talk....well it's just talk. The super win was awesome, nobody can dispute that, but the drop off this team has had now and in the past after Super Bowl XL, is staggering. Arians is a joke, and nobody really knows what he's got over Mike to still be on this roster, but enough is enough. Ben is one of the best QB's in the league, and his stats have been through the roof since Tomlin came here and that's great. The problem is, those stats are Ben being Ben, doing his thing and basically willing this team to win in spite of itself, not because of it. Of course he's going to like Arians, he basically says "hey Ben, go out and do whatever" and Ben says "sure thing Bruce". If that were any other QB besides Ben we could be looking back about the last 3 seasons with maybe 5 wins each. He's covered up more flaws in the offensive system, just by his talent and will alone, than anyone should have to.