PDA

View Full Version : 1st Day of Minicamp

Ibleedblk&gld
04-30-2010, 02:14 PM
Pittsburgh Steelers on FB posted, "It could turn out to mean nothing, but in the first practice of steelers minicamp on friday morning, Byron Leftwich was the QB with the first-team offense. And shortly into team drills, Leftwich showed off his strong arm with a deep touchdown pass to Mike Wallace in which he hit the receiver in stride"

also got this wexell text:

"Leftwich opens Steelers minicamp as QB1. McFadden the first LCB. Will Allen snags 1st pick"

good things so far

K Train
04-30-2010, 02:18 PM
cant say leftwich excites me but mcfadden the starter already after they said it was gays job and mcfadden would likely be the nickel...LOL

SteelDad
04-30-2010, 02:30 PM
Love the move with BM getting the CB spot right off the bat. I'm not going to start worrying about QB until August, but I'm confident either way.

SteelCityKid5
04-30-2010, 02:40 PM
This stuff is pretty much irrelevant, like remember last years big minicamp story?

ejsteeler
04-30-2010, 02:41 PM
I probably shouldn't be but, I'm a litte worried on how Troy has to "ease" his way back into practices. I figured he should have been ready by now, but I guess he is better safe than sorry...:dunno:

Still want Dixon as the starter though...but if Lefty beats him out, it's his own fault.

Silverback
04-30-2010, 02:45 PM
How many people did Redman run over?!!?!

lol jk

Layin the wood
04-30-2010, 02:59 PM
Cant wait to see some video and pic's!!!!:tt02:

LatrobePA
04-30-2010, 04:03 PM
This stuff is pretty much irrelevant, like remember last years big minicamp story?

You mean REDZONE REDMAN??

DanRooney
04-30-2010, 04:06 PM
Well looks like Dixon still sucks :clap:

More overrated than Redzone Redman!

BlitzburghRockCity
04-30-2010, 05:46 PM
LOL, there's no way in hell that Gay is the starter come September. They can talk all they want but they know full well that McFadden wasn't brought back here to be a backup. Gay sucks beyond sucking, McFadden will be the starter.

As for Leftwich, it's only mini camps right now, everybody will get the chance to play with the first team. Dixon will get his shot and unless he really sucks, he'll be the starter in September until Ben comes back. If he falters then u bring in Lefty to save the day.

DanRooney
04-30-2010, 06:22 PM
McFadden was awesome for us in his last year until he got injured. I still believe he's a better corner than Ike. No way William Gaylord wins the job over him.

LatrobePA
04-30-2010, 07:07 PM
Wille B Gay is our BU or .05 DB...

Zachintosh66
04-30-2010, 07:40 PM
Wille B Gay is our BU or .05 DB...

Gay isnt worth 2 cents let alone a nickel :lol:

coldrolled
04-30-2010, 07:41 PM
Well looks like Dixon still sucks :clap:

More overrated than Redzone Redman!

tampa is the hometown team here in my tv viewing area.. dont get to excited over leftwich...

it was ugly here last year.

let dixon play and build some value into his game. we may need him...

leftwich is not the answer...

DanRooney
04-30-2010, 07:49 PM
tampa is the hometown team here in my tv viewing area.. dont get to excited over leftwich...

it was ugly here last year.

let dixon play and build some value into his game. we may need him...

leftwich is not the answer...

Let's get this straight I'm not excited over Leftwich, I'm just horrified at the thought of Dixon starting.

It was ugly watching the Ravens game last year. Dixon completed 46 percent of his passes and had a 62 PR. That's horrendous. How can you guys sit here and claim he played decent or good? Rewatch the game please. I've done it twice already trying to find what the hell everyone else is looking at. It was unbearable watching his inability to move the ball down the field, much less score.

You can't seriously judge Leftwich's performance with a mediocre cast in Tampa. You guys also say 'oh well Dixon played a tough defense,' and you're right. But remember Leftwich played the #4 defense in the league in '08 with a worse OL and without Wallace and Mendenhall (who are respectively better than Crisco Washington and Parker).

steelcityrockers
04-30-2010, 08:59 PM
Let's get this straight I'm not excited over Leftwich, I'm just horrified at the thought of Dixon starting.

It was ugly watching the Ravens game last year. Dixon completed 46 percent of his passes and had a 62 PR. That's horrendous. How can you guys sit here and claim he played decent or good? Rewatch the game please. I've done it twice already trying to find what the hell everyone else is looking at. It was unbearable watching his inability to move the ball down the field, much less score.

Well considering it was his first ever NFL game with really no preparation and the fact that he was/is still transitioning to a pro offense, I'd say it wasn't bad.

coldrolled
04-30-2010, 09:35 PM

You can't seriously judge Leftwich's performance with a mediocre cast in Tampa. You guys also say 'oh well Dixon played a tough defense,' and you're right. But remember Leftwich played the #4 defense in the league in '08 with a worse OL and without Wallace and Mendenhall (who are respectively better than Crisco Washington and Parker).

seriously, dixon had one day to get into the ravens game..

leftwich had training camp, preseason, and three regular games before they decided to kick him out.

please....

Real Deal Steel
04-30-2010, 09:40 PM
First off..

1.Mcfadden is going to be the starter.

2.Dixon will be better with a camp and preseason under him.

DanRooney
04-30-2010, 09:52 PM
seriously, dixon had one day to get into the ravens game..

leftwich had training camp, preseason, and three regular games before they decided to kick him out.

please....

Dixon didn't go to our training camp and play in preseason? Hmm... :thinking: Dixon wasn't a rookie last year guys. You do know he was drafted in 2008, right?

--- Added 4/30/2010 at 07:52 PM ---

To add, Dixon can't throw. Leftwich has a terrible delivery, but at least he has an arm.

Making those excuses about transitioning to a pro-style offense is almost like the delusional Redskins fans talking about how Jason Campbell wasn't treated fair. If he sucks, he sucks. We can't play around for our first four games having Dixon as our fun little project where we run, run, pass and punt some more when our division is ridiculously strong now.

Black@Gold Forever32
04-30-2010, 09:59 PM
Dixon didn't go to our training camp and play in preseason? Hmm... :thinking: Dixon wasn't a rookie last year guys. You do know he was drafted in 2008, right?

--- Added 4/30/2010 at 07:52 PM ---

To add, Dixon can't throw. Leftwich has a terrible delivery, but at least he has an arm. Dixon has this pansy *** throw and soft *** passes.

Yes I did know Dixon was drafted in 2008...But a second year QB drafted in the 5th round and making his first NFL start and almost pulling out the won was impressive considering it was his first NFL action in a regular season game.....Talk about a harsh critic...lol

andyg1984
04-30-2010, 10:35 PM
im not surprised one bit if burnett is the nickel by 2011 and gay is gone ...

Gettysburgh_Steel
04-30-2010, 10:39 PM
I can't figure out all the harsh words towards Dixon . He did the best with the time to prepare for that game , and he held his end of the bargain pretty much . He also got some very valuable game time in a big time game . He can be what he wants to be . He has that game under his belt now and i am glad for that . You guy's need to know that he was practically thrown into that game without the preparation that would have afforded him a better chance . He did not win it , true , but he walked away from the game with a whole new outlook . Any who does not believe that better do a double take . I like him as an up and coming quarterback , and some need to back off and let him showcase what he could bring to our offense . If he gets the chance , he could shut up a lot of mouths around here . I believe in him as a quarterback , i hope he believes in himself . nobody wants to talk about the lapse of defense in that particular game . He was trying his best , and i would not betray him , after the effort he put forth , in his first start , i might add . What will you all say if he is the opening day quarterback ? Thats what i thought . Nothing .

Real Deal Steel
04-30-2010, 10:46 PM
I can't figure out all the harsh words towards Dixon . He did the best with the time to prepare for that game , and he held his end of the bargain pretty much . He also got some very valuable game time in a big time game . He can be what he wants to be . He has that game under his belt now and i am glad for that . You guy's need to know that he was practically thrown into that game without the preparation that would have afforded him a better chance . He did not win it , true , but he walked away from the game with a whole new outlook . Any who does not believe that better do a double take . I like him as an up and coming quarterback , and some need to back off and let him showcase what he could bring to our offense . If he gets the chance , he could shut up a lot of mouths around here . I believe in him as a quarterback , i hope he believes in himself . nobody wants to talk about the lapse of defense in that particular game . He was trying his best , and i would not betray him , after the effort he put forth , in his first start , i might add . What will you all say if he is the opening day quarterback ? Thats what i thought . Nothing .

I totally agree. They act like Dixon won't improve with a whole camp and preseason.

Gettysburgh_Steel
04-30-2010, 11:01 PM
It seems proposterous , but they will have to adjust . Ben won his first start , but he had a whole different situation . We had the Bus back then . We had a running game to respect . When dixon made his start "in" Baltimore , he did not have that luxury . He played a damn good game , and i dare anyone to say otherwise . If they do , screw em , they really don't know what they are talking about . The way things are , i would rather have him in there than anyone else . we are grooming him for things to come .He might as well take his lumps now , if he is ever gonna take em . This is the perfect situation .

Dobre Shunka
05-01-2010, 12:33 AM
Look, Dixon's a question mark but at least it's a question mark and not a period, he's just getting started so we'll have to see how good/bad it gets.

Now Lefty, has some mileage, much of it bad (LOL) as a starter, but he is a capable experienced QB for a backup position. He performed good for Pitt when needed but was horrendous everywhere else. Thus, he's pretty much a capable #2 he just doesn't know it yet. On the plus side he shoots that ball out of there fast, before the sack, and let's face it thank all that is holy he does cuz he can't move. Watching him QB is like watching a depiction of football on a flintstone episode & the ole statue of liberty play.

However, this is the NFL and they are notoriouos for not trusting rookie QBs at the helm.
Like it or not they are very conservative and you hear things like, "we just can't throw him to the Lions" or "He's not ready yet" and so forth. So, I look to see a lot of Lefty with Dixon brought in to gain experience.

Not what I, or most here want but I feel we're going to see a lot of the veteran. <Gulp>

Dee Mca
05-01-2010, 03:17 AM
Worse comes to worse don't forget we always have ARE on the team.
Randle El then attended iu and was a QB where he was considered one of the premier offensive threats in the Big Ten and received some consideration for the Heisman(coming in sixth in Heisman voting) during his senior season. He was the first player in Division I history to pass for 40 career touchdowns and score 40 career rushing touchdowns. He was the Big Ten Player of the Year in 2001, and was named the First-team all american quarterback He finished his college career as the fifth on the all-time total yardage list, and became the first player in college football history to record 2,500 total yards for four consecutive years. He finished his career with 7,469 passing yards, 3,895 rushing yards, and 92 touchdowns running and passing.

DanRooney
05-01-2010, 03:25 AM
It seems proposterous , but they will have to adjust . Ben won his first start , but he had a whole different situation . We had the Bus back then . We had a running game to respect . When dixon made his start "in" Baltimore , he did not have that luxury . He played a damn good game , and i dare anyone to say otherwise . If they do , screw em , they really don't know what they are talking about . The way things are , i would rather have him in there than anyone else . we are grooming him for things to come .He might as well take his lumps now , if he is ever gonna take em . This is the perfect situation .

Dixon played the Baltimore game exactly how Ben played most of his games in his rookie year. Run first and pass when you have to. The difference being Ben completed a hell of a lot more than 42 percent of his passes averaged a hell of a lot more than 140 passing yards in his games. Mendenhall even had a better game in Baltimore that day than Willie Parker has ever had against them. I don't remember 1 time where Parker had 90 yards on the Ravens. He was usually held to less than 50.

This is taken from a guy on BtSC that I totally agree with:
"Lefty will be the QB
Unless the Steelers secretly plan to trade Ben this offseason. I don’t care about potential and talent, there’s just no way Dixon is a better QB with only one game of NFL experience. Dixon played well enough for 2 quarters, but once it was clear that he had no idea how to read zone coverage, it was over (4/16, 58 yards, 1 int)

We could try some different stuff on offense to suit Dixon’s abilities, but this is Bruce Arians we’re talking about. He’s going to have him chuck the ball into coverage."

--- Added 5/1/2010 at 01:25 AM ---

im not surprised one bit if burnett is the nickel by 2011 and gay is gone ...

What I'm hoping for

scudmissile29
05-01-2010, 06:32 AM
McFadden was awesome for us in his last year until he got injured. I still believe he's a better corner than Ike. No way William Gaylord wins the job over him.

Gaylord? What kind of pathetic name is that, Im pretty sure he gets higher quality graded pussy than you will ever get.

Sounds like jealousy

coldrolled
05-01-2010, 08:11 AM
Dixon played the Baltimore game exactly how Ben played most of his games in his rookie year. Run first and pass when you have to. The difference being Ben completed a hell of a lot more than 42 percent of his passes averaged a hell of a lot more than 140 passing yards in his games. Mendenhall even had a better game in Baltimore that day than Willie Parker has ever had against them. I don't remember 1 time where Parker had 90 yards on the Ravens. He was usually held to less than 50.

"Lefty will be the QB
Unless the Steelers secretly plan to trade Ben this offseason. I don’t care about potential and talent, there’s just no way Dixon is a better QB with only one game of NFL experience. Dixon played well enough for 2 quarters, but once it was clear that he had no idea how to read zone coverage, it was over (4/16, 58 yards, 1 int)

We could try some different stuff on offense to suit Dixon’s abilities, but this is Bruce Arians we’re talking about. He’s going to have him chuck the ball into coverage."

What I'm hoping for

Dixon will beat out Leftwich over training camp. he can pass, run, roll out nice, setup screen plays, quicker play action, qb draw.. etc.... he has the upside.

now heres where you are right, arians needs to create the plays for dixon to have a chance to win. that is the bigger question on this team more than dixon or leftwich or our OL situation. will arians make this happen...

scudmissile29
05-01-2010, 09:23 AM
Isn't left corner the starting corner? the #1 corner.

because the main wide reciever lines up to the right if you are the offensive running back point of view, so therefore ike is now #2? if that is the case no more contract next season

DanRooney
05-01-2010, 11:27 AM
Gaylord? What kind of pathetic name is that, Im pretty sure he gets higher quality graded pussy than you will ever get.

Sounds like jealousy

Wow that was awesome. You must be proud of yourself coming up with an insult thats completely unoriginal that almost all 7th graders use. "I bet I get more pussy than you hehehe." Yeah. When you make something personal it's grounds on getting kicked from this forum dude. You already have a handful of people who think you are annoying kid with all of your outbursts so I wouldn't push more buttons. Let's talk about the Steelers here. :yellowthumb:

irishsteel
05-01-2010, 11:38 PM
McFadden was an instant upgrade, we will be a better defensive unit next year

coldrolled
05-02-2010, 10:45 AM

"Lefty will be the QB

What I'm hoping for
Hines Ward say::::

Steelers wide receiver Hines Ward saw how the coaching staff designed plays to capitalize on quarterback Kordell Stewart's unique ability to create with his arm and his legs.

Ward doesn't know who's going to win the quarterback battle to replace Ben Roethlisberger, but he believes third-year signal caller Dennis Dixon, like Stewart, can spread the field and keep defenses off-balance with his unique versatility.

"If he gets outside the pocket, he's more of a threat than anybody on our team,'' Ward said of Dixon, who is sharing reps with Byron Leftwich and Charlie Batch during this weekend's minicamp that concludes today at the Steelers practice facility. "He's just as fast and explosive as a lot of defensive backs that probably wouldn't know how to attack him because they're not used to defending somebody like that.''

Ward, a third-round draft pick in 1998, joined the Steelers a year after Stewart, in his first season as a starter, led the Steelers to an 11-5 record and the AFC Championship Game.

Stlrs4Life
05-02-2010, 11:44 AM
LOL, there's no way in hell that Gay is the starter come September. They can talk all they want but they know full well that McFadden wasn't brought back here to be a backup. Gay sucks beyond sucking, McFadden will be the starter.

As for Leftwich, it's only mini camps right now, everybody will get the chance to play with the first team. Dixon will get his shot and unless he really sucks, he'll be the starter in September until Ben comes back. If he falters then u bring in Lefty to save the day.

Fully agree. I'm hoping Burnett or anybody beats Gay out and he is cut during training camp.

nuclearchihuahuas
05-02-2010, 11:45 AM
Hines Ward say::::

Steelers wide receiver Hines Ward saw how the coaching staff designed plays to capitalize on quarterback Kordell Stewart's unique ability to create with his arm and his legs.

Ward doesn't know who's going to win the quarterback battle to replace Ben Roethlisberger, but he believes third-year signal caller Dennis Dixon, like Stewart, can spread the field and keep defenses off-balance with his unique versatility.

"If he gets outside the pocket, he's more of a threat than anybody on our team,'' Ward said of Dixon, who is sharing reps with Byron Leftwich and Charlie Batch during this weekend's minicamp that concludes today at the Steelers practice facility. "He's just as fast and explosive as a lot of defensive backs that probably wouldn't know how to attack him because they're not used to defending somebody like that.''

I am in total agreement with Hines...I am also thinking that with the necessary preparation for the season opener...Dixon could do so well that in about 6 weeks there could very well be a quarterback controversy...ok--jump all over me--but if Dixon does even reasonably well, I think the media will make life as difficult for Ben coming back as possible...Dixon is athletic as hell and will cause significant problems for defenses--I can see the media storm brewing! :eek1:

Real Deal Steel
05-02-2010, 01:59 PM
I told everyone that Dixon will be ready come game number one of the real season. Some of you have forgotten that guys do get better from their 2nd to 3rd season.That is when most QB make the most dramatic jump.

Hines will thrive with a QB that can take off outside the pocket because that will allow Hines to sit down in those open spots and catch the ball. Not to mention a new and improved running game. We will be fine.

steelcitysfinestXL
05-02-2010, 02:30 PM
Dixon will get his shot and if he proves to M.T. he gives them the best chance to win... then he will be the guy. I personally would rather see Dixon come out on top. He gives the team more versitility and an added threat for defenses to game plan for. He was probley given 10-20% of the playbook in that Ravens game. He was handcuffed and With a whole offseason to prepare im confident he'll improve as a player. Even if he doesnt win the job doesnt mean he's a $hit QB.

Also, judging by the amount of sacks/pressures/hits Ben see's... Im not sure how long Lefty would be effective. I mean he had a good game against the Redskins in his only signifigant playing time with us... less we forget Woodley and the boys went OFF on J. Campbell in that game. He was picked twice after not throwing a pick all year. Plus, the D shut down Clinton Portis after 6 straight 100 yard games. Lefty only attempted 10 passes and was given great help from the D... lets not crown him Terry Bradshaw just yet. He looked like ***-cheeks with his stint with the Bucs!

Real Deal Steel
05-02-2010, 04:17 PM
Dixon will get his shot and if he proves to M.T. he gives them the best chance to win... then he will be the guy. I personally would rather see Dixon come out on top. He gives the team more versitility and an added threat for defenses to game plan for. He was probley given 10-20% of the playbook in that Ravens game. He was handcuffed and With a whole offseason to prepare im confident he'll improve as a player. Even if he doesnt win the job doesnt mean he's a $hit QB.

Also, judging by the amount of sacks/pressures/hits Ben see's... Im not sure how long Lefty would be effective. I mean he had a good game against the Redskins in his only signifigant playing time with us... less we forget Woodley and the boys went OFF on J. Campbell in that game. He was picked twice after not throwing a pick all year. Plus, the D shut down Clinton Portis after 6 straight 100 yard games. Lefty only attempted 10 passes and was given great help from the D... lets not crown him Terry Bradshaw just yet. He looked like ***-cheeks with his stint with the Bucs!

Exactly. There is no upside with Lefty. None. But there is with Dixon.

BlitzburghRockCity
05-03-2010, 12:15 PM
Ward's hamstrings have been an issue the last few years in training camp so I hope he's able to be fully ready to go when the season starts. From the notes though he's been limited so far; let the dude heal up, it's not like you don't know what you're getting with him.

I know hamstrings and ankle issues are common in the offseason but man I hope he's ready to go.

TampaSteelGirl
05-03-2010, 12:37 PM
Pittsburgh Steelers on FB posted, "It could turn out to mean nothing, but in the first practice of steelers minicamp on friday morning, Byron Leftwich was the QB with the first-team offense. And shortly into team drills, Leftwich showed off his strong arm with a deep touchdown pass to Mike Wallace in which he hit the receiver in stride"

also got this wexell text:

"Leftwich opens Steelers minicamp as QB1. McFadden the first LCB. Will Allen snags 1st pick"

good things so far

Hey what's the Steelers FB addy?

Thanks for the update!

LatrobePA
05-03-2010, 12:49 PM
May, June, July, August, September - - - - - - - - - - - Plenty of time to get healthy!!

JollyRob68
05-03-2010, 02:35 PM
Ward's hamstrings have been an issue the last few years in training camp so I hope he's able to be fully ready to go when the season starts. From the notes though he's been limited so far; let the dude heal up, it's not like you don't know what you're getting with him.

I know hamstrings and ankle issues are common in the offseason but man I hope he's ready to go.

I'm concerned about wards Hammies and think maybe the Steelers sign TO or L Coles.
I'd also hope they'd give the Rookies & Tyler Grisham their shot.
I like Leftwhich but want Dixon to be the starter and lets see what he has. He brings more versatility to the Steelers and that would also help Dwyer.(some option plays)

They gave Leftwhich the reps to get him reacquainted with their environment,personnel & playbook. People shouldn't read any thing into him running with the first team.

Go Steelers:cope:

DIESELMAN
05-03-2010, 04:05 PM
I was reading where Mendenhall came into camp at 217 lbs, he feels lighter and runs quicker. Dwyer also came into camp trimmed down, one of the reasons his stock fell in the draft was that he came into the combines overweight.

BlackGold4vr
05-03-2010, 04:29 PM
I was reading where Mendenhall came into camp at 217 lbs, he feels lighter and runs quicker. Dwyer also came into camp trimmed down, one of the reasons his stock fell in the draft was that he came into the combines overweight.

The reports I have been reading are that even Summers and Redman are in great shape and running with a vengeance. The better the competition is the better the results will be for the fans in September. I look forward to watching an invigorated running game this year. :yesnod:

nuclearchihuahuas
05-03-2010, 05:11 PM
The reports I have been reading are that even Summers and Redman are in great shape and running with a vengeance. The better the competition is the better the results will be for the fans in September. I look forward to watching an invigorated running game this year. :yesnod:

I really miss having a kick butt running game--I think my most favorite Steeler moments in history are goal-line plays where everyone on the planet knows we are going to run the ball...and we do...and blow up the defense doing it--GOD I LOVE THAT! :tt02: Remember when the BUS blew through Urlacher? What a beautiful moment that was...that's what we need again--I hope Mendenhall is a mini-bus this year