PDA

View Full Version : Playoff's at least?

xxxsteelernation
05-11-2010, 04:52 AM
Looking at this years schedule if ben is only out for 4 games that would be vs Atlanta, Titans, Tampa Bay, and the ravens. All possible wins even with out Ben under center. My biggest concerns is the replacement for the big play factor that santonio brought. as much as I love antwaanthat randle el his age is catching up. So who's our big play guy Mike wallace? Arnaz Battle? I know it's a far cry from the image the steelers are trying obtain but the NFL is really about winning, (winning creates profits right) but there is one WR that is still treading the WR market that has never really had Legal problems and that is T.O. He was still a primary target for Buffalo last year. and all we would need is a year contract with him. This would be a legitimate shot at a Super Bowl ring. and he is a game breaker mouth or not. Anyhow the rest of the schedule is really not that intimidating if we take care of the division. (somthing that we could not do last year)
Cause other than the Saints and the Patriots and possibly the jets. I honestly think that the jet's are one year wonders. I don't see a repeat for them. So what you all think?

DanRooney
05-11-2010, 05:53 AM
Looking at this years schedule if ben is only out for 4 games that would be vs Atlanta, Titans, Tampa Bay, and the ravens. All possible wins even with out Ben under center. My biggest concerns is the replacement for the big play factor that santonio brought. as much as I love antwaanthat randle el his age is catching up. So who's our big play guy Mike wallace? Arnaz Battle? I know it's a far cry from the image the steelers are trying obtain but the NFL is really about winning, (winning creates profits right) but there is one WR that is still treading the WR market that has never really had Legal problems and that is T.O. He was still a primary target for Buffalo last year. and all we would need is a year contract with him. This would be a legitimate shot at a Super Bowl ring. and he is a game breaker mouth or not. Anyhow the rest of the schedule is really not that intimidating if we take care of the division. (somthing that we could not do last year)
Cause other than the Saints and the Patriots and possibly the jets. I honestly think that the jet's are one year wonders. I don't see a repeat for them. So what you all think?

lol. Arnaz Battle a big play guy? He's a scrub that hasn't done anything in this league. Colbert is trying to make himself look like a genius by picking up garbage from other teams. He's a bit overconfident after he found a solid contributer in Mewelde Moore a few years back. As far as I'm concerned, Arnaz Battle is this guy on youtube:

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6C2OyPpxV_4&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6C2OyPpxV_4&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

The Jets team is ridiculous and the only thing that's holding them back is a very bad quarterback (still better than Dennis Dixon though). They will definitely be in the playoffs at least as a wildcard.

coldrolled
05-11-2010, 09:06 AM

I like the TO idea. we need someone to take the pressure off miller, ward and wallace.
he would do that. i think two years.

i say he takes the spotlight off ben too. he is a celebrity.

BlitzburghRockCity
05-11-2010, 09:13 AM
There's no reason to not expect anything less than atleast playoffs every year. It's not like we have some craptastic team that is rebuilding every year or can't get out of it's own way. Ben will be back after 4 games, we'll atleast be 2-2 at that time, with any luck, 3-1. Troy will be back, Aaron Smith will be back, Hines will be on the field, etc. We'll be fine. If we don't atleast make the playoffs, baring some crazy rash of injuries, then we should be ashamed of ourselves.

As far as the Jets go, I wouldn't call them 1 hit wonders yet. Their defense was crazy good last year and they upgraded big time this year. They will go as Sanchez goes. They'll run the ball, play good defense, and allow him to keep growing and getting better.

steelers4life66
05-11-2010, 09:16 AM
T.O wants a 7 mil a year pay check. We all know the Steelers won't pay it.

K Train
05-11-2010, 09:46 AM
arnaz battle shouldnt even be on the roster imo

LatrobePA
05-11-2010, 09:49 AM
The JETS will be the most overrated team this season. They've loaded a roster behind a very young QB, but we shall see!!

There is no reason the Steelers can't make a run, look at what the Bolts do every year, drop games early on then light it up. I'm personally not to worried!!

K Train
05-11-2010, 09:52 AM
jets got some serious defense though....sometimes thats all you need

LatrobePA
05-11-2010, 10:09 AM

Very true...

jnes1216
05-11-2010, 10:57 AM
arnaz battle shouldnt even be on the roster imo

Yea, I'm clueless on the Battle pick up, I wasnt very happy that they brought back ARE either. I would have been much happier with Torry Holt, a little older yes, but an upgrade over ARE imo. I would not pick TO up for a year, I think he would accept a lesser contract than what he's used to since he hasn't had too many offers, if any, but he drops balls. Plus if the front office wants to run more, they would have to ingrain that in his head when signing so he doesn't give the "I want to be more involved in the offense" speech midway thru the season. I don't know if he would provide any deflection of the press for Ben, because thats too big a story. A TO signing would be big news in the beginning of the year, the Ben flare-up will happen game 5 or 7.

As for the Jets, we play the AFC East this year so we'll see up close. They added two RBs to replace Jones, and got K Wilson to be opposite Revis. That's pretty tough, they were 31st in passing last year and went deep in playoffs. Sanchez may be held back by his knees and he seems to forget about sliding when flushed out of the pocket. But they definitely are at least a wildcard, I think the division title goes to tiebreaker.

Selecting Pouncey over Kyle Wilson could be a whole other posting.

scudmissile29
05-11-2010, 11:02 AM
I would like to see us not reach the playoffs.

Rahim Moore - Deaunta Williams - Quinton Carter

We shall see how many bandwagoners go and support the Ravens lol.

BlitzburghRockCity
05-11-2010, 12:13 PM
Bringing in Battle was as much a move to help make sure we have depth because of how Sweed was as much as it was some foresight in case Holmes went sideways again if you ask me. No guarantee he'll make the roster but with Santonio now gone he'll get his shot to be a 4th or 5th WR at this point.

andyg1984
05-11-2010, 12:17 PM

cromartie and revis are going to be ridiculous ... i am interested to see what they do with your buddy, donavan warren - why did he fall so low ?

--- Added 5/11/2010 at 10:17 AM ---

I would like to see us not reach the playoffs.

Rahim Moore - Deaunta Williams - Quinton Carter

We shall see how many bandwagoners go and support the Ravens lol.

that UNC D this year is going to be fun to watch ... i would say AT LEAST 4 nfl players

scudmissile29
05-11-2010, 12:29 PM
cromartie and revis are going to be ridiculous ... i am interested to see what they do with your buddy, donavan warren - why did he fall so low ?

that UNC D this year is going to be fun to watch ... i would say AT LEAST 4 nfl players

YEAH, the tar heels i think even 1 corner, 1 safety, 1 running back and another play could go in the first round, maybe even top 15 lol

--- Added 5/11/2010 at 10:29 AM ---

Whow i almost forgot about that DT they have.

Lol they will punish teams

K Train
05-11-2010, 12:32 PM

kyle wilson as a NB is just unfair

warren should have stayed at school, hes thin and slow...he needs some more time to develop, he loves the game though and has incredible instincts/ball skills

strong D
05-11-2010, 12:44 PM
1st the jets defense is gonna be absolutely sick this yr.mike wallace is a big play reciever he proved that last yr.i would love to see sanders step up and take the 3rd wr spot.PLEASE PLEASE no t.o. thats the last thing this team needs right now and to be quite honest this isnt the same guy from a couple yrs ago his game has really dropped off

xxxsteelernation
05-11-2010, 01:00 PM
1st the jets defense is gonna be absolutely sick this yr.mike wallace is a big play reciever he proved that last yr.i would love to see sanders step up and take the 3rd wr spot.PLEASE PLEASE no t.o. thats the last thing this team needs right now and to be quite honest this isnt the same guy from a couple yrs ago his game has really dropped off

well ya his game has dropped in the last couple a years compared to he cowboy day's but remember he led the pass happy bill's last year in catches and YAC yards

strong D
05-11-2010, 01:02 PM
well ya his game has dropped in the last couple a years compared to he cowboy day's but remember he led the pass happy bill's last year in catches and YAC yards

thats not saying much

xxxsteelernation
05-11-2010, 01:29 PM
:cope: i know that Mike wallace is a go to guy and has had some big moments. but i'm not sure at least for me he has the experience to help out a learning QB, or even leftwich (in which i have never liked). Becuse if you really think about it Dixon or leftwich is going to be playing or even possibly starting more than 4 games. Ben always goes down atleast 1 or 2 games due to injuries. heals up before playoff's and then sucks it up then. even with the suspension i still see ben getting another concussion or something else. Hell remember the last game of the year last year against the dolphins he messed up his arm pretty bad and yea he played the rest of that game but i don't think if we had anymore games after that in the reg season he would have played. Ben is too prone to injuries. i mean wallace could prove us wrong, but is it worth it waitin and seeing and then have no options for a Go to guy to take the pressure off of ward if wallace has the sophmore slump.

--- Added 5/11/2010 at 11:29 AM ---

i'm not a big holt fan, thought he was just a product of the rams system. but ok that's one WR out of the free agents WR still left is there one that could match a Holmes style attack and make a difference? if so who. because right now my list consist of two WR that could be relied on. that is ward and wallace. battle, sweed, are jokes randle el getting old used very limited. who would u pick up? i think this is our last legitimate year for a super bowl under the current strong build. i think next year ben won't be here. only reason i think he's still here is there no high trade value 4 him

ejsteeler
05-11-2010, 01:33 PM
Playoffs are a very real goal for this team and it should be.
I am afraid of the Jets.....call me crazy, they are going to be tough I think. Granted, we've seen teams (Skins jump to mind) beef up and tank a season before but I just got a hunch about those Jets this time. Meeting them for the AFC crown wouldn't break my heart.....:cope:

jnes1216
05-11-2010, 01:44 PM
As a sidenote: Torry Holt signed with the Patriots, but was available the time we got ARE back in March. Some still available Kevin Curtis (eagles), kelley washington (ravens) mike furrey (lions, browns), lav coles(bengals), javon walker (raiders). Pretty sure these guys have not signed anywhere.

muhsin muhammed (panthers) as well.

SteelDad
05-11-2010, 02:13 PM
Bringing in Battle was as much a move to help make sure we have depth because of how Sweed was as much as it was some foresight in case Holmes went sideways again if you ask me. No guarantee he'll make the roster but with Santonio now gone he'll get his shot to be a 4th or 5th WR at this point.

Dead on here... If you look across the league, many teams will sign a plethora, yes a 'plethora' of receivers for depth. No doubt in my mind that the FO is hoping our rookie from SMU will be able to step into a 3 or 4 spot thus allowing ARE or Battle to go bye-bye.

As for the playoffs, it comes down to two things; can we play defense? I mean real, Steelers defense and can we run the ball effectively not just when we need to, but when we want to. As for the Jets, their defense will be solid, but I think they are going to struggle offensively. Jones is gone leaving Greene who is not exactly a warrior with the bulk of the carries. If they cannot find an able 2nd back they will be in trouble. Too much pressure going to be heaped on Sanchez and I see them struggling to 9-7 or 10-6. I'm not sure I like Ryan being able to handle all of those personalities in the locker room either.

mos07
05-11-2010, 02:38 PM
I think Battle was picked up to sure up the special teams -that is his strong suit - the fact that he is a WR is a small bonus.

As far as TO .....I do not think so. The Rooneys want the circus to leave town; that signing would not help matters.

BlitzburghRockCity
05-11-2010, 02:48 PM
I don't know where all this TO talk comes from, it's not like the Rooney's would ever sign a guy with the disruptive behavior patterns that TO has. Even if he was relatively quiet last year in Buffalo, his attitude alone would be enough to sway them from even considering bringing him into our locker room. Not to mention the money he wants is nowhere near what any team in their right mind should pay him. He's old now, and although he's still productive enough to make an NFL roster, his past will keep the Rooney's far enough away that we'll never see him in the black and gold.

coldrolled
05-11-2010, 03:08 PM
I don't know where all this TO talk comes from, it's not like the Rooney's would ever sign a guy with the disruptive behavior patterns that TO has. Even if he was relatively quiet last year in Buffalo, his attitude alone would be enough to sway them from even considering bringing him into our locker room. Not to mention the money he wants is nowhere near what any team in their right mind should pay him. He's old now, and although he's still productive enough to make an NFL roster, his past will keep the Rooney's far enough away that we'll never see him in the black and gold.

we may not need TO exactly, but we need a player to fill a roll like TO would.

well hopefully our run game will dominate and we will not need the big passing offense.

we can go dink and dunk with the pass game... and just run more.

this year should finish off arians. next year maybe we draft our #1 WR hopefully taller than 6-1..

maybe our #1 pick will be a safety and #2 a great #1 receiver.

Sir Blitzelot
05-11-2010, 03:12 PM

Yeah, I really don't see the Steelers bringing T.O here. With all the headaches that the organization has already dealt with this offseason, I don't see the point of adding another one to the list.

jnes1216
05-11-2010, 03:16 PM
I think Battle was picked up to sure up the special teams -that is his strong suit - the fact that he is a WR is a small bonus.

As far as TO .....I do not think so. The Rooneys want the circus to leave town; that signing would not help matters.

Battle probably came over at the urging of new spec teams coordinator Al Everest - both were in San Fran last couple years.

SteelDad
05-11-2010, 03:45 PM
Battle probably came over at the urging of new spec teams coordinator Al Everest - both were in San Fran last couple years.

Excellent point!

greennick
05-12-2010, 09:30 AM
The JETS will be the most overrated team this season. They've loaded a roster behind a very young QB, but we shall see!!

Kind of reminds me of a certain team in 2004.

--- Added 5/12/2010 at 07:30 AM ---

Spot on, he is only here for his special teams play. The WR capabilities are at best a bonus, at worst a distraction.

K Train
05-12-2010, 10:34 AM
TO isnt a bad guy, never really has been. ad the man just wants a ring (and $5 million per year)...i think any drama is well past him

but he is a shadow of his former self, really really slowed down his last year in dallas, and hes a removed a year from that now

scudmissile29
05-12-2010, 11:07 AM
i am getting mega rahim moore fever.

**** i can think of at least 7 defensive backs that can go in the first round this year, at least 3 to 5 corners and even 3-4 safeties.