PDA

View Full Version : Why can't Pouncey start at center?

greg1964
05-12-2010, 09:32 AM
Why is it conceded that Pouncey will start at guard vs center. I know what coach Tomlin stated at the press conference, but if I remember correctly, both Manhan and Hartwig was told the same thing when they came in. And both men started at center game 1st. Now if Pouncey can attend all the OTA and get signed on time, why canít he start at center day one?

Hartwig is serviceable, but one of the reasons the Steelers running game was struggled in recent seasons is because they have got the push in the middle of the line, and in some cases have been pushed back into the ball carriers.

If the Steelers are serious about running the ball, we canít have our center getting plow back into the backfield.

My projected starters: would be: (LT) Starks, (LG) Kemo, (C) Pouncey, (RG) Foster,(RT) Colon. With primary backups being: Hartwig or Legursky at center, Urbik as guard, Essex and swing guard tackle, and Scott at tackle.

JensK
05-12-2010, 09:42 AM
Why is it conceded that Pouncey will start at guard vs center. I know what coach Tomlin stated at the press conference, but if I remember correctly, both Manhan and Hartwig was told the same thing when they came in. And both men started at center game 1st. Now if Pouncey can attend all the OTA and get signed on time, why canít he start at center day one?

Hartwig is serviceable, but one of the reasons the Steelers running game was struggled in recent seasons is because they have got the push in the middle of the line, and in some cases have been pushed back into the ball carriers.

If the Steelers are serious about running the ball, we canít have our center getting plow back into the backfield.

My projected starters: would be: (LT) Starks, (LG) Kemo, (C) Pouncey, (RG) Foster,(RT) Colon. With primary backups being: Hartwig or Legursky at center, Urbik as guard, Essex and swing guard tackle, and Scott at tackle.

Hartwig is not even servicable. He is the worst center in the league, period. With that being said, they have invested money in him, and Steelers are rather stubborn when it comes to that. I dont think he'll be going anywhere before his contract is up. Hartwig also knows the playbook better, which is a big plus as a center. Pouncey is going to make him look alot better too, because he can help him out with the big NTs we face.

BlitzburghRockCity
05-12-2010, 09:53 AM
Center is the kingpin position on the line. The Center calls out blocking assignments and everything starts with him. If he is not on his game, the rest of the line will just fall apart. It takes awhile to not only learn and become comfortable with the offense, but also to be able to recognize blocking schemes and call out changes on the line just seconds before the play starts.

Hartwig is nowhere near a great Center but he is serviceable enough to atleast know the playbook and make the right calls. At this point though, given our line situation the last few years, if Pouncey seems to be catching on in camp and preseason, there's no reason not to give him a shot and see how it goes. At this point we can't be much much and his athletic ability is a real nice upgrade from what we're used to seeing since Dawson and Hartings retired.

K Train
05-12-2010, 10:30 AM
he could....but it might be overwhelming and line blocking audibles might be suspect at best with a rookie making the calls...no doubt in my mind he COULD do it, but there would be 4 weeks of learning which doesnt sound great since chances are dixon will be taking the snaps. pouncey and colon on the right=the sex

izach12
05-12-2010, 03:31 PM
hartwig isnt the warost center in the leauge, but he is by no means a great player he does have a feel for the game, more so than a rookie would so he should start day one, but personally i think since his natural postion isnt center, he could actually do much better at RG later in the year. starters day one id say are from left ro right are starks/scott(ive heard hes pretty good an familiar with the new OL coach), Kemoeatu, hartwig, pouncey, colon. by the end of the year i think poncey and hartwig might make the swtich.

K Train
05-12-2010, 03:40 PM
nope, hes the worst, dead last in sacks given up the last 2 years...he gets steam rolled by mediocre dlinemen. they only thing that makes him servicable is kemo playing next to him and taking up alot of space. id rather have legursky start....he the strongest player on the team so at least he has some ****in stones to hold his own ground

izach12
05-12-2010, 04:08 PM
harwig gaives up sacks becuase of ben yes the OL needs work but its not all his fault, honestly if it wasnt for the injuries we have to the OL every year i think they would fair much better Kemoeatu missed 5 games, and our RG spot was in total disaray the whole year

LatrobePA
05-12-2010, 04:29 PM
I wouldn't let Hartwig wipe my ***!!

K Train
05-12-2010, 04:49 PM
harwig gaives up sacks becuase of ben yes the OL needs work but its not all his fault, honestly if it wasnt for the injuries we have to the OL every year i think they would fair much better Kemoeatu missed 5 games, and our RG spot was in total disaray the whole year

essex was solid especially in pass blocking and foster/legursky was a beast in spot duty....hartwig gave up 8 2 years ago, and 7 last year....both 2 more than the next center.

hes ****ing terrible

Zachintosh66
05-12-2010, 05:10 PM
Pouncey is a shotgun center... thats why

coldrolled
05-12-2010, 06:46 PM
Pouncey is a shotgun center... thats why

just thank god we drafted a real OL player

andyg1984
05-12-2010, 06:54 PM
so what does ev1 think of black's chances of contributing down the line at RG?

i never bought him for a 1-2 rounder like he was hyped to be at the end of last season, but maybe our strategy of drafting tackles that cannot play tackle late has finally paid off ?

2 years from now how does he stack vs Foster, Essex and the website favorite- Urbik

K Train
05-12-2010, 07:26 PM
black as in ciron black who isnt actually a steeler? lol

Zachintosh66
05-12-2010, 07:30 PM
so what does ev1 think of black's chances of contributing down the line at RG?

Black didnt sign with us... Black had so much potential that none of the 32 tyeams wouldnt even sign him for a pack of hotdogs and a coke!

Real Deal Steel
05-12-2010, 10:28 PM
All I know is that Hartwig is dog poop. And I really hope Pouncey starts.

Zachintosh66
05-12-2010, 11:13 PM
All I know is that Hartwig is dog poop. And I really hope Pouncey starts.

He will... at RG.

Dobre Shunka
05-12-2010, 11:39 PM
Give him time to experience NFL speed @ guard and learn the cadence of the play calling.

andyg1984
05-12-2010, 11:42 PM
[QUOTE=Zachintosh66;348208]Black didnt sign with us... Black had so much potential that none of the 32 tyeams wouldnt even sign him for a pack of hotdogs and a coke![/QUOT

i have been thinking he was on this team for like 3 weeks ..lol .. meh, no biggie i guess we have enough tackles that try to play guard ... imo he was better than some of the OL drafted

K Train
05-13-2010, 10:16 AM
black and foster=same player so it doesnt matter, i like foster alot

BlackGold4vr
05-13-2010, 10:37 AM
essex was solid especially in pass blocking and foster/legursky was a beast in spot duty....hartwig gave up 8 2 years ago, and 7 last year....both 2 more than the next center.

hes ****ing terrible

:plus1:

The only real argument that can be made is that Hartwig is only slightly better than trying to play without a center.

:lol:

K Train
05-13-2010, 10:40 AM

The only real argument that can be made is that Hartwig is only slightly better than trying to play without a center.

i said the same thing about mahan, they would be better off with 4 linemen because then at least they would know they had to take up 2 blockers, they wouldnt be able to assume that 5th guy could handle their assignment and get steam rolled

Blazedby92
05-13-2010, 01:40 PM

NOW THAT IS FUNNY SH**:hilarious:

steelcitysfinestXL
05-14-2010, 10:49 AM
id rather have legursky start....he the strongest player on the team so at least he has some ****in stones to hold his own ground

:plus1: I would not at all be suprised if that happens. With Chris-K, Legursky, Pouncy and Colon... thats whole-lot-a-nasty! Craig Wolfley is gonna ruin his shorts this training camp! If only they could get Max to get a lil meaner that'd be one sick OL!!!

BlackGold4vr
05-14-2010, 10:59 AM
:plus1: I would not at all be suprised if that happens. With Chris-K, Legursky, Pouncy and Colon... thats whole-lot-a-nasty! Craig Wolfley is gonna ruin his shorts this training camp! If only they could get Max to get a lil meaner that'd be one sick OL!!!

Maxipad doesn't just need to get meaner, he needs to get leaner. 330-340 pounds might be nice for an interior linemen but on the outside its too much weight to deal with much smaller and faster guys. There were plays this past year that Maxi didn't even get a touch on his assignment because by the time he got his fat *** out there the guy had already passed by.

K Train
05-14-2010, 11:12 AM
Maxipad doesn't just need to get meaner, he needs to get leaner. 330-340 pounds might be nice for an interior linemen but on the outside its too much weight to deal with much smaller and faster guys. There were plays this past year that Maxi didn't even get a touch on his assignment because by the time he got his fat *** out there the guy had already passed by.

for being such a mammoth, starks shows up to camp in pretty good shape every year....his problem is hes a pussy, a giant ****ing soft teddy bear.

meanwhile kemo tries to KILL people with his rage problems even if it means he gets flagged or misses an assignment and colon wants to fight literally everyone

steelcitysfinestXL
05-14-2010, 11:16 AM

Eh, at 6'8'' he came into camp last season looking PRETTY trim and your saying that didnt help him either. Im not sure its his size as it is so much his reads and lack of aggression. But, im not a Starks hater... just wished he had a lil more Willie Colon or Chris-K in him... cause he seems a lil soft!

--- Added 5/14/2010 at 09:16 AM ---

for being such a mammoth, starks shows up to camp in pretty good shape every year....his problem is hes a pussy, a giant ****ing soft teddy bear.

meanwhile kemo tries to KILL people with his rage problems even if it means he gets flagged or misses an assignment and colon wants to fight literally everyone

beat me to it K!!! Chris K needs to learn a bit of self control cause when he actually gets a hat on his man... its wrap-city the basement!