PDA

View Full Version : For Steelers youth, it's time

BlitzburghRockCity
12-03-2006, 01:26 AM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_482463.html

Steelers fans that settled in front of their TVs last Sunday with Thanksgiving leftovers ... well, let's just say they got a little more extra turkey than they wanted.
An embarrassing 27-0 loss to the Ravens in Baltimore made the playoffs a more realistic goal for next season, not this one, for the Steelers.

And with the defending Super Bowl champions all but out of the running for postseason play, a look at the team's priorities is in order -- and specifically whether getting some younger players experience should be a top one for the 4-7 Steelers.

"That usually happens when teams quit," said quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, whose team plays hosts to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers today at 4:15 p.m. "I don't think one guy in this locker room, one coach is going to quit. We're going to continue to fight and do everything we can to win."

Bill Cowher echoed a similar sentiment.

Then again, the Steelers coach doesn't have much of a choice but to largely go with the players who have gotten the Steelers to this unfathomable point.

NFL teams don't have minor-league affiliates, and practice squads are generally a place where they stash extra bodies, not prospects.

Circumstances, however, will give the Steelers a chance to evaluate some of their younger players during the final five games of the season.

That is especially true of one prospect whose polish still lags behind his potential.

Nate Washington, who is two years removed from playing for Division II Tiffin, will make his first NFL start against Tampa Bay, and even he can hardly believe it.

It's time for the young guys to show us what they got, every good and bad play they make will go a long way towards their roster spot next camp.

AZ_Steeler
12-03-2006, 01:43 AM
I hope there aren't to many changes that take place... I'm all for the younger guys getting more time but I don't want to see the rest of their games be any thing like last weeks game!

BlitzburghRockCity
12-03-2006, 02:05 AM
My heart can't take any more games like last week !

K Train
12-03-2006, 02:48 AM
at least TB is as sorry as us