PDA

View Full Version : Resigning Woodley could be tough

cmerrifield
04-27-2010, 10:10 AM
http://pit.scout.com/2/966042.html

The article basically says that with the 30% rule, a players base salary cannot increase by more than 30% from an capped year to an uncapped year, or something like that. The most base salary we can offer Woodley in an extension is 5.8 million for 6 years. The front office is going to have to be creative to get an extension for Woodely.

coldrolled
04-27-2010, 10:25 AM
http://pit.scout.com/2/966042.html

The article basically says that with the 30% rule, a players base salary cannot increase by more than 30% from an capped year to an uncapped year, or something like that. The most base salary we can offer Woodley in an extension is 5.8 million for 6 years. The front office is going to have to be creative to get an extension for Woodely.

he gets a very large signing bonus, write the check...

cmerrifield
04-27-2010, 10:41 AM

No way they give him that kind of signing bonus. Too much risk. If he would get injured or one of the rookies start to out play him we are stuck. I think they will work something out but it wont be a 6 million dollar salary with a 30 million signing bonus

75Steeler
04-27-2010, 10:42 AM
Yeah I'm all for them writing that check. Get it done Mr. Colbert!

nuclearchihuahuas
04-27-2010, 10:45 AM
I hope we get to keep him but I will not be surprised if they don't pay the $$

K Train
04-27-2010, 10:56 AM
id be shocked if they give harrison that big deal that wasnt even THAT big and just let woodley walk...no way in hell that happens, he'll sign a fair deal and if some chance he doesnt his *** will get franchised. hes too good to let walk, they might just do it since they had a good draft and didnt quench their thirst for my tears

BlitzburghRockCity
04-27-2010, 10:57 AM
There are tons of creative ways to get around salary cap type of rules; the big one is to give the player a large signing bonus spread over the life of the contract. If Wood has another year like he's had so far in his career they'll have no problem giving him a big payday. The Steelers aren't afraid to pay the players they are committed to and have shown a committment to them.

They drafted several linebackers this year and brought Foote back to help sure up that group since in the 34 defense it's all about the linebackers, so I would anticipate both Harrison and Wood playing together for quite awhile yet.

K Train
04-27-2010, 11:09 AM
they drafted 2 OLbs because there are scrubs backing up our 2 star OLBs...not as a replacement for woodley.

harrison will be replaced/retired/kicked to the middle before we lose woodley

:markit:

SteelJunkie
04-27-2010, 11:12 AM
I see no reason that they won't get it done. Talks probably have been in the initial stage already. Once the rookies are signed they will be looking to extend the players, and I'm sure Woodley would be high priority.

K Train
04-27-2010, 11:15 AM
now that holmes is gone hes the unquestioned highest priority

JensK
04-27-2010, 11:20 AM
getting rid of holmes made this signing much much easier. Holmes would have wanted a lot of money, and so will Woodley probably. Couldnt affort both, so good deal.

Big T
04-27-2010, 12:50 PM
He'll be resigned...

SnakeEyes43
04-27-2010, 12:59 PM
getting rid of holmes made this signing much much easier. Holmes would have wanted a lot of money, and so will Woodley probably. Couldnt affort both, so good deal.

That's exactly what I was thinking. I would have prefered to keep Woodley to Holmes anyway. They are both great post-season players, but imo Woodley is the better choice for this team.

Gettysburgh_Steel
04-27-2010, 01:54 PM
I'm not afraid of woodley not being resigned . After all he has been making some good progress , and bringin the wood so to speak . He will only get better and i am sure that the coaches know that too . He fits the system here , and i forsee no problem with the front office molding and shaping up a deal that would suit both parties involved .
After all , you gots to bring the Wood ! ! !

HUNT4SEVEN
04-27-2010, 01:57 PM

They will write that check:tt02:, he's young and the Steelers will NOT let a talent like him get away, plus he keeps himself out of trouble in the off season:yesnod: We can't afford to lose him, K Train said it best the back ups behind Wood and Harrison are scrubs, so this draft was a very good value draft we had this year, plus it takes our LB's usually more than a year to get our system in them Woodley and Bell were the exceptions they both came in as rookies and contributed early...

tburg68
04-27-2010, 02:19 PM
Woodley IS the cornerstone(along with Troy) of this defence for the next 5-6 yrs. He HAS to be resigned, PERIOD.

LatrobePA
04-27-2010, 02:28 PM
Woodley will be blowing O lineman up for years to come in B&G!!

Layin the wood
04-27-2010, 02:37 PM
No way they let him walk!! He'll get a 5 or 6 year deal because i dont think he wants to go anywhere anytime soon!!:cope:

scudmissile29
04-29-2010, 06:14 AM
Trading Santonio Holmes was a good deal.

It saves massive amounts of space for Woodleys Contract lol pay him

irishsteel
05-01-2010, 11:33 PM
Please keep Woodley, one of my favorites

Dobre Shunka
05-02-2010, 05:10 AM
They'll sign him.