PDA

View Full Version : Tip Sheet: Steelers' healthy returns

AZ_Steeler
05-07-2010, 02:42 PM
No matter how many games in which troubled quarterback Ben Roethlisberger participates in 2010, the Pittsburgh Steelers know they have to play better, more resourceful defense than they did a year ago.

And they know that to do so, they will require the returns to health of strong safety Troy Polamalu and end Aaron Smith.

The two stalwarts appeared in only 10 games combined in 2009, Polamalu falling victim to a sprained left knee (which did not require surgery but was twice injured) and Smith to a torn right rotator cuff. Not surprisingly, Pittsburgh dropped to 9-7 and failed even to qualify for the playoffs after having won Super Bowl XLIII the previous season.
Rest of story... (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=5170387)

LatrobePA
05-07-2010, 03:00 PM
No Troy this D sucks! That's why I think they should of tried to find a badass in the draft or FA...

BlitzburghRockCity
05-07-2010, 04:28 PM
No Troy and no Smith = this defense sucks. We did hold our own when Aaron was out a few years ago with his knee but still, we're much better with him in the lineup. As far as Troy goes, it's like night and day, our secondary goes into instant suck mode when he's not in the lineup. That needs to change, our DB's need to step up.

Still, it amazes me how much 1 player can make an entire unit so much better. Troy is that guy. Ed Reed is that guy for the Ratbirds too.

LatrobePA
05-07-2010, 04:41 PM
I agree 100%, our whole D runs around Troy....That's a no, no if you ask me!

No Troy and no Smith = this defense sucks. We did hold our own when Aaron was out a few years ago with his knee but still, we're much better with him in the lineup. As far as Troy goes, it's like night and day, our secondary goes into instant suck mode when he's not in the lineup. That needs to change, our DB's need to step up.

Still, it amazes me how much 1 player can make an entire unit so much better. Troy is that guy. Ed Reed is that guy for the Ratbirds too.

Real Deal Steel
05-08-2010, 01:26 AM
I'm going to say it again:

When you can't run the ball effectively, you can't dominate the time of possession. Therefore your defense is on the field a lot longer.

Get the running game back, and watch how much better the defense plays when it's not on the field as much.

Also....Special teams were as responsible as the defense for our short commings last season.

DanRooney
05-08-2010, 05:25 AM
I'm going to say it again:

When you can't run the ball effectively, you can't dominate the time of possession. Therefore your defense is on the field a lot longer.

Get the running game back, and watch how much better the defense plays when it's not on the field as much.

Also....Special teams were as responsible as the defense for our short commings last season.

In the Steelers losses:

Steelers 14 - Bears 17
ToP: 30:26 - 29:34

Steelers 20 - Bengals 23
ToP: 34:42- 25:18

Steelers 12 - Bengals 18
ToP: 30:52 - 29:08 -

Steelers 24 - Chiefs 27
ToP: 44:07 - 22:25

Steelers 17 - Ravens 20
ToP: 35:56 - 32:22

Steelers 24 - Raiders 27
ToP: 27:11 - 32:49

Steelers 6 - Browns 13
ToP: 30:45 - 29:15

So there was only ONE game out of the 7 losses where we did not have the better time of possession and you're saying our defense was tired? What does that tell you about our D...

Silverback
05-08-2010, 02:46 PM
In the Steelers losses:

Steelers 14 - Bears 17

Steelers 20 - Bengals 23

Steelers 12 - Bengals 18

Steelers 24 - Chiefs 27

Steelers 17 - Ravens 20

Steelers 24 - Raiders 27

Steelers 6 - Browns 13

So there was only ONE game out of the 7 losses where we did not have the better time of possession and you're saying our defense was tired? What does that tell you about our D...

Haha great stats. Face it Polamalu is our only weapon in the secondary.

nuclearchihuahuas
05-08-2010, 08:05 PM
Haha great stats. Face it Polamalu is our only weapon in the secondary.

I really hope he learns to play with that knee brace on--we absolutely cannot play quality D without him! :cope:

Real Deal Steel
05-09-2010, 02:04 AM
In the Steelers losses:

Steelers 14 - Bears 17

Steelers 20 - Bengals 23

Steelers 12 - Bengals 18

Steelers 24 - Chiefs 27

Steelers 17 - Ravens 20

Steelers 24 - Raiders 27

Steelers 6 - Browns 13

The only thing you've shown me is that most of the games we lost is because the offense didn't come through. How is it the defenses fault when the offense scores only 17 points, 6 points, 12 points and 14 points in games????

The defense lost a game giving up 13 points and that's the defenses fault?? The defense also gave up only 17 points in a game and 18 in another and that's the defense fault??

I find it funny how you also completely ignored that fact that special teams gave up alot of those scores on punt return and kick off TD"s. So that's the defense fault too??

SnakeEyes43
05-09-2010, 02:20 AM
We won games in 2008 when the offense was often scoring less than 14 points...

The only thing you've shown me is that most of the games we lost is because the offense didn't come through. How is it the defenses fault when the offense scores only 17 points, 6 points, 12 points and 14 points in games????

The defense lost a game giving up 13 points and that's the defenses fault?? The defense also gave up only 17 points in a game and 18 in another and that's the defense fault??

DanRooney
05-09-2010, 03:21 AM

I find it funny how you also completely ignored that fact that special teams gave up alot of those scores on punt return and kick off TD"s. So that's the defense fault too??

Well now that I've proven your ToP theory totally bogus, you can rant about the offense.

I didn't ignore anything. Our special teams coverage was the worst in the league. Want to know another thing that was the worst in the league? The Steelers 4th quarter defense (well close, 30th I believe from the top of my head). I just wanted to show you that our D sucking *** in the 4th quarter had nothing to do with other teams having a better ToP. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that William Gay and Tyrone Carter were absolute turds and Farrior is too old to be covering RBs on dumpoffs.

The offense was the least of our problems last season.

sawbilly
05-09-2010, 07:35 AM
IMO, the whole team went down the tubes last year,, offense, defense and special teams, the question you have to ask yourself is why, the first half of the season we were 6&2, then what, granted it was'nt a pretty 6&2 but it was 6&2, when the inmtaes start running the asylum ala BEN, you have major problems, the steelers pride themselves in locker room chemistry, there is none since the bus left, you have to have your eyes closed to think that everyone gets along, Reed, and Ben are not the most loved guy's in that room, when you lose to the teams the steelers lost to in the second half of the season, you have to raise your eyebrows a little.

Real Deal Steel
05-09-2010, 12:50 PM
Well now that I've proven your ToP theory totally bogus, you can rant about the offense.

I didn't ignore anything. Our special teams coverage was the worst in the league. Want to know another thing that was the worst in the league? The Steelers 4th quarter defense (well close, 30th I believe from the top of my head). I just wanted to show you that our D sucking *** in the 4th quarter had nothing to do with other teams having a better ToP. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that William Gay and Tyrone Carter were absolute turds and Farrior is too old to be covering RBs on dumpoffs.

The offense was the least of our problems last season.

Sorry Gravity but you haven't proven anything. Those games were close BECAUSE OF OUR TIME OF POSSESSION!! If it wasn't for that, we wouldn't have been in those games because the special teams and offense betrayed us. Not so much the defense.

The only thing that can negate a team from winning when it dominates TOP is special teams giving up TD's and/or the offense hardly scoring at all. And both of those were the cases for us last season. It's rare to have a special teams play THAT poorly but they did. We STILL need to dominate time of possesion and get our special teams up to just an average level if nothing else. We do that then were plus 2-3 games.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that our secondary doesn't need an upgrade because William Gay is dog poop for sure. But the defense was made to look worse then it was from special teams and the offense not scoring TD's. That's all.

--- Added 5/9/2010 at 10:50 AM ---

But our secondary got an upgrade with Mcfadden coming back and I"m hearing that they are looking to try and move Gay up out of and not even have him cover the WR in the slot.