PDA

View Full Version : Steelers take Maurkice Pouncey, Center, Flordia, in Round 1, Pick 18

BlitzburghRockCity
04-22-2010, 09:27 PM
Welcome to the Steelers and all I can say is, it's about time we finally address the Offensive Line with a top pick in the draft!

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2010/profiles/maurkice-pouncey?id=497042

Captcoolhand
04-22-2010, 09:30 PM
Well you kinda seen that coming....At least we have a better Center now

StlersGuy
04-22-2010, 09:32 PM
I am happy with this pick. This is what I saw us doing and I am happy seeing that we will be building this team to play the kind of steelers football we know.

BlitzburghRockCity
04-22-2010, 09:33 PM
From what I heard they were ready to grab Iupati and then the 49ers snatched him up, so taking Pouncey was a no brainer at this point. The best at his position in the entire draft and way over due IMO.

greennick
04-22-2010, 09:33 PM
I am neither excited nor annoyed by this pick.

But I suppose it is hard to get excited about a Centre.

K Train
04-22-2010, 09:34 PM
YEAHHHHHHH MANNN

SnakeEyes43
04-22-2010, 09:35 PM
I was glad with this pick, we need to upgrade the O-line. Hopefully we pick up a CB in the second round.

Ironman
04-22-2010, 09:36 PM
I'm not sold on him, but I've read/heard good things. Like last year's draft, I'm not exactly jumping with joy. There's a lot of talent left on that board that we passed on, I'm praying Pouncey is ready to go and is as good as all the analyst are making him out to be.

K Train
04-22-2010, 09:38 PM
hes so good dude. sex on turf at the center position. smooth, silky smooth

SteelerEyeZ
04-22-2010, 09:39 PM
Not excited at all....but its a center so how can i be....hopefully he can make a good impact and get some timing with our QB for the first 4-6 weeks on handoffs and then he blends well with ben

BlitzburghRockCity
04-22-2010, 09:40 PM
It's not a sexy pick, but God knows our line is indeed of some improvements and he's the best place to get it moving in the right direction.

K Train
04-22-2010, 09:42 PM
hes not a sexy flashy pick but it was a huge need. 2 years in a row harwig gave up the most sacks for a center. he gets steam rolled by bum DTs. he will make probowls...soon

LarryNJ
04-22-2010, 09:43 PM
sex on turf at the center position. smooth, silky smooth

We need that! :tt02:

Black@Gold Forever32
04-22-2010, 09:46 PM
Pouncey is the best center prospect to come out in the last 15-20 years in my opinion.......he will be better then Mangold........He will help greatly against the blitz....Even if he doesn't start at center right away he will start at RG........The Steelers needed to add an elite talent to the OL and they finally did....I love this pick.....

Stlrs4Life
04-22-2010, 09:47 PM
I like the pick. Like TG said, it's about time we drafted high on the OL.

BlitzburghRockCity
04-22-2010, 09:51 PM
Pouncey is the best center prospect to come out in the last 15-20 years in my opinion.......he will be better then Mangold........He will help greatly against the blitz....Even if he doesn't start at center right away he will start at RG........The Steelers needed to add an elite talent to the OL and they finally did....I love this pick.....

I know man, we've been screaming to address the line in the 1st round for years and finally they pull the trigger. Perhaps some of the pressure that keeps coming busting up the middle can be alleviated now.

kgreen
04-22-2010, 09:53 PM
I think this pick is very sexy! I love it man it's about time we did this! I have grown tired of them drafting skill guys in the early rounds. We need to boost up our needs. It started here and I hope it continues in the rounds to come.

scudmissile29
hmm welcome.

i hope we can defend against a potent ravens attack, polamalu coming back wont fix this, with him in the lineup favre almost put 350 or more so yards on us i think.

K Train
this is something to be excited about people

Black@Gold Forever32
04-22-2010, 09:56 PM
I know man, we've been screaming to address the line in the 1st round for years and finally they pull the trigger. Perhaps some of the pressure that keeps coming busting up the middle can be alleviated now.

I really think the interior of our OL will be much improved....I don't think Pouncey will start right away at center especially with Hartwig still under contract but once he does I think he will such a help on the interior which will make our OG's that much better.....No more Mahan's or Hartwig's as our starting center....Pouncey has the potential to maybe be our next Dermontti Dawson...I think he is that damn good......

PsychoWard
04-22-2010, 09:57 PM
yea it is not an exciting pick but i am very happy with it we defiantly need it!!! good pick!!!1:woot:

K Train
04-22-2010, 10:00 PM
everyone on the oline just got better, if your not excited...be excited

kgreen
04-22-2010, 10:01 PM
I really think the interior of our OL will be much improved....I don't think Pouncey will start right away at center especially with Hartwig still under contract but once he does I think he will such a help on the interior which will make our OG's that much better.....No more Mahan's or Hartwig's as our starting center....Pouncey has the potential to maybe be our next Dermontti Dawson...I think he is that damn good......

That is a BIG statement and complement towards the young man. I hope he develops that good, we need it in the worst way. I am really excited for this kid.

HUNT4SEVEN
04-22-2010, 10:04 PM
Great Pick we are set at that position for the next 10-13 years he's only 20 years old way to go FO...

K Train
04-22-2010, 10:05 PM
hes only 20...he will be a regular at the pro bowl. i havent said that about a steeler pick in....forever

JensK
04-22-2010, 10:16 PM
hes only 20...he will be a regular at the pro bowl. i havent said that about a steeler pick in....forever

Pffft... you were all over Ziggy! :banana: (And yes, we can joke about it right now.. Broncos picked ****ing Tebow... That single pick is more terrible than our whole draft last year )

BlitzburghRockCity
04-22-2010, 10:26 PM
If he shows promise at camp of picking things up right away then I say give him the chance to compete with Hartwig right away...if not then he'll sit for awhile and maybe work his way in later in the year or definitely in 2011.

strong D
04-22-2010, 10:27 PM
not sexy but a smart pick hes a cant miss kinda guy he will be good

Blazedby92
04-22-2010, 10:30 PM
I finally got my wish an early present, THANK YOU JESUS!!!!!!:clap::cope::tt02::greenbounce2::greenb ounce2::greenbounce2::greenbounce2::greenbounce2:: greenbounce2::bunny::banana::yesnod::lol::nahnah:: grin1::clap::imho:

greennick
04-22-2010, 10:30 PM
if he won't be starting right away, can he play guard in the meantime?

strong D
04-22-2010, 10:32 PM
if he doesnt start at center this yr he will be the starting rg

K Train
04-22-2010, 10:34 PM
hes instantly one of the best 2 linemen on the team.

now we gotta get his brother next year

strong D
04-22-2010, 10:36 PM

ya hes right up there with kemo

Captcoolhand
04-22-2010, 10:38 PM
Pffft... you were all over Ziggy! :banana: (And yes, we can joke about it right now.. Broncos picked ****ing Tebow... That single pick is more terrible than our whole draft last year )
:wtf: How in the hell did Te-nuts go in the 1st round with Clausen still on the board...:eek1:

How in the hell did he go in the first period!

Blazedby92
04-22-2010, 10:52 PM
WHO CARES WE HAVE POUNCEY,:yellowthumb:

--- Added 4/22/2010 at 09:52 PM ---

Wishful thinking, Now that would be to good to be true. Quit teasing

PsychoWard
04-22-2010, 10:56 PM
WHO CARES WE HAVE POUNCEY,:yellowthumb:

hell yea :woot:

bobbybelliv
04-22-2010, 10:58 PM
Great pick! This guy is a BEAST, so vesatile. Tebo wouldnt have been half as good w/ out him. If Byron gets the start for the first for it should open up hella oppurtunities for him.

K Train
04-22-2010, 11:11 PM
heres to never seeing harwig get steam rolled again. i think pouncey might be nervous to bend ovr in front of ben but he'll get over it

Ironman
04-22-2010, 11:13 PM
Pouncey is the best center prospect to come out in the last 15-20 years in my opinion.......he will be better then Mangold.

Wow. I don't understand how everyone can be so certain about this guy. Putting him up there with the elite of the game- without even playing a game, let a lone a single snap in the NFL. I think he's got the potential, and I had no idea he was just 20 years old, but I just don't share everyone's explosive enthusiasm.

Would you rather Lupati (spelling) or Pouncey? I've never been great at selecting lineman, but considering what everyone is saying, he should be the next Hartings and then some.

PsychoWard
04-22-2010, 11:14 PM
heres to never seeing harwig get steam rolled again. i think pouncey might be nervous to bend ovr in front of ben but he'll get over it

:haha: thats funny i don't care who you are!!!

MattyVfromCT

LMAO!

Ironman
heres to never seeing harwig get steam rolled again

And one more thing, why the hell did the Steelers extend Hartwig? I mean they gave him some generous #'s, years and $

K Train
04-22-2010, 11:17 PM
Wow. I don't understand how everyone can be so certain about this guy. Putting him up there with the elite of the game- without even playing a game, let a lone a single snap in the NFL. I think he's got the potential, and I had no idea he was just 20 years old, but I just don't share everyone's explosive enthusiasm.

Would you rather Lupati (spelling) or Pouncey? I've never been great at selecting lineman, but considering what everyone is saying, he should be the next Hartings and then some.

iupati is not what we need....pouncey is. this is an awesome pick. hes right on par with mangold as a prospect and mangold is the best center in the league

Ironman
04-22-2010, 11:28 PM
iupati is not what we need....pouncey is. this is an awesome pick. hes right on par with mangold as a prospect and mangold is the best center in the league

I'm not saying Lupati is better, but that's who Pouncey was basically matched with during the pre-draft analysis. I know Mangold is the best center, that's why I can't imagine a rookie who has yet to play a snap in the NFL being compared to him. Rookie C's rarely achieve pro-bowl status in 1 year.

I understand being excited, but I think people need to remove their heads from the clouds, he's got a lot to learn, but I do believe he's a good player. I just can't rate him next to the elite yet, I gotta see how he looks when the rest of the line collapses and he's left all alone. Pouncey at G sounds a lot better to me, I can see him working well there as a rook.

--- Added 4/22/2010 at 10:28 PM ---

What do you think about the 2nd and 3rd round?

Black@Gold Forever32
04-22-2010, 11:30 PM

Its just my opinion and I'm hopeful for Pouncey.....I guess I'm just excited the Steelers finally added an elite prospect to the OL.....You can't deny the Steelers needed to upgrade their OL especially the interior........Of course Pouncey could bust and be a bum.....But I don't think so.........We shall see.....................

K Train
04-22-2010, 11:31 PM
I'm not saying Lupati is better, but that's who Pouncey was basically matched with during the pre-draft analysis. I know Mangold is the best center, that's why I can't imagine a rookie who has yet to play a snap in the NFL being compared to him. Rookie C's rarely achieve pro-bowl status in 1 year.

I understand being excited, but I think people need to remove their heads from the clouds, he's got a lot to learn, but I do believe he's a good player. I just can't rate him next to the elite yet, I gotta see how he looks when the rest of the line collapses and he's left all alone. Pouncey at G sounds a lot better to me, I can see him working well there as a rook.

clearly you dont know how depressed i was after evander hood.

i know that its not set in stone. im saying he has the ability to be a probowler in year one, take it for what its worth. im really not bad at evaluating this ****, i spend too much time doing it. im so glad they actually made this happen, it really needed to be done.

dont be too surprised when pouncey is in the pro bowl and urbik is out of the league. and hood is on the bench. its what i would have said from day one

cmerrifield
04-22-2010, 11:31 PM

Does it make you feel any better that Pouncey man-handled Cody during their game and did it most of the time by himself. That is a huge upgrade considering we face Roger twice a year, the Ratbirds twice a year and now 13 teams are playing the 3-4 Defense.

Ironman
04-22-2010, 11:35 PM
Its just my opinion and I'm hopeful for Pouncey.....I guess I'm just excited the Steelers finally added an elite prospect to the OL.....You can't deny the Steelers needed to upgrade their OL especially the interior........Of course Pouncey could bust and be a bum.....But I don't think so.........We shall see.....................

I'm not knocking the guy's skills whatsoever, I just don't share everyone's boisterous excitement/acclaim. And yes I certainly agree that the OL needed some fresh legs.

--- Added 4/22/2010 at 10:33 PM ---

Does it make you feel any better that Pouncey man-handled Cody during their game and did it most of the time by himself. That is a huge upgrade considering we face Roger twice a year, the Ratbirds twice a year and now 13 teams are playing the 3-4 Defense.

It kinda does, I just never got on the Cody train either. I've heard and read how great he is, but compared to what the Ratbirds are doing (by the way where is Joeflaccosayshi) I think we are definitely falling behind.

--- Added 4/22/2010 at 10:35 PM ---

clearly you dont know how depressed i was after evander hood.

I kinda feel the same way bout Pouncey as Hood- both capable players, but will they fit in our system? and will they make a significant impact rather quickly?? I began to like Hood after I saw his work ethic, but who knows, like you said, it could really go either way.

HUNT4SEVEN
04-22-2010, 11:37 PM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/382946-2010-nfl-draft-pittsburgh-steelers-selection-maurkice-pouncey

Ironman
04-22-2010, 11:40 PM
Hey, you guys coulda just said this was a transition back to good ol' Steelers football and I woulda jumped on immediately. If this guy means getting back to what we do best, I'll buy a Pouncey jersey tomorrow :grin1:

Real Deal Steel
04-22-2010, 11:41 PM
hmm welcome.

i hope we can defend against a potent ravens attack, polamalu coming back wont fix this, with him in the lineup favre almost put 350 or more so yards on us i think.

Hey, let me break down how the selection of Pouncey is so huge...

When you play great 3-4 defenses, the nose tackle usually requires a double-team (like Nalga of the Ravens) and then LB blitz into gaps made from the O-linemen double teaming. Now..pouncey can take Nalga one on one and we can handle the blitz better because gaps won't be there and we can now attack the Ravens secondary better because the Ravens cornerbacks are still weak. Pouncey's effect on that whole O-line will be huge. Trust me, the Ravens didn't like us taking Pouncey.

HUNT4SEVEN
04-22-2010, 11:44 PM
Hey, let me break down how the selection of Pouncey is so huge...

When you play great 3-4 defenses, the nose tackle usually requires a double-team (like Nalga of the Ravens) and then LB blitz into gaps made from the O-linemen double teaming. Now..pouncey can take Nalga one on one and we can handle the blitz better because gaps won't be there and we can now attack the Ravens secondary better because the Ravens cornerbacks are still weak. Pouncey's effect on that whole O-line will be huge. Trust me, the Ravens didn't like us taking Pouncey.

WELL said:clap::clap: I agree and he will be here for the next decade plus!:yellowthumb:I want this cat to play center right away and i think he will, Cause hartpig just gets misused to much i rather switch him to RG ( HartPig ) and plug Pouncey in day one...http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_college_uf/2010/04/gators-in-the-nfl-draft-maurkice-pouncey-one-of-floridas-surest-bets.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+sports%2Fcollege%2Fuf+%28Swam p+Things%29&utm_content=Google+Feedfetcher

Ironman
04-22-2010, 11:46 PM
he will be here for the next decade plus!:yellowthumb:

I thought Holmes would be here for at least 8 :evilshake:

Dobre Shunka
04-23-2010, 12:05 AM
Solid pickup!

Wasn't my first choice but with McClain and Thomas off the board this was a solid move as most have stated on here. He stays on his man forever, no one gets by him, but the most impressive thing is his pro like ability to find a man in open field where he then deals with him. That is what they try to teach Centers coming out of school into the pros and Pouncey already does it. Tebow wouldn't be talked about w/o Pouncey.

I think this was a gift, more or less, to our new O line coach.:2cents:

Silverback
04-23-2010, 12:06 AM
Hey, you guys coulda just said this was a transition back to good ol' Steelers football and I woulda jumped on immediately. If this guy means getting back to what we do best, I'll buy a Pouncey jersey tomorrow :grin1:

When do those jerseys go on sale?? ha

Zachintosh66
04-23-2010, 12:11 AM
Chances are Pouncey will get his shot at RG first, then eventually move to C. But anyone think he can unseat Hartwig sooner? Can Essex step up too? So which lineup is better?

C- Hartwig
RG- Pouncey
or
C- Pouncey
RG- Essex

Dobre Shunka
04-23-2010, 12:18 AM
Chances are Pouncey will get his shot at RG first, then eventually move to C. But anyone think he can unseat Hartwig sooner? Can Essex step up too? So which lineup is better?

Pouncey's position the day he arrives
C- Hartwig
RG- Pouncey

Eventually, sooner rather than later
C- Pouncey
RG- Essex

I think you got it about right there on both accounts.

Big T
04-23-2010, 12:32 AM
Extremely happy with Pouncey...he will immeditely upgrade the line. I dont know what some of you are talking about, this is the definition of a sexy pick...absolutely love the pick in the situation...I am very, very happy....

andyg1984
04-23-2010, 12:38 AM
this is so money ... the upgrade on the interior OL was obviously needed to help close games out, but the fact that he can pass protect is great when he plays next to kemo ...

he will easily make the o-line better ..

$teelersRule
04-23-2010, 12:52 AM
I think we change both of the weakest links on the line this year. Put Pouncey in at center then let Urbik and Fauster fight it out at RG this summer.

KRAZYRIDE
04-23-2010, 12:57 AM
Iupati is the man But I think Pouncy is just as good if not better. Imagine if Colon was moved to RG and we have Kemoeatu, Pouncy, and Colon as our interior linemen:helmet:

DanRooney
04-23-2010, 01:16 AM
Anyone feel that this new draft format was a little bland? Kiper and Tom Jackson seemed disinterested in the whole thing. They really didn't speak too much for the entire 4 hours and it just turned into the Jon Gruden show. There were no coaches in attendance as well talking about their picks. I really hope it turns back to a 2 day event with the 1st and 2nd rounds on day 1.

--- Added 4/23/2010 at 12:16 AM ---

DIESELMAN
04-23-2010, 01:38 AM
Just got a chance here at work to check out the draft. All I can say is :woot: we've been screamin and beggin for the Steelers to draft a stud for the OL. I am lovin this pick, like a lot of you have said, our whole OL just got a lot better. Granted there is a learning curve between CFB and the NFL, but that shouldn't keep him from starting on the line this year.

Big T
04-23-2010, 01:50 AM
He will start at RG immediately and hopefully sooner rather than later, take over for Hartwigs usless ***.....

DBR96A
04-23-2010, 05:48 AM
If anything, I'd prefer Maurkice Pouncey to start at C and shift Justin Hartwig to RG.

One thing to prepare for with Pouncey, though, is a few more fumbled snaps to start. There's always a period of acclamation between a QB and a new C, plus Pouncey is mostly used to shotgun snaps.

SteelersWoman
04-23-2010, 06:02 AM

Since Ben goes after women, I don't think the dude'll be worried about bendin' over :lol:

As far as gettin' Pouncey in the 1st, I'm THRILLED!

It's been way over due for us to get a decent center. With all the people (including myself) who've complained since Jeff retired, I'd have thought this would've better received than it seems to be. In fact, seems to me I remember a lot of people wanting to get a center high in the draft here a couple three years ago.

cmerrifield
04-23-2010, 07:08 AM
The problem with starting Pouncey at C this year, is that the C is in charge of adjusting the blocking assignments based on blitzes and stuff, he wont be ready for that, but certainly will be a beast of a right guard for a year

Zachintosh66
04-23-2010, 07:37 AM
I thought ESPN's coverage sucked... werent showing any of the trades (what teams were giving up)

Was NFLn any better?

K Train
04-23-2010, 08:03 AM
im so ****ing happy today

JensK
04-23-2010, 08:05 AM
I thought ESPN's coverage sucked... werent showing any of the trades (what teams were giving up)

Was NFLn any better?

NFLn was great imo. A little slow to update, compared to nfl.com and various twitter accounts, but overall good coverage imo.

cmerrifield
04-23-2010, 08:10 AM
I think the NFLn was better than ESPN, my friend kept switching back and forth for two reasons: No Mel Kiper and I love Rich Eisen.

JensK
04-23-2010, 08:31 AM
So, heres a little info about Pouncey:

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=5121848&

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7orZwI-tZQ

LatrobePA
04-23-2010, 08:37 AM
That's what I'm talking about, I agree Pro Bowl rookie year, mark it down!!

BlitzburghRockCity
04-23-2010, 09:00 AM

Was NFLn any better?

NFLN's coverage was great! They were on the money with every trade that came down, and weren't afraid to break off a conversation to get to the breaking news. Especially when all those trades started happening after the first 8 or 9 picks. They had Deon talking to the picks as they left the stage, and they had camera's in a lot of war rooms. I like listening to Mike Mayock's analysis. The only thing ESPN has on NFLN is Adam Schefter; because we all know LaCanfora knows nothing and only reports stuff as everybody else has either reported it or in the middle of doing so.

I tuned into ESPN for a just a few minutes but didn't care for their coverage at all. I think their on screen information about the draft and players was alittle more in depth than NFLN's but over all NFLN's was much cleaner and not as cluttered.

ejsteeler
04-23-2010, 09:09 AM
YEAHHHHHHH MANNN

I'm just glad we didn't have to read Train's suicide obit for a bad pick.....:lol:

coldrolled
04-23-2010, 09:42 AM

Was NFLn any better?

nfl.com showed what picks they gave up to move up....

that really makes the santonio trade a real disaster.. teams are giving up #2,#3 and #4
to swap up in the first round. we gave up a 5th for holmes... sucks....

our FO blew this major....

Danger DANJ
04-23-2010, 10:01 AM
When I saw Thomas go at 14, I held my breath hoping they would take Pouncey.

Did anyone else get a Steelers text message while the 49ers were waiting to make their pick at 17 saying the Steelers picked Pouncey? That was odd. How could they tell everyone before they actually announced it at the draft?

If Pouncey can learn fast, he can start at C this season, but I don't know if that can happen. Talent wise, he is far better than Hartwig right now.

So, what CB's are left worth taking in the 2nd?

Stlrs4Life
04-23-2010, 10:04 AM
If anything, I'd prefer Maurkice Pouncey to start at C and shift Justin Hartwig to RG.

One thing to prepare for with Pouncey, though, is a few more fumbled snaps to start. There's always a period of acclamation between a QB and a new C, plus Pouncey is mostly used to shotgun snaps.

The Center is used to call the line blocking. I would think that would be alot for a rookie to handle right away. Give him a year at RG, and learn from there.

Another story:

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Pouncey-was-their-man-all-along/3879ec6e-4724-4673-ae29-11bcb426d57f

Zachintosh66
04-23-2010, 10:08 AM
NFLN's coverage was great! They were on the money with every trade that came down, and weren't afraid to break off a conversation to get to the breaking news. Especially when all those trades started happening after the first 8 or 9 picks. They had Deon talking to the picks as they left the stage, and they had camera's in a lot of war rooms. I like listening to Mike Mayock's analysis. The only thing ESPN has on NFLN is Adam Schefter; because we all know LaCanfora knows nothing and only reports stuff as everybody else has either reported it or in the middle of doing so.

I tuned into ESPN for a just a few minutes but didn't care for their coverage at all. I think their on screen information about the draft and players was alittle more in depth than NFLN's but over all NFLN's was much cleaner and not as cluttered.

So tonight ill watch NFLN, and get mobile twitter updates from Adam_Schefter then :)

Also the wife is working tonight so maybe ill move the iMac into the living room :lol:

--- Added 4/23/2010 at 09:08 AM ---

DangerDan, Yes I got the text too way early!

SteelCityKid5
04-23-2010, 10:31 AM
So tonight ill watch NFLN, and get mobile twitter updates from Adam_Schefter then :)

Also the wife is working tonight so maybe ill move the iMac into the living room :lol:

--- Added 4/23/2010 at 09:08 AM ---

DangerDan, Yes I got the text too way early!

I switched between the two last night and can say NFLN was 10x better than ESPN. Thats all they do at ESPN is argue, they had odd camera angles, they were really slow with trades but the NFLN was all over it. Plus, I cant stand Steve Young talk. If Gruden stayed with the NFLN itd be perfect. Also I still dont like LaCanfora, bring back Schefter!

Big T
04-23-2010, 10:37 AM
im so ****ing happy today

me too bro...me too.

Stairwayto7
04-23-2010, 10:39 AM
Not a sexy pick, but the right pick. We`ll be set at Center or Guard.

BlackGold4vr
04-23-2010, 11:07 AM
Listening to the post-pick interview with Colbert and Tomlin they already stated that he would go into camp as the starting RG. They talked about the responsibilities of the center making all the line calls being too much to pile on a first year player. I would envision him moving over next year. In OTA's Legursky was playing 1st team center and Urbik was playing second team center. Perhaps Hartwig is toast. Regardless, our line just got a whole lot better. Coaching can only take you so far but cannot overcome natural talent. We now have a guy who has skills that some of our scrubs could only dream of having. He will make an impact this year!

K Train
04-23-2010, 11:11 AM
Listening to the post-pick interview with Colbert and Tomlin they already stated that he would go into camp as the starting RG. They talked about the responsibilities of the center making all the line calls being too much to pile on a first year player. I would envision him moving over next year. In OTA's Legursky was playing 1st team center and Urbik was playing second team center. Perhaps Hartwig is toast. Regardless, our line just got a whole lot better. Coaching can only take you so far but cannot overcome natural talent. We now have a guy who has skills that some of our scrubs could only dream of having. He will make an impact this year!

i doubt it means hartwig is toast...it probably means they wanted to get one last look at legursky. i think pouncey will dominate at RG, he and colon will be sex on the right side. mendenall is taking over the world this season.

they essentially drafted urbiks replacement cause he ****ing blows

Blazedby92
04-23-2010, 11:23 AM
So now all we need is a true LT and the line is set in stone.
I am with you K
I woke up very happy and content, I wanted ET but I prefer pouncy and here we are:greenbounce2:

K Train
04-23-2010, 11:25 AM
passing on bulaga was a little questionable, but idc ill take it. imo pouncey is more of a sure thing anyway

Blazedby92
04-23-2010, 11:30 AM
passing on bulaga was a little questionable, but idc ill take it. imo pouncey is more of a sure thing anyway

Thought about that too but I want mack or woods last year and they disappointed me so I was torn on the 2 lineman.

steelcityrockers
04-23-2010, 11:31 AM
I like this, I'm assuming RG this year so Trai Essex can go back to being useless?

A Pac
04-23-2010, 11:36 AM
i'm not trying to be mean, but did anyone else see the shot of his family when he was drafted? they looked like the biggest bunch of hillbillies on the planet. good pick though. it will be great to see shaun rogers and pouncey go up against each other.

scudmissile29
04-23-2010, 11:37 AM
Pouncey thrilled to land in Pittsburgh
By Tom Zebold
The Lakeland Ledger
http://www.gatorsports.com/article/20100422/ARTICLES/100429752/1136/gatorsfootball03?Title=Pouncey-thrilled-to-land-in-Pittsburgh

LAKELAND — Family celebrated with Maurkice Pouncey on his big NFL Draft night, and family was on his mind after he got the call he's been dreaming of since he was 6-years-old.

The former Florida Gators All-American center was selected 18th overall by the Pittsburgh Steelers on Thursday night.

And instead of talking about what new house or car he'd buy for himself, Pouncey said he'll do something even more special with his first big check.

“I'm so happy right now that I can finally take care of my family that's always been there for me,” he said. “I'll tell you one thing, the first thing I'm doing, my grandma, she's ... 80-years-old, she's not going to work another day in her life.”

Family was on hand for Pouncey's big night, and tons of friends, too. More than 100 people were either packed inside and outside Pouncey's parents' moderately sized home to congratulate him.

The celebration really began at 9:22 p.m. when Pouncey got the call from the Steelers, six minutes before an ESPN camera captured the official pick when friends and family flooded the small living room decorated with Gators memorabilia from Pouncey and twin brother Mike.

Pittsburgh head coach Mike Tomlin was on the line first with Maurkice Pouncey as tears streamed down the cheeks of his mother, Lisa Webster.

Other coaches followed Tomlin, and the message was clear for the new Steeler.

“They all said the same thing: ‘Get ready to come to work. See you tomorrow,' ” Pouncey said.

But before the call came in, the atmosphere went from relaxed and filled with laughs to a bit tense as the first round passed its midpoint.

“I was being nervous,” Pouncey said. “Words can't even explain that.”

Once the Steelers picked their man, it reaffirmed a feeling Pouncey had going into the draft.

“I met with them three times, so I already had a good feeling for them,” he said. “I kind of knew coming in that was my team, I just didn't want to say anything.”

The outcome turned out to be a granted wish as well.

“He told me all week that he wanted to go to Pittsburgh, so I'm glad it worked out for him,” Mike Pouncey said. “I know he'll do real good up there.”

For the parents, it also was a granted wish, from a geographical standpoint.

Before Pittsburgh, San Francisco was selecting 17th, which made Pouncey's mother a bit nervous.

“I seen the San Francisco 49ers, I was like, ‘Oh God, please don't send my baby all the way to California,' ” she said. “Then Michael said it was the Steelers, I was like, ‘Thank you Jesus.' ”

Webster was already planning what the family will be doing on future weekends.

“We have to go to Michael's games on Saturday and go to Maurkice's games on Sunday,” she said.

Mike Pouncey, now a senior offensive lineman at Florida, passed on the NFL Draft this season but is using his brother's success as a goal.

“It's a lot of motivation,” he said. “Of course I want to go higher than him next year. Just bust my behind on the field and just hope for the best.”

--- Added 4/23/2010 at 10:37 AM ---

Post Round 1 Conferece

Director of Football Operations Kevin Colbert: Well I don't think there was any big secret or surprise, because I think that every mock draft that I saw including Ed's (Bouchette) had us picking Maurkice Pouncey. We're extremely excited that he was available for the 18th pick and this is a kid that's going to be a solid player, played primarily center at the University of Florida the last two years, his first year as a freshman he started at guard. Coach will fill you in on the plans I'm sure that will be your next question, but it broke very well for us and we are very excited to have Maurkice as part of the Steelers.

Head Coach Mike Tomlin: He's a guy that we viewed as an interior capable offensive lineman with flexibility. Again like Kevin stated earlier he was able to start at right guard for those guys as a true freshman and spent the last two years at center. Of course something that we value is that he's a young guy just turned twenty-one years of age, with a great deal of experience playing high quality football in the SEC. The type of playing demeanor that we covered, he's a physical guy, he's football smart, we're excited about having him.

You went down to see him at Florida, what impressed you most about him? Was that the first time you saw him in person?

MT: No we interviewed him in Indianapolis at the combine. We just wanted to go down there and not only see him but of course they have some other players we wanted to watch them interact and compete if you will at their pro day. We had an opportunity to meet his father and his brother. Just to watch how those guys interact in their comfort zone on their campus. And we really came away with similar feelings that we had coming out of Indy that he's our kind of guy.

KC: In addition to that, Coach Kugler, our new offensive line coach, also put him on the board and spent some time with him and really his intelligence was very impressive, which is a premium for that position and he did a great job on the board, watching film with Coach Kugler and we just came away more impressed.

You made the pick quickly did you get any calls or trade offers?

KC: There were calls coming in but we were very happy that he was there and we weren't going to trade away from him.

Mike do you see him as a guard first or start him out as a center?

MT: That is the plan at this point, yes.

Right or Left, Mike?

MT: He played right guard as a freshman. Again we are open to whatever he's flexible and capable of doing. We'll start him out at right guard.

Will you work him in at center at all? Or just let that go at this point?

MT: We'll see how his work progresses at right guard before we add more to his plate.

Does Urbik stay at right guard/Does Tray move back to center?

MT: Well of course all those guys have position flexibility. We are not anointing him anything in terms of starting lineups and so forth; he'll be provided an opportunity to compete. Those other guys you mentioned of course have position flexibility. And our goal of course is to put the best five on the field and back them up with flexible men. Some of the guys you mentioned for us have shown that flexibility already.

Does it say anything about a guy that plays in a big conference?

MT: It made it a fun and easy evaluation, when you watch him play SEC football week in and week out against the likes of Cody and Williams from Tennessee. We respect that football and that conference as everybody does and it's a fun evaluation.

He seems to very alert in regards to the rush and blitzes, did you like that about him?

MT: Liked that element of his game, but not only what's up front but here's a guy who communicated at the line of scrimmage, and even in regards to safety rotations and so forth, this is a guy that's capable of drawing up all 22 and understanding rotations and stuff that effects protections. He's really a smart guy and mature beyond his years in that way.

Now his wonderlic is supposedly low, do you guys use that wonderlic score at all? And did you feel the need to test him mentally?

KC: Jim, we don't talk about the score, but again the intelligence and the ability to communicate at the center position is very valuable. And again Coach Kugler had him on the board, Coach Tomlin and I sat in the back and watched, and were very impressed at the way he could recall what he was taught and give it back to Coach Kugler almost flawlessly. And Florida will talk and did talk very highly of his intelligence and his ability to communicate. It was clear watching him work with his peers in the weight room and on the field that he was a secondary leader because they really have a great team down there, and of course Tim Tebow was I'm sure the leader along with Brandon Spikes but this kid stood out as somebody that was one of the guys for sure.

His high school team won three state championships and won National Championships. Do the wins factor into your decision?

KC: It doesn't hurt.

Was he surprised when you called him?

MT: He's somewhat of a cerebral guy when it comes to football. He was excited; I think the people in the background were more excited than he was. Those phone calls are really fun. It's a great conversation and of course he was excited, and really excited to be a Steeler.

When do you think you'll get him up here?

KC: We're going to try to get him up here tomorrow night and tomorrow afternoon, early evening. And he'll be available Saturday as well.

This team hasn't drafted a center in the first round since 1941. Why now?

KC: He was that good. It really has nothing to do with the position. He was just that good. It was pretty evident early on when we started to evaluate this kid. Again, as a junior, we got on with the process late with him. It was evident early on that this was someone who was going to be interesting to us, where we were going to be picking. And really there was no predetermined position, anything like that. It was just that he was that good.

Was it a simple decision to pick him when he was still available after the 17th pick?

KC: As picks formulate, we kind of do a little exercise and I always give Coach the worst case scenario if we stay at that pick. It worked out just like we wanted it to and it would.

Do you think you'll move up to a higher pick in the second round?

KC: This thing is so deep that I think that unless someone is just dangling there that we really want to go back up and get, we're just going to stay put. There are a lot of quality players to be had throughout this Friday and Saturday.

How do you think a transition for him from center to guard will be?

MT: I think the biggest thing is the communication because the center usually is going to be responsible for that. Again, Maurkice moved in there as a sophomore and they say did a great job. Again, what he did with Coach (Sean) Kugler was impressive and we don't have any problem with that. I believe that they plan on moving his twin brother in from guard to center next year. So I think that it's a transition that they were comfortable with. I think that when he gets here, coach is going to find a spot for him somewhere.

Why is it better for him to get time in at guard rather than sitting behind a veteran center?

MT: More than anything, of course, we've talked quite a bit about the importance of the center position and it being a hub of communication not only for the offensive line, but the offense from a protection standpoint. As a young guy coming in, it's probably easier mentally to play guard because it's more receiving information as opposed to giving it. Now of course we have a young man with some center exposure, so hopefully he's a guy at guard that will visualize the game like a center. But definitely form a starting out standpoint, the guard position is one that receives information as opposed to giving it. So pre-snap should lessen his work load.

Does he have the nasty disposition of a guard when he plays?

MT: He does. He has a play demeanor that we covered. He's a finisher. He's a physical football player. He likes to play the game, but not only as he's playing the game. When you do your research on this young man, he likes the things that come with being a professional football player and being a football player period. He likes to work out, he likes to compete in the weight room, he likes to work on his craft, and those are things, of course, that we're looking for.

Is the goal for him to eventually move to center?

MT: Well the reality is that we have a guy that's capable. He has legitimate position flexibility. Some of those questions will be asked as we continue on down the road.

MAURKICE POUNCEY Q&A WITH PITTSBURGH MEDIA

What's it feel like to be a Steeler?

It feels great man. I wanted this from day one. I'm so happy to be a Pittsburgh Steeler.

Did you know you they were going to take you? Did you have a feeling?

No, I had a gut feeling though. But I didn't know it but I had a gut feeling. I've wanted them from day one.

Why did you say you wanted them from day one?

I just like the Steelers so much. All the fans, and the city. That's the team I met with at the combine and I fell in love with it.

But they weren't you're favorite team growing up?

No they weren't my favorite team growing up, but now since I've been to the combine and I've watched all the great years they've had. And I about fell in love with the Pittsburgh Steelers. I can't wait to get there. It's unexplainable.

Are you familiar with the long history of the great centers they've had here?

Yes, sir. All of the last centers in 50 years, right?

Hall of Famer, Mike Webster.

Yeah, yeah.

Dermontti Dawson?

Yeah they are great players, I just want to live up to the tradition.

Have they explained your role at all, when you first come up here?

No, sir. I'm pretty sure we'll talk a lot about it when I get up there tomorrow.

Hey Maurkice did you ever play without your older brother next to you?

No, this will be the first time. It will be something new for us.

What do you expect out of that? I mean twins are supposed to be linked together.

I mean we're so grown now, we're twin brothers, we love each other to death, but we know this is a part and time of our lives that we're going to separate and it happened today. And I think we're grown men and we can handle it.

Can you change from center to guard?

Yeah, it's perfect I can play either or.

How did your parents afford to feed two 300-pound kids?

It took a lot of hard work. I'm so glad my parents took good care of us. I really appreciated it.

How did you get the name Maurkice, I know it's your middle name? How come you go by it?

I don't even know, we grew up as Michael and Maurkice and I guess my mom just wanted it to be like that.

You won three high school state championships, and a national championship. What is it with you and winning?

I never considered it, that's all I've learned to do. I don't take losing very good. I just love the game of football and I want to go out every time to beat the man in front of me.

Do the latest Steelers problems bother you now that you are coming here to play?

No sir, I have no comment on that.

Can you imagine what it is going to be like playing in front of Steelers Nation?

I can't wait, I know the fans get excited and so into the players there. I can't wait man, I can't wait.

Will you start as a rookie?

That's my plan.

Are you 21 yet?

No, not yet.

July, right?

Yes sir.

Who was that with the Steelers jersey in the background of your group?

That was one of my uncles.

Is he a Steelers fan?

Yes ma'am.

Is he pretty excited?

Yeah, everybody was. It was so loud in here.

Where are you now?

Everybody's here ESPN, Channel 10 news, were are all here having a good time.

Are you at your house, bar, or a restaurant?

We're at my house.

Any favorite football players growing up?

My favorite player growing up was Derrick Brooks. Ever since I've been playing high school and college ball I like Jeff Faine and Nick Mangold.

K Train
04-23-2010, 11:37 AM
Thought about that too but I want mack or woods last year and they disappointed me so I was torn on the 2 lineman.

good thing is:

pouncey>mack/woods/unger

K Train
04-23-2010, 11:38 AM
i'm not trying to be mean, but did anyone else see the shot of his family when he was drafted? they looked like the biggest bunch of hillbillies on the planet. good pick though. it will be great to see shaun rogers and pouncey go up against each other.

his mom is trash lol

Silverback
04-23-2010, 11:40 AM
Yeah that sooo true I was pissed when Cleveland took Mack last year, and the Seattle with Unger. But now the jokes on them.

scudmissile29
04-23-2010, 11:43 AM
Shaun Rodgers could be facing jail with that loaded gun in his bag... criminal.

Im starting to love pouncey, i've gotten over earl thomas, now rashard can live up to his expectations even more.

rushard that is

Silverback
04-23-2010, 11:45 AM
Shaun Rodgers could be facing jail with that loaded gun in his bag... criminal.

Im starting to love pouncey, i've gotten over earl thomas, now rashard can live up to his expectations even more.

rushard that is

Coming from the guy who swore Pouncey was a "jerk," and "bad person?" Haha I'm glad you came around.

scudmissile29
04-23-2010, 11:48 AM
Coming from the guy who swore Pouncey was a "jerk," and "bad person?" Haha I'm glad you came around.

i was butt****ing earl thomas too hard lol im just glad he isnt a eagle, bengal, cowboy... if pouncey wanted to become here then he more than welcome now, looking forward to see the opportunities he can pounce on

Silverback
04-23-2010, 11:52 AM
i was butt****ing earl thomas too hard lol im just glad he isnt a eagle, bengal, cowboy... if pouncey wanted to become here then he more than welcome now, looking forward to see the opportunities he can pounce on

Your all about the puns today, lol.

A Pac
04-23-2010, 12:02 PM
Yeah that sooo true I was pissed when Cleveland took Mack last year, and the Seattle with Unger. But now the jokes on them.
i don't know about that. mack did really well last year playing against some really good tackles (ngata and hampton). it takes centers a few years to be considered elite anyway. if you mean pouncey is better because he can play two positions, then yes i agree. however, we don't know how good either one can be yet.

--- Added 4/23/2010 at 11:02 AM ---

... criminal.

pot, meet kettle.

Silverback
04-23-2010, 12:08 PM
i don't know about that. mack did really well last year playing against some really good tackles (ngata and hampton). it takes centers a few years to be considered elite anyway. if you mean pouncey is better because he can play two positions, then yes i agree. however, we don't know how good either one can be yet.

pot, meet kettle.

Agreed, Mack was stellar last year, and I only have opinions of Pouncey until he plays a few years but its hard not to be excited about his potential at Center, plus the fact the he can start right away at RG is bonus.

JensK
04-23-2010, 12:12 PM
It was questionable passing on Bulaga, but it was a matter of need. Starks is serviceable, and can be pretty good at times. Hartwig is just useless all the time. Essex is, well Essex. He is not THAT horrible, but he is a carrier backup, and shouldnt start.

K Train
04-23-2010, 12:13 PM

pot, meet kettle.

clearly thats always the case and we all know that.

but prospect pouncey>mack prospect

i

TampaSteelGirl
04-23-2010, 01:10 PM
Very nice article....I'm anxious to see him play! Welcome to the Steeler family!! :tt02:

TampaSteelGirl
04-23-2010, 01:12 PM
Don't really know much of the college players but i'm excited to see what he can do for us!! :tt02:

steelcityman75
04-23-2010, 01:44 PM
Great pick! He will anchor our O-line for the next decade+. Just like Webster and Dawson did for us in the past! Good job FO! There were a lot of tempting players
we could have chosen. I am glad they realized for this draft we have to fill our needs and not just take the best player available. At least in the early rounds.:yellowthumb:

Blazedby92
04-23-2010, 02:04 PM
Pouncey is a dick, i dont like him, if we select him im off to support the lions i couldnt give a **** if there not good, i cant find myself to root for a guy i hate.

I seen this in the draft dicussion thread and was wondering if you have signed up at the LIONS forum. REALLY HATE TO SEE YOU GO BUT...GOOD BYE

DanRooney
04-23-2010, 02:35 PM
I seen this in the draft dicussion thread and was wondering if you have signed up at the LIONS forum. REALLY HATE TO SEE YOU GO BUT...GOOD BYE

Awesome! :lol:

steelerfan11
04-23-2010, 02:52 PM
Pouncey is a dick, i dont like him, if we select him im off to support the lions i couldnt give a **** if there not good, i cant find myself to root for a guy i hate.

BYE!!!:greengrin::banana:

Big T
04-23-2010, 03:34 PM
^^^ don't forget that Pouncey is a fag and a thug...haha I love Pouncey

Silverback
04-23-2010, 03:56 PM
Lol, remember hes also a "douchebag florida scumbag."

Black@Gold Forever32
04-23-2010, 04:05 PM
I'm just thrilled soon the Steelers will have an elite center again.........Mahan and Hartwig have been clowns.....Pouncey will strengthen our OL even if he starts at RG to start his career.....Depending on how fast Pouncey learns the play-book/offense I won't be surprised if he starts at center by mid-season 2010.....

BlitzburghRockCity
04-23-2010, 04:19 PM
Maybe we can get back to that team that keeps their center for 12-15 years and not have to worry about playing musical lineman anymore.

BlackGold4vr
04-23-2010, 04:31 PM
I'm just thrilled soon the Steelers will have an elite center again.........Mahan and Hartwig have been clowns.....Pouncey will strengthen our OL even if he starts at RG to start his career.....Depending on how fast Pouncey learns the play-book/offense I won't be surprised if he starts at center by mid-season 2010.....

Pouncey is a start be he isn't the final piece. IMO Kemo and Colon are the only other two lineman who are worth a ****. So if Pouncey moves to center next year we will still need another RG. And of course Maxipads has the feet of a tree sloth. I cannot understand what they like about this guy. I think he SUCKS ***! Either way, 3 out of 5 worthy lineman beats 2 out of 5 every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

Black@Gold Forever32
04-23-2010, 04:37 PM
Pouncey is a start be he isn't the final piece. IMO Kemo and Colon are the only other two lineman who are worth a ****. So if Pouncey moves to center next year we will still need another RG. And of course Maxipads has the feet of a tree sloth. I cannot understand what they like about this guy. I think he SUCKS ***! Either way, 3 out of 5 worthy lineman beats 2 out of 5 every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

I hate our OT's....I have been wanting this team to draft a LT for years.......So I agree with you about Starks but Tomlin and company seem to like him....lol I still say Colon would better suited for an OG and I have said that since he was drafted.......But he is ok at RT......I still would like to see the Steelers draft an OT and Jared Veldheer is a small school OT that I would like to see the Steelers pick in the 3rd round but I doubt the team spends two of its first three picks on the OL.....But you never know.....

As for needing a RG next year just draft Mike Pouncey....Maurkice's twin brother....:lol:

LatrobePA
04-23-2010, 04:46 PM
Agree we need to replace slow *** Starks! He's a POS!

scudmissile29
04-23-2010, 04:50 PM
Lol i do like the Lions and i hope they burn our secondary even if it's just a pre-season game.

i cant just let one player who im starting to like not make me support the steelers anymore, but....

watch the steelers secondary get roasted this year like a pig on a fire. just saying we may have got suddenly much better on the offensive line but... the secondary is still shambles

Black@Gold Forever32
04-23-2010, 04:52 PM
Lol i do like the Lions and i hope they burn our secondary even if it's just a pre-season game.

i cant just let one player who im starting to like not make me support the steelers anymore, but....

watch the steelers secondary get roasted this year like a pig on a fire. just saying we may have got suddenly much better on the offensive line but... the secondary is still shambles

The draft is still taking place......Still picks left to address the secondary.......

coach
04-23-2010, 04:56 PM
Not likley to happen but could you imagine if a tackle fell to us in second and we took him?

It doesn't make the most sense but neither does Davis/Iupati to SF in first.

scudmissile29
04-23-2010, 05:24 PM
The draft is still taking place......Still picks left to address the secondary.......

i know but i dont see us taking a secondary player anytime soon, IDK use the second round pick on bruce campbell or sergio kindle, third on torrell troup ect.

brandon harris miami, watch out for him in future drafts

Black@Gold Forever32
04-23-2010, 05:33 PM
i know but i dont see us taking a secondary player anytime soon, IDK use the second round pick on bruce campbell or sergio kindle, third on torrell troup ect.

brandon harris miami, watch out for him in future drafts

If Nate Allen is on the board when the Steelers pick in the 2nd round then in my opinion they would consider hard on taking him......I also think Chris Cook and Brandon Ghee would be on their draft board in the 2nd round....Akwasi Owusu-Ansah is a late 2nd early 3rd corner that should be on the Steelers board as well.....I also like Perrish Cox.....

Robert Johnson/FS from Utah is a sleeper of mine.....I think he could be there in the 4th round when we pick....He isn't the fastest safety but he is solid ball skills.....

scudmissile29
04-23-2010, 05:42 PM
id love cook.

he sure would cook sum good stuff up in our secondary.

unfortunatley i think the viqueens draft him, maybe they draft mcgee.

TEEMONT
04-23-2010, 06:41 PM
this is something to be excited about people

no no...something to be excited about was School Girl Thursdays at Hot shot Bar and Grill....which is where I watched the draft....

Steel Trap86
04-23-2010, 07:28 PM
this is the best pick the steelers could have made, he will not be some bust riding the bench all year, pouncey is immediately going to challenge essex for his job and hartwigs days are numbered. our whole o-line just got a LOT better and this means our offense will be too.

just wait and see