PDA

View Full Version : Goodell's conduct policy veering from mostly right to all wrong

steelers4life66
04-23-2010, 09:53 AM
I ran across this and thought it gave a new view of this hole Ben thing.The article is a bit long to quote. I suggest you read it, this guy made some very good points.

http://www.cbssports.com/print/columns/story/13243927/goodells-conduct-policy-veering-from-mostly-right-to-all-wrong?tag=button-bar;btn-print

ejsteeler
04-23-2010, 11:32 AM
I like it. Thanks for posting it up. :yellowthumb:

TampaSteelGirl
04-23-2010, 01:07 PM
Wow!! Nice article and coming from a non Ben fan...very good!

nuclearchihuahuas
04-23-2010, 01:19 PM
wow! excellent article! Thanks for posting it--I have been getting some ribbing for my opinion of the suspension and am usually dismissed as "steeler fan... of course you do not want him suspended"; but I have a very sensitive 'justice/injustice' internal meter and the alarms have been sounding for me very loudly. Goodell said it was an "intervention"--well hey Roger, how about requiring all the medical/psychological testing and suspending him for the appropriate 2 weeks? No Ben got such a severe penalty because he is the face of a franchise and Goodell wants to demonstrate his power--if he can get to a franchise quarterback he certainly can take down any one else. Never mind that in doing so he is unfairly influencing the entire season and playoffs!

TampaSteelGirl
04-23-2010, 01:30 PM
Personally I think Goodell made this decision on emotion...the media was hyping it up...players were all waiting and watching and everyone thought he would never come down on the franchise QB...well he did and I don't think he wanted the 6 game I think he did what everyone else wanted him to do....and this is why such a stiff penalty was placed. he's making Ben an example to the entire NFL..doesnt matter if you're convicted or not boys...you're going to get punished and punished to the max. I do believe they are sick of the embarrassment these men have brought to the NFL..drunk driving, assaults, fighting, shootings, drugs.....etc. Not right that he's using Ben as this example but unfortunately he is. I'm still not happy with a 4 game suspension but do feel he deserves at least 2 and to pay the half of the Steeler organization's fine from the NFL...this was way beyond but to me the media made this punishment much more worse for Ben :imho:

MattyVfromCT
04-23-2010, 05:24 PM
what i find is the biggest crock of **** is how goodell implied the suspension was more based on getting underage girls drunk, etc.

hmmm. that sounds familiar.............http://www.supervilleband.com/uploaded_images/Matt-Leinart-Beer-Bong-701373.bmp

yet nothing happened to this *** clown who had supplied underage girls with alcohol at his house on multiple occasions. and why did nothing happen to leinart? because he's a ****ing backup qb that nobody gives a **** about as opposed to a franchise qb who has won 2 super bowls and is the face of a franchise.

if goodell is all about "LAW AND ORDER", discipline, etc, fine. but don't be a hypocrite with double standards. watch, nothing will happen to eric foster either

SnakeEyes43
04-24-2010, 01:00 AM
:goodpost:
Completely agree, I forgot about Leinart! I heard a rumor that Ben's lawyer wanted to appeal the suspension...anyone know if there is any truth to this?

Stairwayto7
04-24-2010, 09:42 AM
:goodpost:
Completely agree, I forgot about Leinart! I heard a rumor that Ben's lawyer wanted to appeal the suspension...anyone know if there is any truth to this?

I hope so! And this better be a wake up call.

steelersbabex25
04-24-2010, 11:36 AM
To understand how strongly I feel about this position, you have to understand how strongly I dislike Ben Roethlisberger. He's a serial idiot -- a stupid, cocky caricature of the modern-day athlete. Teammates don't like him. I can't stand him. I tolerate his existence by ignoring him whenever possible, but I can't ignore what Goodell is about to do -- not merely to Roethlisberger, but to my idea of justice. Suspending a player for one or two incidents that didn't merit a single criminal charge is an injustice. Once upon a time, Goodell had the right idea when it came to policing his league. But that time has gone. The NFL has become a police state. Enough is enough.

This is pretty much what I think we've all been saying. I can't really say anymore because this article pretty much said it all..but yeah. He doesn't like Ben, nobody likes Ben. I think most Steelers fans don't even like Ben..I think most Steelers PLAYERS don't even like Ben. But this shouldn't be a question of whether he's liked or not, it's a question of whether or not he did the crime that he's now being suspended for, and there's no evidence for that. It's exactly what this guy said..they're accusations. And it's unfair that the one that Goodell chooses to make an example of is Ben, and he probably didn't even do anything.

But yeah..this article. Agree 100000%.

Real Deal Steel
04-24-2010, 11:58 AM
I think what Ben should to is be a good boy and do what is asked. He'll end up only missing 4 games. Then later, gather the facts, such as LIenert's antics for example and come back and sue Goodall and the league in the next off season. He would win because:

1. He was not convicted of any crimes to warrant such a suspension
2. There are other players (namely Leinert) who've done what he did and got no suspension