View Full Version : Round 6 - Jonathan Dwyer, RB , Georgia Tech

Prosdo
04-24-2010, 02:30 PM
Here is the RB.

Profile: http://www.nfl.com/draft/2010/profiles/jonathan-dwyer?id=497174

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bq9Yme2gczU

Steel Impact
04-24-2010, 02:34 PM
Good Pick especially at the 6th round this kid at one time was supposed to be drafting late 1st round by chargers Runs hard nice pickup I think

Zachintosh66
04-24-2010, 02:41 PM
Good Move w/ Dwyer... can move the pile!

Steel Impact
04-24-2010, 02:45 PM
Good Move w/ Dwyer... can move the pile!

Yeap we need to move the pile because the ravens had a great draft like always

Ironman
04-24-2010, 03:03 PM
not only does the kid look mean, he has a burst of quickness that can't be contained. Loved this pick, especially in the 6th.

Dwyer was projected to go in the late 2nd or 3rd round, we got this guy for cheap. Dwyer reminds me of a 'Jonathan Stewart' type back- just not as polished. Dwyer cut his weight from the upper 240's to 229 for the NFL combine, but the results didn't translate well. Regardless, I see this kid making an impact early on.

Iron City South
04-24-2010, 03:49 PM
Could very well be the STEAL of the draft! Dwyer is a brick shithouse. Hell of a stiff arm and bowls people over.

Real Deal Steel
04-24-2010, 05:01 PM
Love this selection. We have two solid RB that are bilt in the Steelers mode now. I think we are going back to more running the ball for sure now. Thank god. This draft was an outstanding draft for us.

Steel Trap86
04-24-2010, 05:03 PM
the steelers drafted really well this season

JensK
04-24-2010, 06:44 PM
He is going to make Mendenhall a lot better!

BlitzburghRockCity
04-24-2010, 07:03 PM
It's a great value pick, considering he was projected to go higher I suspect he's going to come in with a chip on his shoulder and ready to kick some serious ***. It's a great way to add depth to our RB stable since Parker left.

MattyVfromCT
04-24-2010, 07:03 PM
He is going to make Mendenhall a lot better!

absolutely. they will both make a nice 1-2 punch. i'd really like to see us move towards being a ground and pound team heavy again. but with air brucie running things, not likely

nuclearchihuahuas
04-24-2010, 08:26 PM
absolutely. they will both make a nice 1-2 punch. i'd really like to see us move towards being a ground and pound team heavy again. but with air brucie running things, not likely

this is good--parker couldn't make holes but this guy can

HUNT4SEVEN
04-24-2010, 09:55 PM

:crossfingers: I hope so we had 2 bad drafts these past seasons with the exception of a few good players and hopefully this draft makes us forget about the last 2 drafts, the RB looks good on film though...

Silverback
04-24-2010, 10:47 PM
Love this selection. We have two solid RB that are bilt in the Steelers mode now. I think we are going back to more running the ball for sure now. Thank god. This draft was an outstanding draft for us.

Just because we picked up a situational back in the 6th round does not mean a philosophical shift on offense. I agree there will be more balance this year but it will still be a passing team.

Real Deal Steel
04-24-2010, 11:59 PM
Just because we picked up a situational back in the 6th round does not mean a philosophical shift on offense. I agree there will be more balance this year but it will still be a passing team.

Disagree buddy. If you factor in that Ben won't be here for the first 4 games, and how we addressed the O-line and the addition of Dwyer,..it all adds up to more of an emphasis on the running game. And I"m happy about that.

Establishing the running game will make us have a brand new weapon...the play-action pass!

Silverback
04-25-2010, 12:39 AM
More running game yes, especially in those first 6 games, but lets be honest when the chips are down we are a pass first team as long as we have ben and bruce arians. Don't get me wrong i love the smashmouth, power run game as much as the next guy, but its truth.

Zachintosh66
04-25-2010, 12:55 AM
C'mon Dwyer is there for a purpose... Move the chains and cross the goal line

This is Mendenhalls team (especially the first 6 games)

Moore is and will remain 3rd down back...

DanRooney
04-25-2010, 03:24 AM
Don't think so. I believe Dwyer will be taking a couple of series a game from Mendenhall similar to what Parker did last season to keep Mendenhall fresh. I'm personally not a fan when coaches rotate RBs just for certain situations like goal line or short yardage. It's completely unimaginative and doesn't make the opposing defense think. We still don't have an OL that can impose our will where everyone knows we're running on a 3rd and 2.

Layin the wood
04-25-2010, 11:59 AM
I almost fell out of my chair when he was picked!! I was screaming at the TV that we should have taken him in the 5th round. He will be a nice compliment to Mendenhall. Ran through some good players in the ACC!!:cope:

K Train
04-25-2010, 12:10 PM
incredible value...i thought hed go in the second or third. hes not a big power runnr like his size suggests, hes kind of soft but in the 6th round this is a badass pick.

this draft made me so ****ing happy. i inda of wish thy took tate over worilds because hes a little overrated since all hokies are fast since they run on the fastest fast track in the nation but i have a hard time bitching about this class since its the polar oppisite of last years

Dobre Shunka
04-25-2010, 12:38 PM
He's like mini-Mendy.

steelcitysfinestXL
04-26-2010, 09:17 AM
I like this pick for the value and the potential. There are some question marks though...
Why did he drop so far? This kids was pegged as a solid early second rounder in January. He fell off a bit after the combine, but i could give a **** less about that. If he keeps his weight around 235-240 i think he has GREAT speed for that size. My question is... How is he going to fare lining up in the I-form and Single back, and not 2-3 yards from the L.O.S.? Can he read and react with that "one cut" style or is he gonna be like "FWP" and just run into the backs of our oline? He had some MAJOR wholes to run through in that wishbone style offense... Unless we have a COMPLETE 180 from our o-line this season, he wont have that luxory here.

BUT, its not like we got him in the second round! This is a GREAT value pick. His upside is huge and he is a bigger back with speed. I dont see him as a "power-back" like KTrain said... dont expect Brandon Jacobs, i think he's a lil more like Veron Haynes (at worst). A bit of power and some speed for his size. He makes the team easy!

BlackGold4vr
04-26-2010, 12:32 PM
Disagree buddy. If you factor in that Ben won't be here for the first 4 games, and how we addressed the O-line and the addition of Dwyer,..it all adds up to more of an emphasis on the running game. And I"m happy about that.

Establishing the running game will make us have a brand new weapon...the play-action pass!

:plus1: When you make teams respect the running game it will vastly improve the passing game. When teams start playing 8 in the box to stop the run you can kill them with the play action. It's all about balance and being unpredictable. Teams have not had to respect our running game because it was not that good (ranked 19th last year). With all the O-lineman coming to camp this year the veterans had better bring it or they will be shown the door.

Besides Pouncey(C/G) and Chris Scott(T), we also picked up another C/G from the Miami Hurricanes A.J. Trump and another T/G Ciron Black from LSU. Hills(T), Urbik(G), Essex(T/G), Foster(T/G), Legursky(C/G) and Jonathon Scott(T) better bring it in training camp. I count 15 O-lineman coming to camp and we normally carry 9 on the 53 man roster. 6 guys won't make the cut!

K Train
04-26-2010, 12:36 PM
He's like mini-Mendy.

this is the opposite of making sense

i thought dwyer would be a 1st/2nd round pick a few months ago, i actually had him going to us in the 3rd in my final steeler mock...thunder and lightning is overrated, thunder and earthquake is so much better imo

Gettysburgh_Steel
04-27-2010, 01:09 PM
I like him . From what i did on research , and some footage i watched on u-tube just from punching in his name , learned a lot . He is not that bad of a reciever coming out of the backfield either . I think he could have that Bettis style of running if he gets some of the pounds back . Plow him into the line time after time , on esspecially short yardage areas . Pretty soon people are going to start to get out of his way , or make Jeff Reed like attempts to tackle him . I like him , solid pick on paper . Lets see what he does on the field . :yellowthumb:

coldrolled
04-27-2010, 03:00 PM
I like him . From what i did on research , and some footage i watched on u-tube just from punching in his name , learned a lot . He is not that bad of a reciever coming out of the backfield either . I think he could have that Bettis style of running if he gets some of the pounds back . Plow him into the line time after time , on esspecially short yardage areas . Pretty soon people are going to start to get out of his way , or make Jeff Reed like attempts to tackle him . I like him , solid pick on paper . Lets see what he does on the field . :yellowthumb:

:yellowthumb:

Stairwayto7
04-27-2010, 03:17 PM

I Agree, plus we made the nice trade to get McFadden back, with the pick that we got for Holmes. So it was like we traded Holmes for McFadden. Nice trade, we needed a CB

K Train
04-27-2010, 03:58 PM
in 3-4 years when his rookie contract is up, someone else will want to bring him in to be their starting RB, thats how good i feel about him

Black@Gold Forever32
04-27-2010, 05:05 PM
in 3-4 years when his rookie contract is up, someone else will want to bring him in to be their starting RB, thats how good i feel about him

Yea you have always been high on Dwyer and I remember having a conversation with you about him back in Jan.......I questioned the gimmick offense he played in at Georgia Tech but in the 6th round this pick was a no brainer......To much potential and talent to pass up in the 6th.......I would have been fine taking Dwyer in the 4th round.......

K Train
04-27-2010, 05:44 PM
the gimmick offense makes you question QBs big time, WRs (even though calvin is a superstar and bey bey looks like he could be) but Rbs, not so much. it didnt really effect tashard choice. he wont be a steeler long and not because he sucks...more like hes gonna be like michael turner or chester taylor and get paid elsewhere

tburg68
04-27-2010, 05:50 PM
I Agree, plus we made the nice trade to get McFadden back, with the pick that we got for Holmes. So it was like we traded Holmes for McFadden. Nice trade, we needed a CB

Saying that Holmes for McFadden is a good trade, is comparable to saying a Land Rover for a Geo Tracker is a good trade.

Black@Gold Forever32
04-27-2010, 07:50 PM
the gimmick offense makes you question QBs big time, WRs (even though calvin is a superstar and bey bey looks like he could be) but Rbs, not so much. it didnt really effect tashard choice. he wont be a steeler long and not because he sucks...more like hes gonna be like michael turner or chester taylor and get paid elsewhere

I never said Dwyer sucks but you have to look at everything when regarding a prospect even the system they played in at college......I thought 3rd or 4th round was a fair grade from Dwyer and I'm thrilled the Steelers landed him in the 6th......

K Train
04-27-2010, 08:37 PM
thats not what i meant. i was just saying hes not gonna be a steeler long and not for reasons of not being good enough, like some recent draft picks, but more like because hes too good and will be a hot item on the market

Gettysburgh_Steel
04-27-2010, 09:21 PM
If he becomes that hot , and evolves into a Bettis like jr. we will never give him up . we learned the lesson about running the ball , oh too well . I think he has that potential . He reaches his potential , and smashes into the line at least 2 or 3 times a possession , and people will start to fake tackle . I'm not saying he is the bus , but i can see some upside to him . If we truly commit to the run , he would have a good chance of earning his keep for life . He must know jerome , and what an asset he was to our running game . Who would not want to emulate the bus ? Big chance for him . But i think if he succeeds , how could we turn our heads the other way , and let him leave . That is of course , if he turns out the way we all(most) think he will . We need a running game and a 2 back attack . He fits the bill . I hope he can fill it ! Mendenhal should only get better , and it appears they have different styles , but both would be very usefull if we want to run the ball. Just a very intriguing situation . Nice problem to have .

K Train
04-27-2010, 09:24 PM
for being a fat back and a bigger guy he runs at a sick angle, you dont see him run upright much at all. which alot of bigger guys get caught doing and get stood up

coldrolled
04-29-2010, 07:20 AM
If he becomes that hot , and evolves into a Bettis like jr. we will never give him up . we learned the lesson about running the ball , oh too well . I think he has that potential . He reaches his potential , and smashes into the line at least 2 or 3 times a possession , and people will start to fake tackle . I'm not saying he is the bus , but i can see some upside to him . If we truly commit to the run , he would have a good chance of earning his keep for life . He must know jerome , and what an asset he was to our running game . Who would not want to emulate the bus ? Big chance for him . But i think if he succeeds , how could we turn our heads the other way , and let him leave . That is of course , if he turns out the way we all(most) think he will . We need a running game and a 2 back attack . He fits the bill . I hope he can fill it ! Mendenhal should only get better , and it appears they have different styles , but both would be very usefull if we want to run the ball. Just a very intriguing situation . Nice problem to have .

we need to truly commit to the run more when we have a 13 - 17 point lead in the third qtr... wear out the defense and control the clock.

2002 - Browns playoff, arians coaching the browns.. brownies winning by i think 17 maybe 20.. arians continued to pass the ball. we got an int, they never controlled the clock. they kept passing thru the 4th.. we eventually came back in the fourth and won... remember?? now think. deja vu.. 2009 steelers.. winning and then losing...
no run game to close out the games... thats how i see it. history repeats..:imho:

SteelDad
04-29-2010, 08:17 AM
Heard Dwyer on ESPN Radio in the 'burgh yesterday. Really like the way he sounds. Humble, excited, looking forward to the challenge. Said he has spoken with both Parker and Bettis about playing in Pittsburgh. He would be a great compliment to RM.

Ibleedblk&gld
04-29-2010, 09:06 AM
talk to my buddy (mike cox) on facebook yesterday...asked him about dwyer, and he told me he's the real deal, and the steelers got a huge steal getting him in the 6th

i like hearing good things from someone i know personally who has played w/ him before

scudmissile29
04-29-2010, 09:36 AM
I wonder if he can steal Mendenhall's #1 spot, im pretty sure the steelers wouldnt like that since mendenhall was a huge investment as a 1st rounder but dwyer got game

i cant wait until he crushes ray lewis

K Train
04-29-2010, 09:46 AM
mendenhall played out of his mind last year, he will definitely improve this year with pouncey...they had a ton of success running him to the right last year behind colon and essex...subtract essex and put pouncey in a look out

SteelDad
04-29-2010, 10:08 AM
I wonder if he can steal Mendenhall's #1 spot, im pretty sure the steelers wouldnt like that since mendenhall was a huge investment as a 1st rounder but dwyer got game

i cant wait until he crushes ray lewis

Let's just get him on the team first. A one-two punch with these guys would be awesome. Mendy was great last year and I'd just like to see Dwyer as a back-up or compliment.

scudmissile29
04-29-2010, 10:11 AM
mendenhall played out of his mind last year, he will definitely improve this year with pouncey...they had a ton of success running him to the right last year behind colon and essex...subtract essex and put pouncey in a look out

im not saying mendenhalls not gonna be great just saying if we can have that willie emergence again back from the back end of 2004 to the start of 2005.... it could be a leagues best combo of rushard diesel

tburg68
04-29-2010, 12:32 PM
im not saying mendenhalls not gonna be great just saying if we can have that willie emergence again back from the back end of 2004 to the start of 2005.... it could be a leagues best combo of rushard diesel

I love the Dwyer pick. Mendenhall will definitely be the starter, but he is also the third down back. As long as Dwyer picks up the playbook, he should get 10-12 carries a game. Between Mendy and Dwyer, there should only be about 10% of the rest of the plays in a game to split with Moore et al. This will make the running game that much stronger! That is if BA is told to run the ball 35+ times a game!

coldrolled
04-30-2010, 08:00 AM
I love the Dwyer pick. Mendenhall will definitely be the starter, but he is also the third down back. As long as Dwyer picks up the playbook, he should get 10-12 carries a game. Between Mendy and Dwyer, there should only be about 10% of the rest of the plays in a game to split with Moore et al. This will make the running game that much stronger! That is if BA is told to run the ball 35+ times a game!

mendenhall is 23 dwyers is 21 and arians has one year left on the contract. :cope: