PDA

View Full Version : Mike Wallace on the radar

harpo
06-04-2010, 09:43 AM
On the radar: Mike Wallace
By James Walker

Last offseason, a surprise rookie from Ole Miss flashed tremendous speed and reliable hands during Pittsburgh Steelers' practice.

Mike Wallace had 39 catches for 756 yards and six touchdowns during his rookie season.Several months later, third-round pick Mike Wallace introduced himself to the rest of the NFL with a standout season, recording 39 receptions for 756 yards and six touchdowns.

This year, Wallace has been arguably the best receiver for the Steelers during practices with Hines Ward coaching from the sidelines. Wallace routinely makes plays now that he's getting more opportunities with the first-team offense. With Santonio Holmes traded to the New York Jets, it will be important for Pittsburgh's second-year standout to make the jump from a backup receiver to a starter.

Wallace owes a lot of his quick development to Ward, who remains in his ear during practices. Like Plaxico Burress and Holmes in the past, Ward knows how important it is to have two productive receivers in Pittsburgh’s offense.

"Anything I do, he's watching," Wallace said of Ward this week. "So it's kind of hard to be perfect with Hines out here."

Read the rest of the article here:

On the radar: Mike Wallace (http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/13547/on-the-radar-mike-wallace)

----------------------------------------------------------

I think this kid is going to have a breakout year. I've said since they drafted him that he was probably the steal (steel) of the 2009 draft. :tt02:

BlitzburghRockCity
06-04-2010, 10:08 AM
Wallace, so far at least, seems to be one of the guys that's breaking the norm for new WR's. Normally they take about 3 years to really become a consistent threat for the offense but Wallace came on like gang busters last year and so far this offseason he's doing great. With Ward nursing his ever problematic hamstrings right now, Mike is getting a lot of good work in. I'm excited to see this kid play in 2010!

K Train
06-04-2010, 11:31 AM
amazing how someone can be even bigger and faster than nate washington and just come in and put his entire career (which was pretty solid for an UDFA from tiffin) to shame right off the bat

scudmissile29
06-04-2010, 12:30 PM
mike is going to be something special.

hopefully sanders as well

igor0190
06-04-2010, 01:32 PM
amazing how someone can be even bigger and faster than nate washington and just come in and put his entire career (which was pretty solid for an UDFA from tiffin) to shame right off the bat

It really is amazing. That he was able to be so productive with somewhat limited opportunities. This year will be a huge test though because he will draw the other teams #1 cover corner.

K Train
06-04-2010, 02:17 PM
FYI antonio brown has been catching everything and has a little swag to him, hes currently above sanders on the depth chart

Mike Tomlin
06-04-2010, 03:46 PM
Antonio Brown will be a surprise for many people too. I saw some clips of him in highschool when he played receiver, returner and corner. He was a pretty good corner too. This guy attacks the ball offense or defense

scudmissile29
06-04-2010, 04:00 PM
FYI antonio brown has been catching everything and has a little swag to him, hes currently above sanders on the depth chart

Antonio Brown steals the show at Pittsburgh Steelers' OTAs
By Hugh Bernreuter | The Saginaw News
May 29, 2010, 8:08PM
Former Central Michigan receiver Antonio Brown was only a sixth-round pick by the Pittsburgh Steelers, but he's making a good impression in OTAs, even getting a "shout-out" from backup quarterback Dennis Dixon.

nfldraftbible.com: An unexpected name stole the show during OTA’s in Pittsburgh. Former Central Michigan wide receiver Antonio Brown received quite a bit of attention from the media on hand and by other Pittsburgh Steelers as well, such as quarterback Dennis Dixon, who gave a shout out of props after a long touchdown grab tossed his way by Byron Leftwich. Brown is catching on, “I’m getting better everyday and push myself to the limit everyday,” which is evident by the strides he’s making on the field.

nice im liking what we have in brown and emmanuel

Gettysburgh_Steel
06-04-2010, 09:57 PM
Where wallace is concerned , hey man , what can ya say ? Sometimes our front office does get it right . He seems like a young man with some fire . He has one season under his belt , now he is hungry . Ain't a bad thing . Hope he takes it to the next level this year . Defenses will have to become accountable for his a$$ . That my friends will be a good thing . Plus he is FAST ! ! !

Real Deal Steel
06-06-2010, 04:16 AM
Potentially, this could be our best WR corps in years. We've never had a bunch of guys with so much promise at one time in a while. When we took Sanders, I really felt good about him and thought he could surprise.

75Steeler
06-06-2010, 12:03 PM
I think this article speaks really soild for Hines's character as a leader on this team and what the future may hold for him. I also think we have a really good opportunity to develop Wallace into one of the better wide outs in the league.

roosterray
06-06-2010, 12:52 PM
Wallace will may go through some growing pains this year, however; there is a reason Management was able to ship Holmes out of town. He's developing faster than Holmes did his rookie year. I would say the stats are comparable, and wasn't Holmes the Starting WR vs. the slot WR?

Holmes
49 824 16.8 2 TDs
Wallace
39 756 19.4 6 TDs