PDA

View Full Version : Roethlisberger cleared by NFL to return to Steelers

SteelJunkie
05-27-2010, 07:59 PM
NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell has advised Ben Roethlisberger and the Pittsburgh Steelers that the quarterback is cleared to return to team activities next week, league spokesman Greg Aiello announced Thursday.

The Steelers are scheduled to hold voluntary organized team activities next Tuesday through Thursday.

Goodell's decision is based on the reports and recommendations of medical experts who have worked with Roethlisberger, according to Aiello. Goodell hasn't made a decision regarding any amendment to Roethlisberger's six-game suspension.

The commissioner will review Roethlisberger's progress before the regular season as the quarterback attempts to repair his image and reputation following sexual-assault allegations. Goodell could reduce the suspension to four games, but Aiello said failure to cooperate and follow the commissioner's plan could result in a longer ban for Roethlisberger.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8185bc89&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true
finally :)

JensK
05-27-2010, 07:59 PM
Goodell clears Roethlisberger to return to Steelers next week

NFL.com

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell has advised Ben Roethlisberger and the Pittsburgh Steelers that the quarterback is cleared to return to team activities next week, league spokesman Greg Aiello announced Thursday.

The Steelers are scheduled to hold voluntary organized team activities next Tuesday through Thursday.

Goodell's decision is based on the reports and recommendations of medical experts who have worked with Roethlisberger, according to Aiello. Goodell hasn't made a decision regarding any amendment to Roethlisberger's six-game suspension.

The commissioner will review Roethlisberger's progress before the regular season as the quarterback attempts to repair his image and reputation following sexual-assault allegations. Goodell could reduce the suspension to four games, but Aiello said failure to cooperate and follow the commissioner's plan could result in a longer ban for Roethlisberger.

BlitzburghRockCity
05-27-2010, 08:17 PM
This is GREAT news, finally Ben can get back to the team and start participating with the young players to get ready for the season. I have no doubt he'll stay within the guidelines the league set for him so he can get that suspension reduced to 4 games and get back on the field.

andyg1984
05-27-2010, 08:18 PM
sweet

Gettysburgh_Steel
05-27-2010, 08:22 PM
Well if he shows something in the way he has grown , then i will give a crap ! Until then , who really cares . Proof must be shown before i converse on the Ben Bandwagon !
Crippled our image . He has a lot to prove . He needs to take his job and position a little more seriously . Only he has the keys to the car now !

nuclearchihuahuas
05-27-2010, 08:55 PM
Well if he shows something in the way he has grown , then i will give a crap ! Until then , who really cares . Proof must be shown before i converse on the Ben Bandwagon !
Crippled our image . He has a lot to prove . He needs to take his job and position a little more seriously . Only he has the keys to the car now !

Yes, he tarnished our image...he seriously smeared his own image...but the Steeler nation needs to give him the chance to rejoin the family and redeem himself by hard work and a display of attitude adjustment without wagging our fingers in his face and spouting venom if for no other reason then to respect the wishes of the Rooneys. They have proven that they do Have A Clue over and over again.

zulater
05-27-2010, 09:41 PM
Good news indeed. The onlything better is when it's announced his suspension has been reduced to 4 games and then when he's back on the field. :yellowthumb:

75Steeler
05-27-2010, 09:55 PM
Yes...the ball is in Ben's court now. He has control over his actions and whether he can win some respect of his fans, teammates, coaches and family. I wish him the best and hope he turns the corner with all of this. He has to want to be a better person before this happens though.

LatrobePA
05-27-2010, 10:23 PM
Ben will play all season with a huge chip on his shoulder, which is a good thing IMO!

Zachintosh66
05-27-2010, 10:24 PM
So once the season starts he wont be allowed around again?

Gettysburgh_Steel
05-27-2010, 10:42 PM
"Yes, he tarnished our image...he seriously smeared his own image...but the Steeler nation needs to give him the chance to rejoin the family and redeem himself by hard work and a display of attitude adjustment without wagging our fingers in his face and spouting venom if for no other reason then to respect the wishes of the Rooneys. They have proven that they do Have A Clue over and over again. "

Well i said crippled , but it kind of goes to the same place . The keys are in his hands , and he can go where he wishes , but he has to prove it . He hurt himself , he hurt the team , he probably hurt his family , and now he has got to do all of the right things . I will tell you right now that 5 out of 7 Steelers fans i have talked to , would not really care if he was gone forever . I don't hate the man , but he does not know how to conduct himself in a public setting . Argue that ? He was the whole package , turned partial package . He has to live with the repercussions of his actions . I want to see how he handles it , not some Tom , Dick , or Harry tryin to make my mind up for me thankyou ! He has some work to do , bottom line . The proof will be in the pudding if you will . Until i see something otherwise , i will stand pat. This is about the Steelers , got it ?
Not the Rooneys , not the fans , and most certainly , not Ben . The Steelers as a Team . Thats what its about . We can afford to lose some one who thinks that they are better than the whole team , and that is what it comes down to . Ben has the keys , case closed ! You think for one minute he throws a come from behind touchdown to win the game , and all will be forgiven ? Think again my friend . Some mighty serious work is ahead of Ben ! Even Tomlin took over his charity team , cause they did not even want him . Does that tell you something?

jnes1216
05-27-2010, 11:01 PM

Correct, not allowed to be in the Steelers facilities, practices, or activities, anything until either his 4 or 6 game suspension is over.

75Steeler
05-27-2010, 11:48 PM
:crossfingers: & :pray: that it gets cut to a 4 game suspension.

Zachintosh66
05-28-2010, 01:00 AM
What about training camp?

If u were Tomlin, How many reps do you give him?

DanRooney
05-28-2010, 01:40 AM
Good to hear his rehab went rather smoothly

jnes1216
05-28-2010, 01:40 AM
I would have him take reps as the 3rd string. Why take practice away from your starter, since Tomlin has one in mind for the first 4/6 games. I might even have him run the practice squad, which might serve two purposes. 1-help the young offensive talent and 2-it might strengthen the starting defense having to go against Ben in practice.

Real Deal Steel
05-28-2010, 02:02 AM
Ben will play all season with a huge chip on his shoulder, which is a good thing IMO!

I totally agree. It's good to have him back but seriously, was there any doubt that he wasn't going to do what he was suppose to do?

Gettysburgh_Steel
05-28-2010, 11:14 AM
I totally agree. It's good to have him back but seriously, was there any doubt that he wasn't going to do what he was suppose to do?

Well yeah , there is allways doubt that he will do what he's suppose to .Take a whole lot more than that to get me back on the ole Ben bandwagon . Time will tell the story on whether it is a hoax or not . If he is playin i will back him 100%. But i will allways have the thought of what he might do next in the back of my mind . Until he proves otherwise.

75Steeler
05-28-2010, 11:32 AM
What about training camp?

If u were Tomlin, How many reps do you give him?

I think he is ok to attend training camp and everything all the way through regular season play. Once regular season games start he is out. If I were Tomlin I'd treat him as the starter no different than any other season. This is just my opinion and the way I understood Goodell's suspension deal with Ben and the Steelers.

ejsteeler
05-28-2010, 01:16 PM
Ben will pull it together.....at least for the season. After that is anyones guess, but I'm fully prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt and think his future success story wil only relate to this to show how great he has become!!! :yellowthumb: :cope:

SteelDad
05-28-2010, 01:23 PM
This is indeed good news. My thinking is that you just get him reps throwing the ball in the OTA's, reviewing the offense, new plays etc. In training camp, I really don't see him doing much. My understanding is that in these situations with other players and teams is that they will take it easy on the guy because the season is so demanding. We all know how often BR gets hit so that might not be a bad idea as long as he is as ready as can be when his suspension ends.

Scorp
05-28-2010, 01:34 PM
He has a lot to prove to me. Prove me wrong Ben.

nuclearchihuahuas
05-28-2010, 02:19 PM

I agree...I think he is so mad that he is not going to be able to play all the games that he will get an entire years worth of yards/touchdowns etc in the limited number of games he does play. :tt02:

--- Added 5/28/2010 at 12:19 PM ---

"Yes, he tarnished our image...he seriously smeared his own image...but the Steeler nation needs to give him the chance to rejoin the family and redeem himself by hard work and a display of attitude adjustment without wagging our fingers in his face and spouting venom if for no other reason then to respect the wishes of the Rooneys. They have proven that they do Have A Clue over and over again. "

Well i said crippled , but it kind of goes to the same place . The keys are in his hands , and he can go where he wishes , but he has to prove it . He hurt himself , he hurt the team , he probably hurt his family , and now he has got to do all of the right things . I will tell you right now that 5 out of 7 Steelers fans i have talked to , would not really care if he was gone forever . I don't hate the man , but he does not know how to conduct himself in a public setting . Argue that ? He was the whole package , turned partial package . He has to live with the repercussions of his actions . I want to see how he handles it , not some Tom , Dick , or Harry tryin to make my mind up for me thankyou ! He has some work to do , bottom line . The proof will be in the pudding if you will . Until i see something otherwise , i will stand pat. This is about the Steelers , got it ?
Not the Rooneys , not the fans , and most certainly , not Ben . The Steelers as a Team . Thats what its about . We can afford to lose some one who thinks that they are better than the whole team , and that is what it comes down to . Ben has the keys , case closed ! You think for one minute he throws a come from behind touchdown to win the game , and all will be forgiven ? Think again my friend . Some mighty serious work is ahead of Ben ! Even Tomlin took over his charity team , cause they did not even want him . Does that tell you something?

Yep--tells me that you're the one not living in reality--and that you absolutely require some anger management therapy--and the Ronald McDonald House has come out in support of Ben for all his good works (and are keeping him as a volunteer) as well as many of the Steeler fans with whom I am acquainted--If you bothered to truly read my post (without angry eyes) you would see that I basically agreed with you--just less anger issues, more optimism and hope and I wanted to state my preference to trust the Rooney's decision rather than spew venom--I just don't see how it helps at all--chill out--I get it--you're angry at Ben...breathe!

Steel Trap86
05-28-2010, 02:58 PM
This is great news and I have no doubt in my mind that Ben will do whatever is necessary, with help from this team, to get this suspension reduced to 4 games. I think we all need to move past this and let Ben rejoin and start winning football games again. I know he f*cked up and it isn't the first time, but he was never arrested or charged with anything and the man didn't even appeal his suspension. He has done what is asked of him by the league and look we didn't trade him nor are we going to, so lets get back to Steelers football.

scudmissile29
05-28-2010, 03:52 PM
Good News.

If anything he shouldn't get a 4 game suspension but an 8 game. Raping is the worst of the worst in anti social behaviour imo and whether he was found out or not ect ect blah blah hopefully he wont do it again because we need him its not easy finding a clutch franchise quarterback.

Im hoping him and Sanders do real well, afterall Sanders is wearing #88 he needs to do well

StlersGuy
05-28-2010, 04:51 PM

:thinking:I think he can practice just not for take in the 1st 4 or 6 games....:dunno:

Zachintosh66
05-28-2010, 04:51 PM
If anything he shouldn't get a 4 game suspension but an 8 game. Raping is the worst of the worst in anti social behaviour imo and whether he was found out or not ect ect blah blah hopefully he wont do it again because we need him its not easy finding a clutch franchise quarterback.

Enough steeldawg... you've made your opinion perfectly clear. its all in the past and he will do his "time" once the season starts. Can we talk about on field football for once? The rest is just beating a dead horse. Goodell has given him the green light to practice so obviously Ben is doing what he should do to be a better person. People make mistakes everyday, give him a chance to redeem himself. Move on already...

Dobre Shunka
05-29-2010, 01:51 AM
Time to move on. Good that's he's back in the facility, at least.

Will be better when he is back on the field where he belongs.

Ironman
05-29-2010, 04:36 AM
when he is back on the field where he belongs.

don't you mean in jail? :reddevil:

just had to say it, you set it up so perfectly :lol:

scudmissile29
05-29-2010, 09:20 AM
Enough steeldawg... you've made your opinion perfectly clear. its all in the past and he will do his "time" once the season starts. Can we talk about on field football for once? The rest is just beating a dead horse. Goodell has given him the green light to practice so obviously Ben is doing what he should do to be a better person. People make mistakes everyday, give him a chance to redeem himself. Move on already...

its not an opionion its more of a guideline goodell should of taken. i would of suspended ben 1 year.

i dont care if he wins more super bowls with us i hate that ****ing ugly bastard now.

MattyVfromCT
05-29-2010, 09:25 AM
its not an opionion its more of a guideline goodell should of taken. i would of suspended ben 1 year.

i dont care if he wins more super bowls with us i hate that ****ing ugly bastard now.

you'll be cheering for him as soon as he's throwing td's again and putting up record passing days like against green bay last year so come on, let it go already

nuclearchihuahuas
05-29-2010, 09:37 AM

Nobody likes a hater steeldawg--move on clearly you need to cheer for the bengals or the ravens--they need support like yours--we don't!

scudmissile29
05-29-2010, 03:36 PM
Nobody likes a hater steeldawg--move on clearly you need to cheer for the bengals or the ravens--they need support like yours--we don't!

im not a hater.

and yes i will cheer for ben when he throws a touchdown but im never going to cheer as loud as when mendenhall runs for a touchdown.

the same went for mike vick so the dude above with the stupid name suck my dick

nuclearchihuahuas
05-29-2010, 03:46 PM
im not a hater.

and yes i will cheer for ben when he throws a touchdown but im never going to cheer as loud as when mendenhall runs for a touchdown.

the same went for mike vick so the dude above with the stupid name suck my dick

How can you say you're not a hater? Do you even read what you write? Clearly your brain is as big as your dick---so nothing there to suck -- now please play nice and learn to communicate like a grownup

scudmissile29
05-29-2010, 03:52 PM
How can you say you're not a hater? Do you even read what you write? Clearly your brain is as big as your dick---so nothing there to suck -- now please play nice and learn to communicate like a grownup

your saying my dick is small come over here and see it. be my guest.

im not a hater, i dont like rapists how he got that young girl drunk as a franchise qb and face of a renowned organisation he needs to act better.

why cant he just get a hot gold digging whore wife to ****

nuclearchihuahuas
05-29-2010, 04:22 PM
your saying my dick is small come over here and see it. be my guest.

im not a hater, i dont like rapists how he got that young girl drunk as a franchise qb and face of a renowned organisation he needs to act better.

why cant he just get a hot gold digging whore wife to ****

Your "mum" must be so proud

scudmissile29
05-29-2010, 06:10 PM
Your "mum" must be so proud

yeh she indeed.

now go drink some poison :crossfingers:

JensK
05-29-2010, 07:09 PM
Fighting on the Internet is like attending in Special Olympics... Even if you win, your still a retard >.> Seriously, take it somewhere else, and lets talk Steelers here please.

nuclearchihuahuas
05-29-2010, 09:00 PM
Fighting on the Internet is like attending in Special Olympics... Even if you win, your still a retard >.> Seriously, take it somewhere else, and lets talk Steelers here please.

Good call JensK--any word on what the next OTAs will bring with Ben available? Has anyone heard how the offense is going to rotate?

I really liked the Hines Ward article I read that stated he is helping Wallace get better. I thought Wallace was really very good already--frankly, I am not sure we will notice Santonio is gone.

Is Trei Essex competing with Pouncey for RG?

Real Deal Steel
05-30-2010, 01:48 AM
I think our WR corps will be fine too. With Wallace, ARE and the rookie from LSU are going to be a fine group.

JensK
05-30-2010, 06:35 AM
When Pouncey was hurt, he was playing Center, so they are trying him at various positions. I do believe he'll end up playing RG tho, unless Hartwig is too slow recovering from that injury.
Also, i do agree that Wallace and Sanders are going to be good in this league (hopefully). I do not agree that ARE is going to solve anything. He couldnt even make Redskinds roster, and they arent exactly stacked at WR >.>

jnes1216
05-30-2010, 01:17 PM
When Pouncey was hurt, he was playing Center, so they are trying him at various positions. I do believe he'll end up playing RG tho, unless Hartwig is too slow recovering from that injury.
Also, i do agree that Wallace and Sanders are going to be good in this league (hopefully). I do not agree that ARE is going to solve anything. He couldnt even make Redskinds roster, and they arent exactly stacked at WR >.>

I agree, I don't think ARE was worth signing. What is he bringing to this team?, his punt return skills are marginal at best. A taller WR would have been nice, if nothing else to contribute on practice squad so secondary can get used to covering taller WRs.

nuclearchihuahuas
05-30-2010, 06:59 PM
I agree, I don't think ARE was worth signing. What is he bringing to this team?, his punt return skills are marginal at best. A taller WR would have been nice, if nothing else to contribute on practice squad so secondary can get used to covering taller WRs.

Maybe they are remembering his ability to throw the ball (like SB XL)--when a gadget play was necessary because the quarterback play was lacking, they pulled out Randel El as a passer more than once -- just my :2cents:

coldrolled
05-30-2010, 07:44 PM
dwyer and mendenhall are real young... arians has one year left on his contract.

everything will work out down the road.

Dobre Shunka
05-30-2010, 08:39 PM
don't you mean in jail? :reddevil:

just had to say it, you set it up so perfectly :lol:

Hilarious. Now, I don't think he belongs in jail, the DA didn't think so.

Do you have some inside knowledge that says otherwise?

Just asking, you set it up so perfectly.

JensK
05-31-2010, 06:05 AM
Maybe they are remembering his ability to throw the ball (like SB XL)--when a gadget play was necessary because the quarterback play was lacking, they pulled out Randel El as a passer more than once -- just my :2cents:

Well, we have Dixon who is quite capable of doing that as well, probably a whole lot better than ARE, plus Dixon is much better with the ball in his hands (which is rather sad, seeing he is a QB).

nuclearchihuahuas
05-31-2010, 12:03 PM
Well, we have Dixon who is quite capable of doing that as well, probably a whole lot better than ARE, plus Dixon is much better with the ball in his hands (which is rather sad, seeing he is a QB).

Totally agree! I think Dixon would rock as slash II--probably better than the original.:tt02:

scudmissile29
05-31-2010, 01:20 PM

I think its sad you have a muppet as your picture.

dixon is great at throwing but i guessed u didnt want him in college

mwittman5
05-31-2010, 01:57 PM

I think Dixon has the tools to succeed but Tomlin in the last yr of his contract wants Leftwich the veteran bcz he trusts him more.

P.S: nice Sig, go LA Kings :yesnod:

JensK
05-31-2010, 05:14 PM

As for the first part, i could not really care less. That had absolutely nothing to do with the discussion.

As for the last part, im not sure what you mean. I always liked Dixon, and i always thought he'd be a good NFL QB in a system that allows him to play the way he plays.