PDA

View Full Version : Ward to call it a career...

AZ_Steeler
05-07-2010, 01:45 PM
if... :)
Steelers receiver Hines Ward says he'll call it an NFL career if he wins a third Super Bowl ring.

"I don't want to be like Brett Favre," he told the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. "I don't want to be like Old Yeller, when they take you behind the barn and shoot you."
So if they don't win the Super Bowl this year, how much longer will Ward be around?

V_83
05-07-2010, 01:53 PM
Boy was I about to throw a fit. I hope he plays for maybe 2 years. I'd love him to stay longer, I just don't see that happening.

SnakeEyes43
05-07-2010, 02:27 PM
If we win the big one this year, and make it seven...then Ward retires for sure I bet. I would miss him and his play style, but that would be a great ending for him.

Silverback
05-07-2010, 02:49 PM
To be honest I wouldn't be surprised if we start hearing the retirement rumors after this year win or lose, especially if his hamstring problems become chronic.

SteelDad
05-07-2010, 03:01 PM
To be honest I wouldn't be surprised if we start hearing the retirement rumors after this year win or lose, especially if his hamstring problems become chronic.

Excellent point. If his health is relatively good, then I can see 2, maybe 3 more years. He has always been my favorite so it will be difficult when he finally moves on.

BlitzburghRockCity
05-07-2010, 03:03 PM
Yeah Chris, :wtf: man I was about ready to blow a gasket. Considering the status of our WR's at this point, not having Ward in the lineup this season would be a friggin disaster.

At this point, I could see Ward playing probably another 2 years before hanging it up, that's just my opinion though.

AZ_Steeler
05-07-2010, 03:49 PM
I thought it was a catchy title too! :)

I could really care less how much longer he sticks around, but the only thing I would like to see is that he remains a Steeler until the end.

steelfury455
05-07-2010, 06:14 PM
Been thinking about this but I don't see more than a year or two beyond this season. He has slowed up quite a bit. Pretty crazy how being in the NFL ages a person physically. And he's not even "old"...

Steel Trap86
05-07-2010, 06:35 PM
ahh i think he has 3 solid years in him. he looked fine to me this past season, although he may have slowed up a bit in the past 5 years, he's still our top receiver with holmes gone. he'll have a big year once again in 2010, too bad we won't get to see him leap champ bailey again lol

DanRooney
05-07-2010, 07:48 PM
ahh i think he has 3 solid years in him. he looked fine to me this past season, although he may have slowed up a bit in the past 5 years, he's still our top receiver with holmes gone. he'll have a big year once again in 2010, too bad we won't get to see him leap champ bailey again lol

Haha yeah right. I'm 40% sure he'll retire after this season and 100% sure he'll retire after next. Right now he's flourishing off Ben buying extra time to get him open. He no longer has the speed to do it quick enough himself.

StlersGuy
05-07-2010, 07:57 PM
ok I just saw the titke and about had a heart attack..... not very nice AZ :evilshake::club:

Dobre Shunka
05-07-2010, 09:34 PM
Jolted me AZ! :banging:

If he can keep the injury bug at bay I see no reason he shouldn't play as long as he can. Opposing players consistently name him as the one they hate the most so in my book he's doing something right.

Captcoolhand
05-07-2010, 10:51 PM
well at least when he does he will go down as one of the best WR the Steelers ever had. Not because he went to another team because the Rooneys wouldn't pay him no money. :2cents:

nuclearchihuahuas
05-08-2010, 06:43 PM
I've already seen reports this off-season that Hines has had problems with his hamstrings--I think the hamstrings are going to get him this year--I am willing to bet he misses a few (or more) games because of them...

jnes1216
05-08-2010, 06:50 PM
Whenever he decides to hang them up, I hope the Steelers organization can find a spot on the coaching staff for him. He's a great leader and seems to relish the role of playing mentor.

Steel Trap86
05-09-2010, 07:10 AM
Haha yeah right. I'm 40% sure he'll retire after this season and 100% sure he'll retire after next. Right now he's flourishing off Ben buying extra time to get him open. He no longer has the speed to do it quick enough himself.

i'm a f*ckin homer when it comes to 86 man lol.i don't know about after this season...you could be right about next tho..we'll see

DanRooney
05-09-2010, 07:32 PM
i'm a f*ckin homer when it comes to 86 man lol.i don't know about after this season...you could be right about next tho..we'll see

Yeah I love Hines. I really hope Emmanuel Sanders is tough, physical and has sure hands just like him. We really need him to step up and be his eventual replacement.

Real Deal Steel
05-09-2010, 07:52 PM
Yeah I love Hines. I really hope Emmanuel Sanders is tough, physical and has sure hands just like him. We really need him to step up and be his eventual replacement.

From your mouth to God's ear. :tt02:

He has the tools physically.

DanRooney
05-09-2010, 08:19 PM
From your mouth to God's ear. :tt02:

He has the tools physically.

He's 5'11, the same height as Holmes but is listed at 180 lbs. I'd like to see him bulk up to 190 before the season starts and eventually up to 195.

Real Deal Steel
05-09-2010, 08:29 PM
He's 5'11, the same height as Holmes but is listed at 180 lbs. I'd like to see him bulk up to 190 before the season starts and eventually up to 195.

Easy Grav, easy. :yesnod:

Let's not ask for so much so soon. But I definitely like that idea.

JensK
05-10-2010, 04:35 AM
Easy Grav, easy. :yesnod:

Let's not ask for so much so soon. But I definitely like that idea.

5 lb shoudnt be that hard... Hes got like 5 months to do so. Im not going to say he'll be better at 190 or 195, but he would probably be a little tougher and resistant to injuries, although i dont really want him to hurt his overall deep speed too much.

ejsteeler
05-10-2010, 12:16 PM
I could really care less how much longer he sticks around, but the only thing I would like to see is that he remains a Steeler until the end.

:ditto:
Anythng we gat out of Hines is bonus material at this point. I say 2 tops.

Clevelandsux
05-12-2010, 05:41 PM
First of all don't start any rumors. But Ward is 34, you know he can't play forever.

coldrolled
05-12-2010, 05:45 PM
First of all don't start any rumors. But Ward is 34, you know he can't play forever.

rice was what 43?