PDA

View Full Version : NFL.com says AFCN leader

coldrolled
05-15-2010, 11:34 AM
AFC North -- Baltimore. Few teams have been through more turmoil than the Steelers, and the uncertainty of the Ben Roethlisberger situation, coupled with the loss of Santonio Holmes, will limit that offense. In a tough division, that's too much to overcome. The Bengals have to prove they can do it two years in a row. Their defense will be fine, but I'm still not sold on the offensive attack and the ability of that offensive line to play to the level it did a year ago. The Ravens may have had the best offseason of any team. From trading for Anquan Boldin to retaining Derrick Mason to drafting a pair of talented tight ends to signing Donte' Stallworth, they finally gave Joe Flacco some weapons. Baltimore was the best team in that division down the stretch, and the Ravens have Super Bowl potential.

scudmissile29
05-15-2010, 11:37 AM
Jason La Canforna should be burned at the stake or crucified.

Nobody likes him

steelersbabex25
05-15-2010, 01:28 PM
Well the Steelers will have to prove him wrong won't they.

LatrobePA
05-15-2010, 02:50 PM
Why wouldn't they pick the Rats? They're f'n stacked and we are unstacked at the moment!!

SnakeEyes43
05-15-2010, 04:12 PM
Why wouldn't they pick the Rats? They're f'n stacked and we are unstacked at the moment!!

Exactly, with the off-season we have had, who did you expect them to pick???

Real Deal Steel
05-15-2010, 04:33 PM

Stacked?? Stacked how? Go look at their corners and then come back and say their stacked.

We are not "unstacked". Other then the Big ben situation (which will be resolved in a month) we are the team that is stacked. We've refortified the secondary, our LB depth and the O-line. I'll take our WR corps over the Ravens anyday of the week as well as I'll take Ben over Flacco too.

Every ordinary, idiot fan of other teams think this Ben sitiuation is going to mark our whole season. This thing will be a distant memory by mid-season when we are 5-3 or 6-2.

We are flying under the radar and that's just the way I like it. At the end of the season, they'll be ball washing us as usual.

JensK
05-15-2010, 05:58 PM
Lets have a look:

Our DBs = Their DBs - Both suck, and has yet to prove their respective fans otherwise.

Our LB > Their LBs - But not by a lot... Our added depth, for me, made the difference.

Their o-line > Our O-line - Period!

Their d-line = Our d-line - Quite frankly its impossible for me to call which is better... They work in different ways, but both have some real talent on it. If i HAD to pick a line i would go with Ravens because its younger.

Their RBs > Our RBs - They are proven. Sure, ours have potential, but Steelers has had a lot of potential in their drafts over the last few years who currently is not on the roster, so lets stick with whats proven.

Our WRs = Their WRs - I know i may get killed for this one, but they did add Boldin (who, imo, is the sick), and we lost Holmes. We have an old Hines, and Wallace who has to step up to be a number one guy, a job which he could easily fail in (its a lot of preasure on a young kid). Then we have some drafted guys, which is unproven so far.

Our QB > Their QB - Ben is a top 5 guy in this league when he gets to play... Flacco is not, but i do like Flacco as a QB, and he is no push-over. He is just a young QB whos never had any WRs to go to. Flacco is going to be dangerous this year, mark it down.

Thats two each way, and with Big Ben out for at least 4 games, one of those against Ravens, i could easily see why they would pick Ravens over Steelers. Bengels, however, could easily go ahead and be even better than both though imo. They look pretty scary if they can stay healthy.

coldrolled
05-15-2010, 07:39 PM
Bengels, however, could easily go ahead and be even better than both though imo. They look pretty scary if they can stay healthy.

Healthy and have Zero Locker Room problems...

Zachintosh66
05-15-2010, 07:42 PM
Our WRs = Their WRs

I disagree with this part... rest is pretty spot on tho

JensK
05-15-2010, 07:54 PM
Healthy and have Zero Locker Room problems...

Well, they have certain individuals who are known to cause problems in the lockerroom, i know, but i really don't see that slowing them down. There is way to much talent on that team to do so. They have a good QB, good DBs, good LBs, possible good WRs and RBs (its kinda an questionmark to me right now), and both their lines look pretty good. Also, the team is young and probably hungry for more. After all, Ravens and Steelers are still the teams to beat in this division according to a lot of "experts", and Bengals did sweep both last season. Rulling Bengals out because of potential lockerroom problems is dumb, plain and simple.

LatrobePA
05-16-2010, 12:51 AM
They have Ray Lewis (a pure POS) but he can keep a team hungry!!

Real Deal Steel
05-16-2010, 01:36 AM
Our DB group is better then their DB group.

I'll take Troy over a broke neck ED Reed

I'll take Mcfadden over anything else they have in their secondary. And I"ll even take Gay in the slot over their guy.

Our Secondary is noticably better then theirs.

JensK
05-16-2010, 06:29 AM
Ehm, Steelers were ranked 16th overall against the pass, ravens 8th, and you can't really blame the passrush, because Steelers LBs know damn well how to rush the passer. Ravens had 22 interceptions, Steelers had mindblowing 12... We did add McFadden, and while he is better than Gay, he is not an elite CB by any means. Troy vs. Reed is not a discussion i'll even have, because both are amazing safeties, but Reed knows how to stay somewhat healthy.

coldrolled
05-16-2010, 09:34 AM
Well, they have certain individuals who are known to cause problems in the lockerroom, i know, but i really don't see that slowing them down. There is way to much talent on that team to do so. They have a good QB, good DBs, good LBs, possible good WRs and RBs (its kinda an questionmark to me right now), and both their lines look pretty good. Also, the team is young and probably hungry for more. After all, Ravens and Steelers are still the teams to beat in this division according to a lot of "experts", and Bengals did sweep both last season. Rulling Bengals out because of potential lockerroom problems is dumb, plain and simple.

hmm.. i added locker room problems to your staying healthy for the bengals to win, since the steelers would never sign or keep a pacman, stallworth, maualuga, ochocinco, TO, Holmes, Plaxico because of what? do we hear all the time on this board? and why would the steelers not sign them?

Real Deal Steel
05-16-2010, 08:49 PM
Ehm, Steelers were ranked 16th overall against the pass, ravens 8th, and you can't really blame the passrush, because Steelers LBs know damn well how to rush the passer. Ravens had 22 interceptions, Steelers had mindblowing 12... We did add McFadden, and while he is better than Gay, he is not an elite CB by any means. Troy vs. Reed is not a discussion i'll even have, because both are amazing safeties, but Reed knows how to stay somewhat healthy.

Steelers were ranked 16th against the pass as troy was out and gay was well..Gay. Did you see Mcfadden his last season with us?? He played damn near to elite. And the year before he was better then good.

All those stats your throwing out are based on Troy being out and Mcfadden not being there.

And Reed being somewhat healthy?? Are you aware that Reed was contemplating retirement because of the neck injury he has? And the injury still hasn't straightened itself out. While Troy is healthy but taking it slow. Sorry but I"ll take Troy over Reed right now.

86WARD
05-16-2010, 10:49 PM
Our DB group is better then their DB group.

I'll take Troy over a broke neck ED Reed

I'll take Mcfadden over anything else they have in their secondary. And I"ll even take Gay in the slot over their guy.

Our Secondary is noticably better then theirs.

^ this. The back end of the Ravens D is the worst part and weakest part of that team. Regardless of what the rankings were last year, they hold nothing right now. The Steelers will have a much improved unit with McFadden and with Polamalu 100%.

JensK
05-17-2010, 04:42 AM
Steelers were ranked 16th against the pass as troy was out and gay was well..Gay. Did you see Mcfadden his last season with us?? He played damn near to elite. And the year before he was better then good.

All those stats your throwing out are based on Troy being out and Mcfadden not being there.

And Reed being somewhat healthy?? Are you aware that Reed was contemplating retirement because of the neck injury he has? And the injury still hasn't straightened itself out. While Troy is healthy but taking it slow. Sorry but I"ll take Troy over Reed right now.

I saw a McFadden that could not win the starting job over William Gay, the same person you are bashing. Reed have been staying way more healthy over the years than Troy. Troy is injuryprone like noone on this time, and right now there are no indications that he wont go out there and hurt him self again...

LatrobePA
05-17-2010, 10:04 AM
Speaking of Troy, he's still nursing his knee from last year...So yes there is a very good chance he'll miss time this year again!!

I could see this season being a 7-9 type....Not enough was done in the offseason to sure up the secondary!!

steelersbabex25
05-17-2010, 12:12 PM
Our QB > Their QB - Ben is a top 5 guy in this league when he gets to play... Flacco is not, but i do like Flacco as a QB, and he is no push-over. He is just a young QB whos never had any WRs to go to. Flacco is going to be dangerous this year, mark it down.

Ben is better than Flacco..however Flacco is better than Leftwich/Dixon..who will be starting 4 games. Soo..

Real Deal Steel
05-18-2010, 01:12 AM
I saw a McFadden that could not win the starting job over William Gay, the same person you are bashing. Reed have been staying way more healthy over the years than Troy. Troy is injuryprone like noone on this time, and right now there are no indications that he wont go out there and hurt him self again...

Sorry but you obviously were not watching our SB season. Because Mcfadden was rock solid. And every fan who watched that season knows that.

Ed Reed has a broken neck. A broken neck player that has retirement on his mind isn't better then Troy at this point in his career.

And who is bashing Gay? I said Gay would be fine in the slot.

JensK
05-18-2010, 04:31 AM
Sorry but you obviously were not watching our SB season. Because Mcfadden was rock solid. And every fan who watched that season knows that.

Ed Reed has a broken neck. A broken neck player that has retirement on his mind isn't better then Troy at this point in his career.

And who is bashing Gay? I said Gay would be fine in the slot.

Every observative fan who were watching our SB season saw McFadden go down with injuries for, i think, 4 games, and when he returned, he could not win the starting job back against gay, the same gay everyone saw failed misserible last year. That, sir, is the truth

coldrolled
05-18-2010, 07:28 AM
Every observative fan who were watching our SB season saw McFadden go down with injuries for, i think, 4 games, and when he returned, he could not win the starting job back against gay, the same gay everyone saw failed misserible last year. That, sir, is the truth

true with gay, he beat out bryant back then.. hopefully mcfadden got better in AZ, probably not since they traded him for a song.

troy missing last year really made farrior, taylor and gay look lost on the field, sometimes it looked as if they were waiting for troy to come up and cover. but he was on the sidelines. carter and clark were not backing up the coverage like troy would. i hope allen can do better when troy is on the sidelines during the games this year.

harrison and woodley need to get the QB quicker this year also.. take the pressure off the secondary. could be why we have worilds and gibson now too. what was their sack total last year compared to the rest of the league??

JensK
05-18-2010, 07:59 AM
true with gay, he beat out bryant back then.. hopefully mcfadden got better in AZ, probably not since they traded him for a song.

troy missing last year really made farrior, taylor and gay look lost on the field, sometimes it looked as if they were waiting for troy to come up and cover. but he was on the sidelines. carter and clark were not backing up the coverage like troy would. i hope allen can do better when troy is on the sidelines during the games this year.

harrison and woodley need to get the QB quicker this year also.. take the pressure off the secondary. could be why we have worilds and gibson now too. what was their sack total last year compared to the rest of the league??

I dont know the exact number, but i know that Steelers ended either second or third in sack totals, and Harrison and Woodley did add quite a few of those, so i am going to guess they were in at least top 10, probably top 5. I am not sure though, id have to look it up

harpo
05-18-2010, 03:44 PM
I never put much stock in what the prognosticators are saying because they have their favorites. Who cares if the Ravens are the pre-season favorites? Joe Flacco is still (statistically speaking) the worst post season QB of all-time. For the most part, every team looks good on paper when they're making acquisitions during the off season. However, the games are played and won/lost on the field, not in the media among sports writers. I actually love this team being under the radar and I think that they love being under it, too.

The bottomline is this: our guys know how to play together and they know how to win. Thus, I like their chances against anyone.

SteelerSteve
05-20-2010, 05:09 PM

Nobody likes him lol I wont disagree with that....but I really dont think that this is a rediculous article by any means....From a non biased perspective I think you could probably say the steelers preseason ranking is around 3rd in the division.

Real Deal Steel
05-22-2010, 03:12 AM

Mcfadden couldn't win the starting job back because he still wasn't 100%. There is a reason that we brought back Mcfadden and that's because he's better then Gay. Actions speak louder then words. And when Mcfadden is your starting LCB at the begining of the season, it will prove my point. That, sir, is the real truth.

JensK
05-22-2010, 05:16 AM
Mcfadden couldn't win the starting job back because he still wasn't 100%. There is a reason that we brought back Mcfadden and that's because he's better then Gay. Actions speak louder then words. And when Mcfadden is your starting LCB at the begining of the season, it will prove my point. That, sir, is the real truth.

I never said he wouldnt be starting over Gay. Nor did i say that he is not going to be better than Gay. What i am saying is, that after he could not win back the starting job against Gay, he was shipped to Cardinals, where he played horrible throughout the season. He may thrive better in Steelers system, but as you said, action speak louder than words, and untill he actually goes out there and shut some WRs down and get some interceptions (which he wasnt able to do last year in Cardinals), its all speculations, nothing more. Untill proven otherwise, our DBs are, compared to last year, no better than Ravens.

Real Deal Steel
05-22-2010, 03:25 PM
Ok. I understand what your saying..but I disagree. We know that Mcfadden's ceiling goes higher then the cornballs the Ravens have. So that right there makes our secondary better.

nuclearchihuahuas
05-23-2010, 12:24 PM

Nobody likes him

It true, LaCanforna seems to be Steeler bashing and doing what he can in media to promote the Ravens...I believe the Steelers will get into the playoffs this year; they will do their jobs and make a fool out of La Canforna...the NFL network really needs to get rid of this guy...his clear bias against the Steelers is making them look biased too.

xxxsteelernation
05-23-2010, 05:25 PM
Remeber when healthy the steelers still have the number 1 defense in the leauge. I have always belived that if the opposing team cannot score they cannot win. so offensivly if we do struggle our defense should be able to keep us in the game.

nuclearchihuahuas
05-23-2010, 11:32 PM
Remeber when healthy the steelers still have the number 1 defense in the leauge. I have always belived that if the opposing team cannot score they cannot win. so offensivly if we do struggle our defense should be able to keep us in the game.

I have always been a fan of the defense!!! I can deal with it if the offense if average, but when the defense is average I can't deal!!!!! :rant2:

dawgs
05-27-2010, 04:25 PM
Our DBs = Their DBs - Both suck, and has yet to prove their respective fans otherwise.

Browns DB's are better then both teams lol.

Our LB > Their LBs - But not by a lot... Our added depth, for me, made the difference.

I agree. But both are very very good. Browns have a deep linebacking crew, but no big stars.

Their o-line > Our O-line - Period!

Browns OL is better then the Steelers.

Their d-line = Our d-line - Quite frankly its impossible for me to call which is better... They work in different ways, but both have some real talent on it. If i HAD to pick a line i would go with Ravens because its younger.

Bartimore has a really good DL. They will be huge.

Our WRs = Their WRs - I know i may get killed for this one, but they did add Boldin (who, imo, is the sick), and we lost Holmes. We have an old Hines, and Wallace who has to step up to be a number one guy, a job which he could easily fail in (its a lot of preasure on a young kid). Then we have some drafted guys, which is unproven so far.

Their WR's are a lot better then the steelers. Boldin, Mason, Stallworth(if he stays heatlhy and murder free). They could be real good.

coldrolled
05-27-2010, 04:53 PM
Thats why i say we need TO.

DBR96A
05-28-2010, 02:15 AM
So if Ben Roethlisberger is as "overrated" as everybody says he is, then why is everybody writing the Steelers off? After all, any QB can succeed in Pittsburgh, right? Just ask Neil O'Donnell and Kordell Stewart. :rolleyes:

Dobre Shunka
05-28-2010, 05:34 AM
Just ask Neil O'Donnell and Kordell Stewart. :rolleyes:

Good gad, don't post that name. I get a migraine like shooting pain just reading his (NOD's) name.