PDA

View Full Version : Second thoughts after the draft

JollyRob68
04-25-2010, 03:18 PM
Now that the draft is over what players would you have picked that were still on the board? Remember as of day 2 you have the knowledge that your probably going to get BMac back as a starting CB. So in day 1 you dont have that info yet.
Whats does your draft look like?
Use nfl.com draft tracker to see who was available.( not your wish list/who was available to be picked)

Mine
1 Pouncey
2 Mt Cody or Golden Tate
3 WR or Brandon Ghee
4 Thaddeus Gibson
5 trade for Bmac
5 Rashard Jones SS
5 Anthony Dixon(comp)
5 Marshall Newhouse/Chris Scott
6 JAmar Chaney/Stevenson Sylvester
6 Dorin Dickerson
7 Doug Worthington/Jeff OWens

Zachintosh66
04-25-2010, 07:50 PM
no use crying over spilt milk... we got who we got... im ready for TC!

Big T
04-25-2010, 08:15 PM

Ill be there lol....:yellowthumb:

JollyRob68
04-25-2010, 11:21 PM

Not crying just asking you know hinde sight is 20/20. But, after watching the videos on steelers.com I understand exactly why we drafted who we did and I'm excited and cant wait for TC also. Hope I can make the trip.

scudmissile29
04-25-2010, 11:54 PM
Jason Worilds and Jonathan Dwyer and Bryant McFaddens were steals

steelcityrockers
04-26-2010, 01:05 PM
Jason Worilds

In the second round? I mean, Really? He seemed like a 3rd/4th round pick to me

K Train
04-26-2010, 01:07 PM
worilds was a reach, that mean opposite of steal. im not to mad about it, because they made me so happy in the 4th and 6th round but whatever. i really dont think worilds will be a good pro

Layin the wood
04-26-2010, 01:26 PM
I would have used the 2nd of our 6th round picks to take Dorin Dickerson. He could stretch the field for the WR's.

JensK
04-26-2010, 06:46 PM
From postgameheroes, my favorite Steelers site if you dont count SA:

A lot of questions have been raised over the Steelers draft so we’ll take a crack at sorting through the past few days and making sense of it all.

I think the first thing we need to keep in mind here is that Kevin Colbert and Mike Tomlin told the press during their post-draft Q&A that the Bryant McFadden trade was something they had been working on for a week or more. That’s key. The Steelers knew heading into the draft that McFadden was theirs for a 5th rounder whenever they felt like pulling the trigger. This gave them a lot of freedom. No need to reach for a CB they were not sure about and no need to trade up or grab a CB when they liked another guy on the board better.

Pick 1:

Maurkice Pouncey. Not much needs to be said here, this guy will start from Day 1. You can’t not like the pick can you? With McFadden in their back pocket there was no need to pick Kyle Wilson and none of the WRs on the board were worth taking this high. At some point the interior of the OL had to be improved and this pick accomplished that. Big need was filled here.

Pick 2, 3, and 4:

Lets look at the LBs first—James Worilds and Thaddus Gibson. Two linebackers this early might be unusual considering other needs but look at the Steelers depth chart at (Outside) Linebacker:

starters: Lamarr Woodley and James Harrison

backups at OLB: Patrick Bailey, Derrick Doggett, Johnny Williams, Renauld Williams, Andre Frazier

After Woodley and Harrison it’s scrub-city. That’s an incredibly thin depth chart at one of the team’s most important positions. Having McFadden in their back pocket allows them to ignore that area of need in Round 2/3 and got top end talent at the Linebacker position.

OLB was an area of need, not because we needed a starter, but because we were so thin at that position. If the Steelers drafted a CB or WR or RB in Round 2, they’d wind up picking an OLB in round 5 or 6 and whomever they grabbed in that round really wouldn’t be an upgrade over the backups you see on the list above. Ideally, the two LBs drafted with picks 2 and 4 will line up directly behind Woodley and Harrison on the depth chart. Guys like Patrick Bailey shouldn’t be #3 on Pittsburgh Steelers depth chart at Outside Linebacker. Big upgrade on Special Teams and overall depth. Let’s also remind ourselves that James Harrison is 32 years old….the Steelers have a habit of dumping high priced, aging Linebackers a year or so before their tanks are empty. I’m not saying James Harrison is in danger of losing his job but in 2-3 years he could easily be playing for another team. At that point in time, Worilds and/or Gibson will be ready to become starters.

The Emmanuel Sanders pick in Round 3 obviously fills the hole created by the Santonio Holmes trade. Arnaz Battle and Antwaan Randle El are short term fixes, Hines Ward is 1-2 years away from retiring, Limas Sweed is an enigma, etc…..you get the idea….a first, second, or third round pick in the Steelers 2010 draft was going to be spent on a WR, that was almost a given. From everything we’ve heard, Sanders is similar to Mike Wallace, and that’s a good thing. No need to further explain this pick. We needed a WR and we got one.

Picks 5, 6, and 7:

Chris Scott from Tennessee was the Tackle you knew the Steelers were going to draft at some point. It seems like he’ll get a chance to compete for a RT spot on the depth chart and perhaps show some position flexibility like Ramon Foster by playing OT and OG. Again, you knew another OL was going to be drafted at some point and he was the pick. Can’t really complain about this one.

Next guy taken was DB Crezdon Butler from Clemson. Between William Gay, Crezdon Butler, Joe Burnett, and Keenan Lewis the Steelers should find one or two keepers. No problems with this pick. Essentially you added Bryant McFadden and Crezdon Butler to your secondary in Round 5. Can’t complain about that Steeler fans. While we’re on the subject of drafting CB’s let me remind you that the Steelers STINK at judging talent at that position. I have no faith in their ability to draft cornerbacks. I’d rather have Steelers draft 3 of them in the later rounds than to reach in Round 2 for some small school guy that may or may not become a player.

Stevenson Sylvester was the next guy taken in Round 5. Another Linebacker you say? Well look at the depth chart we posted above. Foote is a stop-gap player… Farrior is getting older and slower by the day, could retire soon…. Timmons is good and Keyaron Fox is a beast. Fast forward 2 years from now and Sylvester could be your #3 ILB. Hopefully he joins Gibson and Worilds on all the ST units and provides an upgrade immediately.

An interesting tidbit that I paid attention to (nobody else will care probably). Try to stay with me here. The Steelers had 3 picks in the fifth round (151 and 164 and 166). Do you think they gave a lot of thought and consideration to which guy they picked first in this round? What if they picked Crezdon Butler first (151) and by the time their next pick came along (at 164), Chris Scott or Stevenson Sylvester were taken by other teams? I’m not sure what was going through their minds but picking Chris Scott FIRST seemed to work out for them. After he was drafted, another OT was taken a few picks later. In between picks 151 and 166, the Steelers were the only team to take a CB and they were the only team to take a LB. As you can see, the order in which they drafted these 3 guys worked out, they targeted OL, CB, and LB and were able to do so without any other clubs getting in their way over the course of those 16 selections.

Pick 8:

Jonathan Dwyer is the backup RB we’ve all been waiting for. To get this guy in Round 6 is amazing. If you can get Dwyer in Round 6, Willie Parker in Free Agency, etc…then you have to wonder how smart it is to use top end draft picks on RBs. Is the First or Second Round RB really that much better than the guy you can snag in Round 3 or 4? There are always “elite” RBs in Round 1 but it amazes me that solid NCAA RBs drop like this in the draft. Dwyer’s job in camp is to beat out Justin Vincent and Isaac Redman (and to a lesser extent Frank Summers) on the depth chart. A guy with his track record and skill set should be able to do that; don’t be surprised if he is the #2 RB on the roster to open up the season with Mewelde Moore holding down the 3rd down scat-back responsibilities.

Picks 9 and 10:

Both Antonio Brown and Doug Worthington are long-shots to make the team. The depth chart at WR is full and Worthington has a few guys to climb over on the DL. Perhaps they both end up on the practice squad? At this stage of the draft you don’t expect much from these guys.

Conclusion:

So what did we accomplish in the 2010 draft?

1. Special Teams should be much improved (more speed and skill)

2. Fewer guys will make the Steelers roster simply because of their special teams abilities (this is a good thing)

3. Linebacker should be locked up for years to come. Many options, lots of youth, great potential, solid depth.

4. A possible Santonio Holmes replacement at WR. Not to say Sanders will turn into a Super Bowl MVP but if he can contribute over the next year or two, we’ll be fine.

5. We got Bryant McFadden (a starting CB) in the 5th round. Instantly upgraded the entire defense and allows Gay, Burnett, Lewis to grow into their positions.

6. We didn’t trade our franchise QB.

7. We found an instant starter at Center or Guard, a guy in Pouncey that we can pencil into the lineup for the next 6 years.

8. Our Oline stunk last year, our short-yardage running game stunk, and redzone running game stunk, etc….Pouncey and Dwyer will both help.

K Train
04-26-2010, 06:49 PM
lets just hope dwyer isnt cedric humes

JensK
04-26-2010, 06:53 PM
Yeah.. At least he came in the 6th round, so even if he did not pan out, it wouldn't be that bad. From 4th round and beyond, i don't really expect anything, but they are very welcome to prove me wrong. I think he'll be fine though. He may need another year learning, although i don't really think it'll be necessary. It's not like he is going to carry the whole team, just be a change of phase back.

andyg1984
04-27-2010, 12:16 AM
even if we had mcfadden in mind terrence cody in the 2nd and perrish cox in the 4th would have made this draft insane ... selvie over scott and sylvester though too and black should have been drafted imo ..

JollyRob68
04-27-2010, 02:59 PM
even if we had mcfadden in mind terrence cody in the 2nd and perrish cox in the 4th would have made this draft insane ... selvie over scott and sylvester though too and black should have been drafted imo ..

Cox is a Red Flag nightmare.Were trying to get rid of them/Got rid of him(HOLMES)

Layin the wood
04-27-2010, 03:14 PM
It doesnt make any difference how good/great these guys are the rooneys are not going to draft anymore problem childs. :nono: