PDA

View Full Version : Steelers OL

Blitzburghpete
04-28-2010, 03:01 PM
I'm having a discussion with a friend of mine who says our oline can't be good if it gives up 50 sacks.

We all know that Ben holds onto the ball for too long so to try and get him to understand that actually our line is pretty good, can someone find out how many sacks our line gave up when Batch/Leftwich/Dixon have started over the last couple of seasons and the number of games that is per QB.

Cheers

tburg68
04-28-2010, 03:09 PM
I'm having a discussion with a friend of mine who says our oline can't be good if it gives up 50 sacks.

We all know that Ben holds onto the ball for too long so to try and get him to understand that actually our line is pretty good, can someone find out how many sacks our line gave up when Batch/Leftwich/Dixon have started over the last couple of seasons and the number of games that is per QB.

Cheers

You can't understand that our line is actually pretty good, because it's Not.

K Train
04-28-2010, 03:11 PM
much improved last year but still ****ing terrible.

starks shows flashes of brilliance against the best, then gets raped by mediocre at best players.

kemoeatu wants to kill players on every play but misses assignments a little too much. hes improving though

hartwig is without a doubt the worst center in the league giving up 7 sacks the year before and 8 last year...both ranked dead last among centers. hes gets steam rolled by scrub DTs.

essex is a pass blocker, he was servicable in the pass game but got stood up in the run game, he just doesnt have the muscle. he and stapleton were pretty interchangable.

colon is a fantastic drive blocker, but like most RTs he stuggles with speed rushers. he also has holding and false start penalties which is a little overrated about him but it still happens.

pouncey will be amazing at RG and center i have no doubts, huge upgrade.

jonathan scott will likely win the backup RT job and hills may win the LT backup but he may get cut.

legursky may win the center spot this year and hartwig might be a surprise cut

foster will backup both guards most likely, but will battle urbik for that spot...i think urbik gets cut though since scott can play that position too

all in all, its terrible but pouncey is likely to inject some talent into it

tburg68
04-28-2010, 03:29 PM
If I were the new OL coach coming in this year, my goal would be to rework the entire OL. Colon would be the only starter left from last years line, and that would be at RG.

Obviously this would/will take more than one off season, and Pouncey is a great start. If they cut Hartwig, I would throw a party! I can't see the line possibly being worse if Pouncey comes in and starts at center on day one!

K Train
04-28-2010, 03:34 PM
kemo, pouncey, colon as the interior....i dont care who the tackles are DTs will be faking injuries

HUNT4SEVEN
04-28-2010, 03:53 PM
If I were the new OL coach coming in this year, my goal would be to rework the entire OL. Colon would be the only starter left from last years line, and that would be at RG.

Obviously this would/will take more than one off season, and Pouncey is a great start. If they cut Hartwig, I would throw a party! I can't see the line possibly being worse if Pouncey comes in and starts at center on day one!

I agree:tt02: i would love to Pouncey start day one:yesnod: HartPig is probably worse than Mahan was...I would be ok with Starks cause he's not going anywhere anytime soon Kemo and Pouncey and Colon and that tackle we signed from the Bills:tt02:

DanRooney
04-28-2010, 04:33 PM
You hear one little rumor like Ben holds the ball too long and people go crazy. All of a sudden it means 50 sacks are Ben's fault. No. The offensive line is terrible. I'd keep 2 out of the 5 starters last year in Colon and Kemoeatu. The rest are putrid. With Pouncey we have 3 of 5. We need a new RG and a LT.

tburg68
04-28-2010, 04:39 PM
You hear one little rumor like Ben holds the ball too long and people go crazy. All of a sudden it means 50 sacks are Ben's fault. No. The offensive line is terrible. I'd keep 2 out of the 5 starters last year in Colon and Kemoeatu. The rest are putrid. With Pouncey we have 3 of 5. We need a new RG and a LT.

We need two new tackles, cuz Colon is my RG.

cmerrifield
04-28-2010, 05:01 PM
We need two new tackles, cuz Colon is my RG.

I disagree, we need Starks to play at a high level every game. When he stops Jared Allen from getting any sacks in the Vikings game, then he has to have potential. He could be, and shows at times, a franchise LT ability. He is just very hit or miss.

And watch a game or two with a stop watch. On many plays Ben gets the same amount of time as P. Manning or others. There are times that Ben just holds on to the ball too long.

tburg68
04-28-2010, 05:14 PM
I disagree, we need Starks to play at a high level every game. When he stops Jared Allen from getting any sacks in the Vikings game, then he has to have potential. He could be, and shows at times, a franchise LT ability. He is just very hit or miss.

And watch a game or two with a stop watch. On many plays Ben gets the same amount of time as P. Manning or others. There are times that Ben just holds on to the ball too long.

We also needed Holmes to stop smoking dope and threatning to kill people. We also need Ben to keep his manhood in his pants. But to quote Mick Jagger, "you can't always get what you want".

DanRooney
04-28-2010, 05:19 PM
If Colon plays at a high level at RT, you don't move him. Moving him to RG makes drafting a RT a gamble. You don't want that at your tackle positions. Finding a RT is much more difficult than finding a RG. We don't even need a great one, just one good enough to get the job.

Steel Trap86
04-28-2010, 09:09 PM
It's no secret, this o-line has been ugly for years now. Ben is worth $100 mil and I'm pretty sure was sacked second most in the league last season next to the LIONS. Our Superbowl year I remember we were actually making adjustments on offense with quick shots to Ward on a slant because the o-line was so f*cking bad. Another thing too, while we talk about all these sacks he took, we can't forget he was knocked down about 80 times and hurried another 100 times and if it wasn't for Ben we would have never came close to winning any Superbowl that year.

Pouncey was a great pick because we HAD to address this garbage line, and it wasn't just all of us who knew it, every single player & staff knew it too. While he might not start at Center right away, Hartwigs days are numbered and Pouncey will immediately challenge Essex for his job and will get it.

Black@Gold Forever32
04-28-2010, 09:22 PM
I have been stating Colon was better suited for OG since he was drafted.....Check back if you want to.....They havn't moved Colon to OG yet and I think they never will at this point.....

The Steelers current OL is an average OL even in 2008 when the Steelers won the Super Bowl......Some of the sacks are Ben's fault no doubt but for every sack that is on him he escapes from a sack also so its a wash.......Even if Ben got rid of the ball faster I still think the OL would give up 30-35 sacks a year....Still to many in my opinion.....

Forget the pass protection but the Steelers OL is really bad at run blocking.....I'm used to seeing the Steelers OL blow front 7's across the NFL off the ball and dominate under Cowher.....Since Tomlin has been the HC the OL has really been average to poor......Its not Tomlins fault since the Steelers neglected the OL for years without spending high picks on the OL......

I think the drafting of Pouncey will help greatly....even if he plays at RG this year......But when he takes overs as the starting center (whenever that is) I think he will improve the interior pass protection (especially against the blitz)........I also think he will improve the OG play as well.......I don't think Kemoeaut is all-pro but I do think he is a solid OG that has to spend a ton of time helping the bum Hartwig at center......I also expect Pouncey to improve the interior run blocking and really help the Steelers running game in short yardage and in the red zone.....

DanRooney
04-28-2010, 09:54 PM
The 2008 OL wasn't average...it was probably one of the worst OLs I've ever seen. It was very comperable to Washington's 2009 line.

Black@Gold Forever32
04-28-2010, 09:58 PM
The 2008 OL wasn't average...it was probably one of the worst OLs I've ever seen. It was very comperable to Washington's 2009 line.

They were average at best to poor most of the time.....

Big T
04-29-2010, 01:05 AM
We also needed Holmes to stop smoking dope and threatning to kill people. We also need Ben to keep his manhood in his pants. But to quote Mick Jagger, "you can't always get what you want".

Santonio never threatened to kill anyone...He just suggested that he might want to kill himself...threatening to kill someone is a lot different than telling someone to kill themself...

the whole thing was blown completely out of proportion...

Blitzburghpete
04-29-2010, 04:11 AM
Our line is bad huh?

So Mendenhall got 1100 yards at 4.6 yard a pop all by himself i suppose ?

I've checked

Batch / Dixon / Leftwich - 3 starts last over last 3 years around 80 pass attempts combined.. just 3 sacks. Make you think a bit huh ?

Dixon wasn't sacked once and that was against Ravens, Batch wasn't sacked once,
leftwich was but then Leftwich is imobile.

Yeah you all gonna spout they were running for their lives or something, but the point is most qb's throw the ball away in trouble, and i'm fine with that, Ben rolls the dice, yes sometimes to amazing effects... but sometimes not. Point is again this refelcts badly on the state of our line when he does.

I'm not going to say our line is fantastic, far from it, i'd like to see a great push in the middle as we've sucked at 3rd/4th short situations because we have no interior push, and i'd also like to see some monster tackles dominate....but we have who we have right now and we have to deal with them.

JensK
04-29-2010, 07:21 AM
DIxon was not sacked because we was not allowed to keep the ball in his hand long enough to be sacked... Batch played like 1 snap whole season, and he is even more imobile than Leftwich.

Right now, Starks and Hartwig are the problems in this line. With Pouncey at center in a year or two, he is going to make Kemo and whoever plays RG so much better. Colon is nasty in runblocking, so all we need is a real good LT! Im not asking for Steelers to have the best o-line in the game, but at least an o-line that wont get our QB and RBs killed.

coldrolled
04-29-2010, 08:10 AM
Our line is bad huh?

I've checked

Batch / Dixon / Leftwich - 3 starts last over last 3 years around 80 pass attempts combined.. just 3 sacks. Make you think a bit huh ?

Yeah you all gonna spout they were running for their lives or something, but the point is most qb's throw the ball away in trouble, and i'm fine with that, Ben rolls the dice, yes sometimes to amazing effects... but sometimes not. Point is again this refelcts badly on the state of our line when he does.

I'm not going to say our line is fantastic, far from it, i'd like to see a great push in the middle as we've sucked at 3rd/4th short situations because we have no interior push, and i'd also like to see some monster tackles dominate....but we have who we have right now and we have to deal with them.

there is a little blame to go all around in this OL equation. you have mendy with good rushing yard totals. you have ben throwing almost 4000 yards.... with a few good men... we can make the oline a bit better, dixon for the first four games will release the ball and move out of pocket quicker. then when ben is back we will see the ben factor in that holding onto the ball problem.. but the last equation.. since cowher has left, is arians.. the arians factor... very crappy calls, zero deception in plays. this needs to be fixed also. and his arrival and timing of the OLINE downfall do go hand in hand.
:imho:

K Train
04-29-2010, 09:52 AM
Our line is bad huh?

I've checked

ummm you cant look at stats all you want but in reality dixon was running from ngata all game when he steam rolled hartwig like every other DT, dixon has wheels though sacks are gonna be tough to come by, but hes also not gonna make the huge plays like ben so its give and take.

look at stats, or watch the line..whichever you think tells the real story i guess

tburg68
04-29-2010, 01:40 PM
Santonio never threatened to kill anyone...He just suggested that he might want to kill himself...threatening to kill someone is a lot different than telling someone to kill themself...

the whole thing was blown completely out of proportion...

I agree that is was blown out of proportion, unfortunately our ownership was one of the parties doing the blowing, which I think was one of the factors that led to the insanity of trading a very good player for a freaking 5th round pick.

Dobre Shunka
04-29-2010, 07:03 PM
To be blunt, I think Holmes sees the grass as greener in their joint, but may find weed and a roach or two in that grass and his pot of gold a pipe dream.

LatrobePA
04-29-2010, 07:13 PM
Steelers Oline = A step above my local high schools!! But our new first round pick is a step in the right direction.

The blindside is garbage!!

DanRooney
04-29-2010, 10:42 PM
Dixon didn't get sacked because we were playing Billy Ball. Run, run, pass, punt. And when he did he was running around throwing the ball in no man's land directly at the turf. Dixon's performance against the Ravens is more overrated than Redman's preseason show. And at least most of you talk about Redman in a sarcastic way. Most of you seriously think Dixon is going to to go somewhere in this league :nono:.

Charlie Batch also plays Billy Ball. He uses the run to sell playaction.

Big T
04-30-2010, 06:49 AM
Dixon didn't get sacked because we were playing Billy Ball. Run, run, pass, punt. And when he did he was running around throwing the ball in no man's land directly at the turf. Dixon's performance against the Ravens is more overrated than Redman's preseason show. And at least most of you talk about Redman in a sarcastic way. Most of you seriously think Dixon is going to to go somewhere in this league :nono:.

Charlie Batch also plays Billy Ball. He uses the run to sell playaction.

why did you have to bring "him" up again?

LatrobePA
04-30-2010, 09:34 AM
hahaha

why did you have to bring "him" up again?