PDA

View Full Version : Flozell Adams visits Steelers...

Big T
06-29-2010, 03:49 PM
I dont know if it's already been discussed but here it is anyway. I really hope they get this done. He may be the dirtiest player in the league but he can ball...

Flozell Adams visits the Steelers
Posted by Michael David Smith on June 29, 2010 1:53 PM ET

The Pittsburgh Steelers are meeting with free agent tackle Flozell Adams today, moving quickly after losing Willie Colon to a torn Achilles tendon.

Adams was at the Steelers' practice facility today for a workout and a physical and could be the player the Steelers sign to replace Colon.

The 35-year-old Adams is a five-time Pro Bowler who started all 16 games for the Cowboys last season, but Dallas decided to release him in April rather than pay him a $2.5 million roster bonus and the $5 million salary he was scheduled to make.

Colon started all 16 games for the Steelers in 2009 but will miss all of 2010.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/06/29/flozell-adams-visits-the-steelers/

Zachintosh66
06-29-2010, 04:08 PM
While I agree that this is the most logical next step... Flozell Adams is NOT an improvement over Colon. He is 35, and gets penalized more than Colon does (which is a lot). Truth be told weather you like him or you dont Colon was our best OL, regardless if he is playing outta position or not. Flozell is another Starks... We better hope and pray Kemo is ok after last year and that Pouncey can start. Otherwise its going to be a long year again w/ Ben running for his life (b/c we all know BA will run his empty set crap). Also look for Dixon to get some playing time as Leftwich will get hurt b/c his *** cant even out run Casey Hampton.

BlitzburghRockCity
06-29-2010, 04:18 PM
If nothing else he would be veteran depth, which we all know we have very little of right now. It would be a very logical move and he's been around a long time so he knows the ins and outs of playing Tackle and can certainly help the young guys. If the price is right for a 1 yr deal I say bring him on in.

LatrobePA
06-29-2010, 05:03 PM
I like it....How many pro bowls has Colon seen?? ZIPPPPOOOOO

This is an instant upgrade even for an old fart!!

K Train
06-29-2010, 05:15 PM
hes strong as an ox and once he gets his hands on you its over, the switch to the right side should be easy for him especially since his problem with false starts on the left was mostly due to being deaf in his right ear. hes a player that gets fined more than actually penalized....just like hines ward

Black@Gold Forever32
06-29-2010, 05:19 PM
hes strong as an ox and once he gets his hands on you its over, the switch to the right side should be easy for him especially since his problem with false starts on the left was mostly due to being deaf in his right ear. hes a player that gets fined more than actually penalized....just like hines ward

The Steelers should bring a vet like Adams in.....The depth is terrible.....But don't you think Foster could play RT?.....I think he could......I thought Foster showed something last year....Nothing great but at least he could be a solid OL at the NFL level.....Of course Foster was playing mostly at OG last year but still he played OT in college.....

Jonathan Scott was brought as a FA but I don't think he is a starter for a full 16 game season.....Just a swing tackle that spot start a few games............

Of course Chris Scott still could be in the mix if his injury isn't to serious......I don't expect much from 5th rounders but you never know.......

cmerrifield
06-29-2010, 05:49 PM
While I agree that this is the most logical next step... Flozell Adams is NOT an improvement over Colon. He is 35, and gets penalized more than Colon does (which is a lot). Truth be told weather you like him or you dont Colon was our best OL, regardless if he is playing outta position or not. Flozell is another Starks... We better hope and pray Kemo is ok after last year and that Pouncey can start. Otherwise its going to be a long year again w/ Ben running for his life (b/c we all know BA will run his empty set crap). Also look for Dixon to get some playing time as Leftwich will get hurt b/c his *** cant even out run Casey Hampton.

Adams may not be an improvement over Colon, (not sure I agree, but who cares, Colon wont play) but he is over anyone else on the line who could play RT. I say bring him in and if Foster, J. Scott or anyone else beats him out for RT, then we have a vet backup as insurance who could play LT or RT. Its a win win. And with no cap, we could sign him to a 1 year 4 million deal. Not much more than we were paying for Colon this year.

Stlrs4Life
06-29-2010, 06:58 PM

He is now, by default. But the guy has been to the Pro Bowl 5 times. Has Colon been there at all? Find the most effective veteran out there. There's a good chance they'll be a better option than what we have right now.

Dobre Shunka
06-29-2010, 07:04 PM
Agree with all. "Get er done".

nuclearchihuahuas
06-29-2010, 08:41 PM
Agree with all. "Get er done".

:yellowthumb: :plus1: Put Flozell on the left and move starks to the right :imho:

K Train
06-29-2010, 10:26 PM
The Steelers should bring a vet like Adams in.....The depth is terrible.....But don't you think Foster could play RT?.....I think he could......I thought Foster showed something last year....Nothing great but at least he could be a solid OL at the NFL level.....Of course Foster was playing mostly at OG last year but still he played OT in college.....

Jonathan Scott was brought as a FA but I don't think he is a starter for a full 16 game season.....Just a swing tackle that spot start a few games............

Of course Chris Scott still could be in the mix if his injury isn't to serious......I don't expect much from 5th rounders but you never know.......
i think foster and colon are damn near the same player....doesnt mean we can get desperate and upgrade rather than take a chance on what could be a lateral shift. colon is one of our best linemen, but hes overrated

Black@Gold Forever32
06-29-2010, 11:54 PM
i think foster and colon are damn near the same player....doesnt mean we can get desperate and upgrade rather than take a chance on what could be a lateral shift. colon is one of our best linemen, but hes overrated

I'm all for the Steelers signing Adams....I just don't think losing Colon really hurts us.....I think Foster could fill Colon's spot no problem........Saying Colon is our best OL doesn't say much...lol

I hope Adams is signed but if not I'm not worried about the lost of Willie Colon.......

mos07
06-30-2010, 02:09 AM
Every year I go in with high expectations .....disappointment. Then the opposite is true - well this qualifies.

Lost a top notch WR, the franchise, and now Colon. Hopefully everything falls in place - Wallace steps up, Randel El is servicable, B Mac returns to form (anyone who watched that Indy playoff game knows he saved it after the Bettis fumble), the running game comes to be, Flozell or whoever fills in to gel the line, Farrior finds the fountain of youth, someone decides to cover a kickoff, and Troy and A Smith stay healthy.

Tomlin will have to earn his paycheck this year. Dick needs to prove he is a hall of famer, and Bruce...well the cards could not be stacked worse against you - best of luck.

mos07

K Train
06-30-2010, 09:36 AM
I'm all for the Steelers signing Adams....I just don't think losing Colon really hurts us.....I think Foster could fill Colon's spot no problem........Saying Colon is our best OL doesn't say much...lol

I hope Adams is signed but if not I'm not worried about the lost of Willie Colon.......

my bad i meant it doesnt mean we CANT get desperate, i said can...might have made it seem like i dont want flo cause i do

LatrobePA
06-30-2010, 09:48 AM
This line could use a little attitude and Adams can bring it!! I say sign his big ***!!

Danger DANJ
06-30-2010, 04:41 PM
If Adams passed the physical, just sign him already! No need to wait. He needs to get in and start working with the rest of the OL.

JensK
06-30-2010, 05:03 PM
He is demanding 4mil/year which the steelers most likely wont pay him.

andyg1984
06-30-2010, 06:23 PM
make it happen imo .. this would only be a year deal anyhow, right?

BlitzburghRockCity
06-30-2010, 08:06 PM
4 million a year is an *** ton of money, and the Cowboys knew he was on the downside and starting to get injured more so they cut him loose. Right now Adams is unemployed and training camp starts next month so his options are limited. Im quite sure if he still wants to play this year he'll realize nobody is going to pay him that much. Right now he's feeling out the Steelers to see how bad they want him and they'll go back and forth to see if a deal can be reached.

coldrolled
07-01-2010, 11:29 AM
4 million a year is an *** ton of money, and the Cowboys knew he was on the downside and starting to get injured more so they cut him loose. Right now Adams is unemployed and training camp starts next month so his options are limited. Im quite sure if he still wants to play this year he'll realize nobody is going to pay him that much. Right now he's feeling out the Steelers to see how bad they want him and they'll go back and forth to see if a deal can be reached.

we will get him all lined up and make a better deal with another OL player.... try to use flozell as a bargaining play to lower the runner ups asking price say logan mankins.

BlitzburghRockCity
07-01-2010, 11:36 AM
I read a tweet last night about an article written basically saying that all the talk so far has not generated any real deal proposals right now but nothing is ruled out either way.

Danger DANJ
07-01-2010, 02:54 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d818e8844/article/deal-between-steelers-ot-adams-isnt-imminent-despite-visit

That article, as well as a couple others I've read, seem to think that if Adams doesn't sign with the Steelers, Starks would move to right tackle and Essex would start at left tackle. If I remember correctly, Essex once filled in at left tackle for Marvel Smith, but I don't recall how he played. I can't imagine he would be better than Starks and would be an insane move.

LatrobePA
07-01-2010, 03:07 PM
This team is crazy for never drafting a true badass LT....Using what we have in house is a mistake IMO, bring Adams in!

K Train
07-01-2010, 03:19 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d818e8844/article/deal-between-steelers-ot-adams-isnt-imminent-despite-visit

That article, as well as a couple others I've read, seem to think that if Adams doesn't sign with the Steelers, Starks would move to right tackle and Essex would start at left tackle. If I remember correctly, Essex once filled in at left tackle for Marvel Smith, but I don't recall how he played. I can't imagine he would be better than Starks and would be an insane move.

he filled in for smith against the colts and didnt do terrible against freeney. the problem with essex is hes a 330 pound finesse player, which kind of makes him just a big dude. hes better suited at LT than he is at RG but thats not saying much

Dee Mca
07-01-2010, 03:56 PM
Offer him 2.5 with the chance of a Superbowl Ring and he'll sign. I still say we go 12-4

cmerrifield
07-01-2010, 04:08 PM

Keep in mind this is LaCanfora, who said Hampton would be traded before last season and that Roethlisberger was going to for sure be traded this offseason. He always says a "source close to the situation." I think its just him making crap up to get people to read stuff, and I think he is an idiot and I wish he would quite talking and writing about the NFL forever.

BlitzburghRockCity
07-01-2010, 04:24 PM
he filled in for smith against the colts and didnt do terrible against freeney. the problem with essex is hes a 330 pound finesse player, which kind of makes him just a big dude. hes better suited at LT than he is at RG but thats not saying much

Yeah I remember those games, he wasn't the worst thing in the world when he played LT for us but considering our situation right now he may be the only option unless they sign someone else.

HUNT4SEVEN
07-01-2010, 05:12 PM
Flozell wants 4 million...that's not gonna happen in Pittsburgh!http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/07/01/flozell-adams-is-looking-for-4-million/

nuclearchihuahuas
07-02-2010, 04:55 PM
Keep in mind this is LaCanfora, who said Hampton would be traded before last season and that Roethlisberger was going to for sure be traded this offseason. He always says a "source close to the situation." I think its just him making crap up to get people to read stuff, and I think he is an idiot and I wish he would quite talking and writing about the NFL forever.

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::plus1:

Real Deal Steel
07-03-2010, 02:14 AM
This team is crazy for never drafting a true badass LT....Using what we have in house is a mistake IMO, bring Adams in!

Exactly. They need to go out of character and pony up the money for Adams.

Dobre Shunka
07-05-2010, 04:38 AM
I don't know about that, 4 mil is a ton of money for a player with an AARP card in his pocket. With his prior history that would work out to about a 1/2 mil for each penalty he is sure to garner.