PDA

View Full Version : QB Comp...

Zachintosh66
05-14-2010, 03:31 PM
Steelers | Will know QB pecking order before camp
Comment (0)
Fri, 14 May 2010 10:33:58 -0400

Pittsburgh Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin said he will know how the quarterback depth chart will look before the start of training camp but likely will not announce his choices, reports NFL.com. "Really, it's not a three-man quarterback competition at this point," Tomlin said. "We know what all three men are capable of doing. All three men, at different points in time, have benefited us and helped us win football games or played winning football. We know what we're working with. We're going to spend the rest of this offseason teaching, re-acclimating in some cases - as with [QB Byron Leftwich] - and then we're going to make decisions and move forward."

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/team/30/NFL#ixzz0nviQRVy4

To me this sounds like its between Leftwich and Dixon, with Leftwich in the lead. I really would like to see Dixon get a shot tho.

ejsteeler
05-14-2010, 03:35 PM
You're better at reading between the lines than me then...I took it at face value and it did not seem like he favored anyone though his mind is probably close to if not made up already.
I with you, I want to see what Dixon can do for an extended amount of playing time.

coldrolled
05-14-2010, 03:57 PM
getting dixon the start in the 4 games will add value to our roster if he succeeds or open a door for a new qb draft pick in 2011.. leftwich has a set value and it will not change much if he plays or not. to have dixon succeed will only help this team all around. he has to start. its the perfect timing to get him the experience he lacks.. he starts IMO

jnes1216
05-14-2010, 06:20 PM
getting dixon the start in the 4 games will add value to our roster if he succeeds or open a door for a new qb draft pick in 2011.. leftwich has a set value and it will not change much if he plays or not. to have dixon succeed will only help this team all around. he has to start. its the perfect timing to get him the experience he lacks.. he starts IMO

I couldn't agree more. Lets see what Dixon can do, the schedule for the first four games isnt excruciating. We don't need another St. Pierre or Tee Martin career 3rd stringer. Put it on film as Tomlin likes to say :popcorn:, if he falters throw Leftwich in.

cmerrifield
05-14-2010, 06:26 PM
I very much want Dixon to be the starter until he shows that he will hurt the team. I am not sure finding out 24 hours before the game that you are starting a Sunday night game vs the Ravens is really going to be the best assessment of his abilities. I really want to see what Dixon can do.

DanRooney
05-14-2010, 08:29 PM
Signs point to Leftwich as starter

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on May 14, 2010 6:50 PM ET
Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said this week that it's not really a "three-man competition" to determine who will start at quarterback while Ben Roethlisberger is suspended.

"We know what all three men are capable of doing," Tomlin said.

Just a guess, but we took that to mean Charlie Batch isn't part of the competition. Tomlin also said he will know his quarterback pecking order before training camp starts, even if he doesn't make the information public.

We didn't know what that meant.

ESPN's Adam Schefter thinks he has a clue. He said on NFL Live Friday that the job is Byron Leftwich's to lose.

Leftwich ran with the first team at Pittsburgh's recent minicamp. The team explained that by saying they wanted to get him back up to speed after spending last year in Tampa Bay.

Dennis Dixon played well in his one start last year, but Leftwich has more experience and the Steelers seem to like the leadership he brings to the team.

coldrolled
05-14-2010, 09:18 PM
Signs point to Leftwich as starter

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on May 14, 2010 6:50 PM ET
Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said this week that it's not really a "three-man competition" to determine who will start at quarterback while Ben Roethlisberger is suspended.

"We know what all three men are capable of doing," Tomlin said.

Just a guess, but we took that to mean Charlie Batch isn't part of the competition. Tomlin also said he will know his quarterback pecking order before training camp starts, even if he doesn't make the information public.

We didn't know what that meant.

ESPN's Adam Schefter thinks he has a clue. He said on NFL Live Friday that the job is Byron Leftwich's to lose.

Leftwich ran with the first team at Pittsburgh's recent minicamp. The team explained that by saying they wanted to get him back up to speed after spending last year in Tampa Bay.

Dennis Dixon played well in his one start last year, but Leftwich has more experience and the Steelers seem to like the leadership he brings to the team.

if he plays like he played in tampa. dixon is a shoe in.

Gettysburgh_Steel
05-14-2010, 10:17 PM
Dixon has the brightest spot that he could ever hope for . He is the "heir apparent ". His time may be upon him now . He has a good showing , and i am starting him too , Bens days has a number on them . Byron is a legitament back up too . One thing i want to say is that Batch is no pushover either . I will go out on the limb , and say that Batch starts the season as our starting QB . He has everything under his belt , and does deserve the chance to be the man . If he can't , then yes Dixon is the man .

LatrobePA
05-14-2010, 10:55 PM
Give me Dixon...

beaver688
05-14-2010, 11:23 PM
Batch is the man.

DanRooney
05-15-2010, 02:48 AM
No way Batch is the starting QB. We're not a playaction team anymore.

It's between Leftwich and Dixon. I'm leaning towards Leftwich because Dixon showed me nothing during that Ravens game.

LatrobePA
05-15-2010, 09:54 AM
Batch is the man.

Soft Batch Charlie is only a coach, he's not a player anymore....:yellowthumb:

LarryNJ
05-15-2010, 10:50 AM
I guess it's Leftwich to lose, but I'm hoping Dixon beats him out in the pre-season. Simple because we know Byron is a very good back up, I'd like to see what we have in Dixon.

Zachintosh66
05-15-2010, 10:50 AM
Soft Batch Charlie
:lol:

I like that... Soft Batch

I usually use China Doll Charlie

We should vote on it and see what his official nick name here at SA would be :yellowthumb:

coldrolled
05-15-2010, 11:01 AM
Soft Batch Charlie is only a coach, he's not a player anymore....:yellowthumb:

lets get him off the roster then.

Real Deal Steel
05-15-2010, 04:26 PM

This is my position as well. Dixon will be better then he was when we last saw him by leaps and bounds. I"m predicting atleast a 2-2 start.

nuclearchihuahuas
05-15-2010, 05:53 PM
This is my position as well. Dixon will be better then he was when we last saw him by leaps and bounds. I"m predicting atleast a 2-2 start.

I think Dixon will be the guy so the Steelers can get him quality playing time...I think they will try to trade Ben in the next year or so and need someone in place and ready to go

JensK
05-15-2010, 06:02 PM
For me its about more than just those 4-6 games. Dixon is going to be our premier backup from now on, and if he were to start and perform really well, he would add some value in terms of trading. Leftwich would not. He is what he is, and you can like that or not, but you wont get a second round pick for leftwich or anything close. If Dixon comes out and destroys, we could potentially get something like that for him.

DanRooney
05-15-2010, 06:28 PM
For me its about more than just those 4-6 games. Dixon is going to be our premier backup from now on, and if he were to start and perform really well, he would add some value in terms of trading. Leftwich would not. He is what he is, and you can like that or not, but you wont get a second round pick for leftwich or anything close. If Dixon comes out and destroys, we could potentially get something like that for him.

We won't. Teams now are starting to realize you can't win with that type of quarterback. You need a pure passer. Dixon is another gimmick quarterback that relies on his scrambling ability to make big plays happen. That doesn't work in the NFL.

JensK
05-15-2010, 07:12 PM
Its been working pretty well for dolphins and Jets. Even if he turns out just to be a gimmick QB, he is still worth more than Leftwich will ever be imo. (valuewise that is)

coldrolled
05-15-2010, 07:33 PM
We won't. Teams now are starting to realize you can't win with that type of quarterback. You need a pure passer. Dixon is another gimmick quarterback that relies on his scrambling ability to make big plays happen. That doesn't work in the NFL.

dude, he played one game, he scarmbled twice? i think we scored twice with the two scrambles? whats the gimmick? if he can scramble 3 times a qtr that would keep the defenses from rushing in like wild fire on our line as is usually done right now. No?

Real Deal Steel
05-16-2010, 01:39 AM

I hear ya. But we are talking about 4 games.

DanRooney
05-16-2010, 02:13 AM
Its been working pretty well for dolphins and Jets. Even if he turns out just to be a gimmick QB, he is still worth more than Leftwich will ever be imo. (valuewise that is)

Pat White? He has yet to complete a pass in the NFL with two years on the roster. Henne is their starter.

And I'm not sure what quarterback you're referring to on the Jets. But if you're referring to Sanchez, that's the only real weakness on their team anyway.

Dobre Shunka
05-16-2010, 05:01 AM
I think they'll start Lefty and they'll be frick'n booing and hooing everywhere, many on the boards will have conniption fits the size of Frisco tremors. Eventually, the turmoil subsides as they bring in Dixon to give it a go, the clouds open up, the angels rejoice and there will be exultation throughout Steeler land once again.

JensK
05-16-2010, 06:19 AM
Pat White? He has yet to complete a pass in the NFL with two years on the roster. Henne is their starter.

And I'm not sure what quarterback you're referring to on the Jets. But if you're referring to Sanchez, that's the only real weakness on their team anyway.

Im not really talking about a QB, but to style of offense Dixon would do well in. He can run and he can pass, very wildcatish, which a few teams have used with pretty great success.

coldrolled
05-16-2010, 09:45 AM
They need to style dixon like randall cunningham.. screw this wildcat crap.

Watch some old film from the ancient 80's on randall and see what the steelers could put together on the field using dixon. even add a small amount of randall's best plays to dixon's game plan. i actually hated the eagles back in the day, they could make any defense look lost on the field, but dixon has the same size and speed as randall and IMO it is a good comparison.

LatrobePA
05-16-2010, 01:14 PM

I'll take it...

SnakeEyes43
05-16-2010, 02:06 PM
I think they will try to trade Ben in the next year or so and need someone in place and ready to go

I don't see them trading Ben unless he messes up again...which hopefully he won't. I think he has to have learned his lesson this time. Once we go 2-2 (at best) without Ben, and he comes back and starts winning games, everyone will be back on the Big Ben bandwagon again. Don't throw out your #7 jersey yet...

And I think Leftwich will be the starter week 1, but I would prefer Dixon.

Zachintosh66
05-16-2010, 03:04 PM
if anything is a gimmick... its the wildcat

nuclearchihuahuas
05-17-2010, 11:51 AM
I don't see them trading Ben unless he messes up again...which hopefully he won't. I think he has to have learned his lesson this time. Once we go 2-2 (at best) without Ben, and he comes back and starts winning games, everyone will be back on the Big Ben bandwagon again. Don't throw out your #7 jersey yet...

I hope you are right--I don't watch the steelers to admire the quality of their ethical abilities but rather the quality of their kick a** play--and Ben can play--however, I also think the least little rumor of anything started by anyone will cause the Rooneys to bail on Ben and they need someone with a future and some experience to step into his place. Lefty has experience but not much time left in his career...Dixon has plenty of time and ability but needs the on field experience to learn and be useful.

coldrolled
05-17-2010, 12:28 PM

ben stays...

he will be so pissed for the next few years he may actually direct another 2 super bowls our way. wouldnt that just **** off the media.... bens payback for trying to derail our franchise with the he said she said crap and over played suspensions. if ben corrects his train of thought and focuses on the technicals of the game, he will destroy other teams with vengence.. imo

Zachintosh66
05-19-2010, 09:22 AM
Email Print Share
By James Walker
Here are the most interesting stories Wednesday in the AFC North:
Byron Leftwich remained the first-team quarterback at OTAs this week for the Pittsburgh Steelers.
Morning take: No surprise here. Leftwich received all the first-team reps in minicamp, as well. It looks like Dennis Dixon has some making up to do if he wants the job in September.

Does it seem like to anyone else that they promised Leftwich the starting job already?

ps. can we stop the Ben trade talk, if it was going to happen it would have. Otherwise, unless he screws up again, he isnt going anywhere... Even if Dixon or Leftwich does incredible.

andyg1984
05-19-2010, 10:44 AM
yeah, it seems that way at times and tomlin has said he does not necessarily want a 3 way QB comp .. and yes, on #2, we should definitely put a stop to the trade talk

Blazedby92
05-19-2010, 11:00 AM

China Doll Charlie :clap:

What do you think Ben does DUH

75Steeler
05-19-2010, 12:27 PM
I want to see Dixon start and Lefty as the #2 man. I think Dixon proved himself in the Baltimore game.

ejsteeler
05-19-2010, 01:44 PM
I want to see Dixon start and Lefty as the #2 man. I think Dixon proved himself in the Baltimore game.

oh God, don't let gravity hear you say that.....:lol:

I agree though. Now is the time to determine his worth. If not now, when? Cold from an injury? Even experienced, veteran back ups have a hard time stepping in smoothly let alone one that we refuse to let get some meaningful snaps. :imho:

jnes1216
05-19-2010, 10:10 PM
Tomlin must have faith in Dixon knowing the playbook, because if he ends up giving the bulk of the snaps in training camp to Leftwich and Leftwich falters in the first game or two, he's setting the team up to fail by not preparing Dixon as well. I don't know how many snaps the second team QB gets with the first team offense so I could be way off base. I am just not following Tomlin's logic in penciling someone in as the starter before the competition begins. I'm sure Dixon knows this is his opportunity and he won't come in unprepared either.