PDA

View Full Version : Sweed Out for Season

Iron City South
05-11-2010, 07:17 PM
See ya Limas .. it was fun while it lasted. :evilshake:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/football/nfl/05/11/steelers-sweed.ap/index.html?xid=si_nfl

Posted: Tuesday May 11, 2010 5:53PM;
Updated: Tuesday May 11, 2010 5:53PM

Steelers' Sweed out for season

WR Limas Sweed has gone on injured reserve with a torn left Achilles
To replace Sweed, Pittsburgh signed former undrafted WR Isaiah Williams

PITTSBURGH (AP) -- Steelers wide receiver Limas Sweed has been placed on the injured reserve list because of a torn left Achilles tendon, a move that means he cannot play this season.

Sweed was waived after he was hurt during a May 2 minicamp practice. He was placed on the reserve/injury list after clearing waivers.

Sweed, a second-round draft pick from Texas in 2008, missed the final two games of last season for personal reasons. He finished the season with one catch.

To replace Sweed, the Steelers signed wide receiver Isaiah Williams, who signed with Baltimore as an undrafted rookie last year but was cut before the season began.

Copyright 2010 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

coldrolled
05-11-2010, 07:37 PM
Williams, 6' 3" 208LBS.. OK, no TO... We found our tall receiver.

Ibleedblk&gld
05-11-2010, 08:36 PM
of course they bring in a no name (unless i'm missing something?), instead of someone like TO...everyone in the AFCN is building, except us...

Big T
05-11-2010, 08:43 PM
:crying:

LarryNJ
05-11-2010, 09:16 PM
Well that sucks... but not enough to bring in TO.

LatrobePA
05-11-2010, 10:09 PM
End of the road for ya Sweed...Sucks I think he'll be a good WR!!

Williams: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isaiah_Williams

Zachintosh66
05-12-2010, 12:24 AM
You people who ask for TO must not have been Steeler fans for long... They wouldnt of touched him even before the Big Ben incident. Not there style, never has been, never will be. Dont forget, we have a "new commitment" to the running game again.

Isaiah = Scrub... Scrub = Another Grocery Bagger come August

On Sweed, At least he wont drop a pass this year!

Dobre Shunka
05-12-2010, 02:19 AM
That tears it.

JensK
05-12-2010, 05:03 AM
Ed Buchette seems to think that Sweed will get a chance again in 2011, but obviously thats just gueesing.

xxxsteelernation
05-12-2010, 06:19 AM
OK i'm a little lost here umm why is sweed still with the team. between him and william gay, i don't know who's worse. i honestly have never seen so many just beautiful passes dropped by one person in a career. sweed yes does have the height but he couldn't catch a steel football even if he had magnents on his hands. he is a waste of space on our roster which could be used for another WR who can catch. hell trade him for demetrius williams of the ravens. most of his williams catches looks like the old randy moss. he don't just let easy ones drop.

greg1964
05-12-2010, 08:20 AM
I'm sorry to see Sweed place on IR, but I also wasn't depending on his this year. He reminds me of Nate Washington, The first three seasons, more drops that big catches, but became a MAJOR part of the last Super Bowl run. I just hope Sweed take this year and gets his head right, because that's were he is struggling. Remember on all those passes dropped, he was wide open.

coldrolled
05-12-2010, 08:58 AM
You people who ask for TO must not have been Steeler fans for long... They wouldnt of touched him even before the Big Ben incident. Not there style, never has been, never will be. Dont forget, we have a "new commitment" to the running game again.

Isaiah = Scrub... Scrub = Another Grocery Bagger come August

On Sweed, At least he wont drop a pass this year!

seriously, when you screw up and lose holmes for a fifth, lose sweed, have 2 new old scrubs. a handful of newbies... keep arians. sometimes you have to break tradition and pay for your mistakes, getting a TO or TO type would be paying for the mistakes made this year. brandon marshall would have been nice too.

they have to fix it with cash.. so bring out the cash.... and get a real receiver...

they must realize they need a big receiver, so they get williams?? hes big 6'-3"

now what? i like the run game idea, but we really dont have the master of the run game in arians... so that may be another pipe dream.

BlitzburghRockCity
05-12-2010, 09:30 AM
This isn't something that at this point is a major blow to the team, other than maybe in the Hopes and Dreams department. I do hope Sweed is able to recover and have a successful NFL career either with us or otherwise. I think he'll probably be brought back next year and he'll be on the team to atleast be given a shot to compete in training camp.

Blazedby92
05-12-2010, 10:58 AM
OK i'm a little lost here umm why is sweed still with the team. between him and william gay, i don't know who's worse. i honestly have never seen so many just beautiful passes dropped by one person in a career. sweed yes does have the height but he couldn't catch a steel football even if he had magnents on his hands. he is a waste of space on our roster which could be used for another WR who can catch. hell trade him for demetrius williams of the ravens. most of his williams catches looks like the old randy moss. he don't just let easy ones drop.

:yellowthumb: AND GOOD RIDDINS BUST anyways:banana:
Don't we have a spot for Redzone now:stirpot: HA HA HA

seriously, when you screw up and lose holmes for a fifth, lose sweed, have 2 new old scrubs. a handful of newbies... keep arians. sometimes you have to break tradition and pay for your mistakes, getting a TO or TO type would be paying for the mistakes made this year. brandon marshall would have been nice too.

they have to fix it with cash.. so bring out the cash.... and get a real receiver...

they must realize they need a big receiver, so they get williams?? hes big 6'-3"

now what? i like the run game idea, but we really dont have the master of the run game in arians... so that may be another pipe dream.

That would be just real smart too change tradition, we did when we kept Ben around but now you want TO I think the post that said whoever wanted TO hasn't been a steeler fan for very long was right

coldrolled
05-12-2010, 11:05 AM
:yellowthumb: AND GOOD RIDDINS BUST anyways:banana:
Don't we have a spot for Redzone now:stirpot: HA HA HA

That would be just real smart too change tradition, we did when we kept Ben around but now you want TO I think the post that said whoever wanted TO hasn't been a steeler fan for very long was right

what does being a fan have to do with wanting a #1 receiver thats over 6'-3"???
thats why we drafted sweed... he was the answer in the beginning. we lost plaxico we picked up sweed.

now read, TO or TO type receiver, logically, TO is the only big receiver left on the FA board..... so his name pops up. well, in steeler tradition we just picked up another newbie williams.. 6'-3" ...

Your right about one thing, bring on Redman, Dwyer, Mendy, Summers, Taylor. we will need them..

BlackGold4vr
05-12-2010, 11:05 AM
of course they bring in a no name (unless i'm missing something?), instead of someone like TO...everyone in the AFCN is building, except us...

We don't need to poach stars from other teams. The Steelers build their own. Who had the better wide receiver corps in our last SB? Who won the game? Winning FB has never been about who looks the best on paper. If that was the case the Redskins and Cowboys would have a lot more Lombardi trophies than they do. I like what we have. A lot of young hungry unproven kids who want to prove they belong in this league. We'll be fine!

:yesnod:

scudmissile29
05-12-2010, 11:07 AM
best of recoveries sweed :(

Zachintosh66
05-12-2010, 05:18 PM

In their eyes they did... his name is Randle El... of course their point of view and ours is different. Sanders will be better than most of you think. Sanders will be starting in 3 years or less. :markit:

Also, "fix it with cash"? Once again something we have never done. Its also something they said they wouldn't do. They have publicly stated they will operate as if a cap is in place. So Throwing cash around isnt an option (just as your TO and B. Marshall fantasies).

Just add Sweed to the list of second round duds now... put a fork in him, HE'S DONE!

coldrolled
05-12-2010, 06:42 PM
In their eyes they did... his name is Randle El... of course their point of view and ours is different. Sanders will be better than most of you think. Sanders will be starting in 3 years or less. :markit:

Also, "fix it with cash"? Once again something we have never done. Its also something they said they wouldn't do. They have publicly stated they will operate as if a cap is in place. So Throwing cash around isnt an option (just as your TO and B. Marshall fantasies).

Just add Sweed to the list of second round duds now... put a fork in him, HE'S DONE!

Were not talking about spending like the jets or washington here.

We have a superbowl QB and defense that can win #7 in any given year right now.

i just say, fix the obvious holes with a good FA for a year. pay for a top WR and/or CB

our super defense and QB may not be around the next year, so every year is special now.

Like any business, you have to spend money to Win...

Zachintosh66
05-12-2010, 07:25 PM
Were not talking about spending like the jets or washington here.

We have a superbowl QB and defense that can win #7 in any given year right now.

i just say, fix the obvious holes with a good FA for a year. pay for a top WR and/or CB

our super defense and QB may not be around the next year, so every year is special now.

Like any business, you have to spend money to Win...

I agree with you to a point... I think our WR's will be fine. They addressed our CB by getting B-Mac back. However i wished they would of brought in a S for when Troy gets hurt again...

xxxsteelernation
05-12-2010, 07:57 PM
I agree with you to a point... I think our WR's will be fine. They addressed our CB by getting B-Mac back. However i wished they would of brought in a S for when Troy gets hurt again...

exactly a good saftey, I wish we could have drafted tj ward a very under rated player, that plays the field just like troy

Clevelandsux
05-12-2010, 11:14 PM
Sweed is a bigtime bust. He's done.

ejsteeler
05-13-2010, 01:39 PM
I see no new additions in our future unless someone else gets hurt. What you see it was you get for this year for the most part. I honestly have no worries right now. You can only plan so much for injuries. You can't have a stacked bench and good starters sucking up all the cash. Just have to count on someone stepping up for injury coverage.

Scorp
05-13-2010, 01:53 PM
When are they going to get rid of this guy?