PDA

View Full Version : Anywhere but Pittsburgh, Willie?

DanRooney
06-03-2010, 12:37 AM
Willie Parker off to slow start with Redskins

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on June 2, 2010 11:07 PM ET
The Redskins want Brian Westbrook, which makes us wonder what running back on the roster they don't want.

Clinton Portis is the starter going into training camp and the Redskins guaranteed almost all of his 2010 salary. He's unlikely to go anywhere. That leaves Larry Johnson and Willie Parker. Based on a few admittedly way-too-early reviews, Parker may be in more trouble.

"To a few observers at minicamp it looked like Willie Parker did not have much burst in his game," Rich Tandler of Comcast Sports Net Washington observed.

We think Parker faces the longest odds of the three veterans to make the team because he's not a natural fit on passing downs or in short yardage situations. Without that burst, he could slip straight out of the league.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/06/02/willie-parker-off-to-slow-start-with-redskins/

__________________________________________________ _____________

:clap:

Black@Gold Forever32
06-03-2010, 01:07 AM
Yea most of us knew Willie was finished.....Still the Parker has his moment in the sun with us and made a huge run in Super Bowl XL to help win that game.......I will always be a fan of Willie for that reason.......He didn't do much in the Super Bowl XLIII win but he did have a huge game against the Chargers in the play-offs that year......

So he what he stated anywhere but Pittsburgh........I don't blame him for wanting to be a starter elsewhere....

coldrolled
06-03-2010, 09:37 AM
what number is Dwyer i need a new jersey.

JensK
06-03-2010, 09:51 AM
So far they are actually saying the Redman and Dwyer is pretty much side by side right now. Hopefully that changes come July.

K Train
06-03-2010, 10:01 AM
no way, dwyer has been beyond impressive. decisive, fast, powerful....he was a legit 1st/2nd round prospect and may end up being the steal of the draft due to weight concern and a failed drug test for adderall which i could take like candy. and he looks very lean for a runner of his size, he will without a doubt blow redman right off the rsoter

JensK
06-03-2010, 10:14 AM
no way, dwyer has been beyond impressive. decisive, fast, powerful....he was a legit 1st/2nd round prospect and may end up being the steal of the draft due to weight concern and a failed drug test for adderall which i could take like candy. and he looks very lean for a runner of his size, he will without a doubt blow redman right off the rsoter

Oh i most certainly agree - just saying that right now they are running both equally

SteelerSal
06-03-2010, 10:14 AM
So far they are actually saying the Redman and Dwyer is pretty much side by side right now. Hopefully that changes come July.

Kinda hard to get excited about either one of these guys, or the rest of the young guys so far, without pads on and contact. We shall see the real deal is in July.

As for Willie, I hope something works out for him whether it's with the Skins or another team. He wasn't my favorite choice of back for us but he contributed and had alot of heart when we did not have any other options.

K Train
06-03-2010, 10:41 AM
thats easy to say, but ive see alot of dwyer and the man is a beast, i had him mocked to us in the 3rd round, getting him in the 6th is amazing. for being such a big back he runs low while alot of the bigger guys run upright. he played in a gimmicky *** running game but he has alot of experience running the ball and played in the same system tashard choice played in. im saying if he keeps his weight in check which it seems like he is so far he will be one of those guys that plays out his rookie deal and leaves to go start somewhere for big dollars ala michael turner and tons of other names

as for willie, he was a solid option for us when we didnt have much but he was best when we had a borderline elite oline...he just cant cut it with misfits blokcing for him and his body couldnt hold up very long despite not having alot of miles on him to begin with and having a pretty solid build and elite speed. of he cant make it in shanahans system he cant make it anywhere, 4 years ago he would have been a 2000 yard rusher in that system

SteelerSal
06-03-2010, 11:02 AM
as for willie, he was a solid option for us when we didnt have much but he was best when we had a borderline elite oline...he just cant cut it with misfits blokcing for him and his body couldnt hold up very long despite not having alot of miles on him to begin with and having a pretty solid build and elite speed. of he cant make it in shanahans system he cant make it anywhere, 4 years ago he would have been a 2000 yard rusher in that system

Hard to cut it in the NFL just relying on straight ahead speed alone....Willie lacked any kind of "make you miss" moves or read where the hole is and go. His running style will not work in Shannahan's zone blocking style offenses. IMO

K Train
06-03-2010, 11:08 AM
Hard to cut it in the NFL just relying on straight ahead speed alone....Willie lacked any kind of "make you miss" moves or read where the hole is and go. His running style will not work in Shannahan's zone blocking style offenses. IMO

in willies prime he would CRUSH in that system, its his perfect fit. every play designed to take one cut and get 4 yards with the oline and after that you are on you own to do what you can. he would have been amazing there because he lacks the elite, or even good vision but with his speed and one cut ability he would have stats off the charts there. if mike anderson and tatum bell and each get 1000 yards in that scheme, willie would have been dominate

coldrolled
06-03-2010, 11:27 AM
i heard both these comments on nfl.com about and from arians.

first was.. mendenhall saying he wasnt really seeing the running game commitment...

then they said the FO likes Dixon, but that coach arians really wants leftwich in as a veteran QB.

imo arians likes leftwich because he is immobile and he doesnt have to create a new play book dixon is to much work for arians. and the same for his running commitment... i know i hate the guy, but geez do i really read the wrong stuff into this guy.... or is he a stubborn idiot.

this running game battle will be a classic this year.. redman, summers... ... mendenhall also said he doesnt like to run behind the TE's as blockers as he would FB's.. he says the te's are to tight in the line up and they dont see what a true fullback sees from his position going thru the tackles... but i guess mendenhall is a rookie so who cares what he says... arians knows best, screw the FB position..

K Train
06-03-2010, 11:33 AM
i hope taylor makes the roster as a FB, reports are that the coaches are really frustrated with davis johnson which is a shame i thought he played really well last year. just ****ing shoot me if summers is the FB or on the team in general next season

SteelerSal
06-03-2010, 12:02 PM
I think David Johnson would excel better as the blocking TE (instead of Spaeth) on running plays.....I also thought he played well last season.
As long as McHugh is on the roster....I think Arians will be to stubborn to play a true FB.

Be nice to see Taylor pan out. FB mentallity in an undersized o-linemans body.

BlitzburghRockCity
06-03-2010, 12:10 PM
Yea most of us knew Willie was finished.....Still the Parker has his moment in the sun with us and made a huge run in Super Bowl XL to help win that game.......I will always be a fan of Willie for that reason.......He didn't do much in the Super Bowl XLIII win but he did have a huge game against the Chargers in the play-offs that year......

So he what he stated anywhere but Pittsburgh........I don't blame him for wanting to be a starter elsewhere....

Yeah I agree, Parker did a lot for us in the SB XL win and when he was here with Jerome they were a great duo that helped us finally get that 1 for the Thumb. Any player worth his weight wants to be a starter so you certainly can't blame him for wanting to get as much field time as he can before he career is over. I was a big Parker while he was here but when he started getting hurt the last couple years and missing so much time, and then Mendenhall coming on like we hoped, the writing was on the wall for him.

K Train
06-03-2010, 12:50 PM
smith, faneca, hartings, simmons, starks was a beast oline....a misfit like willie could only find success running behind a group of sensational run blockers like that. notice how when the 3 best guys left and the willie parker we knew that had a record amount of steeler TDs in one season also left

JensK
06-03-2010, 01:08 PM
i hope taylor makes the roster as a FB, reports are that the coaches are really frustrated with davis johnson which is a shame i thought he played really well last year. just ****ing shoot me if summers is the FB or on the team in general next season

Words out of OTA is they are working pretty hard on Summers as a FB... To make up for that tho, Mendenhall should look stronger and a lot faster than last year. He should be running pretty damn good so far.

K Train
06-03-2010, 01:52 PM
summers is the worst player on the roster, he has no future in the NFL. theres at least 52 players id rather line up at FB.

i could name every other player on the roster, at least they would be able to get a hand on someone and not slam their face into the ground as soon as the ball is snapped

JensK
06-03-2010, 01:58 PM
http://vimeo.com/6205690 should probably amuse you

K Train
06-03-2010, 02:02 PM
i cant see it at work but if its the frank summers video i cant watch it, ive seen it...its painful

Dobre Shunka
06-03-2010, 03:56 PM
Willie - Put a fork in him. He was great for us, don't get me wrong but time marches on.

Dwyer - I agree he's a beast & should be the steal of this draft, but mere speculation until he proves it.

Summers - Must admit I'm skeptical of the Tank but he's worth a shot. Have yet to see anything worth while from him. This is his make or break year and by that I mean in the NFL, not just w/ the Steelers. Odds are against him but ya never know. Odds were against Willie too @ one time.

Redman - All sorry, "Redzone Redman" to some of you. I have yet to see anything NFL caliber from this guy. He did have some runs for TDs early last year, that apparently garnered him the aforementioned nickname with the beloved, but that was against players that will never see the field in a real game.

Mendy should be great, hope he's working on ball security and Dwyer should be the backup.

The rest will fight it out for the honour of being severely beaten while still gaining the 1 or 2 yrds they were sent in to get, and they'll be thankful for that role.

Stlrs4Life
06-04-2010, 02:19 PM

I can agree but, they haven't been putting pads on yet, and there hasn't been any hitting yet. Let's wait and see.

Blazedby92
06-04-2010, 05:44 PM
Redman - All sorry, "Redzone Redman" to some of you. I have yet to see anything NFL caliber from this guy. He did have some runs for TDs early last year, that apparently garnered him the aforementioned nickname with the beloved, but that was against players that will never see the field in a real game.

Interesting you said he was playing against players that will never see the field in a real game because our first string is like that but to make my point he was playing with our second string oline and that's even worse and to make my point even stronger he scored on our first string goalline D when he scored atleast 3 times :grin1::nahnah:

Dobre Shunka
06-05-2010, 01:09 AM
Interesting you said he was playing against players that will never see the field in a real game because our first string is like that but to make my point he was playing with our second string oline and that's even worse and to make my point even stronger he scored on our first string goalline D when he scored atleast 3 times :grin1::nahnah:

You're no lawyer, & that's a good thing.

There is a huge difference between practice, with your OWN TEAM and a real game!:hilarious:

Holy Sh*t!:moon:

scudmissile29
06-05-2010, 06:32 AM
i bet when parker lined up in the pre season if he ever did all those years ago as a third of fourth string..... yet we would say he would never make the field.

coldrolled
06-05-2010, 11:22 AM
i bet when parker lined up in the pre season if he ever did all those years ago as a third of fourth string..... yet we would say he would never make the field.

It all comes down to coaching the running game... we are at an F level still.

one more year and we will get an upgrade to the OC coaching problem...

IMO any offensive player we release that was drafted during the BA era. could end up being a mistake...

so coach them up BA... Redman, Summers, Dwyer, Urbik, Johnson, Grisham, Sweed, etc.... who has BA drafted and coached into a star.. Wallace... well, you cant coach speed. anyone else?

Dobre Shunka
06-05-2010, 10:00 PM
Parker also had a lot more going for him right from the get go. He had elite speed, making him one of the speedsters of the Steelers and the league.

Hey, by all means Redman deserves a shot like any other potential and I hope he can come through and help us w/ goal line situational plays. The odds are not good but who knows.

We'll see.

DanRooney
06-06-2010, 07:24 PM
Let Redman play FB and get Frank Summers off the team. This **** is embarrassing:

http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/8950/steelers0809ajpg500x400.jpg (http://img101.imageshack.us/i/steelers0809ajpg500x400.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

scudmissile29
06-06-2010, 07:39 PM
It all comes down to coaching the running game... we are at an F level still.

one more year and we will get an upgrade to the OC coaching problem...

IMO any offensive player we release that was drafted during the BA era. could end up being a mistake...

so coach them up BA... Redman, Summers, Dwyer, Urbik, Johnson, Grisham, Sweed, etc.... who has BA drafted and coached into a star.. Wallace... well, you cant coach speed. anyone else?

bruce arians is a fag what a dick.

has there been a more hated co-ordinator in our organisation?