PDA

View Full Version : Steelers sign Thaddeus Gibson...

Big T
06-10-2010, 09:08 PM
Pittsburgh Steelers rookie outside linebacker Thaddeus Gibson has agreed to terms on a three-year deal, according to a league source with knowledge of the situation.

It's rare for a draft pick to receive a three-year contract nowadays with most teams preferring to negotiate four-year pacts.

Gibson was drafted in the fourth round.

Gibson primarily played defensive end at Ohio State, but the 6-foot-2, 243-pounder played linebacker in high school.

Last season, he was named second-team All-Big Ten Conference as he led the Buckeyes with 13 tackles for losses and ranked second on the team with four sacks.

He also forced two fumbles, recovered two fumbles and intercepted one pass.

The Steelers displayed a lot of interest in Gibson at his Pro Day workout where he ran the 40-yard dash in the low 4.6 range. Steelers vice president of football operations Kevin Colbert and defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau attended the workout.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Source-Thaddeus-Gibson-gets-threeyear-deal-with-Steelers.html

This makes me happy :yesnod:

DanRooney
06-10-2010, 09:58 PM
Signing him to a 3-year deal is actually pretty smart. He probably will see very little to no reps until his 3rd year, barring any injuries, where he'll probably be in rotation with Woodley on 3rd downs. After that 3rd year, if he shows he can master Dick LeBeau's playbook in 7 different languages and show at least a little bit of promise, his contract can be re-uped for another 3-4 years for very little money. :2cents:

K Train
06-10-2010, 10:09 PM
he will be better than worilds, right off the bat

Stlrs4Life
06-10-2010, 10:24 PM
He's better than Worlds? That's saying something there.

Dobre Shunka
06-10-2010, 10:53 PM
Yea, I don't know about him being better than Worilds, but anytime you can sign a rook early w/ his potential it's a good thing.

I think Worilds has to stay healthy and he'll be incredible too. I like both picks.

:2cents:

Real Deal Steel
06-10-2010, 11:22 PM
I see both of these guys paning out. I like the intangibles that they bring.

K Train
06-11-2010, 12:08 AM
hes a perfect fit for our defense...i think honestly he will put worilds to shame, not saying worilds will be terrible but gibson could not be a better fit. guys worilds size can struggle to convert, woodley is special for being like 270-280 and being as good as he is, 99% of the time they fail being big like that. worilds is pushin 260, for every one woodley you get 100 bruce davis's or even not that bad, just average though. gibson is BLAZING fast, did as many reps as suh at the combine at 80 pounds lighter body weight, hes so smooth in coverage. i seriously think he'll be great

Big T
06-11-2010, 04:01 AM
Doug E. Fresh signed a 3 year deal as well :greengrin:

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/playerbreakingnews.asp?sport=NFL&id=5998&line=174514&spln=1

coldrolled
06-11-2010, 10:13 AM
this is awesome, and he lived 5 miles from cleveland stadium... i hope he turns HOF..
his first sack will be on mccoy...

nuclearchihuahuas
06-11-2010, 02:02 PM
Yea, I don't know about him being better than Worilds, but anytime you can sign a rook early w/ his potential it's a good thing.

I think Worilds has to stay healthy and he'll be incredible too. I like both picks.

:2cents:

:plus1::plus1::plus1:

BlitzburghRockCity
06-11-2010, 02:45 PM
Nice to see some of the lower round picks getting signed. Our LB's are in need of some more young talent as guys like Farrior start to get on to the end of their career. Harrison is still in his prime considering he hardly played at all up until the last few years. I like Gibson, he could surprise a lot of people. He'll be mainly ST for sure but if injuries happen and he's forced onto the field he might just do pretty well.

K Train
06-11-2010, 02:50 PM
Hes probably as strong as harrison, but hes the athlete that timmons is. Our LBs could be so stacked in 2 years that its more like a volleyball rotation than a LB one. he has a much higher chance of success in our defense than worilds does, worilds could be a player but the type of player he is has a pretty high conversion fail rate, woodley being a good example of a success

andyg1984
06-11-2010, 09:51 PM
i wish we were the team in the AFC north that could put Terrence Cody next to a pro-bowler with our talented LB's back there flying around in a 2-5 defense :( ...

worlids over cody still blows my mind .. if we would have came away with cody in the 2nd and gibson in the 4th and selvie late i may have messed myself

K Train
06-12-2010, 12:21 AM
i wanted cody or tate over worilds hands down

andyg1984
06-12-2010, 09:06 AM
yep, worilds to me is OK, but he gets blown off the ball too often in the run game

Big T
06-13-2010, 06:46 AM
i wanted cody or tate over worilds hands down

this

you can add spikes to that list for me as well...

Dobre Shunka
06-13-2010, 09:02 PM
There is "zero" comparison between Worilds and Davis.

If any player fits the mold of a Steelers pass rusher, it's Worilds. My concern is w/ his shoulder, long term that is, but w/ his ability to get to the QB the risk/reward ratio is acceptable. Thing that really gets me about him is not only can he get there but he can get there through, around and INSIDE traffic. Impressive.

IMO, if you are looking for a comparison I would say he is more Porter in style than anyone else.

DanRooney
06-13-2010, 10:22 PM
Gonna be honest here. I didn't know **** about Worilds and was in shock that I didn't hear the name Golden Tate with our 2nd overall pick. But looking at his highlight videos you can see that he has a very good burst right off the snap. He has a very low stance similar to Harrison when we rushes and doesn't stop until the whistle is blown so you can see why going to be behind 92 on the right side.

Black@Gold Forever32
06-14-2010, 12:58 AM
I said when Worilds was drafted that I hope he is more Woodley then Zo Jackson........I would settle for Jason Gildon........

I agree with Ktrain about Gibson.....He is the perfect fit for our defense and he could be a huge steal since he drafted him in the 4th round.....I'm not ready to declare which is the player is the better one yet....I'm excited about both young LB's and think both Worilds and Gibson have tremendous upside.......Really I hope both develop and become huge players for this team.....

JensK
06-14-2010, 07:24 AM
Worild has the tools. He is extremely quick off the snap, and he creates a ton of pressure on the QB. He lacks the ability to actually get the sack, but thats coachable. He COULD potentially become a very good passrusher, but he could very well burst as well. Thats just how it is with that kind of player. Some players transforms well, others don't. I do believe Gibson is going to own tho.

K Train
06-14-2010, 09:14 AM
There is "zero" comparison between Worilds and Davis.

If any player fits the mold of a Steelers pass rusher, it's Worilds. My concern is w/ his shoulder, long term that is, but w/ his ability to get to the QB the risk/reward ratio is acceptable. Thing that really gets me about him is not only can he get there but he can get there through, around and INSIDE traffic. Impressive.

IMO, if you are looking for a comparison I would say he is more Porter in style than anyone else.

porter is the prototype conversion guy, we got him so late because no one wanted undersized DEs when there were 2 teams running a 34 defense. he is much more relentless and smooth than worilds . worilds is pretty similar to bruce davis in ability, size, and skill set. for every one woodley you get you get 10 bruce davis' or alonzo jacksons. woodley is a freak in that he was a successful conversion guy at his size. gibson is much more built for our defense than worilds, im not saying hes gonna be a failure but i have my doubts about him especially since he doesnt have the power than woodley and harrison have, thats what makes those 2 unblockable because they are so strong

greg1964
06-14-2010, 01:18 PM
Glad he signed, but parring injury to Harrison, Woodley, Timmons, Woilds he will not see the field this year on defense.

K Train
06-14-2010, 01:26 PM
why does worilds automatically get the nod over gibson? because he was picked 2 rounds higher? if that was the case harrison would have never seen the field, sweed would have kept wallace on the bench and willie colon would have never gotten a chance with essex and tony hills both ahead of him in the draft order.

right now antonio brown is far more impressive than 3rd round pick emmanuel sanders and above him on the depth chart. at the very least gibson will get every opportunity to become a special teams phenom (he will be from day one imo) and be given the chance to win the primary backup job to one of the OLBs (probably harrison) especially since his usual backup arnold harrison was a 2nd round pick in the UFL draft this year

JensK
06-14-2010, 03:01 PM
I do not think that anyone gives Worilds the not over Gibson. I just believe that many people see Worilds as a good passrusher who COULD develop into a very good OLB. That does not mean he will, but he has the potential. Gibson does as well! I love Gibson, and i too think he'll be better than Worilds, but i do think Worilds will do some damage, if he gets coached right, and has the right mindset. They cant really be compared anyways, because they'll be two different kind of LBs. Another thing is, that so far we have heard nothing about Gibson since he has had to finish college first, so its hard to get excited about a guy who havnt trained one single time yet.

Dobre Shunka
06-14-2010, 08:49 PM
porter is the prototype conversion guy, we got him so late because no one wanted undersized DEs when there were 2 teams running a 34 defense. he is much more relentless and smooth than worilds . worilds is pretty similar to bruce davis in ability, size, and skill set. for every one woodley you get you get 10 bruce davis' or alonzo jacksons. woodley is a freak in that he was a successful conversion guy at his size. gibson is much more built for our defense than worilds, im not saying hes gonna be a failure but i have my doubts about him especially since he doesnt have the power than woodley and harrison have, thats what makes those 2 unblockable because they are so strong

Sorry, disagree. Worilds is relentless, that is why I compared him to porter in the 1st place, he just doesn't stop as evidenced by the Nebraska game where he gave them fits all frick'n day long. He also has the moves, beyond that of just a pocket passer/bull rusher. That spin he does to get the edge is freaky and his hand moves are impressive from what I've seen.
Worilds and davis are not comparable in stats, ability, physicality or even actual play.
Worilds is stronger, faster, and bigger than Davis and has a ton more in his arsenal and a lot more talent. Whad he do @ the bine in bench, 25 or so, to Davis's 14 or something?

I dig all our LB picks this time (didn't care for the Davis pick then), and am glad the Steelers grabbed Worilds when they did. If this kid would have stuck it out another year he would be up there next draft.

All IMO of course, and as alway we shall see, but I look for the kid to amp the STs this year right off the bat and we need at least that much.

BTW, like everyone else here, really like the Gibson pick too. Great pick!

K Train
06-14-2010, 10:03 PM
i just walk away unimpressed with worilds, the potential is there but hes just unspectacular in all regards. i think he might have a steady, solid career as a pass rusher but hes not gonna ever dazzle you with numbers. even at VT he wasnt really good at closing the deal on a sack, he was always a guy that almost got there and hes pretty weak against the run. hes got some work to do, so does gibson but gibson has a higher ceiling in the steelers scheme imo.

and his workout numbers are led off by his timed speed...but the hokies have the fastest track in the nation. if you looked up fast track in the dictionary youd see a hokie, he timed much faster than he plays

Dobre Shunka
06-16-2010, 12:08 AM
That's cool, I would rather watch my ladies BBC televised women's special than come on here and agree with everything everyone says. Both, would bore the cr@p out of me.

Understand where you're coming from on the Hokie track, but fast is fast and a LB running mid 4s @ 255, is fast.

What, he started all of 2 yrs and put up 30 TFLs, 13 or so in the sack dept, and an unGodly amount of assist?

In the end though, know one really knows until they play so I guess we'll see.

JensK
06-16-2010, 04:54 AM
As stated already, what im seeing from Worilds is a really really fast explosion off the snap, and he certainly knows how to get after the QB. He is not a sack machine, but he'll most likely be able to bring a ton of pressure. Hopefully he'll learn how to wrap it up when playing behind both Woodley and Harrison, two of the best sack artists in the game. Again, he has all the tools to become a really good OLB, he just has to use them! He is just not as complete a prospect as Gibson out of college for out kind of defense. Gibson is used to do pretty much everything we are going to ask him to do, and he sure knows how to get the QB down. He is also better against the run than Worilds. All those things are luckily for Worilds coachable.

Dobre Shunka
06-16-2010, 06:50 AM
Worilds is disruptive. When he's in Qbs hate him.
As a former captain of Beamer STs I look for him to make an impact on our STs, like right out of the gate, and we need that help there now.

I do agree that Gibson is coming from a book that will fit in a lot faster, and DL is going to find good things for him to do.

We can never have too many LBs, ever. Particularly, good ones.:2cents:

JensK
06-16-2010, 08:45 AM
Worilds is disruptive. When he's in Qbs hate him.
As a former captain of Beamer STs I look for him to make an impact on our STs, like right out of the gate, and we need that help there now.

I do agree that Gibson is coming from a book that will fit in a lot faster, and DL is going to find good things for him to do.

We can never have too many LBs, ever. Particularly, good ones.:2cents:

Aye! :) I have a feeling Sylvester is going to be a good one as well. I like the way he plays. He seems to be around the ball all the time, and he is a mad tackler.

K Train
06-16-2010, 09:11 AM
sylvester is too light, hes gonna be mike humpal 2

trust me, im not upset that we have worilds....youd all know if i was (evander hood) but i really do think gibson is the superior OLB prospect. if worilds blows him away, great, but i think gibson will get the nod for playign time over worilds to start out their careers, we'll see after camp but i think he'll have a more of an immediate impact

scudmissile29
06-16-2010, 09:32 AM
your obviously stupid if you think gibson is better.

worilds is a second round pick, he's expected to to start.... gibson was overhyped, i like the dude but he aint the second coming of woodley, even at a much bigger school worilds outplayed him in this past season.

... also mike tomlin was speaking of high praise of worilds theres nothing on gibson yet that i have heard off.

and like you know inside information if brown is better than sanders, who do you think you are, let me give u a reminder, the seasons starts in a couple of months.

K Train
06-16-2010, 10:33 AM
your obviously stupid if you think gibson is better.

worilds is a second round pick, he's expected to to start.... gibson was overhyped, i like the dude but he aint the second coming of woodley, even at a much bigger school worilds outplayed him in this past season.

... also mike tomlin was speaking of high praise of worilds theres nothing on gibson yet that i have heard off.

and like you know inside information if brown is better than sanders, who do you think you are, let me give u a reminder, the seasons starts in a couple of months.
gibson isnt even allowed to practice, hes not done with school yet so like holmes did his rookie year, hes missed all the OTAs, so obviously theres no reports. gibsons lack of production was a mean rotation at ohio state last year, and he played everywhere. dline, MLB, OLB. gibson was far from overhyped, he was more of a sleeper....every single hokie defensive player in my lifetime has been overhyped, im sorry your a VT fan, its nothing against them but that fast track has every defender looking like the second coming.

second round pick dont mean ****, ricardo coclough was a second round pick and never started, sweed has never started....gibson is way more adept to come in and make a difference in the defense, worilds is a conversion guy...gibson is already converted being he played the position in HS and at OSU

antonio brown is above sanders on the current depth chart, i think sanders will be nice, but brown has been more impressive since OTAs started.

dont be butt hurt cause you got a timeout, im always right...get used to it

scudmissile29
06-16-2010, 10:46 AM
im not *** hurt....

when your a second round draft pick, your suppose to be the future starter, i wouldnt mind seeing gibson come into start.... since most good players arn't even from rounds 1 and 2...

the hype............

1. michael vick was decent for atlanta, he NEVER had a good o-line yet he took them to the championship game.

2. brandon flowers is pretty decent.

3. bruce smith -- had most qb sacks ever so shut up, he exceeded hype with 200 sacks, woodley will never get that many.

4. eddie royal is doing nicely in denver

5. deangelo hall had some good years but yes i agree he is overhyped

6. macho harris the verdict is out on him, i think he will be a decent safety for the eagles. but with nate allen coming in he could be moved to corner

so lets talk bruce smith, how was he overhyped, because he didnt win a super bowl? hmmm greg lloyd didnt either.

worilds also rotated a few spots and good double coverage.

why was he drafted 2nd round and gibson 4th round. it's clear Worilds had a better college career and lived up to his expectations, if he had another year in college he could of been a late first rounder.

im happy he's a steeler and he can destroy flacco for years to come. :cope::cope::cope:

K Train
06-16-2010, 11:00 AM
im not *** hurt....

when your a second round draft pick, your suppose to be the future starter, i wouldnt mind seeing gibson come into start.... since most good players arn't even from rounds 1 and 2...

the hype............

1. michael vick was decent for atlanta, he NEVER had a good o-line yet he took them to the championship game.

2. brandon flowers is pretty decent.

3. bruce smith -- had most qb sacks ever so shut up, he exceeded hype with 200 sacks, woodley will never get that many.

4. eddie royal is doing nicely in denver

5. deangelo hall had some good years but yes i agree he is overhyped

6. macho harris the verdict is out on him, i think he will be a decent safety for the eagles.

so lets talk bruce smith, how was he overhyped, because he didnt win a super bowl? hmmm greg lloyd didnt either.

worilds also rotated a few spots and good double coverage.

why was he drafted 2nd round and gibson 4th round. it's clear Worilds had a better college career and lived up to his expectations, if he had another year in college he could of been a late first rounder.

im happy he's a steeler and he can destroy flacco for years to come. :cope::cope::cope:
neither of us were alive when bruce smith was drafted...completely different time for VT.

eddie royal has been trash after an amazing rookie year

im saying as far as a speed perspective they all get overhyped because they do have the fastest track in the world, worilds ran a 4.51 there, hes probably around a 4.7 when it matters which by all means is good but the numbers are inflated.

i dont think worilds is the second coming of woodley just as you dont think gibson is the second coming of woodley. the difference is that worilds is kind of like woodley in size and ability, and those kinds of players or more likely to fail as conversion guys. i think worilds will be fine, hes a good player and hes a smart guy. gibson is nothing like woodley other than the position he plays, hes as good of an athlete as timmons in that he can most definitely run stride for stride with RBs and WRs, hes on the smaller side like harrison but hes a tank when it comes to upper body strength just like harrison. Woodley is huge, pushin 275, hes not overly fast but unblockably strong, hes stiff in coverage but for some reason hes incredibly successful...hes successful for the same reasons most guys like him fail in the DE-OLB conversion. i hope one day we can compare worilds to woodley, and im honestly trying to think about a player comparible to gibson but i cant, but woodley certainly isnt the right one since gibson is -30 pound and soooo much faster and smoother

i kind of think youve never seen gibson play, or maybe just never watched him....if you did watch him you would understand that he was a force on the field and you would understand why the raw numbers dont back that up. worilds "outplayed" him during his tenure at VT because he was a pass rusher 90% of the time, college resumes dont tell the whole story...theres too many examples of that for me to start listing them, im glad he fell cause of his lack of numbers...he was a legit second round talent though, if anyone took him in the second, not many would question it