PDA

View Full Version : Sweed injured!--Update 5/3, undergoes surgery on ankle

SteelerEyeZ
05-02-2010, 01:33 PM
Just got the text sewed injured Achilles in last day of camp.....anyone know anything I'm driving n stuck with just my Droid

Gettysburgh_Steel
05-02-2010, 01:40 PM
nothing here . Just his luck though , hope it is not true . This is his year to bring it or not , that would suck .

Ironman
05-02-2010, 01:47 PM
Well I hope you're sitting down, wait, you're driving... anyways, Sweed suffered a very serious injury- here's a link: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10122/1055067-100.stm

Not lookin' good, their sayin' could be a year-long recovery... Put a fork in Sweed, his season is over

by the way, it also says he was put on the IR last year due to serious "emotional issues".. wow.

SteelerEyeZ
05-02-2010, 01:50 PM
Ahhhhh what the hell...we can't get a break. Well if he's out then I give more credit to Colbert on the draft.

Gettysburgh_Steel
05-02-2010, 01:52 PM
Damn man , Sweed has no luck at all . Oh well , we might have to go in another direction . I was waiting to see what he could bring too . !$?!$#%$#^#$%&^% it .

NorCalSteel
05-02-2010, 01:52 PM
aargh.. that poor kid I was hoping he would have a great year :banging:

BlitzburghRockCity
05-02-2010, 01:56 PM
I just got the text as well. Getting all these WR's in FA and the draft looks the front office look even smarter now; relying on Sweed to step up without having a backup plan could have been disastrous.

You have to feel bad for they guy, having an injury like this kills your entire season if it is indeed torn. Having said that though, it's not like he was super productive and we're missing out on his big plays. Hopefully he makes a full recovery and can put all his problems behind him. Credit the front office for not giving up on him this offseason and keeping him on the roster to give him a shot.

Steel Trap86
05-02-2010, 01:58 PM
The bad luck continued today for Steelers wide receiver Limas Sweed, who left the final minicamp practice with what appears to be a serious Achilles tendon injury, coach Mike Tomlin revealed.

Sweed, the team's second-round draft pick in 2008, was mounting a comeback from some emotional issues that caused the Steelers to place him on injured reserve for the final two games of last season.

If the tendon is ruptured, it likely would mean that Sweed could not play in 2010.

Just cut him, he's done here. I remember Larry Bird tore his achilles and it forced him into early retirement, otherwise he would have played another 4 years. Even though it's not a confirmed tear yet, he's still f*cked for 2010. As soon as he went pro he just hasn't been working out.

Real Deal Steel
05-02-2010, 02:03 PM
Let's see what our 3rd round pick has..Sanders. He should get a real opportunity now.

nuclearchihuahuas
05-02-2010, 02:06 PM
Wow--that's rough! If it weren't for his bad luck he'd have no luck at all! I just cannot see the Steelers sticking with him after this--maybe its not as bad as we all think--just hoping :cope:

SnakeEyes43
05-02-2010, 02:09 PM
Wow, this blows...I was really hoping the kid would step up and show us, and the coaches, what he is capable of. Too bad, I was really looking forward to him having a 2nd chance to prove himself. Now he'll be cut for sure next year, if he does end up missing the entire 2010 season that is.

coach
05-02-2010, 03:06 PM
If it so happens that he misses this year, what is his contract situation and what do you think the Steelers could re-sign him for? I know he has had monumental struggles, but the kid won't be getting big money from anyone soon. I am sure he will be affordable. Is he worth it?

DanRooney
05-02-2010, 03:10 PM
If it so happens that he misses this year, what is his contract situation and what do you think the Steelers could re-sign him for? I know he has had monumental struggles, but the kid won't be getting big money from anyone soon. I am sure he will be affordable. Is he worth it?

He's cut for sure this time if he's out for the season. You don't pay a guy millions of dollars for potential and no production. So long Limas Scissorhands.

Steel Trap86
05-02-2010, 03:16 PM
if he tore his achilles, he'll be on IR this season and then cut immediately.

Dobre Shunka
05-02-2010, 03:46 PM
Outlook, not so bright for Sweeeeeeeeeeeed!

Sir Blitzelot
05-02-2010, 03:57 PM
Just heard the news, what a tough break. I was really hoping that this year would be his breakout season. I wish Sweed a speedy recovery, and now it's time for Sanders to step up.

steelersbabex25
05-02-2010, 04:10 PM
COOL. Great thing we don't have Holmes anymore.

Gettysburgh_Steel
05-02-2010, 04:36 PM
Barring an official medical report , this could be the straw that broke the Camels back , so to speak . Sad if true , and unfortunate . But it is what it is . We must continue to prepare for our season no matter what the circumstances . That is the reallity of the situation . Roll him out of the way , we have a game to win . Reality says it all . Someone else will need to step in , and fill the "need 4 sweed" .

HUNT4SEVEN
05-02-2010, 04:47 PM
Antonio Brown and Sanders have to step their games up this year, Looks like Battle makes the team for sure now, i feel bad for Limas and i was hoping he would show out this year,It looks like this is it for him here in Pittsburgh, i just hopes he doesn't end up in our division next year...

Gettysburgh_Steel
05-02-2010, 04:57 PM
When reality sets in , it is the **** . Theres nothing else but . Square it in the face and move on . Nothing else left now . Any hopes or dreams he may have entertained could be gone now . Course we have to see how this whole thing plays out though . I have not heard an " official medical prognosis " yet . Still a sliver of hope left .

coldrolled
05-02-2010, 05:54 PM
Sign TO

Gettysburgh_Steel
05-02-2010, 06:01 PM
Wow , LOL , where did that come from ?

DanRooney
05-02-2010, 07:02 PM
Looks like 2 years from now Sweed will only be brought up for shits and giggles of how much of a bust he's been.

Gettysburgh_Steel
05-02-2010, 07:52 PM
I want to break out now and say a couple of things . First off , Sweed was a bust ! He had every chance to make his life better , but did not . I can't tell people what to wish or hope for , but if you were wishing and hoping for sweed , you got your sperm factory crushed . Big time i might add . Nothing like a nice shot in the balls to bring someone back down to earth . Busts happen all the time . They will continue to happen too . Sweed had ample time and opportunities to show what he was bringin to Pittsburgh . Lets face it , he brought a gettin open , drop the ball , kind of personality . Funny how things work out . I think he is now dropping out . All signs point to NO SWEED !!!!Somebody had to be man enough to come out and say it . So i did ! Like it , or lump it !!!!!!

--- Added 5/2/2010 at 05:45 PM ---

Sweed bitterly sucks . Who cares what team he goes to as long as he quits clogging up a roster spot . We need that spot for a contributor . Sorry Sweed , nice knowin ya . Now you can go have a carreer any where you choose . Never scared anybody no how .Drop the ball , right to ya , piece of crap . Good luck with your carreer .

--- Added 5/2/2010 at 05:52 PM ---

I am sorry it happened like this , but the writing was on the wall . Some did not want to read it .

Big T
05-02-2010, 09:00 PM
This truly breaks my heart....

LatrobePA
05-02-2010, 09:12 PM
The hits keep coming!

DIESELMAN
05-02-2010, 09:24 PM
When we as fans keep hoping and praying for a player to finally live up to his so called potential, and the player keeps failing himself, the team and the fans, then its time to say good-bye. Their are players with less talent, who know the meaning of dedication, practicing your skill sets and "wanting" it who deserve a roster spot more then Sweed does. Good bye Limas Sweed!!

Stlrs4Life
05-02-2010, 10:29 PM
Just cut him, he's done here. I remember Larry Bird tore his achilles and it forced him into early retirement, otherwise he would have played another 4 years. Even though it's not a confirmed tear yet, he's still f*cked for 2010. As soon as he went pro he just hasn't been working out.

We can't cut him if he is injured.

Steel Trap86
05-02-2010, 10:58 PM
We can't cut him if he is injured.

i know, it's looking like he'll be back on IR again. what i meant was cut him when the season finishes

75Steeler
05-02-2010, 11:25 PM
Ohhhhh Chit...now I have a groin injury.... I won't be able to jump up and down when Ben scores a TD or Hines breaks a jaw! :lol:

Gettysburgh_Steel
05-03-2010, 12:39 AM
I know everyone has been high on him , I never really made a choice either way . He had the separation thing goin on , but that is all. He is gonna get what he worked for all the long .Free ticket out of Pittsburgh . The writing is on the wall . Read it please . We can not wait around now , for a talent that shows up here and there .I will almost solidify , that we will never know how good he could have been , because he will not be here . I think the time we wasted already has held us up a bit . Shipping costs , or whatever , he needs to find a new team . Anyone who thinks i'm wrong just keep your eye on the prize . He is nothing , i repeat , nothing in Pittsburgh . Go , leave , sorry , thankyou . Where ever you feel strong , go ! Just leave our team alone . Way alone .
Strong words i know , but truly ,seriously , justified . LEAVE SWEED , AND HAVE A NICE LIFE .LOSER !!!!!!!!

SnakeEyes43
05-03-2010, 12:48 AM
:duh:

JollyRob68
05-03-2010, 03:17 AM
That sucks,I liked the kid and Hines aint getting no younger. He has bad HAMSTRING ISSUES. Most likely his last season and people wondered why we drafted 2 WR.

Aussie_Steel58
05-03-2010, 06:29 AM
No word as yet on just how serious the tendon injury actually is. Here's hoping it's not as bad as feared and that he'll come back strong. Dealing with depression is not easy, let me tell you, and now this. You have to give the guy props for making a statement of intent before the injury to come back strong this season. I hope he still gets a chance to do just that. And for all those dissing him, hey, nobody gets injured on purpose and last time I looked he was still wearing the Black & Gold and is still one of us. So how about cutting him a break here and wishing him the best instead of all the negative 'get out of town' crap.

Blazedby92
05-03-2010, 09:13 AM
Like I have said for a while now, he will never be anything but a bust, he has the talent but he just has a black cloud over his head.
Good luck on the road to recovery and the road out of Pitt and thanks for all the good memories.

The biggest highlight of his career was holding up that black and gold jersey his rookie year.:evilshake:

LatrobePA
05-03-2010, 09:56 AM
coulda woulda shoulda, we'll never know!

SteelCityKid5
05-03-2010, 10:11 AM
Gettysburgh_Steel (http://www.steeleraddicts.com/forum/member.php?u=1235) , I . am . just . wondering . what . prize . to . keep . my. eye . on. if . I . think. youre. wrong. ?

It takes the average wideout in this league to pan out around year 3. Im still going to give him one last shot. Also dont speak for "Pittsburgh" or "Steeler fans" cause you dont have the authority to do that. Yes, I can understand your frustration on dropped balls but hes been injured and has had personal issues and yet to you he's a "loser"? How old are you 12?

I'm no homer, I call players out when needed to but, the whole "Free ticket out of Pittsburgh . The writing is on the wall . Read it please . We can not wait around now , for a talent that shows up here and there .I will almost solidify , that we will never know how good he could have been , because he will not be here . I think the time we wasted already has held us up a bit . Shipping costs , or whatever , he needs to find a new team . Anyone who thinks i'm wrong just keep your eye on the prize . He is nothing , i repeat , nothing in Pittsburgh . Go , leave , sorry , thankyou . Where ever you feel strong , go ! Just leave our team alone . Way alone .
Strong words i know , but truly ,seriously , justified . LEAVE SWEED , AND HAVE A NICE LIFE .LOSER !!!!!!!!" didnt sit well with me.

Blazedby92
05-03-2010, 10:51 AM
It takes the average wideout in this league to pan out around year 3.

Like I said before yes that is right BUT, it doesn't take a WR three yrs to learn to catch the ball. You guys even said he can get open which is probably the hardest thing for a WR to do and he runs good routes and knows how to block so apparently he knows what to do EXCEPT the most important thing, CATCH THE DAMN BALL SO in my honest opinion his 3 yrs are up and good riddins to him or maybe he can play DB for us because our DB's can't catch either.

Heck you even have Emmanuel Sanders as your avatar so you must think he is good enough to start in Sweeds spot 4th WR

Gettysburgh_Steel
05-03-2010, 11:07 AM
Gettysburgh_Steel (http://www.steeleraddicts.com/forum/member.php?u=1235) , I . am . just . wondering . what . prize . to . keep . my. eye . on. if . I . think. youre. wrong. ?

It takes the average wideout in this league to pan out around year 3. Im still going to give him one last shot. Also dont speak for "Pittsburgh" or "Steeler fans" cause you dont have the authority to do that. Yes, I can understand your frustration on dropped balls but hes been injured and has had personal issues and yet to you he's a "loser"? How old are you 12?

I'm no homer, I call players out when needed to but, the whole "Free ticket out of Pittsburgh . The writing is on the wall . Read it please . We can not wait around now , for a talent that shows up here and there .I will almost solidify , that we will never know how good he could have been , because he will not be here . I think the time we wasted already has held us up a bit . Shipping costs , or whatever , he needs to find a new team . Anyone who thinks i'm wrong just keep your eye on the prize . He is nothing , i repeat , nothing in Pittsburgh . Go , leave , sorry , thankyou . Where ever you feel strong , go ! Just leave our team alone . Way alone .
Strong words i know , but truly ,seriously , justified . LEAVE SWEED , AND HAVE A NICE LIFE .LOSER !!!!!!!!" didnt sit well with me.

I was not directing anything toward you , but sometimes you have to call it like you see it .I have never been against Sweed , for the love of GOD , Sweed has been against himself . I don't think we will wait around for him to come around and be the type of player everyone thought he could be .There is not time for that now . Hence "the writing is on the wall " .Like it or lump it , Sweeds days in Pittsburgh are likely through . Thats my take on the matter , whether you agree or not , will not make any difference in the matter . Simply just a frustrated fan , voicing his opinion , plain and simple . You did forget about the part of him clogging up a roster spot . Wonder why that was ?

andyg1984
05-03-2010, 01:13 PM
feel real bad for him, the worse part about this is that it will inevitably re-ignite his depression ..

time for col sanders to serve it up ..

coldrolled
05-03-2010, 01:46 PM
feel real bad for him, the worse part about this is that it will inevitably re-ignite his depression ..

time for col sanders to serve it up ..

We still need a TO.. 6-3 225 deep threat...

Someone to keep the seconday honest...

andyg1984
05-03-2010, 02:06 PM
if u r going to deal w/ TO you need to make sure you get the ROI .. we would need ben for that imo , i would not be opposed to TO at all if the price is right btw

TampaSteelGirl
05-03-2010, 02:15 PM
I was kind of anxious to see what Sweed was going to bring this year...Im disappointed and i'm sure he is..hope it's not as serious as they think.

JollyRob68
05-03-2010, 02:23 PM
We still need a TO.. 6-3 225 deep threat...

Someone to keep the seconday honest...

I just said in another post not to be surprised if we signed TO or L Coles. Then Again we drafted 2 WR and I like Tyler Grisham but I dont think Ward is going to finish the season with those bad Hamstrings.So another Vet would be smart or give the newbies their chance.

TampaSteelGirl
05-03-2010, 02:30 PM
I just said in another post not to be surprised if we signed TO or L Coles. Then Again we drafted 2 WR and I like Tyler Grisham but I dont think Ward is going to finish the season with those bad Hamstrings.So another Vet would be smart or give the newbies their chance.

I could definatley see Coles...wouldn't mind that at all but not sure how everyone would get along with T.O...although maybe he would kinda lighten things up in there...interesting...

Blazedby92
05-03-2010, 02:30 PM
We get rid of one diva and everyone wants to bring in another, FO won't do it.
We are fine even when Sweed was here we still didn't have a receiver so what's the difference.

Let's go Sanders

coldrolled
05-03-2010, 03:16 PM
if u r going to deal w/ TO you need to make sure you get the ROI .. we would need ben for that imo , i would not be opposed to TO at all if the price is right btw

the spot lights would turn off ben a bit also. to is a show all his own..

he is probably to much noise for us, but we do need the 6-3 225 receiver.. sweed is history.

DIESELMAN
05-03-2010, 03:54 PM
No way we deal for another drama queen. With all the drama thats happened so far, getting rid of Holmes and whats goin on with Ben, the Rooneys are fed up with all the BS. The FO knew what they were doing with drafting WR's and bringing Randle El and Battle in here.

nuclearchihuahuas
05-03-2010, 05:53 PM
I'd take T.O. if he can play with duct tape over his mouth! LOL! :lol: He didn't cause too much trouble in Buffalo did he? I do not remember hearing of any major fiascos--maybe he's gotten a small clue?

cmerrifield
05-03-2010, 06:50 PM
The Steelers Depot guy just sent out a link via twitter that says athletes with therapy can return after 3 months with therapy. So Sweed might still be able to play.
http://www.emedicinehealth.com/achilles_tendon_rupture/page11_em.htm

lloydfan4life
05-03-2010, 07:45 PM
No word as yet on just how serious the tendon injury actually is. Here's hoping it's not as bad as feared and that he'll come back strong. Dealing with depression is not easy, let me tell you, and now this. You have to give the guy props for making a statement of intent before the injury to come back strong this season. I hope he still gets a chance to do just that. And for all those dissing him, hey, nobody gets injured on purpose and last time I looked he was still wearing the Black & Gold and is still one of us. So how about cutting him a break here and wishing him the best instead of all the negative 'get out of town' crap.

Good post! :clap:

I feel bad for ya, Sweed!
Here's wishing you the best. :cope:

SnakeEyes43
05-03-2010, 07:47 PM
Sweed is undergoing surgery to repair a torn or ruptured achilles tendon. Sucks....

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d817f07ce&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

nuclearchihuahuas
05-03-2010, 08:12 PM
Sweed is undergoing surgery to repair a torn or ruptured achilles tendon. Sucks....

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d817f07ce&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

totally sucks!

andyg1984
05-03-2010, 08:38 PM
the spot lights would turn off ben a bit also. to is a show all his own..

he is probably to much noise for us, but we do need the 6-3 225 receiver.. sweed is history.

yeah, like i said, if ben was here i think we could see better ROI .. imo TO still has some left , albeit not what he was back in the day but you cannot judge any1 who played in BUF last year .. lol ...

i wonder how him and hines would get along, TO would have to be willing to accept his role ...

o well, just a thought ...

75Steeler
05-03-2010, 09:02 PM
I don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet but the NFL Network was reporting late this afternoon that Sweed had the surgery and could make a return this season.

Dee Mca
05-03-2010, 09:25 PM
Good Luck Sweed,
Heres to a speedy recovery and hopefully a third chance with the Steelers.
This just means we will have to run the ball or throw dump passes. Bring back the blue collar days of Steeler football. I hate this offense we are heading towards right now where all we ever do is pass. If I wanted to watch a QB pass 50 times a game I'd Be a Colts fan.

SnakeEyes43
05-03-2010, 09:25 PM
I don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet but the NFL Network was reporting late this afternoon that Sweed had the surgery and could make a return this season.

I posted that "Sweed is undergoing surgery to repair a torn or ruptured achilles tendon."
http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=090...s&confirm=true

The article I posted from NFL.com says that if the injury is severe as the sources say (ruptured tendon) than he will most likely miss the entire season. I was really looking forward to seeing Sweed this season, so if there is new information please post it. This is all I have seen thus far.

Aussie_Steel58
05-03-2010, 10:43 PM
Latest is that he's had the surgery but no real prognosis on recovery time :

While itís not outside the realm of possibility, Sweed is highly unlikely to get on the field in 2010. Considering he reeled in just one ball before getting injured last season, itís fair to say that his career could be in jeopardy. Though some recover from Achilles' surgeries earlier than others, the injury will at least land Sweed on the PUP list to start the year, and the odds are heavily against him playing a down in 2010. Players that return too quickly from Achilles' tears also tend to suffer setbacks, or injuries to other lower-body parts.

Well, sometimes these things heal quicker and better than expected too. If he is diligent in his efforts at rehab we still could see him take the field for us sometime in 2010. One can only hope.

I still think he has the potential to be a top receiver for us, so I hope the team gives him time to recover from this and prove that our faith in him was not unfounded. He may be running out of time because you can't live on potential alone forever. But at the same time, injuries happen, and he shouldn't be penalised for getting injured (or ill, as was the case last year). All the best, Limas, for a speedy recovery!

JensK
05-04-2010, 05:04 AM
This is just beyond unbelievable. I really feel bad for that poor kid. This will most likely cost him his career. I don't see him bouncing back from this mentally.

BlackGold4vr
05-04-2010, 01:57 PM
Sweed is officially done in my mind. With the departure of Holmes this was Sweeds opportunity to have a breakout year. Instead this is a golden opportunity handed to Emmanuel Sanders. If Sanders and Wallace play like we expect them to and you know what your getting from ARE and Ward, Sweed will have a very tough time making this team next year. And that is without even knowing who else they will bring in next year.
I feel badly for him because he never really had enough playing time to get comfortable in our offense. Yes, he would have gotten more had he caught the balls thrown to him but in his defense they were few and far between. I don't think he could have had more than a dozen passes thrown to him in his career with the Steelers.

:helmet:

LatrobePA
05-04-2010, 02:59 PM
These are nothing to mess with, he's out IMO!