PDA

View Full Version : Round 2 - Jason Worilds, OLB , VaTech

BlitzburghRockCity
04-23-2010, 07:40 PM
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2010/profiles/jason-worilds?id=496887

Traditional Steeler type of pick as far as Linebackers go.

I know we could use use LB depth, however, this one perplexes me given the fact that we need DB help so much and DL depth....

Steel Impact
04-23-2010, 07:44 PM
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2010/profiles/jason-worilds?id=496887

Traditional Steeler type of pick as far as Linebackers go.

I know we could use use LB depth, however, this one perplexes me given the fact that we need DB help so much and DL depth....

Me too and cant believe Ravens got Kindle wtf

Prosdo
04-23-2010, 07:46 PM
I agree Matt I kinda expected a CB here. It seems more of a glaring need with the shaky backfield.

Black@Gold Forever32
04-23-2010, 07:49 PM
If he turns out to be a beast like Woodley then its a great pick...You can never have enough pass rushers....I'm just hoping he isn't a Alonzo Jackson type 2nd round flop....

JensK
04-23-2010, 07:50 PM
Whoever we would have picked as a CB, they wouldnt have played this year anyway... Again, not a flashing pick, and it does leave you wonder, but it filled a pretty big need (we did not have a single backup behind Woodley and Harrison)

BlitzburghRockCity
04-23-2010, 07:51 PM
To me this one is even more odd, I mean I know like I said we need depth because behind Wood and Harrison we have nobody so if that's the thought process then I can see it. The problem is, we have no legitimate CB opposite Taylor right now so how you can pass one up in the 2nd round unless you're trying to trade up to get back into the late 2nd round, is perplexing.

scudmissile29
04-23-2010, 07:51 PM
great pick

now we can get ryan williams in 2012

acero
04-23-2010, 07:53 PM
bob smizik wrote today on his blog that we were not that good on round 2- 7 and here we go again

strong D
04-23-2010, 07:53 PM
he reminds me of another bruce davis there were plenty better picks they could of made not to mention they probly could of got this kid in a later round

Black@Gold Forever32
04-23-2010, 07:54 PM
Lets be fair guys and give this kid a chance before knocking the pick.....I agree he could be another Alonzo Jackson or Bruce Davis.....

strong D
04-23-2010, 07:56 PM
Lets be fair guys and give this kid a chance before knocking the pick.....I agree he could be another Alonzo Jackson or Bruce Davis.....

i see wat ur sayin 32 but we could of got this kid in a later round imo

scudmissile29
04-23-2010, 07:57 PM
hes gonna be great.

hokie blood flows through steeler nation

Black@Gold Forever32
04-23-2010, 07:58 PM
i see wat ur sayin 32 but we could of got this kid in a later round imo

yea he would have been there.........but there has been so many reaches this draft its been a strange draft........I would have preferred Cody or Golden Tate but the Steelers was something in Jason Worilds....I was shocked when the pick was made...Nothing we can do about except is hope this kid is a beast....lol

scudmissile29
04-23-2010, 08:00 PM
lets go jase, chase those qbs and brake em

GO HOKIES!

strong D
04-23-2010, 08:00 PM
yea he would have been there.........but there has been so many reaches this draft its been a strange draft........I would have preferred Cody or Golden Tate but the Steelers was something in Jason Worilds....I was shocked when the pick was made...Nothing we can do about except is hope this kid is a beast....lol

i guess but if they dont get secondary help we are in trouble thats all im sayin i would of rather reached for a corner than a lb

Zachintosh66
04-23-2010, 08:01 PM
wtf?!?! Our secondary is horrible! Plus the divison just added Boldin and Bryant. Remember Bruce Gradkowski tore us up...

This kid may be good and have a good motor but a lot of good its gonna do on the sidelines...

UKSTEELER
04-23-2010, 08:09 PM
I hope we're projecting him inside to replace farrior, otherwise i don't like this pick at all.

Zachintosh66
04-23-2010, 08:12 PM
I hope we're projecting him inside to replace farrior, otherwise i don't like this pick at all.

and be honest, nobody is relacing Farrior anytime soon... (next year at best)

scudmissile29
04-23-2010, 08:14 PM

No he is not a MLB he is an OLB. replaces harrison

Black@Gold Forever32
04-23-2010, 08:21 PM
Frank Beamer always has top notch special teams......Beamer is a special teams guru........So Worilds should greatly help our special teams in kick coverage which were terrible last year......There isn't much behind Woodley or Harrison......They needed an OLB to groom and they saw something in Worilds........

yinzer
04-23-2010, 08:23 PM
Great upside with this kid... Has a motor that doesn't stop.

scudmissile29
04-23-2010, 08:23 PM
Frank Beamer always has top notch special teams......Beamer is a special teams guru........So Worilds should greatly help our special teams in kick coverage which were terrible last year......There isn't much behind Woodley or Harrison......They needed an OLB to groom and they saw something in Worilds........

yes, we also have a really good defensive co-ords, theres a reason why the miami hurricanes suck -- our D-FENSE

Black@Gold Forever32
04-23-2010, 08:25 PM
yes, we also have a really good defensive co-ords, theres a reason why the miami hurricanes suck -- our D-FENSE

ok I know you're really high on Worilds and nothing wrong with that....But were this kid will help right away is on special teams and then they will work him in as an OLB.....Like Woodley in 2007......

SteelJunkie
04-23-2010, 08:29 PM
Ya I'm still scratchin my head here, but i hope he works out. Secondary is the huge need and a pick in the 2nd could have started for us. My only hopes is that burnett or lewis makes huge strides and take over gay's spot.

yinzer
04-23-2010, 08:33 PM
Ya I'm still scratchin my head here, but i hope he works out. Secondary is the huge need and a pick in the 2nd could have started for us. My only hopes is that burnett or lewis makes huge strides and take over gay's spot.

I agree but our IOL sucks. Pouncey will start at guard and move into center.

Steel Impact
04-23-2010, 08:35 PM
Only time will tell but I cant help seeing what kind of beasts the Ravens are bringing in Cody and Kindle there def just got nastier

HUNT4SEVEN
04-23-2010, 08:37 PM
Where's K-Train when u need him:lol: We do need depth behind Woodley and Harrison but we also need CB help badly, with these last to drafts i don't trust the FO anymore, I kmow we better get a CB in the third round...

Blazedby92
04-23-2010, 08:37 PM
When it comes to LB I don't question them much because we normally get our guy, lets hope we see this kid on the field sooner than later most likely a yr atleast but JUST MAYBE they seen something special.:crossfingers:

SteelJunkie
04-23-2010, 08:38 PM
ya yinzer I would have even been happy with OL. I been yellin at my TV for years to draft them lol

Blazedby92
04-23-2010, 08:40 PM
Where's K-Train when u need him:lol: We do need depth behind Woodley and Harrison but we also need CB help badly, with these last to drafts i don't trust the FO anymore, I kmow we better get a CB in the third round...

This pick is probably the reason "K" isn't here, probably threw his TV and COMPUTER out his window.
DON'T JUMP IT'S NOT WORTH IT K

LatrobePA
04-23-2010, 08:55 PM
For whatever reason Tomlim is high on Gay!! Personally I think this was a weird pick, Cody was there.

NorCalSteel
04-23-2010, 08:58 PM
I was thinking that maybe the Steelers realy like the two corners we took last year and are expecting big things from them? I was guessing we drafted him as a bacup. To the OLB posistion for depth also.

LatrobePA
04-23-2010, 09:01 PM
True, he could be a ST stud and via an injury get a shot...Sounds like a good fit with his motor and our LB'rs dipping into coverage...

I was thinking that maybe the Steelers realy like the two corners we took last year and are expecting big things from them? I was guessing we drafted him as a bacup. To the OLB posistion for depth also.

86WARD
04-23-2010, 09:02 PM
I'd rather have seen them take Spikes before Worilds. Seems like the Steelers went with speed picking Worilds...

Zachintosh66
04-23-2010, 09:42 PM
For whatever reason Tomlim is high on Gay!! Personally I think this was a weird pick, Cody was there.

high with Gay perhaps...

Great upside with this kid... Has a motor that doesn't stop.

that motor is gonna be great carrying Harrison and Woodleys pads after practice...

LatrobePA
04-23-2010, 09:43 PM
Thanks!:yellowthumb:

high with Gay perhaps...

that motor is gonna be great carrying Harrison and Woodleys pads after practice...

Richmond Rukus
04-23-2010, 10:19 PM
I wonder if our defensive bacfkfield is in as much dire need as many of us think. I agree it should be addressed, but at the same time, we have 2 draft picks from last year in a system under Lebeau where there is a big learning curve, and rookies rarely shine. It even took Troy a year to learn this system. It is very possible the coaches are seeing something the rest of us aren't privy to.

Zachintosh66
04-23-2010, 10:28 PM
I wonder if our defensive bacfkfield is in as much dire need as many of us think. I agree it should be addressed, but at the same time, we have 2 draft picks from last year in a system under Lebeau where there is a big learning curve, and rookies rarely shine. It even took Troy a year to learn this system. It is very possible the coaches are seeing something the rest of us aren't privy to.

alright fine... ill except that

now explain Willie Gay, been in league 4 yrs and been nickel back and starter, so hes had plenty of PT

Richmond Rukus
04-23-2010, 10:30 PM

now explain Willie Gay, been in league 4 yrs and been nickel back and starter, so hes had plenty of PT

exactly the reason I did not mention Gay, and agreed it needs to be addressed. Just not sure if it is as dire of a need as many think. But just like everyone else, I honestly don't know.

Black@Gold Forever32
04-23-2010, 10:35 PM
I'm sure a DB still will be drafted......Look at Tomlin's track record here people....He likes to take later round fliers on DB's and tries to coach them up......I'm not saying its the smartest thing to do just pointing out since he has been HC the Steelers have drafted DB's in the later rounds......

Gay-5th
Mundy-6th
Lewis-3rd
Burnett-5th

Sorry if I forgot any....those were off the top of my head.....

Richmond Rukus
04-23-2010, 10:39 PM
I'm sure a DB still will be drafted......Look at Tomlin's track record here people....He likes to take later round fliers on DB's and tries to coach them up......I'm not saying its the smartest thing to do just pointing out since he has been HC the Steelers have drafted DB's in the later rounds......

Gay-5th
Mundy-6th
Lewis-3rd
Burnett-5th

I haven't completely given up on Gay yet either, and I know I am in the minority. Although I'm skeptical. He did a pretty good job a couple years ago in spot duty, and he was a first year starter with no Troy or Smith last year. One can only hope he found out what it takes to be a starter in this league, and worked accordingly in the offseason. I do, however, feel this is being overly optimistic. This is his last chance to compete before we cut ties IMO.

scudmissile29
04-23-2010, 10:44 PM

gonna defend my fav player william gay here

-- ike taylor had worse stats than william gay this year, ike was disgraceful after the 08 season he put up, so inconsistent and when he's inconsistent he's very overrated, and when he plays consistently he's underrated

cmerrifield
04-23-2010, 10:46 PM
The whole secondary stunk this last year, not just Gay or Ike or Clark or Carter, it was everyone without Troy. I think if Troy stays healthy we have a top 5 pass defense, if he doesnt, we have a top 20 pass defense. That is just the way it is.

scudmissile29
04-23-2010, 10:47 PM
high with Gay perhaps...

maybe u can refuel his motor after you want to say sorry for all the bullshit non support u just said, i cant wait until he proves you wrong, and when u guys want to say sorry, i hope he tells u to shut the **** up.

Black@Gold Forever32
04-23-2010, 10:57 PM
QUOTE=Richmond Rukus;345287]I haven't completely given up on Gay yet either, and I know I am in the minority. Although I'm skeptical. He did a pretty good job a couple years ago in spot duty, and he was a first year starter with no Troy or Smith last year. One can only hope he found out what it takes to be a starter in this league, and worked accordingly in the offseason. I do, however, feel this is being overly optimistic. This is his last chance to compete before we cut ties IMO.[/QUOTE]

Willie Gay is what he is an nickel corner that can come in spot start if a starter goes down...He did fine when he stepped when McFadden was injured in 2008......I think 2009 proved Gay isn't a 16 game starter......Even though nickel corners see a ton of playing time in today's NFL and really are a starter.....But I think Gay is fine as a third corner and nothing wrong with that especially since he was only a 5th round pick....

We still have Burnett and Lewis on the roster and I didn't see enough of them to say they stink or will be solid....The coaching staff must see something in them....I expect a DB to be drafted at some point either a corner or safety.....

I really like Robert Johnson from Utah.....He is a FS with ball skills.....

andyg1984
04-23-2010, 11:21 PM
keep an eye on burnett this year, but im wondering here if selvie/schofield (sp?) would have had better value later??

cox in the 4th has to get a look despite the character concerns ..

V_83
04-23-2010, 11:25 PM
maybe u can refuel his motor after you want to say sorry for all the bullshit non support u just said, i cant wait until he proves you wrong, and when u guys want to say sorry, i hope he tells u to shut the **** up.

I don't think he's trying to say that Worilds will be all sorts of awful and will never be worth it, it's just that we used a second round pick on an OLB when we probably need more help in other areas.

Worilds may very well be a beast like Woodley in a few years, but there is no way :imho:, he starts for a while. So why not try to address other areas that need help now?

I'm not against the pick myself. I'm just surprised by it considering some of the other people still on the board.

Callax
04-23-2010, 11:29 PM
WTF????

We need DB's and with Troy hurt last year, we stunk!!!!!
This exposed how important Troy is and we need better players in the secondary!!!!!

I hope the players picked up last year Keenan, Lewis improved 1000% from last year!!!

scudmissile29
04-23-2010, 11:31 PM
I don't think he's trying to say that Worilds will be all sorts of awful and will never be worth it, it's just that we used a second round pick on an OLB when we probably need more help in other areas.

Worilds may very well be a beast like Woodley in a few years, but there is no way :imho:, he starts for a while. So why not try to address other areas that need help now?

I'm not against the pick myself. I'm just surprised by it considering some of the other people still on the board.

woodley wasn't suprised to start for us year two either, but haggans went,

im just fed up with people always being ****ing miserable, u dont see me ****ing slitting my wrists over not having earl thomas.

some people just need to shut the **** up and watch them learn from the best and play like the best.

i have all the confidence in the world with the hokie, bias aside he had a great bowl game against tennessee and outplayed people like eric berry, dan williams in that game

Black@Gold Forever32
04-23-2010, 11:36 PM
Worilds is going to help the special teams right now.....Beamer Ball is all about special teams and Worilds learned from Beamer........I'm not knocking the pick but I just don't know if he is the next Joey Porter, Jason Gildon, LaMaar Woodley, or the next Alonzo Jackson, Bruce Davis......I know the Steelers needed to groom another OLB behind Harrison and Woodley.....There isn't anything behind them......Hopefully Worilds can at least pick up the defense fast enough to maybe even see some action at OLB by mid-season to spell Harrison/Woodley a few snaps during games....

BFISHIN80
04-24-2010, 01:33 AM
Our secondary was horrid last year....nice to see they care.

chisteeler
04-24-2010, 02:14 AM
People, you have to trust that the DC guru knows exactly how to insert and utilize this young man in a defense that has ALWAYS been famous for it's linebackers. You can not expect instant success, but you can expect tenacity, willingness, and the desire to produce. Give yourselves the patience that is expected and I assure you that he will produce, if not he'll be cut or traded. Ask yourselves this...What where your initial thoughts on James Harrison? Hmm..Hmm? Now look, we all cheer his destructive abilities...Go figure.

Big T
04-24-2010, 05:12 AM
Im not completely against the pick...He wouldnt have been the pick if it were me picking but it he isnt horrible...He's a bit overrated and will be a project for a couple years...He has all the potential to be great but is really, really raw...he does have great athleticism and a good motor...Keith butler said he ran a 4.5-something 40 when they worked him out...He's a better prospect than Bruce Davis was....it gives us some depth at OLB and a potential starter, in place of James Harrison, in 3-4 years...he will be a good special teams player at first and possibly a rotational player though I dont see him making it onto the field on D very much this year(maybe in some nickel situations)...when you have James Harrison and LaMarr Woodley, you dont take them out... you keep them on the field as long as you can....

Plus, Perrish Cox is still on the board...he may need trading up for but he would be a good addition to the secondary....

JensK
04-24-2010, 06:53 AM
So, i sat down at watched a bunch of tape on this guy, and heres a couple of things:

He gets extreamly fast of the snap, and seems to catch tackles off guard because he is in their face before they even get in their stance. The guy has freakish athleticism, and he does show moves. He seems like he can do them all, Bullrush, spinmoves (although this Jared Allen like spinmoves), swimmoves and so on. He is very raw though, and will need to get them refined. He is strong compared to his size, and really fast. He does not play the run very well, but im pretty sure he could learn a bunch from both Woodley and Harrison. As i said, he is raw, but hes got tremandous amount of upsides and he is battletested. This could potentially be a very good pick, and it allows us to ignore OLB in the early rounds for a while now.

edit: Big T, i agree that we should trade for Cox. The guy can ball. He should have been drafted way higher imo.

coldrolled
04-24-2010, 07:51 AM
we just got our brandon graham.... this guy is bigger and faster.
he will play this year.

UKSTEELER
04-24-2010, 08:00 AM
I agree about cox, how is he still there?

We need to get it done!

scudmissile29
04-24-2010, 08:33 AM
Im not completely against the pick...He wouldnt have been the pick if it were me picking but it he isnt horrible...He's a bit overrated and will be a project for a couple years...He has all the potential to be great but is really, really raw...he does have great athleticism and a good motor...Keith butler said he ran a 4.5-something 40 when they worked him out...He's a better prospect than Bruce Davis was....it gives us some depth at OLB and a potential starter, in place of James Harrison, in 3-4 years...he will be a good special teams player at first and possibly a rotational player though I dont see him making it onto the field on D very much this year(maybe in some nickel situations)...when you have James Harrison and LaMarr Woodley, you dont take them out... you keep them on the field as long as you can....

Plus, Perrish Cox is still on the board...he may need trading up for but he would be a good addition to the secondary....

Overrated.... please.... i hope you said that when woodley was picked

NCSteeler
04-24-2010, 08:53 AM
Why does everyone think some 2nd or 3rd round CB is going to come in and start day one?

Patients... the coaches aren't ready to cut their two CB picks from a year ago.

I would like to see them pick up a 3-4 DE today. Kinda wonder why weren't even rumored to be in the Adam Carriker deal, a nice pick up for a 5th rd

coldrolled
04-24-2010, 08:54 AM
I agree about cox, how is he still there?

We need to get it done!

bruce campbell is still there.. every brainiac mock draft had him in the first round...

everson griffin also...

scudmissile29
04-24-2010, 08:58 AM
bruce campbell is still there.. every brainiac mock draft had him in the first round...

everson griffin also...

bruce campbell was projected as a third-fifth round prospect minus his combine performence based on tape.

coldrolled
04-24-2010, 09:26 AM
exactly the reason I did not mention Gay, and agreed it needs to be addressed. Just not sure if it is as dire of a need as many think. But just like everyone else, I honestly don't know.

if worilds cant relieve woodley and harrison in his first year for just a few plays a game.
thats insane.

what is another CB draft pick going to help right now. don't they need two years of sitting on the bench??? all this sitting on the bench crap is nuts..
we need to sign a veteran FA CB and its fixed.. not sure why we didnt.

watch the ravens, odrick will be on the field, mt. cody will be in for run plays.
they wont be on a bench for two years....

DanRooney
04-24-2010, 09:26 AM
Why does everyone think some 2nd or 3rd round CB is going to come in and start day one?

Patients... the coaches aren't ready to cut their two CB picks from a year ago.

I would like to see them pick up a 3-4 DE today. Kinda wonder why weren't even rumored to be in the Adam Carriker deal, a nice pick up for a 5th rd

Because our FO knows nothing about free agency.

Black@Gold Forever32
04-24-2010, 09:58 AM
I saw this on another Steelers site.....thought you guys would be interested......Bill Polian had this to say about Jason Worilds and I think Polian knows what he is talking about.....

A legend in this league, Bill Polian, was asked about his first RD pick Jerry Hughes on Sirius. He said he fits them perfectly, but as a Senior he played alot of 5 technique, and even from a 4 pt stance that didn't utilize his ability to the fullest. He went to say Hughes was an elite pass rusher, and one of only 2 players the Colts had on thier board that they felt could turn the corner in a pass rush move with the combination of size and speed.

the other one was Jason Worilds, he said Hughes and Worilds were basically 1A and 1B as pass rushers on their board. And after these 2 players, there was a decided drop off in elite pass rushing ability

Dobre Shunka
04-24-2010, 10:12 AM
Jason Worilds is a rushing blitzing machine and a Steeler before we ever drafted him.
Whenever you hear "where do the Steelers find em?" type statements and such, well...

Welcome Worilds to the Steelers!:clap:

LatrobePA
04-24-2010, 10:13 AM
Didn't the FO call out Tomlin for not starting the younger players more this past year??

JensK
04-24-2010, 10:15 AM
They did not call out Tomlin, because Steelers have always done it that way, but they did say that they wanted rookies to have a bigger impact. Worild is going to play ST this year, and probably start rotating next year (maybe this year if he is amazing in camp)

LatrobePA
04-24-2010, 11:24 AM
Gotcha!

They did not call out Tomlin, because Steelers have always done it that way, but they did say that they wanted rookies to have a bigger impact. Worild is going to play ST this year, and probably start rotating next year (maybe this year if he is amazing in camp)

Real Deal Steel
04-24-2010, 12:14 PM
Only time will tell but I cant help seeing what kind of beasts the Ravens are bringing in Cody and Kindle there def just got nastier

Screw the Ravens!! Ravens still have the weakest CB's in the league and I don't care what else they do..until they get some CB's they are of no concern to me.

--- Added 4/24/2010 at 11:14 AM ---

I saw this on another Steelers site.....thought you guys would be interested......Bill Polian had this to say about Jason Worilds and I think Polian knows what he is talking about.....

A legend in this league, Bill Polian, was asked about his first RD pick Jerry Hughes on Sirius. He said he fits them perfectly, but as a Senior he played alot of 5 technique, and even from a 4 pt stance that didn't utilize his ability to the fullest. He went to say Hughes was an elite pass rusher, and one of only 2 players the Colts had on thier board that they felt could turn the corner in a pass rush move with the combination of size and speed.

the other one was Jason Worilds, he said Hughes and Worilds were basically 1A and 1B as pass rushers on their board. And after these 2 players, there was a decided drop off in elite pass rushing ability

Bill Polian is one of the top 5 GM's in this league. Worilds is going to be a good one for us. We desperately needed depth and we got it.

Zachintosh66
04-24-2010, 01:54 PM

nvm... they had to bring back Mcfaddy to make Gay look like nickle cb again... :lol:

Real Deal Steel
04-24-2010, 05:15 PM
We look solid. All the way around now. And we even addressed changes on the special teams too. I love what we did today. I see 10-11 wins and another division title.

nuclearchihuahuas
04-24-2010, 05:18 PM

Gay-5th
Mundy-6th
Lewis-3rd
Burnett-5th

Well then please...by all means...COACH THEM UP!

scudmissile29
04-26-2010, 02:10 PM
zBzLNXDuTGA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBzLNXDuTGA

K Train
04-26-2010, 02:20 PM
This pick is probably the reason "K" isn't here, probably threw his TV and COMPUTER out his window.
DON'T JUMP IT'S NOT WORTH IT K

haha i did not like the pick, but it was nothing like kraig urbik.

i didnt like it, i dont like it, i wasnt high on worilds, im still not high on worilds. but this draft was amazing so im not gonna bitch

tate or cody would have been much better though

scudmissile29
04-26-2010, 03:34 PM
No they wouldn't of I cant wait until Worilds proves u wrong

K Train
04-26-2010, 03:56 PM
hes not that good. hes got shoulders in shambles and he is only considered to have elite speed because if you looked up the definition of a fast track it would show a picture of a hokie. not even ohio states track is as good as VTs. he should have been a 3rd or 4th round pick. comparing him to jerry hughes as an OLB pass rusher and coverage guy is criminal by polian imo

Blazedby92
04-26-2010, 04:21 PM
haha i did not like the pick, but it was nothing like kraig urbik.

i didnt like it, i dont like it, i wasnt high on worilds, im still not high on worilds. but this draft was amazing so im not gonna bitch

tate or cody would have been much better though

I was thinking the same thing about tate and cody especially when I seen the rats take cody.

Real Deal Steel
04-26-2010, 11:44 PM
I was thinking the same thing about tate and cody especially when I seen the rats take cody.

Why the concern about a team that has the worse CB's in the league? Our line is upgraded and that means better protection to attack those weak corners. Reed can't protect every CB. And he's got one foot in the retirement community as it is.

Pouncy will be right there to contend with Cody.

DanRooney
04-27-2010, 01:59 AM
Player is good but the pick is terrible. Tate and Cody were the answer at that spot.

But it's awesome having 2 backup OLBs like Worilds and Gibson. We won't have to hold our breath if either Harrison or Woodley get hurt.

blevstone
04-27-2010, 02:15 AM
hes not that good. hes got shoulders in shambles and he is only considered to have elite speed because if you looked up the definition of a fast track it would show a picture of a hokie. not even ohio states track is as good as VTs. he should have been a 3rd or 4th round pick. comparing him to jerry hughes as an OLB pass rusher and coverage guy is criminal by polian imo

He ran a 4.51 for the Steelers in their private workout...I'd say that's some solid speed and I'm also going to say that the chances of you being right and two of the better judges of pass rushing talent in Indianapolis and Pittsburgh are wrong is reasonably slim. Both of those teams have two of the best pass rushers of any team in the NFL and for good reason...they choose those guys well and the Steelers in particular are excellent at picking them out.

I'm going to go ahead and say we probably know what we're doing with respect to our choosing of pass rushing OLBs.

JensK
04-27-2010, 04:11 AM
He ran a 4.51 for the Steelers in their private workout...I'd say that's some solid speed and I'm also going to say that the chances of you being right and two of the better judges of pass rushing talent in Indianapolis and Pittsburgh are wrong is reasonably slim. Both of those teams have two of the best pass rushers of any team in the NFL and for good reason...they choose those guys well and the Steelers in particular are excellent at picking them out.

I'm going to go ahead and say we probably know what we're doing with respect to our choosing of pass rushing OLBs.

Obviously Steelers know what they are doing, but you have to go into a draft as a 9-7 team with need before greed on your mind. Its a little tricky really, because if Steelers had planned to pick Gibson already, the Worild pick did not have to happen in the second round - chances are that he could have fallen to the third, although i doubt it. If they did not think Gibson would be there for them, then it was a logical pick, because most NFL teams seem to believe Worild is the second best OLB prospect in this years draft, and it was an area that needed to be addressed.

K Train
04-27-2010, 08:11 AM

yeah i love the argument of "zomg i trust the steeeelers front office they are the best!!! 6 rings!!!" take it for what it is, i may be wrong, i hope i am but i do know what im talking about. we took a guy that runs on the fastest track in the country, we took a guy that has chronic shoulder problems. ill give it to you that he intense and a relentless but to say hes the second best pass rusher in this draft, or 1b is ridiculous. clearly hughes, graham, kindle are better conversion guys and thats not even full time ends, they are OLBs.

the steelers make mistakes, alot of them...they are not the be all end all of football opertaions. and THIS isnt even me bitching because i dont hate the pick, i dont love it but this is far from hate. last year, pure hate across the board with almost every pick. this draft is ecstasy compared to last years

blevstone
04-27-2010, 10:57 AM
yeah i love the argument of "zomg i trust the steeeelers front office they are the best!!! 6 rings!!!" take it for what it is, i may be wrong, i hope i am but i do know what im talking about. we took a guy that runs on the fastest track in the country, we took a guy that has chronic shoulder problems. ill give it to you that he intense and a relentless but to say hes the second best pass rusher in this draft, or 1b is ridiculous. clearly hughes, graham, kindle are better conversion guys and thats not even full time ends, they are OLBs.

the steelers make mistakes, alot of them...they are not the be all end all of football opertaions. and THIS isnt even me bitching because i dont hate the pick, i dont love it but this is far from hate. last year, pure hate across the board with almost every pick. this draft is ecstasy compared to last years

I didn't say I trust the front office implicitly or that they don't make mistakes...but if they take a guy like this who is an excellent athlete in the 2nd round as a pass rushing OLB, chances are he's got a real good chance of making it. When you add in that someone as fantastic at drafting as Polian singing this guys praises too, it makes it even more likely.

It's not ridiculous to call this guy the 2nd best pass rusher in the draft...how many times have we seen pass rusher after pass rusher fail in this league? Guys who were high profile and supposed great players just completely flop...just because YOU and your "expertise" say otherwise is not a legitimate argument.

K Train
04-27-2010, 11:14 AM
I didn't say I trust the front office implicitly or that they don't make mistakes...but if they take a guy like this who is an excellent athlete in the 2nd round as a pass rushing OLB, chances are he's got a real good chance of making it. When you add in that someone as fantastic at drafting as Polian singing this guys praises too, it makes it even more likely.

It's not ridiculous to call this guy the 2nd best pass rusher in the draft...how many times have we seen pass rusher after pass rusher fail in this league? Guys who were high profile and supposed great players just completely flop...just because YOU and your "expertise" say otherwise is not a legitimate argument.
many thought alonzo jackson and bruce davis were gonna be ****ing sick. i had some faith in jackson but davis was always a failed pick since day one. and yes it is kind of ridiculous to call this guy the second best pass rusher in the draft and by you using the steelers front office and bill polian as your only argument you fit in very well with the other sheep.

hes an excellent fit for the steelers defense, no question. i just dont think hes an excellent pick, the value wasnt there and whether you agree with me or not there were better players on the board. this draft was mostly insane value, just not the #2 pick.

you can tell me i dont know what im talking about, fine. theres been players out there that have made me look like a complete idiot, not so much steeler picks but other players. but there been alot of players that make me look brilliant. i know what im talking about and one day you will be like wow, that ****ing ******* on that steeler message board was right, worilds is pretty average and spends alot of the time with shoulder injuries.

all hokies have their speed overrated, its just the way the world works. worilds isnt a sack artist, hes a hurry specialist...he has poor sacks numbers but he gets pressure which is good, but undersized and made of glass are a really bad comination

DanRooney
04-27-2010, 12:05 PM
If you hold Worilds shoulder problems against him, you have to do the same about Kindle's chronic knee issues which is probably why he fell so far. walterfootball had Worilds as the 5th best OLB in the draft behind Pierre-Paull, Kindle, Hughes, and Misi. Thaddeus was ranked 7.

K Train
04-27-2010, 12:24 PM
If you hold Worilds shoulder problems against him, you have to do the same about Kindle's chronic knee issues which is probably why he fell so far. walterfootball had Worilds as the 5th best OLB in the draft behind Pierre-Paull, Kindle, Hughes, and Misi. Thaddeus was ranked 7.

gibson is not ranked that high, i know that...yet.

kindles knee problem is a relativity new issue and it doesnt look like he'll need the microfracture surgery anytime soon, but yeah thats why he fell and i figured hed be the one to fall just like everette brown did last year. i never looked at JPP as an OLB, im a USF fan and hes entirely too stupid to play that position he needs to just zone in on the QB and hope they dont start yelling out long division problems or hell start doing backflips to get away.

graham was hands down the best OLB this year, then morgan if he could make the transistion which i think he could have, then hughes who i dont think is in the best situation in indy since they have tiny or underachieving DTs and he will lack the strenth that freeney and mathis have to be effective.

i havent really read much on worilds recently, i didnt really see him as being on the steelers radar...but his shoulder MRIs seem to have been pretty clear from long term damage from what im finding. ive seen him play a handful of times and he was just a master of getting QB pressure...he didnt cause havoc in the backfield, he didnt cause turnovers, he left much to be desired in sacks. to be fair gibson really doesnt have the production either, but thats because he was far from a full time end unlike worilds, hes was roaming alot

i think worilds will take some time to get the hang of being an OLB...hes definitely smooth enough, fast enough and big enough but not everyone makes it look so easy of a transition like woodley (which was pretty amazing since hes like 270 pounds). im not angry at the pick, jsut thought it was a reach i think his potential is pretty high unlike our second pick last year or mr bruce davis

another thing about gibson is he did alot of things at OSU that we do and alot of people think he will have a very smooth transition to our defense, hes a pretty exciting pickup to me, worilds not so much. i had gibson in the second round, as did alot of people and some even thought his athleticism could sneak him into a first round surprise. almost makes me glad he didnt have eye popping stats his first year as a full time starter cause hes gonna end up being a steal

blevstone
04-27-2010, 01:38 PM
Well...regarding Worilds, there were a few things that he had to deal with last season that limited his "stats" and probably resulted in him being rated lower by some than he should have been. First of all, you can only put so much stock in stats from a guy playing at LE in the 4-3 because it is generally going to be the least productive of the DEs stat wise and one of the lesser productive overall in the defense because of the placement along the line and the attention that player usually receives. On top of that, he received A LOT of double teams and extra attention because of how dangerous he was there and at LE it's a lot easier for teams to devote extra attention there with the TE generally lining up there as well. He roamed a bit but generally he played out of that position and received extra attention no matter where they put him.

As a sophomore he had 18.5 tackles for a loss and 8 sacks...with a ton more focus put on him by opposing offenses last season, those dropped to 11 tackles for a loss and 4.5 sacks which is still solid from that LDE position. He's quicker than fast and I think will be an excellent pass rusher for us.

Secondly, I'm not nearly as concerned about the injury issues as you seem to be. He would not have been drafted in the 2nd round if we hadn't checked him out and felt comfortable with the results. We have the luxury of having both him and Gibson which means that we can allow for his shoulder to be 100% before we ever will feel the need to really use him extensively...I don't think that will be an issue at all.

K Train
04-27-2010, 02:09 PM
like i dont get what your arguing about, i like him ok and i think he can be good but he leaves me unexcited and i think he was a reach. if stats meant everything to me i wouldnt touch gibson. you act like i hate him, i dont hate him...i question the pick, but i feel way better about it than i did hood or urbik. i know hes a good player, but worilds would be along the top of my overrated list this year

blevstone
04-27-2010, 04:12 PM
like i dont get what your arguing about, i like him ok and i think he can be good but he leaves me unexcited and i think he was a reach. if stats meant everything to me i wouldnt touch gibson. you act like i hate him, i dont hate him...i question the pick, but i feel way better about it than i did hood or urbik. i know hes a good player, but worilds would be along the top of my overrated list this year

You're arguing like it was a pretty terrible pick...like we reached big time for him and that he won't be all that good and I simply disagree on all fronts.

K Train
04-27-2010, 04:21 PM
i think it was a mild reach, decent yet unspectacular player with high potential, but a high fail rate too. not gonna lie im a little bitter about passing on cody, tate, spikes and murphy for him, i can admit that

strong D
04-27-2010, 04:55 PM
You're arguing like it was a pretty terrible pick...like we reached big time for him and that he won't be all that good and I simply disagree on all fronts.

it was a reach he would of been there in the 3rd

Black@Gold Forever32
04-27-2010, 05:01 PM
I made the statement when Worilds was drafted that I hope he is more Woodley then Zo Jackson......I have my doubts about Worilds but I just thought it was interesting on what Bill Polian thought about Worilds as a player....You can't knock Polians track record of evaluating NFL talent....Of course he makes mistakes but often he does get it right.....

I like the fact Worilds played under Frank Beamer......We know Worilds will contribute and improve the kick coverage.......Beamer is a special teams guru.....

I hope Jason Worilds is going to be a beast and I like his potential.....If the Steelers hit home runs with Worilds and Gibson then look out......

--- Added 4/27/2010 at 04:01 PM ---

i think it was a mild reach, decent yet unspectacular player with high potential, but a high fail rate too. not gonna lie im a little bitter about passing on cody, tate, spikes and murphy for him, i can admit that

I wanted Golden Tate badly and yea I was disappointed we didn't draft Tate but I'm not going to hold it against Jason Worilds......

I like Cody but dude I'm not convinced he won't eat himself out of the NFL one day...Yea he dropped the weight before the draft but he had to drop the weight if he didn't want to slip out of the first two rounds....

I like Spikes as well.....But will he be a three down player in the NFL?

Worilds was a reach according to some and wasn't a reach to some....I read one report that Worilds rated as the 52 best prospect in the draft......

blevstone
04-27-2010, 05:22 PM
it was a reach he would of been there in the 3rd

I don't think he would have...gonna have to agree to disagree on that one. He wouldn't have made it back to us in the 3rd.

tburg68
04-27-2010, 06:01 PM

I wanted Cody or Spikes. If the FO has the stones to move Harrison inside and start Gibson on the outside, all will be forgiven. Worilds can be a situational rusher to spell both outside backers. Woodley is elite, and I have a good feeling with the Steelers coaching him, that Gibson will be also.

Real Deal Steel
04-27-2010, 11:13 PM
I wanted Cody or Spikes. If the FO has the stones to move Harrison inside and start Gibson on the outside, all will be forgiven. Worilds can be a situational rusher to spell both outside backers. Woodley is elite, and I have a good feeling with the Steelers coaching him, that Gibson will be also.

Well said. Worilds will be situational and next year he'll be able to start if need be.

blevstone
04-28-2010, 12:06 PM
I love how everyone is just so convinced that Gibson is just going to be better than Worilds and all this talk about him just being a situational player. I think Worilds will be starting for us long before Gibson will be.

BlackGold4vr
04-28-2010, 12:19 PM
I love how everyone is just so convinced that Gibson is just going to be better than Worilds and all this talk about him just being a situational player. I think Worilds will be starting for us long before Gibson will be.

:plus1: Worilds is almost the carbon copy of Lamar Woodley. Some cling to an old shoulder injury to the reason as why he will fail. I believe he will be a star 2 or 3 years down the road for us. In the mean time our special teams is getting a huge boost from these rookies. I like Sylvester too. I expect all three to make the team.

tburg68
04-28-2010, 01:30 PM
:plus1: Worilds is almost the carbon copy of Lamar Woodley. Some cling to an old shoulder injury to the reason as why he will fail. I believe he will be a star 2 or 3 years down the road for us. In the mean time our special teams is getting a huge boost from these rookies. I like Sylvester too. I expect all three to make the team.

I disagree totally with this. Woodley is a 270lb beast of relentless pash rush. Worilds is much lighter and faster, with a history of being soft. I hope that Worilds becomes a Pro Bowl OLB. I will be happy to give him props and say he did more than I expected. I have seen a lot of Gibson play. He has the body and the physical skill set IMO to handle full time OLB duties in the Steelers 3-4. This is coming from a Michigan fan, so I am not biased toward the Buckeyes, I hate OSU. Gibson is a physical monster who would have played a lot more on almost any other team, but The Vest likes to rotate all of his players to keep everyone experienced. If Gibson would have played for UM, I think he would have had stats closer to Grahamn.

K Train
04-28-2010, 01:47 PM

fail. hes literally nothing like woodley. woodley is unblockably strong, woodley is vicious and relentless, woodley is pretty slow but so strong it doesnt matter, woodley is average in coverage but spectacular for his build and body type. graham is a carbon copy of woodley in a creepy way...do you think worilds and graham were similar prospects because other than their position they really arent.

worilds relies on speed, he cant shed blocks, he wont dazzle you with sack numbers but he will get QB hurries. hes way more like clark haggans than woodley, he wishes he was like woodley

they were both second round picks, the play similar positions...the comparison ends there

tburg68
04-28-2010, 02:00 PM
fail. hes literally nothing like woodley. woodley is unblockably strong, woodley is vicious and relentless, woodley is pretty slow but so strong it doesnt matter, woodley is average in coverage but spectacular for his build and body type. graham is a carbon copy of woodley in a creepy way...do you think worilds and graham were similar prospects because other than their position they really arent.

worilds relies on speed, he cant shed blocks, he wont dazzle you with sack numbers but he will get QB hurries. hes way more like clark haggans than woodley, he wishes he was like woodley

they were both second round picks, the play similar positions...the comparison ends there

Gibson on the other hand.............!!!!!!!!!!!!

K Train
04-28-2010, 02:13 PM
im not even saying gibson is better (he is) but that comparison is off.

gibson is more like a cross between harrison and timmons. hes got the harrison strength, but hes got the timmons athletic ability. i guarantee that gibson plays all over the field and they blitz the **** out of him, he'll be just as good of a blitzer at timmons

coldrolled
04-28-2010, 02:57 PM
im not even saying gibson is better (he is) but that comparison is off.

gibson is more like a cross between harrison and timmons. hes got the harrison strength, but hes got the timmons athletic ability. i guarantee that gibson plays all over the field and they blitz the **** out of him, he'll be just as good of a blitzer at timmons

you should like this link..

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2010/4/25/1443041/cowboys-draft-board-leaked

see who they had us picking:yellowthumb:

Black@Gold Forever32
04-28-2010, 06:40 PM
Worilds sort of reminds me of a former Steeler.....Haggans was a nice call and I really could see that Ktrain......But I Worilds sort of reminds me of Jason Gildon....I'm not saying Worilds will go on to have the success Gildon had but just making a comparison.....

coldrolled
04-30-2010, 08:15 AM
Steelers' Worilds man of his word

Friday, April 30, 2010
By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
John Bazemore/Associated PressThe Steelers drafted Virginia Tech linebacker Jason Worilds in the second round.Jason Worilds had planned on spending the second night of the National Football League draft watching television and doing pushups, a reminder of the way he first started working out to build himself into a 6-foot-2, 262-pound defensive terror -- just doing pushups.

But when his name was called in the second round with the 52nd overall pick by the Steelers, it was a reminder and a salute to his mom, Sandra, who did everything for the youngest of her two sons, including being his prom date.

"We've always been close," Sandra Worilds said. "I always tried to instill in him to be positive and be respectful. I told him as long as you remain the person you are and respect people, they will respect you. Jason is a really good example of that."

Three years ago, the outside linebacker from Virginia Tech was known as Jason Adjepong, which was the legal name of his father. But, to honor his mom, he went to a Virginia courthouse and legally reclaimed the name -- Worilds (pronounced "worlds") -- he was given at birth before his father switched it.

That way, whenever his name was called on television or at the stadium -- and even during the NFL draft -- it would be a tribute to Sandra Worilds, who spent a lot of her time working in a hospital and at several private nursing jobs in Rahway, N.J., to help raise her sons.

"Whenever my name was called, I wanted it to say 'Worilds,' " he said Thursday, making his way through the Newark Airport to come to Pittsburgh for the three-day rookie minicamp that begins today. "That way it would honor my mom.

"I love my mom, I love the values she gave me. She did a lot for me. Everything I do in my life is for her."

That Worilds name was called by the Steelers was something of a surprise.

Penn State linebacker Sean Lee, who went to Upper St. Clair High School, appeared to be the player the Steelers were targeting in the second round after selecting Florida center Maurkice Pouncey with the 18th overall pick. They had a first-round grade on Lee and thought he fit the way they played better than any linebacker in the draft.

But, the Steelers did not think Lee would be available when it came their turn.

When he was, it seemed like an obvious choice. But coach Mike Tomlin really liked Worilds, an undersized defensive end in college who fit nicely as a disruptive outside linebacker in a 3-4 defense -- something the Steelers were lacking behind James Harrison and LaMarr Woodley.

What's more, the return of Larry Foote in free agency gave the Steelers four inside linebackers, along with James Farrior, Lawrence Timmons and Keyaron Fox. Even though Farrior is 35, the need for depth was more dire on the outside, not inside.

So they passed on Lee and selected Worilds.

"Jason Worilds is a very athletic guy who can get after the quarterback," said director of football operations Kevin Colbert. "Teams started paying more attention to him this year and his sack production went down. But he was just as effective and just as disruptive, and probably had his best game of the year in his last game against Tennessee."

Worilds was not a stand-up pass rusher at Virginia Tech, where he recorded 34 tackles for losses and 15 sacks in 25 career starts. He played exclusively in a three-point stance, something the Steelers worry about when they try to project a defensive end as an outside linebacker in their defense.

But, when the Steelers went to Virginia Tech for a workout, linebackers coach Keith Butler was impressed with the way Worilds handled all the drills, including opening his hips and dropping into coverage.

"He probably had one of the best workouts this year of anyone we've seen," Butler said. "He was able to do things that we wanted him to do that we think he can do in this system."

That all sounds good to Worilds, who thinks he fits nicely into the mold of outside linebackers in the Steelers' defense.

"You look at those outside guys, James Harrison and LaMarr Woodley, and the way they get after the ball and how much passion they play with ... they're physical, explosive players," Worilds said. "I like to model my game after them. I'm excited to come in and learn as much as I can from those guys."

About that prom date.

Since he was in ninth grade, Worilds always told his mom he was going to take her to the prom when he was a senior at Cateret (N.J.) High School. But Sandra Worilds always dismissed the talk, telling her son he would change his mind once the time came.

"I told her I was going to do it and she would always say, 'Oh, you'll change your mind,' " Worilds said. "But I didn't."

It wasn't because Worilds couldn't get a date. He just wanted to take his mom.

"I thought he would change his mind," Sandra Worilds said Thursday, excited that her son's new team is less than a six-hour drive from her home. "But, sure enough, when he was a senior, he said, "What are you going to wear to the prom?' We did wind up going. It was nice."

If nothing else, Jason Worilds is a man of his word.