PDA

View Full Version : Should the Steelers really go back to smash mouth?

BlitzburghRockCity
05-06-2010, 04:56 PM
Hines Ward recently said he'd be in favor of a more traditional running offense like we used to have; citing his main reason as that we had 4000 yd QB, 1000 yd rusher, and 2 1000 yd WR's and we still didn't make the playoffs last year. Tomlin has said he wants to get back to running the ball more efficiently in key situations. Colbert has said similar things as well. The offensive line, as we all know, would love to run the ball more often as any line worth it's weight would want.

So the question is, will we really turn back to traditional Steeler football with 3 yds and a cloud of dust, or will be still a pass happy group like last year, or somewhere in the middle? I think Tomlin's comments of running more efficiently in key situations means more than some might think. He knows we need to run but he also knows how effective our offense is in the passing game and how much Ben means to this team through the air. I'm quite certain he won't go completely in the opposite direction either. My best guess is that we'll be somewhere in the middle. There is too much talent on this team catching the ball to just run it all the time and not use those passing options. Ward, Wallace, Heath Miller, and Mendenhall out of the backfield is too tempting to go back to smash it down your throat and then pass when we have too type of deal, if you ask me.

There does need to be more of a commitment to the running game, especially in short yardage, where we all know we sucked last year. Russel was money 2 years ago in that role but when he left so did any short yardage advantage that we had. I would like to see us run more but at the same time we have become so potent through the air that you can't exactly abandon that either. We haven't had balance on this team really since Bettis retired. When Ben joined this team, we could run and pass, and during his last season and the run to SB XL we showed signs of life of becoming a real passing team to compliment his running in short yardage. Either way, there's no way you gather all this talent to throw the ball only to give up and just run again. If we can be balanced and be able to do both, there is no doubt we'll be back in the playoffs this season. If we don't do that we're screwed again.

IMO though, the old style Steeler offense, 3 yds and a cloud of dust, is indeed gone forever. Today's NFL doesn't allow you to just that; it's all about balance.

sawbilly
05-06-2010, 05:10 PM
I'm from the old school, run first, the only coach that owns 4 super bowls, tells it like this, if you pass the ball 50-60% of the time your odds of winning are right at 30%, if you run the ball 50-60% of the time your odds of winning the game are right at 80%, we definately have the weapons to throw the ball, but last year should have told you, 3 1,000 yard recievers, a 1,000 yard back and we watched steelerLESS playoffs, if the emperor Chas is right and you can't doubt him with 4 super bowl titles, then run the ball and control the game, it also gives your defense an advantage

jnes1216
05-06-2010, 05:20 PM
i think we should run the ball more, but i don't have a lot of confidence in bruce arians playcalling. He's a pass first mentality, the red zone play calling was horrible imo. 28tds by air 10 by run or something like that last year. Kugler, new oline coach seems like they will run the ball more but a nice balance of 50/50 would prob. be optimal. Late losses in games last year is where the run game would have helped. I hope Dwyer steps in and is productive.

strong D
05-06-2010, 05:34 PM
the better question should be can they run the ball more effectively.If they can be efficient running the ball im all for it but this o-line has not shown the strength upfront to run the ball.Defensive fronts blew our line up last year during running situations and that a problem.I personally believe if u can give mendy a hole he is gonna cause damage,but he hasnt been getting the holes to run through.:imho:

jnes1216
05-06-2010, 05:39 PM
it would be nice to hear some progress on previous picks like Hills and Urbik to see if they are coming along to open up those holes for Mendenhall.

HUNT4SEVEN
05-06-2010, 05:45 PM
I'm from the old school also, but we are in a pass happy league now i say we need to be balance with our offense depending on the game situation:yesnod:, running to maintain a lead is ok, but if we need to pass to maintain the league then that's what we have to do:imho:

BlitzburghRockCity
05-06-2010, 05:55 PM
That is another good point, is Arians capable of calling an offense that can be effective both running and passing. How much of our lack of success running is due to poor execution on the field and how much is due to play calling runs that aren't effective. Is the offensive line up to the challenge of actually being able to get out and run block effectively?

MattyVfromCT
05-06-2010, 05:58 PM
Hines Ward recently said he'd be in favor of a more traditional running offense like we used to have; citing his main reason as that we had 4000 yd QB, 1000 yd rusher, and 2 1000 yd WR's and we still didn't make the playoffs last year. Tomlin has said he wants to get back to running the ball more efficiently in key situations. Colbert has said similar things as well. The offensive line, as we all know, would love to run the ball more often as any line worth it's weight would want.

So the question is, will we really turn back to traditional Steeler football with 3 yds and a cloud of dust, or will be still a pass happy group like last year, or somewhere in the middle? I think Tomlin's comments of running more efficiently in key situations means more than some might think. He knows we need to run but he also knows how effective our offense is in the passing game and how much Ben means to this team through the air. I'm quite certain he won't go completely in the opposite direction either. My best guess is that we'll be somewhere in the middle. There is too much talent on this team catching the ball to just run it all the time and not use those passing options. Ward, Wallace, Heath Miller, and Mendenhall out of the backfield is too tempting to go back to smash it down your throat and then pass when we have too type of deal, if you ask me.

There does need to be more of a commitment to the running game, especially in short yardage, where we all know we sucked last year. Russel was money 2 years ago in that role but when he left so did any short yardage advantage that we had. I would like to see us run more but at the same time we have become so potent through the air that you can't exactly abandon that either. We haven't had balance on this team really since Bettis retired. When Ben joined this team, we could run and pass, and during his last season and the run to SB XL we showed signs of life of becoming a real passing team to compliment his running in short yardage. Either way, there's no way you gather all this talent to throw the ball only to give up and just run again. If we can be balanced and be able to do both, there is no doubt we'll be back in the playoffs this season. If we don't do that we're screwed again.

IMO though, the old style Steeler offense, 3 yds and a cloud of dust, is indeed gone forever. Today's NFL doesn't allow you to just that; it's all about balance.

i'm all for balance. we definitely need to run more, BUT not to the extent of 70-80% of the game. we have weapons in the passing game and we need to use them. but we need to run a lot more to wear down defenses, control the clock. plus that makes our passing game so much more lethal by setting up the play action. either way, no matter what the game plan, arians needs to stop being so predictable. it seems that defenses know exactly what is coming

Gettysburgh_Steel
05-06-2010, 07:15 PM
I think the team that you are playing dictates what you can and can not do . Some games you might need your passing attack . The next week you might need the running game . A lot of times you might need both . Special teams could easily win you a game one week , and turn around the next week and lose you a game . It is not just run or pass . It involves 3 phases that must be efficient . Defense , offense , and special teams . Not in that order maybe , but you have to be complete in every phase . I think it has been that way 90% of the time forever . If your team is strong in all 3 phases of the game , chances are you will leave town with a win . Defense wins games . Defense loses games on the other hand . Same can be said for each of the phases of the game .I beleive it all starts with the special teams . That is the beginning , and it all goes from there . I think you should have the capability to run wheen needed , pass when needed , or press special teams into play when needed .

LarryNJ
05-06-2010, 08:22 PM
Tomlin has said he wants to get back to running the ball more efficiently in key situations

I don't think it's a matter of more..it's the short yardage situations. I believe we were 55%-45% pass/run... with a stronger short yardage we may get to 53-47

coldrolled
05-06-2010, 10:29 PM
i think we should run the ball more, but i don't have a lot of confidence in bruce arians playcalling. He's a pass first mentality, the red zone play calling was horrible imo. 28tds by air 10 by run or something like that last year. Kugler, new oline coach seems like they will run the ball more but a nice balance of 50/50 would prob. be optimal. Late losses in games last year is where the run game would have helped. I hope Dwyer steps in and is productive.

if arians doesnt like to run the ball, and ben has to scramble an improvise on half the pass plays called... why do we still have bruce... for what.. bens play toy?

jnes1216
05-06-2010, 10:33 PM
ben's scrambling has nothing to do with the play call. its due to his wanting to make a big play

Dobre Shunka
05-06-2010, 11:56 PM
I'm very old school, in terms of I like to run that ball, and be one of "those" teams that still has a functional FB (LOL). But lets face it, RBs like the Bus, come along once in an era and is that NOT what we're all missing? Can you imagine this team and the Bus?!?!

Reality sets in, there is no Bus and this is a passing league in which we can compete and win. I would also lay odds that our % of run last year was higher than most perceive. Still, I think we all want to see that % up with the likes of Mendy, Dwyer, Summers, and Moore. Yes, I know, & "Redzone" Redman too.

Balance yea, but let's not go overboard cuz you can never go back. Even w/ Holmes gone we still have one of the best in the biz over the middle in Ward, and Wallace who can get down the field before the D knew he left. H*ll, I believe the kid led the league w/ YPC last year, round 20 give or take? Top that off w/ Miller and it's still a potent pass threat.

For Pitt fans (myself included) it hard to get use to, a QB that can actually pass_use him.

Real Deal Steel
05-07-2010, 12:32 AM
Tomlin has said he wants to get back to running the ball more efficiently in key situations

I don't think it's a matter of more..it's the short yardage situations. I believe we were 55%-45% pass/run... with a stronger short yardage we may get to 53-47

This is ideally what we want. I think we were 70-30 last season. But if we can get it to 55-45, we would be super potent on offense and great in time of possession.

andyg1984
05-07-2010, 01:45 AM
we obviously need to be balanced but this is a passing league .. the rules are set up to favor throwing the ball .. smashmouth = outscored a few years from now imo and i think it is pretty obvious

DIESELMAN
05-07-2010, 05:00 AM
The Steelers smashmouth offense of the 70's was never 3 yards and a cloud of dust, lets get that straight. The league has changed a lot since then and the Steelers up until a few years ago have tried to stay with the power running game, thats just Steelers football. No matter how much this league changes, you will always win with a combination of a good running game and a great defense.

LarryNJ
05-07-2010, 07:17 AM
I think we were 70-30 last season.

I know it often seemed that high but it wasn't.

964 Plays
536 Passes 55.6%
428 Rushes 44.4%

Although I guess if you takes Ben's 40 rushes and assume maybe 5 of those were QB sneaks the number of called passes.

571 Passes 59%
393 Rushes 41%

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/pit/2009.htm

BlitzburghRockCity
05-07-2010, 09:15 AM
The 70's teams weren't 3 yds and a cloud of dust, no, that was the Cowher era up until the last few years of it when Ben was drafted. During that time it Foster, Morris, Bettis, etc. just run run run the Ron Earhhardt offense and mix in some QB tosses when we had too.

K Train
05-07-2010, 09:20 AM
woooooooooooooo steelers smashmouth football woooooo pound the rock we need a powerback like bettis wooooooooooo

i ****ing hate this **** lol

BlitzburghRockCity
05-07-2010, 09:40 AM
:lol: I knew you'd be all over us getting back to smash mouth Ktrain, you're such an old school, power back, kinda guy!

K Train
05-07-2010, 09:54 AM
its just not the formula to win, they do need to run more, but just a little more. its not the passes that hurt us last year it was bad calls at inopportune time, which is what arians brings to the table.

i fully expect mendenhall to take over the world and get nearly 1300 yards this year

coldrolled
05-07-2010, 10:08 AM
its just not the formula to win, they do need to run more, but just a little more. its not the passes that hurt us last year it was bad calls at inopportune time, which is what arians brings to the table.

i fully expect mendenhall to take over the world and get nearly 1300 yards this year

right K. we need to smash out the 3rd and 1,2,3 and force our will running in the redzone. other than that ben can pass 60 yards a drive is fine. but we need to inflict our will when it counts.

JollyRob68
05-07-2010, 10:18 AM
Smashmouth with balance. It was great that we had 2 1000+ WR,TE set record for receptions and QB got his wish for a Carson Palmer type Offense and 4000+ yards. WE DIDN'T MAKE THE PLAYOFFS. Go back to your Identity & Attitude. Pound it and Pass it,Keep it balance and if Arians wont follow directions Fire his ***.

DIESELMAN
05-07-2010, 10:29 AM

Even though I'm old school and love to see big power backs plowing over LBers, wearing down the defenses for those big gains later in the game, I'm all for changes, if they work. Your right, bad calls at inoppurtune times was our downfall, the tryin to be cute play calls, and the make no ****ing sense play calling at the goal line.

Smashmouth with balance. It was great that we had 2 1000+ WR,TE set record for receptions and QB got his wish for a Carson Palmer type Offense and 4000+ yards. WE DIDN'T MAKE THE PLAYOFFS. Go back to your Identity & Attitude. Pound it and Pass it,Keep it balance and if Arians wont follow directions Fire his ***.
True, all those stats and we didn't make the playoffs, so many reasons and excuses for that. The biggest thing is not just balance but also play calling that keeps the defense thinking what we are going to do next instead of already knowing. I'm not talking about trying to be cute plays aka Bruce Arians, I'm talking try more screens and especially designed roll outs for Ben etc.....its so ****ing aggravating watching the Steelers play and we as fans know just like the defense knows, what the next play is. Quit being so ****ing predictable!!!

K Train
05-07-2010, 10:38 AM
the stats dont mean anything with percentages or anything like that when you are a competitive team and lose by 3-7 points every week. they just loved to keep it close.

insane defense with an aerial attack to match and a capable defense>anything you could use the word smashmouth in.

bad calls and poor defense were the downfall this year, unfortunately we will still have plenty of bad calls with arians

coldrolled
05-07-2010, 10:46 AM
Hopefully they will handle Arians contract like they did Parkers at the end of the year.

K Train
05-07-2010, 10:47 AM
probably give him a lifetime extension for the thirst for my tears

cmerrifield
05-07-2010, 10:52 AM
I think we need to be able to play smash mouth football, I feel like its the last thing needed for a balanced offense. We have a RB who can catch, a TE who is great, a possession reciever and a speedster to open up the field. If teams know we can run it at them too, we will be a complete offense that can close games with the running game.

Layin the wood
05-07-2010, 11:10 AM
Its going to be tough running the ball the first 4-5 games of the season because teams are going to force us to pass. If Leftwich/Dixon can get a passing game going then defenses will have to respect us. Im all for a 60/40 run to pass ratio thats what wins championships!!!

andyg1984
05-07-2010, 01:22 PM
im still confused how our record is tied directly to passing the ball when the D and ST were the ones to blame

cmerrifield
05-07-2010, 01:54 PM
im still confused how our record is tied directly to passing the ball when the D and ST were the ones to blame

Partly because if we could run the ball to close the game, the D wouldnt have to go back on the field.

coldrolled
05-07-2010, 02:13 PM
Partly because if we could run the ball to close the game, the D wouldnt have to go back on the field.

2002 Playoffs Browns and Arians VS Steelers...

Browns lead 20 points. They keep passing.. Steelers catch up and win...

now the smelly sock is on our foot. control the clock and win...

ejsteeler
05-07-2010, 02:18 PM
2002 Playoffs Browns and Arians VS Steelers...

Browns lead 20 points. They keep passing.. Steelers catch up and win...

now the smelly sock is on our foot. control the clock and win...

:yellowthumb:

Real Deal Steel
05-08-2010, 01:19 AM

Well, let me say that they need to be more productive in their rushing attempts.

Iron City South
05-08-2010, 09:38 AM
Arians is not intellectually capable to handle the job he is currently employed in. In fact, he's not a professional level coach .... he's more suited to Division II colleges.

If Arians lost his job tomorrow, there's not another NFL team out there that would pick him up to be their OC ..... That alone should tell you everything you need to know about his strategic thinking, creativity, and game planning.

The sooner the Steelers get back to their game of insanely physical and intimidating defense coupled with a "move the chains" pound the rock offense while gouging with the pass ...

The sooner we see 7 ....

BlackGold4vr
05-08-2010, 12:19 PM
Arians is not intellectually capable to handle the job he is currently employed in. In fact, he's not a professional level coach .... he's more suited to Division II colleges.

If Arians lost his job tomorrow, there's not another NFL team out there that would pick him up to be their OC ..... That alone should tell you everything you need to know about his strategic thinking, creativity, and game planning.

The sooner the Steelers get back to their game of insanely physical and intimidating defense coupled with a "move the chains" pound the rock offense while gouging with the pass ...

The sooner we see 7 ....

Outside of football there might not be another single thing we can agree on, but when it comes to Steelers football I agree with almost everything you have to say!

:plus1:

SnakeEyes43
05-08-2010, 12:51 PM
I'm from the old school, run first, the only coach that owns 4 super bowls, tells it like this, if you pass the ball 50-60% of the time your odds of winning are right at 30%, if you run the ball 50-60% of the time your odds of winning the game are right at 80%,

Tell that to Peyton Manning...

Stlrs4Life
05-08-2010, 02:46 PM
I definitely want to go back to the smash mouth football days.

coldrolled
05-08-2010, 03:25 PM
Tell that to Peyton Manning...

manning and brady pass more.. but their passing is the dink and dunk. its almost a run..

ben has to wait for 15 - 30 yard runs down the field.

ben could stand there all day and do the dink and dunk, but then what?

LatrobePA
05-08-2010, 05:18 PM
Yes we should...Tomlins job is on the line if he lets goofball Arians run the whole offense show again this year!! Just a gut feeling, why else hasn't he signed a extension??

jnes1216
05-09-2010, 12:06 AM
I think the question has now become -- Is Arians capable of directing a smash mouth attack? I dont think he understands that he is asking too much of his o-line to "catch" rushing d-lineman while in pass protection for the bulk of the game, (or the majority of a march down the field) and then automatically have them switch to run mode in the red zone. The o-line has to get in a groove with their run blocking the same as with qb's and wr's. He has to more effective in mixing early on in the game.

coach
05-09-2010, 11:50 AM
Its going to be tough running the ball the first 4-5 games of the season because teams are going to force us to pass. If Leftwich/Dixon can get a passing game going then defenses will have to respect us. Im all for a 60/40 run to pass ratio thats what wins championships!!!

I think the other team strategies do partially define what you need to do to win and I completely agree with this.
Also, look at the defenses in the AFC North now and how they have been building and look at how we have been building. Do you think that running the ball against Baltimore is a recipe for success next year when they just added Cody to that line? Do we have the horses on the O-line for that to work?
I like running, but I like winning so I think we are a few years away from returning to power running. In the meantime, especially with BA, I think the best we can expect is for the pass to set up the run (IMO). My thoughts.

Real Deal Steel
05-09-2010, 12:54 PM
Yes I still think we have to TRY and establish the run to set up the pass. But how can you be so fearful of the Ravens when they have the worse CB in the AFC?

I think with our upgrade on the O-line, it offsets their upgrade on the d-line. With that said, the Ravens CB's are dog poop and we will exploit that like every other team will.

Ravens also have upgraded their WR, but we've upgraded our secondary.

I still see us as the better team.

coldrolled
05-27-2010, 07:29 PM
I think the question has now become -- Is Arians capable of directing a smash mouth attack? I dont think he understands that he is asking too much of his o-line to "catch" rushing d-lineman while in pass protection for the bulk of the game, (or the majority of a march down the field) and then automatically have them switch to run mode in the red zone. The o-line has to get in a groove with their run blocking the same as with qb's and wr's. He has to more effective in mixing early on in the game.

this was what mendenhall said... in was in the gazette..

Mendenhall listed some of the advantages of having a fullback blocking for him instead of a tight end either on the line or in the backfield.

"A fullback in the backfield, they can kind of see a lot of things a tight end probably couldn't, being so tight. And them being ballcarriers, they know what you're trying to do, they know where you're trying to go and they can get there before you. So, a lot of times, say the point of attack is one place, the fullback and you will end up in same place after reading out of a play."

Mendenhall said it is too early to tell if there is a renewed commitment to the ground game. Naturally, he said, all backs want a commitment to the run.

"As a running back, you want the ball in your hands, you want to run the ball. That doesn't seem to be our focus, you know what I mean? But whatever's called to do, however this offense is formed and shaped, we'll be willing to do that."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10147/1061155-66.stm#ixzz0pAh4w3QF

the part where he says. you know what i mean????

is he saying arians is still being stubborn??

B&G4EVER
06-29-2010, 03:34 PM
the tradition in the steel city is a strong d and a smash mouth running game so i say bring back the 70's

Blitzburghpete
06-29-2010, 03:49 PM
Anyone remeber the season we went 15-1 with a rookie QB ( ben )
Results speak for themselves, time of possesion is KING. We dominated the league in time of possestion that year, which meant not only did we score, we took loads of time off the clock so the other teams had less time to answer back at us. Other teams offences had to hurry their gameplan along, which all that did is tee off our defence ( who were fresh froom sitting on the sidelines for ages ) and low and behold our Defence was number 1 that year in most catagories too.

All of the above stemmed from the ability to play smash mout football. It has MANY postive spin offs for the rest of the team and is simple WINNING football.

I couldn't care less if Ben only throws 10 passes a game, and Mendenhall/ and the rest of the backs carry 30 times a game, simple facts are it's less prone to errors, changes the other teams game plan, and suits our defence and WINS games!

Frankly i'm shocked at how many people are happy for a pass happy offence around here. Yeah they can score laods of points quick through the air, but then that just gives the other team loads of time to get back at us.

Smash mouth football, 8/9 minute drives, swarming defence, simple.

steelfury455
06-29-2010, 05:26 PM
Anyone remeber the season we went 15-1 with a rookie QB ( ben )
Results speak for themselves, time of possesion is KING. We dominated the league in time of possestion that year, which meant not only did we score, we took loads of time off the clock so the other teams had less time to answer back at us. Other teams offences had to hurry their gameplan along, which all that did is tee off our defence ( who were fresh froom sitting on the sidelines for ages ) and low and behold our Defence was number 1 that year in most catagories too.

All of the above stemmed from the ability to play smash mout football. It has MANY postive spin offs for the rest of the team and is simple WINNING football.

I couldn't care less if Ben only throws 10 passes a game, and Mendenhall/ and the rest of the backs carry 30 times a game, simple facts are it's less prone to errors, changes the other teams game plan, and suits our defence and WINS games!

Frankly i'm shocked at how many people are happy for a pass happy offence around here. Yeah they can score laods of points quick through the air, but then that just gives the other team loads of time to get back at us.

Smash mouth football, 8/9 minute drives, swarming defence, simple.

Problem is we don't have that closing defense or the o-line from the 15-1 season that made up for Ben. I truly think we'll see an enourmous year out of Mendi. He's gonna have to carry the team thru six games and more until Ben gets his legs back...

Hburg
06-29-2010, 09:39 PM
Steelers need an O-line that can block for the run, that will also help them develop an O-line that is strong enough to block for a pass too (instead of the turnstiles we saw last year ... and the year before).

Stats from previous years showed that the Steelers fared better in winning games when Ben passed fewer times (less interceptions and turnovers).

Willie Parker was misused. He was best suited to play as a 1-2 with Bettis. A true thunder and lightning deal. When he tried to bulk up and run the goal line it was tragic.

The Steelers are not controlling the time of possession and therefore are tiring out their defense and losing games in the fourth quarter, or falling behind quickly and having to catch up...which they can't always do.

The NFL today is a pass happy, pass-first league that actually glorifies the passing game because of the big play potential and high-scoring. But that doesn't mean that every team should follow that formula. Just because one person wins a lot of money on a game show doesn't mean you should forget about the millionaires who made their money over years of "pounding the rock" so to speak. They of course did not grind their way to wealth entirely, they made big plays in opportune times, but they did not constantly rely on a single method of advancement. Even the 18-0 Patriots that relied almost solely on their high-flying passing game became 18-1 when it really counted.

Running backs may be more expendable in the league today, they have only a short shelf life from all the abuse they face. But they still can be effective. Balance is key.

The Steelers have the legacy of an intimidating and dominating team. Even as they have become more pass happy that legacy continues in the likes of Hines Ward breaking jaws and laying out linebackers as a wide receiver. However, there is no better way to gradually beat the fight out of an opponent than to line up and punch them in the mouth as an offensive runs the ball down their throat.

Balance is key, if the defense is ready for the run the pass will surprise them. If they prepare for a pass the run will flatten them. If the stereotypical example of smashmouth is perceived as obsolete, than innovate and create version 2.0. That's how to succeed, find a new way to win (fairly) that opponents don't expect or prepare for.

BuFu

Dobre Shunka
06-29-2010, 09:58 PM
I feel we don't need to run more as our passing game is a huge threat w/ Ben in there, but I do want that big back that can get to the goal line even when the D knows he's coming.
Other than that, feel they should stick to their offensive scheme and not try to run the ball more. In today's league 40% give or take is plenty.

Steelers_All_Day_43
07-05-2010, 02:56 AM
Maybe with a new line coach, things will be better. I just hope a great coach like Tomlin doesn't lose his job over BA.