PDA

View Full Version : Kevin Mawae

strong D
05-05-2010, 12:32 PM
just wanna get a feel for wat others think about bringin mawae in for a yr.
i personally think it would be great he could start at center and pouncey start at RG and the young guy could learn from the old vet.Mawae is a beast and even at his age he still makes pro bowls

BlackGold4vr
05-05-2010, 12:37 PM
I like the idea of getting him signed on a 1 year deal and he would be an excellent mentor to Pouncey and an immediate improvement over Hartwig.

K Train
05-05-2010, 12:46 PM
just posted this on another board, it would be amazing even in his old age he would blow hartwig out of the park and playing next to pouncey and kemo it would be sex

strong D
05-05-2010, 12:48 PM
i mean he is still one of the best centers in football and one of the best all time imo

LatrobePA
05-05-2010, 12:57 PM
I'd take him for one yr to help groom the line we have. But it won't happen, they said they were done bringing in vets...

steelcitysfinestXL
05-05-2010, 01:00 PM
Wouldnt hate it: We have our future at Center in Pouncey. At his advanced age he's a 1-2 years guy at best. He's still a top notch AFC center... plus with him and Ward we have two of the dirtiest players in recent years (voted on by the NFL players, not my opinion) on one offense!!!

strong D
05-05-2010, 01:02 PM
it would be an immediate improvement to the running game

coldrolled
05-05-2010, 01:02 PM
I'd take him for one yr to help groom the line we have. But it won't happen, they said they were done bringing in vets...

Perfect idea.... a one year plan at center, we should do the same in getting TO or Coles..

Give the rookies the extra year to learn... still think this same idea for the WR's is needed more than at center.. we lost holmes, hartwig is still here...

i say do both.

strong D
05-05-2010, 01:03 PM
Perfect idea.... a one year plan at center, we should do the same in getting TO or Coles..

Give the rookies the extra year to learn... still think this same idea for the WR's is needed more than at center.. we lost holmes, hartwig is still here...

i say do both.

hartwig is a complete bum

SnakeEyes43
05-05-2010, 01:05 PM
I would love it...and since he isn't getting any bites from other teams and he's clearly frustrated by the whole situation, he might come to Steel City for a reasonable price. And yes, it would immediately make the run game better. I'm all for bringing in the big boy.

Big T
05-05-2010, 01:25 PM
It makes sense, so it won't happen....

Gettysburgh_Steel
05-05-2010, 01:36 PM
If the man still wants a job , and is willing to not come at a high price , he could have a shot at winning the job . Bring him in for a look see . See what he does . He obviously would not hurt the team . We have brought worse prospects in for a look see . I say if the price is right , then why not .:2cents:

strong D
05-05-2010, 01:37 PM
If the man still wants a job , and is willing to not come at a high price , he could have a shot at winning the job . Bring him in for a look see . See what he does . He obviously would not hurt the team . We have brought worse prospects in for a look see . I say if the price is right , then why not .:2cents:

bring him in for a look see and he might win the job? he would be the starter as soon as the ink hit the paper

BlitzburghRockCity
05-05-2010, 01:37 PM
I agree it would make sense in a lot of ways but I don't see Tomlin doing it unfortunately. If I'm the front office I'm doing everything possible to get as many quality bodies on the roster this summer and let them all fight it out for the 5 starting spots for the line. Bringing in a vet like that would be an immediate upgrade at Center and even for just 1 year it would be awesome experience for a guy like Pouncey to learn from one of the best.

Zachintosh66
05-05-2010, 01:49 PM
get used to it... Hartwig isnt going anywhere

steelcitysfinestXL
05-05-2010, 02:35 PM
get used to it... Hartwig isnt going anywhere

I agree, as much as i LOATHE him, he's ours til contract time.

JollyRob68
05-05-2010, 02:47 PM
Bring him in,With Sweed getting hurt we have a spot open. Actually were 10 people over the limit but rookies wont count until the sign.
I say Sign Mawae to help teach Pouncey(great Idea) and Bring in L. Coles or wait and see what vets get released. I'd really like to see what our young WR can do. Even Hines Ward reminded us that we won the Super Bowl with Hines,EL & Cedrick Wilson.
Pound The Rock and be Balanced and were back on top.

strong D
05-05-2010, 02:48 PM
hartwig could backup mawae i honestly dont think he would be asking for too much

SteelDad
05-05-2010, 02:49 PM
Unless we have an injury in the off-season or early in training camp, I don't see it happening. Great idea? Yes. Absolutely as long as the price was right.

DanRooney
05-05-2010, 04:49 PM
Tomlin making a smart move in free agency? Don't bet on it guys.

LatrobePA
05-05-2010, 05:29 PM
No fair man! He signed graybeard Joey Galloway last season! lol

coldrolled
05-05-2010, 05:33 PM

it looks like the bengals and ravens are trying hard to fill the gaps and open their leads between the afcn teams.

hopefully, we all have no clue as to what Arians and Tomlin see on offense right now...

or are planning..

we are just fans... :cope:

SteelCurtainYinzer
05-05-2010, 07:41 PM
I didn't read everybody one's response but I would say he is a fine upstanding individual. Would be worth the pick up and the fact this team needs leaders they would be blessed to have a guy like this in the locker room.

Big T
05-05-2010, 07:45 PM
Im never one to wish an injury on someone, but here's to hoping hartwig goes down with a torn ACL in the next couple weeks(or sometime before Mawae signs somewhere else).

strong D
05-05-2010, 08:28 PM
Im never one to wish an injury on someone, but here's to hoping hartwig goes down with a torn ACL in the next couple weeks(or sometime before Mawae signs somewhere else).

:yellowthumb:

JollyRob68
05-06-2010, 01:23 PM

I'm not hoping for any injury but would like them to sign him. Hartwig then becomes a Insurance backup unless Pouncey gets up to speed quicker. He should start at guard and if we had Kevin at center we would get those 1-2 yards for first downs.

--- Added 5/6/2010 at 11:23 AM ---

:yellowthumb:

Strong D
Thanks for the topic. I asked it on another forum and right now the results are more for him than not.

BlackGold4vr
05-06-2010, 02:23 PM
Who better to mentor our new center than a guy who has been one of the best centers in the league for the last decade? And if we signed Mawae I would expect that Hartwig would be cut. He has never been good and if players like Mawae are having trouble being signed who would sign a terd like Hartwig?

strong D
05-06-2010, 02:33 PM
it just makes sense to me i dont believe he will be askin for too much and its an immediate improvement to the running game it would give us the best interior line in football with kemo,mawae,and pouncey at RG

Real Deal Steel
05-07-2010, 12:29 AM
it just makes sense to me i dont believe he will be askin for too much and its an immediate improvement to the running game it would give us the best interior line in football with kemo,mawae,and pouncey at RG

I agree. This needs to happen. Mawae and his technique would be much appreciated.

scudmissile29
05-10-2010, 12:53 PM
He's one of the best centers in the league, he would be a great pickup

Isn't he an ambassador to the league or something

V_83
05-10-2010, 04:39 PM
He the head of the NFL Players Association, or something like that.

strong D
05-10-2010, 11:11 PM
He the head of the NFL Players Association, or something like that.

ya he is like the player rep for the nflpa the way i understand it

izach12
05-12-2010, 04:13 PM
i like the idea but i dont think mawae has any ties to the steelers and in the NFL aging vets go to teams with coaches they are familar with, fancea to the cardz, lendale white to the seahawks, even the OT we got in FA john scott played with the new OL coach we have last year with the bills, so i dont see it happening even though mawae is a future HOFer in my book

Zachintosh66
05-12-2010, 05:25 PM
Why is it EVERY FA has to come to the 'burg in so many fans eyes?

Kevin is old... we already have one suspect center. No reason to bring in a "seasoned vet" that has to learn an all new system and line calls. Hes only voted to the PB b/c of his past and his name. He was a good Center... now lets move on.

Id rather give Doug L a shot than bring in this guy... and Doug is a fringe-roster bubble player.

strong D
05-14-2010, 07:00 PM

Kevin is old... we already have one suspect center. No reason to bring in a "seasoned vet" that has to learn an all new system and line calls. Hes only voted to the PB b/c of his past and his name. He was a good Center... now lets move on.

Id rather give Doug L a shot than bring in this guy... and Doug is a fringe-roster bubble player.

maybe because he is still one of the 3 best centers in football even at his age.you bring him in for a yr not only is it a huge upgrade but he could also be our center of the futures(pouncey) mentor

jnes1216
05-14-2010, 07:06 PM
I was surprised to learn that Mawae has only missed 3 games in the last 4 years. One year in Pitts. couldn't hurt. He did block for a 2000yd rusher last year.

Zachintosh66
05-14-2010, 10:34 PM
maybe because he is still one of the 3 best centers in football even at his age.you bring him in for a yr not only is it a huge upgrade but he could also be our center of the futures(pouncey) mentor

i disagree... hes one of the 3 MOST POPULAR, not best (mangold, grove, saturday, o'hara, kreutz, kalil and birk in no particular order)

strong D
05-14-2010, 11:15 PM
i disagree... hes one of the 3 MOST POPULAR, not best (mangold, grove, saturday, o'hara, kreutz, kalil and birk in no particular order)

well then we will just have to disagree cause imo he is def top 3

86WARD
05-16-2010, 10:53 PM
meh ... he'd be a nice addition, but I never thought of it more than 5 seconds. The Steelers aren't known to "rent" players...

strong D
05-18-2010, 12:43 PM
a nice addition idk how anyone could think this would not be an upgrade.Hartwig is a complete bum he brings this whole o-line down with him

harpo
05-18-2010, 03:27 PM

Agreed.....:tt02:

strong D
05-18-2010, 03:40 PM
i want one person to explain to me y this would be a bad idea. this should be interesting

harpo
05-18-2010, 04:25 PM
I say 'no' because Pouncey can learn all he needs through studying film and listening to coach Kugler. I'm sure that Hartwig is a smart guy that know the plays, audibles, protections, reads, etc...but sometimes your intelligence doesn't carry over with your performance on the field, and vice-versa. People need to understand that just because you're not great on the field doesn't mean you don't know the facets of the game. The best coaches (teachers) either never played the game, or those who played weren't great players. That's a trend that you see in every team sport. It's not a given that Mawae would be a great teacher and mentor. As for Pouncey, his biggest adjustment will be to learn the plays and adjust to the speed, size and strength of NFL players. He will do just fine.

Also consider the fact that Mawae is underweight as a center, which is probably the reason why he played effectively against teams in his division, which by the way, ran 4-3 defenses. How would he fare against Hampton, Ngata, etc. every year if he were in their division? Perhaps that's why the Jets replaced him with Nick Mangold.

A lighter center would equate to more trouble for our offensive line. The Steelers are headed in the right direction with what they have. There's no need to waste money on a 40 year old 'has been'.

strong D
05-18-2010, 09:08 PM
I say 'no' because Pouncey can learn all he needs through studying film and listening to coach Kugler. I'm sure that Hartwig is a smart guy that know the plays, audibles, protections, reads, etc...but sometimes your intelligence doesn't carry over with your performance on the field, and vice-versa. People need to understand that just because you're not great on the field doesn't mean you don't know the facets of the game. The best coaches (teachers) either never played the game, or those who played weren't great players. That's a trend that you see in every team sport. It's not a given that Mawae would be a great teacher and mentor. As for Pouncey, his biggest adjustment will be to learn the plays and adjust to the speed, size and strength of NFL players. He will do just fine.

Also consider the fact that Mawae is underweight as a center, which is probably the reason why he played effectively against teams in his division, which by the way, ran 4-3 defenses. How would he fare against Hampton, Ngata, etc. every year if he were in their division? Perhaps that's why the Jets replaced him with Nick Mangold.

A lighter center would equate to more trouble for our offensive line. The Steelers are headed in the right direction with what they have. There's no need to waste money on a 40 year old 'has been'.

dude seriously first nobody is worse than hartwig and dont expect pouncey to start at center this yr probly more like rg and mawae can play any nose tackle in the nfl and def better than hartwig can. and how can u call him a has been mawae is still one of the top centers in the league and will go down as one of the best ever to play the position

Dobre Shunka
05-18-2010, 10:15 PM
No room for him.

strong D
05-18-2010, 11:41 PM
No room for him.

u ppl just dont make any sense

Zachintosh66
05-19-2010, 12:09 AM
i think strong D has a chubby...

strong D
05-19-2010, 12:15 AM
i think strong D has a chubby...

i just dont understand how "football fans" can bash one of the best o-lineman in the nfl

JensK
05-19-2010, 04:18 AM
i just dont understand how "football fans" can bash one of the best o-lineman in the nfl

There is a difference between bashing a player, and not wanting him on your team...

harpo
05-19-2010, 07:48 AM
dude seriously first nobody is worse than hartwig and dont expect pouncey to start at center this yr probly more like rg and mawae can play any nose tackle in the nfl and def better than hartwig can. and how can u call him a has been mawae is still one of the top centers in the league and will go down as one of the best ever to play the position

First and foremost, I know that Hartwig is not the answer at the center position. Secondly, I don't expect Pouncey to start at center this year. I never said or implied that he would. Third, Mawae is a 'has been' because of his age, and by virtue of the fact that he made the Pro Bowl last year on name recognition. If he's as good as some of you are making him out to be, why aren't teams lining up to sign him?

In my opinion, he's no longer one of the top centers in the league; a few years ago, yes....but not today. :imho:

You asked for an explanation and I gave you mine. You don't have to agree with it. :greengrin:

Zachintosh66
05-19-2010, 08:38 AM
First and foremost, I know that Hartwig is not the answer at the center position. Secondly, I don't expect Pouncey to start at center this year. I never said or implied that he would. Third, Mawae is a 'has been' because of his age, and by virtue of the fact that he made the Pro Bowl last year on name recognition. If he's as good as some of you are making him out to be, why aren't teams lining up to sign him?

In my opinion, he's no longer one of the top centers in the league; a few years ago, yes....but not today. :imho:

You asked for an explanation and I gave you mine. You don't have to agree with it. :greengrin:

but i do! :yellowthumb:

Dobre Shunka
05-20-2010, 02:44 AM
u ppl just dont make any sense

You do?
He would need to come in, learn a new system, adapt to new players, and adjust to an entirely new offense, not too mention multiple QBs.

All this @ the grand soon to be age of 40! What kind of grandfather clause are we going to sign him to?

This is a classic case of risk outweighing reward. Eco 101:2cents: