PDA

View Full Version : No contract extension for Woodley

xxxsteelernation
07-12-2010, 11:34 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/14749/source-no-extension-for-lamarr-woodley

Should we pitch in the money to keep woodly and do you think that a hines ward senerio in his contract year?

steelersbabex25
07-13-2010, 12:35 AM
Woodley**

That's all.

HUNT4SEVEN
07-13-2010, 03:04 AM
They will get a deal done with Woodley or they will Franchise him either way he's not leaving the black and gold, they just extended Tomlin for 3 more years so i expect them to franchise Woodley this off season until they can get a long term contract done with him, that's if they don't sign him to a deal before the seasons starts, i believe they are really waiting to see what happens with the Cap situation for 2011 if there is one before resigning Woodley

JensK
07-13-2010, 04:23 AM
The thing is, LaMarr have now, at least in public, said that he demands a new contract right now. He is a smart guy - He knows that the cap situation is strange this year, so the contract would have to be with a lot of guaranteed money. He also know, thats now how Steelers do contracts. He most likely also know that Steelers are aware of his value, and that they want him on the team. Besides, Woodley have said that he would rather take a discount to be on a winning team, than get BIG money and be on a bad team. I am most certain that they are going to get something done, its just not likely it'll be before next season, because they don't have a lot to work with this year because of the salary situation.

greg1964
07-13-2010, 07:29 AM
if the 30% rule is in effect: the Steelers should increase Woodley contact this year, with the understanding (wink....wink..) that they will take care of him next year. With Hartwig, Colon, Farrior, Ike, Moore and maybe Ward (if he retires) contacts up next year, there will be money for Woodley

K Train
07-13-2010, 08:47 AM
i wouldnt play for $550,000 if i were him, what if he gets hurt like colon and misses out on his big pay day

cmerrifield
07-13-2010, 09:41 AM
I think he knows that he will get more money if he holds on. The 30% would hurt his contract and he knows that. So, even though its a risk, it will make him more money in the long run to play this year and then the Steelers will work out a deal after this season.

TampaSteelGirl
07-13-2010, 10:01 AM
SHOW THE MAN THE MONEY!!!! :tt02:

roosterray
07-13-2010, 10:23 AM
He will get his due, he practically willed us with Harrison to the title. He has been a beast and deserves to be paid. We have to show more patience with the new ownership style. a bit slower and methodical but we are slowly building the team back up from this off season. I'm very sure they are spending more time right now on figuring out what to do with the Oline and with the CBA coming up, its been obvious for a lot of teams to not do long term deals this year.

75Steeler
07-13-2010, 10:29 AM
I'm sure he is next on the list in priority since Tomlin got his deal. I hope so anyway!

Zachintosh66
07-13-2010, 11:11 AM
I'd rather have Woodley then Harrison. Just sayin...

Layin the wood
07-13-2010, 11:29 AM
He will get his money(next season )and be in the black and gold for a long time!!

K Train
07-13-2010, 12:29 PM
He will get his due, he practically willed us with Harrison to the title. He has been a beast and deserves to be paid. We have to show more patience with the new ownership style. a bit slower and methodical but we are slowly building the team back up from this off season. I'm very sure they are spending more time right now on figuring out what to do with the Oline and with the CBA coming up, its been obvious for a lot of teams to not do long term deals this year.

HA, bringing in randel el, foote, battle, and probably townsend soon isnt slowing building up, its moving backwards

nuclearchihuahuas
07-13-2010, 12:49 PM
They will get a deal done with Woodley or they will Franchise him either way he's not leaving the black and gold, they just extended Tomlin for 3 more years so i expect them to franchise Woodley this off season until they can get a long term contract done with him, that's if they don't sign him to a deal before the seasons starts, i believe they are really waiting to see what happens with the Cap situation for 2011 if there is one before resigning Woodley

TOTALLY AGREE! :plus1: :imho: :yellowthumb:

ejsteeler
07-13-2010, 01:15 PM
HA, bringing in randel el, foote, battle, and probably townsend soon isnt slowing building up, its moving backwards

Not compared to what we had on the field at the end of last year. Maybe moving backward from what you, or most of us, want to see but still an improvement.

andyg1984
07-13-2010, 01:15 PM
Woodley is easily one of the best young pass rushers in the league and deserves to be paid as such .. the deal we made with harrison is going to cause problems both from a budget perspective as well as a baseline for LW's contract imo ..

cmerrifield
07-13-2010, 01:16 PM
Keep in mind there is no guarantee of a franchise tag next season. I am sure the Rooneys are well aware of what is happening withe the CBA and will keep Woodley. It just may or may not be before this season when he gets his deal.

xxxsteelernation
07-13-2010, 02:08 PM
do you think that with the CBA next year that the rooney's will change thing up just for this time and wettle contracts during the year?

cmerrifield
07-13-2010, 02:18 PM
I dont think there will be a CBA until after this season, so no. I will not be surprised if the Rooneys dont resign Woodley until after this season. I hope they do and I want to keep Woodley, but I dont think he'll hit his pay day until after the season. He is taking this news well, you almost wonder if someone from the FO has told him whats going on and that he will be offered a contract when its not governed by a 30% rule.

BlitzburghRockCity
07-13-2010, 02:27 PM
They know they need every cent they have to address the Tackle position on this team and really get some depth at Guard now too depending on how things get shuffled around. I'm sure the Steelers have every intention of bringing Wood back; they know he's a franchise type player and the impact he has is second to none.

Given the situation with the Tackles right now and the fact that they can't give him all the money he wants based on the 30% rule, I'm quite sure they've talked to him and told him, "look we want you here for the long term, we can't give you big money right now until atleast you become a Free Agent. So sit tight and we'll get a deal done with you before you hit the market next year." This team is thin at experienced linebackers right now especially on the outside. There's no guarantee that our draft picks will pan out so keeping Wood around is in their best interest.

cmerrifield
07-13-2010, 02:57 PM
They know they need every cent they have to address the Tackle position on this team and really get some depth at Guard now too depending on how things get shuffled around. I'm sure the Steelers have every intention of bringing Wood back; they know he's a franchise type player and the impact he has is second to none.

Given the situation with the Tackles right now and the fact that they can't give him all the money he wants based on the 30% rule, I'm quite sure they've talked to him and told him, "look we want you here for the long term, we can't give you big money right now until atleast you become a Free Agent. So sit tight and we'll get a deal done with you before you hit the market next year." This team is thin at experienced linebackers right now especially on the outside. There's no guarantee that our draft picks will pan out so keeping Wood around is in their best interest.

:plus1:
I agree,they said that to Harrison as well the year before his new contract (they told him to play for 1.1 million that season and they would take care of him in his new contract) and the Steelers held to their word with Harrison, so I am sure they said the same thing to Woodley.

Thomas
07-18-2010, 10:06 PM
Maybe we will trade him for a fifth round draft pick!

steelers4life66
07-19-2010, 06:33 PM
He's going nowhere. After the CBA's in place they work a deal.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-01-2010, 12:31 PM
Woodley is being very professional about this for the most part; he's at camp doing his thing and greeting the fans and putting this behind him as much as he can. The Steelers have their reasons for handling this the way they are, and players don't always agree with it (hell I probably wouldn't either if I were in his shoes), but when you do well and perform the Steelers will reward you. Wood will get his deal, there is little if any doubt of that.

coldrolled
08-01-2010, 12:37 PM
Woodley is being very professional about this for the most part; he's at camp doing his thing and greeting the fans and putting this behind him as much as he can. The Steelers have their reasons for handling this the way they are, and players don't always agree with it (hell I probably wouldn't either if I were in his shoes), but when you do well and perform the Steelers will reward you. Wood will get his deal, there is little if any doubt of that.

they should give him a bonus this year... one sack and he gets 2 million.

that should hold him over.

BlackGold4vr
08-01-2010, 12:56 PM
I agree with those who think Woodley will get his deal. The Steeler FO has said as much. They have absolutely no intentions of letting one of the best OLB in the league slip out of their fingers. I'm sure that Lamar is hearing positive things from the management about being patient and he will be rewarded. I don't even think that he has hit his prime yet.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-02-2010, 02:05 PM
Wood just tweeted today that there will be no more contract talks before the season starts, right now he feels it's 50-50 if he'll be back next year.

This is him venting his frustration over wanting to get the money he deserves, I can't really fault him too much for that because we all know he will get his payday but that he wants it sooner rather than later. The Steelers will get the deal done, they know how valuable he is. The timing isn't always the best, but they will make this happen before he hits the market either by a new deal or the franchise tag.

The CBA is yet to be determined, and who knows how many tags a team will have at their disposal.

andyg1984
08-02-2010, 03:37 PM
don't mean to throw this out there, but ... does any1 think Woodley is on the juice??

75Steeler
08-02-2010, 03:54 PM
Yeah pay him his regular salary + $100,000 per sack. :yellowthumb:

MattyVfromCT
08-02-2010, 04:59 PM
He's going nowhere. After the CBA's in place they work a deal.

certainly hope so dude. if they were stupid enough to let him go i would break things. lots of things. that would **** me off more than any other player they let go whether it's woodson, lloyd, peezy, etc.

JensK
08-02-2010, 05:07 PM
Well, it's seen before that players just get so frustrated over their contract situations that they don't wish to be at a place anymore. I don't think so, and i most certainly do not hope so, but him being frustrated over this, could interfere with his play on the field. Would not be the first time. I really don't get why they don't sit down with him and tell him: "Hey look, we want you to be on this team for a long time, and we will give you a new contract as soon as possible, but with the current CBA, its not possible to give you a deal that'll work out great for both parts!" What they should have done is, they should have given him some kind of raise this year, as they have done with Johnson.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-02-2010, 09:38 PM
From KDKA...

Steelers LB LaMarr Woodley On Contract Talks

LATROBE (KDKA) ― http://llnw.image.cbslocal.com/20/2010/08/03/175x131/LaMarrWoodley.jpg Click to enlarge 1 of 1
LaMarr Woodley says he wants to be a Steeler next year, but the ball is in the team's court. KDKA

Close (http://www.steeleraddicts.com/forum/../ContentModules/Story/#) http://llnw.static.cbslocal.com/Themes/CBS/_resources/img/ico016x014close_modal.gif

numSlides of totalImages

Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker LaMarr Woodley is speaking about his future with the team.

A message posted on his Twitter page said: "Negotiations for contract extension is over 50/50 if I'm wearing black and gold next yr."

He talked about the tweet after practice Monday.

"I guess that means we're not going to do [a] deal this year," he said. "Maybe something will come at the end of the season."

KDKA's Bob Pompeani: "So you're okay with that?"

Woodley: "Ain't nothing I can do about it. Like I've been saying, ain't no use of getting mad over things you can't control. You know, all I can do is get out here and continue to play football, go out here and help this team win a championship."

Pompeani: "So that means next year, you go in and you could be free to do whatever you want to do, so what would be the odds of you coming back here?"

Woodley: "I don't know. I guess I have to leave that up to the Steelers. If they allow me to get into that situation, you know, pretty much the ball is in their court. You know, everything is on them."

Pompeani: "But you want to be back if all things are equal?"

Woodley: "Definitely, definitely, c'mon. I love playing for this team – defense, fans [are] good, tradition – I mean wherever I play football, I like to stay. I don't like to move around that much."

Pompeani: "But in any event you have a lot to play for. If you have a good year, your market value is going to skyrocket."

Woodley: "I plan on having a big year."