PDA

View Full Version : Mr. Rooney, Mr. Goodell, take a step back!

BlitzburghRockCity
04-21-2010, 05:21 PM
To Mr. Rooney, to Mr. Goodell, to media who is participating in this frenzy, and to the fans who have called for Ben's head since that fateful night in Georgia, there is 1 thing that needs to be said...YOU ARE WRONG.

This entire situation is blown out of proportion to the point that it is now pure insanity. To sit here and play judge, jury, and executioner, on an individual who was convicted of nothing and base your decisions on pure hearsay is completely irresponsible. The commissioner of the league has set this disciplinary action purely for the fact of making an example of him. The facts are that this girl was underage, drunk, in a bar, and known to be there in the past, and knowingly changed her story several times from the first night this happened until the investigation was closed. That is pure fact ladies and gentlemen. So to all of you that sit there and condemn Ben based on what you read, you fail to realize it's all allegations and nothing was proven. No witnesses of any kind to back up their stories. Nobody saw this girl being dragged into a bathroom. Nobody heard anything, nobody noticed 3 people blocking the bathroom door. . You have room to make this girl out to be some saint and/or victim when you don't even know her name, you don't know what her lifestyle is, or anything else. In addition, Ben's account was never made public for all of us to see, and since most of us will never see those documents, you have no right to condemn the man to your own judgments based on what somebody else said. I would also call your attention to this article (http://www.steeleraddicts.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24530) posted by one of the members here on this site; it outlines well the way Ben has been portrayed by the media.

To any of you that actually believe that 2 off duty police officers and Ben's own teammate would knowingly drag a woman into a bathroom, let alone drag her into one and then block the door while she's in there with a man need to have yourselves checked into the next funny farm. None of this adds up to anything more than Ben using poor judgment and this girl shooting her mouth off because her drunk sorority sisters told her too. Then when they all realize the gravity of the situation they all change their story, and then 3 weeks later they all decide to drop the whole thing. If that all makes perfect sense then I feel sorry for you.

None of you have the right to judge Ben Roethlisberger because none of you were there, none of you know what went on. You only know what the media wants you to know. We as Steeler fans have been subjected to the worst offseason in team history. After a sub par year we can't even look forward to the draft without someone bringing up our Quarterback. It's past the point of getting old and by now it's down right ridiculous.

The Steeler Nation as a whole does not think Ben should be lynched, we do think he was treated unfairly in the media, we do think the NFL has blown this way out of proportion, we do think he's being made an example out of and we do think beyond a shadow of a doubt that while he is guilty of poor judgment and bad decision making, his is NOT a serial rapist or other would be sexual predator. When you listen to national talk radio that's all you hear; fans wanting him run out of town, fans wanting him traded, fans complaining their little kids are asking questions about Ben and they can't look up to him any more now. To all of you I say this; raise your kids to be independent thinkers and to base their decisions on the morals you instill them with. Idolizing and athlete, musician, or actor and thinking "it's ok to do it because they do" is a cop out! Don't blame athletes for being role models to your kids and then not living up to your expectations. It's your job to raise them, not somebody else. I have children and it's great follow NFL players and enjoy watching them play, getting their autograph, etc. but they also know the line and are smart enough to realize that just because they like someone doesn't mean they should be like them. These guys are paid to play football games and win; they shouldn't be subjected to the ridicule of parents who don't like how they act.

The Steelers and the NFL have ruled that Ben has to sit out 6 games and stay away from the team. The thing that Ben needs now is the comfort of UPMC and Heinz Field; a place to be with his teammates and get back to football. Alienating him to his own solitude is not the answer. Send him to all the counseling you want, send him for evaluations but keeping him away from his team is flat out wrong and will do no good in the long run. The man has been kicked when he's down, his repuation has long since been shot, and he has never been able to publically tell his side of the story. For that, I say that I will wear my #7 jersey proudly for everyone to see, because he's not only a Steeler player, he's a human being who made some mistakes and has paid over and above what anybody else would have too.

Let me be clear, I think we can all agree that Ben uses poor judgment, that he obviously hasn't been thinking ahead enough to realize the potential ramifications of going to bars, clubs, etc. He should realize by now that due to his high profile status, that you can trust nobody to take care of you but you. Any situation can potentially turn bad if you don't watch yourself. It's quite possible he has a problem with alcohol but I can't say that for sure either way so it's not fair to judge him on that. I have no problem with the NFL setting down some type of punishment for Ben getting into these types of situations. What I do have a problem with is the over excessive means by which they are exploiting whatever is left of the Steelers Quarterback. All that being said, nobody has the right to make this man out to be the monster that he is portrayed as right now. If I was Ben, I don't even think I'd want to come back and play for the Steelers because the way the public has portrayed him he might as well be placed in solitary confinement. Ben has to take responsibility for his actions, that much is clear, however the damage has long since been done if you ask this person behind the keyboard.

The draft is coming, we should be celebrating our next great players entering into the Steeler family but yet here we sit talking about an issue that should have been over before it ever began.

Matt P.- Top Gun
www.steeleraddicts.com (http://www.steeleraddicts.com)

***This article is the opinion of the writer and does not necessarily reflect the views of all members on SteelerAddicts.com***

SteelJunkie
04-21-2010, 05:28 PM
I agree with everything, nice write up.

Viper1963
04-21-2010, 06:00 PM
Well said, and I could not agree with you more. There was also a racial tangent behind this, but like you, I am moving on and looking foward to getting on with our season.

Take Care

scudmissile29
04-21-2010, 06:47 PM
I don't care, trade him i dont want people like him in our team.

half of our fans are bandwagoners and only want good people playing for the team and when be is bad they will call for his head and then go support the saints, i will stick to the teams life long traditions and i want ben out.

Black@Gold Forever32
04-21-2010, 06:55 PM

half of our fans are bandwagoners and only want good people playing for the team and when be is bad they will call for his head and then go support the saints, i will stick to the teams life long traditions and i want ben out.

The teams life long traditions....what is that I ask you.......Let me help you....

Ernie "Fat" Holmes......member of the famed Steel Curtain once shot at a police helicopter......

The entire Steelers starting OL was on coke before Super Bowl XIV against the Rams......

Bobby Layne was a fall down drunk and probably got his share of tail in his day.......

My point is in every decade the Steelers have had players that are not choir boys and perfect citizens.....So spare me this whole image thing......

Big T
04-21-2010, 07:02 PM
Thank you TG...Thats what ive been saying. trading Ben for this would be completely idiotic and would make me lose the respect I have left after the Santonio bullshit...Im getting so sick of all of this ****...It pisses me off.

scudmissile29
04-21-2010, 07:04 PM
Not changing my opinion.

Raping someone is much more different than having coke.

I congratulate those players, if they could not get happyness in any other way.

Black@Gold Forever32
04-21-2010, 07:05 PM
Not changing my opinion.

You mean being accused of rape........I'm glad you were there and know all the facts.....:lol:

nuclearchihuahuas
04-21-2010, 07:09 PM
Not changing my opinion.

NO charges--remember? I am not thrilled with his behavior either--this is way too punitive--I hope Ben sues Goodell personally and the NFL collectively for hiring him. He obviously has power issues --I agree with him that Ben needs a behavior analysis but so does Goodell--he needs an oversight committee to control his idiotic behavior as well. I have lost total respect for Goodell today and he will have a "long hard road" to win my respect back.

Big T
04-21-2010, 07:27 PM

"allegedly"

SteelerEyeZ
04-21-2010, 07:30 PM
I would love to have the headline " Goodell Sex Scrandal!!!" lol I am sure he is perfect

nuclearchihuahuas
04-21-2010, 07:43 PM
I would love to have the headline " Goodell Sex Scrandal!!!" lol I am sure he is perfect

Clearly he is not perfect--I believe he (Goodell) needs a behavioral analysis by medical professionals before he can be allowed to set foot in the NFL offices again--obviously he has lost him mind and has issues with power and control!

scudmissile29
04-21-2010, 07:45 PM
"allegedly"

yeah, having the cops bar you from the door is allegedly.

Gettysburgh_Steel
04-21-2010, 08:06 PM
Ben was found guilty . Guilty of actions detrimental to the league and the Steelers . Thats where the punishment is coming from . T.G. , you said yourself that he was guilty of poor judgement . The Steelers were also fined for his lack of judgement . I never called for his head , or lynched him , but if they were to get rid of his antics and him so be it . I like the team , and will continue to do so . Ben put himself into the situation , noone else did . Whether he did or did not do something wrong is no longer an issue . Maybe Ben has some power issues going on too . He was made an example out of and i applaud it . Damn , send that message to everyone else . We should be moving on now instead of rehashing this crap . Its over , and done , and it is time to move on .

BlitzburghRockCity
04-21-2010, 08:20 PM
Punish Ben for bad judgment, I have no problem with that. Get him some counseling, enroll him community service, fine him a huge amount, test him for whatever substance you want, etc. but the punishment does not fit the crime here, that's my point. Im fine with him being disciplined to some degree but all these games on top of everything else, just to make an example out of him?

Protect the shield as Goodell says? Gimme a break!! This league is full of criminals who had troubles a lot worse than this and they came back to play without so much as a hiccup. It is what it is though, all we can hope for now is that Ben stays under the radar, does whatever these people tell him, and gets his butt back on the field asap. I'm afraid though if Goodell gets the notion, regardless of how well he may do in his treatment, he'll just up the suspension to even more games.

MattyVfromCT
04-21-2010, 09:00 PM
yeah, having the cops bar you from the door is allegedly.

having cops ALLEGEDLY bar you from the door. you are missing the point. all of the details from the police report are from ONE SIDE OF THE STORY. it's all from this girl and her friends. and they DRASTICALLY CHANGED THEIR STORIES as noted in this article that chronologically follows the entire case. there are many inconsistencies in the different interviews with the same girls. http://ludwig.squarespace.com/politics-journal/2010/4/15/the-media-lynching-of-ben-roethlisberger.html

READ. there was not enough evidence for probable cause for christ sake. and you don't need much for probable cause.

--- Added 4/21/2010 at 07:00 PM ---

Punish Ben for bad judgment, I have no problem with that. Get him some counseling, enroll him community service, fine him a huge amount, test him for whatever substance you want, etc. but the punishment does not fit the crime here, that's my point. Im fine with him being disciplined to some degree but all these games on top of everything else, just to make an example out of him?

Protect the shield as Goodell says? Gimme a break!! This league is full of criminals who had troubles a lot worse than this and they came back to play without so much as a hiccup. It is what it is though, all we can hope for now is that Ben stays under the radar, does whatever these people tell him, and gets his butt back on the field asap. I'm afraid though if Goodell gets the notion, regardless of how well he may do in his treatment, he'll just up the suspension to even more games.

agreed top gun. ray lewis was ARRESTED, AND TRIED FOR MURDER. maybe he did, maybe he didn't, but he was found not guilty of murder and only guilty of obstruction of justice AND HE WASN'T SUSPENDED 1 ****ING GAME! granted it was a different commissioner then but still! 6 games for ALLEGEDLY doing something, even though there are many inconsistencies in the testimonies from these girls who by no means are goody goody church going choirgirls who are looking to be nuns for the rest of their lives. but the media only wants to report accusations from these girls, even ones that are a more extreme version of a series of events they already were interviewed about

SteelCityKid5
04-21-2010, 11:25 PM
What isn't alleged is that he took a hammered 20 year old into a bathroom. Seriously, nothing happened? Come on now.

Big T
04-22-2010, 12:07 AM
What isn't alleged is that he took a hammered 20 year old into a bathroom. Seriously, nothing happened? Come on now.

no one is saying nothing happened, but the truth is none of us know...he may have raped her, they may have had consensual sex, they may have fooled around, but no one knows for sure...

Dee Mca
04-22-2010, 01:34 AM
Not illegal for 2 consenting adults to have sexual relations. I say this whole mess wouldn't have happen if that bar didn't knowingly allow underage women to drink inside of it. But then again most bars will look the other way and let the pretty girls in regardless of their age.
I agree with you TG. Lets forward you post to Ben, the PPG, Steelers front office, Hell send it to Goddell himself

Gettysburgh_Steel
04-22-2010, 02:03 AM
The truth is that everyone and their mother has disected this topic until it was deceased . Not one may ever know the real truth about the matter . The matter is in the headline news everywhere you turn .
If the union does not fight this , why should we ? No one wants to see Ben go , but i think we all realize it could be a wake up call for , not only him , but "Tone",and anybody out there that wants to pollute the League with their little "headline tidbits" .
After all that has been going on since Ben has been involved with our team , i think it is rather fair .
I thought the whole ordeal was a drag . I love the STEELERS , not just Ben . Ben may become the player we always thought he would , if he does the things he should do . If he does not , like it or not , he may be headed for a whole new future .
One thing became clear to me . His future is in a precarious state in the Steeler organization . That is a natural born fact . It is not up to us , it is up to Ben where he wants to go .

Big T
04-22-2010, 03:41 AM
Not illegal for 2 consenting adults to have sexual relations. I say this whole mess wouldn't have happen if that bar didn't knowingly allow underage women to drink inside of it. But then again most bars will look the other way and let the pretty girls in regardless of their age.
I agree with you TG. Lets forward you post to Ben, the PPG, Steelers front office, Hell send it to Goddell himself

She had a fake ID....

Gettysburgh_Steel
04-22-2010, 04:04 AM
Ben is freakin in trouble man ! What part of that don't people realize ? Sheeze , give it a rest already .

LarryNJ
04-22-2010, 07:22 AM
The facts are that this girl was underage, drunk, in a bar, and known to be there in the past, and knowingly changed her story several times from the first night this happened until the investigation was closed. That is pure fact ladies and gentlemen. So to all of you that sit there and condemn Ben based on what you read, you fail to realize it's all allegations and nothing was proven. No witnesses of any kind to back up their stories. Nobody saw this girl being dragged into a bathroom. Nobody heard anything, nobody noticed 3 people blocking the bathroom door. . You have room to make this girl out to be some saint and/or victim when you don't even know her name, you don't know what her lifestyle is, or anything else. In addition, Ben's account was never made public for all of us to see, and since most of us will never see those documents, you have no right to condemn the man to your own judgments based on what somebody else said......To any of you that actually believe that 2 off duty police officers and Ben's own teammate would knowingly drag a woman into a bathroom,

The fact that she was underage is totally irrelevant and in my opinion it hurts your argument more than helps it. Nobody said she was dragged into the bathroom I'm not sure where you got that from. She claimed to be sitting on a chair in the hall than got up and walked into the bathroom and he followed her. Even though we don't know her name we do know what she has said. Nobody is claiming she is a saint. Have you wondered why Ben hasn't said anything? Why did he leave GA and not talk to the investigators? Why was the bathroom disinfected before the investigators got there? Why was the video ACCIDENTAL taped over? There are many unanswered questions from both sides. But many of those questions have been answered to the Rooneys and the commish. Although we as fans and the public may have no right to condemn him Mr. Rooney who is paying him very large amounts of money along with the NFL has every right to condemn him.

So as strongly as you stated "To Mr. Rooney, to Mr. Goodell, to media who is participating in this frenzy, and to the fans who have called for Ben's head since that fateful night in Georgia, there is 1 thing that needs to be said...YOU ARE WRONG." I feel that they are right and justified in the actions they took.

75Steeler
04-22-2010, 09:02 AM
The fact that she was underage is totally irrelevant and in my opinion it hurts your argument more than helps it. Nobody said she was dragged into the bathroom I'm not sure where you got that from. She claimed to be sitting on a chair in the hall than got up and walked into the bathroom and he followed her. Even though we don't know her name we do know what she has said. Nobody is claiming she is a saint. Have you wondered why Ben hasn't said anything? Why did he leave GA and not talk to the investigators? Why was the bathroom disinfected before the investigators got there? Why was the video ACCIDENTAL taped over? There are many unanswered questions from both sides. But many of those questions have been answered to the Rooneys and the commish. Although we as fans and the public may have no right to condemn him Mr. Rooney who is paying him very large amounts of money along with the NFL has every right to condemn him.

So as strongly as you stated "To Mr. Rooney, to Mr. Goodell, to media who is participating in this frenzy, and to the fans who have called for Ben's head since that fateful night in Georgia, there is 1 thing that needs to be said...YOU ARE WRONG." I feel that they are right and justified in the actions they took.

:plus1: What Ben needs to do right now is go get the counciling or treatment that the commish is recommending and follow those instructions to the letter. This shows that he is both concerned for himself and his career with the Steelers. He needs to do this quickly so that he can rejoin the team in preseason activities and see if the commish cuts the suspension to 4 games. Then as an act of good faith he needs to continue to get the counciling and do some charity work or something. Anything to keep him busy in a good light. If he does something like this Ben will sit out 4 games and be right back where he was.

BlitzburghRockCity
04-22-2010, 09:36 AM

It was clearly stated in the allegations that her 2 friends said they saw her being dragged into the bathroom; she on the other hand originally said she walked into, then she was escorted to it, then she was dragged in, and finally she was just sitting there. Ben never said his side of the story because the Steelers and his Attorney told him not too. The more they can limit him in the public eye the better after all that. IMO, I guess they felt it was better to just try and let it die out rather than keep stirring the pot. I don't believe it was the best course of action personally, but it is what it is.

The holes in her story, and her friends stories are too numerous to even count. Nobody is saying Ben is a saint here, not by any means, but to sit here and feel so bad for this "victim" is just as wrong as anything else. :redcool:

All we can do now is wait and see what happens and hope to God that Ben stays under the radar and gets his punishment reduced. Such is life I guess...

TampaSteelGirl
04-22-2010, 10:52 AM
I love this and I have Goodell's email address...you should send it!!

Sir Blitzelot
04-22-2010, 11:06 AM
Great article Top Gun, very well written. I really enjoyed reading it. :yellowthumb:

SteelerSteve
04-22-2010, 11:32 AM

half of our fans are bandwagoners and only want good people playing for the team and when be is bad they will call for his head and then go support the saints, i will stick to the teams life long traditions and i want ben out. Yeah man, I'm kinda pissed at ben too, but for real enough with the Steelers and their pristine image with life long traditions bull ****....they are pro athletes, aka loaded celebrities....So I say **** tradition, winning fixes all...you dont need to be a choir boy to play foot ball...often times its the opposite haha.