PDA

View Full Version : Here's what has to happen for our success this season...

Real Deal Steel
04-21-2010, 10:43 PM
Now that we know Ben is going to gone 4 games, let me give my train of thought:

Teams are going to stack the box against Mendenhall in the first 4 games, trying to take away the run. Therefore, our O-line is going to be under more pressure then before so WE MUST first and formost upgrade the offensive line! We have to get the running game going and we have to be able to protect Dixon in obvious passing situations!

Drafting Pouncey in my opinion is a must now. And unless we get a veteran off the street, we need to add another starter on the line too. I don't believe we have the luxury to use one of the first two draft picks on a cornerback. We can't afford to go 1-3 in this division because the Ravens and Bengals are legit challengers to us.

Getting the running game going is a must this year. We won't make the playoffs this year without it.

SteelJunkie
04-21-2010, 10:54 PM
See I can live if the pick, but I believe corner is more valuable atm. Lets face it our pass coverage is terrible. If we get a corner who might actually do something on third down then the offense doesn't need to go as far, or put up as many points.

Big T
04-21-2010, 11:01 PM
See I can live if the pick, but I believe corner is more valuable atm. Lets face it our pass coverage is terrible. If we get a corner who might actually do something on third down then the offense doesn't need to go as far, or put up as many points.

wouldnt you rather get a stud center in Pouncey at 18 then reach for someone like Kareem Jackson or Devin McCourtey? dont get me wrong, id take them both in the 2nd, but not at 18...Pouncey is the only interior lineman that has great value for us at 18...

DanRooney
04-21-2010, 11:34 PM
I agree. Pouncey is probably our pick no matter what.

Round 2 is really what I'm interested in. I hope they trade up.

cmerrifield
04-22-2010, 07:58 AM
They can stack the Box to stop Mendenhall, but Dixon has the whole offseason to prepare and that will be his advantage. If they bring an eighth man in the box, Wallace just needs to go long and Miller needs to release from the line instantly, Dixon is mobile and can buy some time, and our line can play well overall, its just inconsistant.

But I would be happy with the Pouncey pick, unless Haden is there, then its a tougher decision in my mind.

SteelDad
04-22-2010, 08:36 AM
Totally agree on what we can expect from defenses during the 4 game stretch, but it makes me wonder if another RB won't be a priority in the top 3 rounds.

coldrolled
04-22-2010, 09:03 AM
They can stack the Box to stop Mendenhall, but Dixon has the whole offseason to prepare and that will be his advantage. If they bring an eighth man in the box, Wallace just needs to go long and Miller needs to release from the line instantly, Dixon is mobile and can buy some time, and our line can play well overall, its just inconsistant.

But I would be happy with the Pouncey pick, unless Haden is there, then its a tougher decision in my mind.

Break out the Randall Cunningham films, this is going to be fun. Dixon 4-0

ben sucks down a Juicy-Juice.

the AFCN looks around and says WTF!:cope:

LatrobePA
04-22-2010, 09:17 AM

I like your thinking, but - BA will find a way to screw it up for the young Dixon!

cmerrifield
04-22-2010, 09:23 AM
I like your thinking, but - BA will find a way to screw it up for the young Dixon!

I dont know, MT is the kind of guy that lets his coordinators run the show. So BA runs the offense and LeBeau the D and so on. However, BA's job is on the line and probably MT's as well. I think MT will start paying more attention to BA and maybe start suggesting things.

TampaSteelGirl
04-22-2010, 09:32 AM
We just need to win some freaking games...that's what we need to do to have a successful year!

coldrolled
04-22-2010, 09:38 AM

dang, i forgot my favorite line and fire arians....

LatrobePA
04-22-2010, 09:41 AM
I hope so, and agree it's both of their asses!

TSG, true that. After 4 games Ben will be chomping at the bit to get out there and earn his keep, the season won't be a total wash.

How many years in a row have the Chargers started slow and then ended up making a run later in the season??

I still think this team will rally around Dixon and have a good showing...

I dont know, MT is the kind of guy that lets his coordinators run the show. So BA runs the offense and LeBeau the D and so on. However, BA's job is on the line and probably MT's as well. I think MT will start paying more attention to BA and maybe start suggesting things.

--- Added 4/22/2010 at 08:41 AM ---

You're slacking dude!

dang, i forgot my favorite line and fire arians....

steelspikes
04-23-2010, 06:24 PM
Agree with Real Deal Steeler about the run game, except that Dixon starting first 4 is not a given now that Leftwich has been inked. Despite his wind-up, (or because of it) Lefty can sling it big time. If Ben complies with counseling his should be back by wk. 5 which is after the bye. Even so, starting 1-3 will put us once again behind the 8 ball in the AFC North, and make it hard to be better than 9-7.

steelers4life66
04-23-2010, 06:50 PM

:yesnod: :bunny:

Real Deal Steel
04-24-2010, 12:26 PM
Dixon is the one we want. Remember everyone:

YOUR THINKING ABOUT DIXON OF LAST YEAR. THIS WILL BE DIXON'S SECOND YEAR AND THERE IS USUALLY A JUMP IN BETTER PERFORMANCE IN A QB'S SECOND YEAR.

Plus Dixon can take off and run too. That little added dimension will serve us well in these 4 games without Ben.

Trust me, Dixion getting snaps through camps and preseason, plus him being more comfortable with the WR, he's going to be fine. We just need to get the run game going to balance things out for him so the whole offense isn't on him.

We can easily be 2-2 at worse and 3-1 in a best case scenerio.

scudmissile29
04-24-2010, 12:29 PM
lets lose and get patrick peterson or rahim moore.

lets face it, with ben out for 6 games, were not going to the super bowl.

Real Deal Steel
04-24-2010, 05:18 PM
lets lose and get patrick peterson or rahim moore.

lets face it, with ben out for 6 games, were not going to the super bowl.

Let me help you understand:

Ben will only miss 4 games. Not six. Watch and see.

All we have to do is go 2-2 in those 4 games but I see us going 3-1. And with what we did today in rebuilding our special teams and fortifying our lines, we could very well make it to the super bowl.

nuclearchihuahuas
04-24-2010, 05:21 PM
We just need to win some freaking games...that's what we need to do to have a successful year!

We need our defense to pull out at least one of the 4 games! Last year, if we could have just one a single game in that horrible 5 loss stretch we would have been in the playoffs! We have got to be able to count on STEELER D!:crossfingers:

Real Deal Steel
04-24-2010, 05:26 PM
We need our defense to pull out at least one of the 4 games! Last year, if we could have just one a single game in that horrible 5 loss stretch we would have been in the playoffs! We have got to be able to count on STEELER D!:crossfingers:

But you forget...

Special teams lost two of those games. The way they fixed the special teams alone today, we are a better ball club. Plus we have depth at RB and our secondary and front seven got crazy strong today.

nuclearchihuahuas
04-24-2010, 05:29 PM
But you forget...

Special teams lost two of those games. The way they fixed the special teams alone today, we are a better ball club. Plus we have depth at RB and our secondary and front seven got crazy strong today.

You know what? You are absolutely right! I need the new season to start now...see I am already losing my mind in the offseason!:eek1: