PDA

View Full Version : Who's your starter?

SteelCityKid5
04-21-2010, 01:39 PM
Since Roethlisberger is out the first 6 games of the year (possibly 4), who should be the starter game one? Just wanted to get everyone's opinions....

StlersGuy
04-21-2010, 01:40 PM
it will be Byron Leftwich

SnakeEyes43
04-21-2010, 01:48 PM
I wouldn't have minded Dixon, but since we picked up Byron again, it will probably be Leftwich.

BlitzburghRockCity
04-21-2010, 01:51 PM
Dixon and Leftwich will fight it out in camp this summer; but I'm guessing that Dixon will be penciled in as the starter and it would be his job to lose. Lefty will be the main backup and if Dixon falters he will step in quickly to help try and keep the season in striking distance if things go south early on.

ejsteeler
04-21-2010, 01:54 PM
Dixon, Lefty as #2

coldrolled
04-21-2010, 02:12 PM
it will be Byron Leftwich

that would be a waste of a positive direction for the team.

last time dixon had 1 day to prepare for a start. he now has 4 months and 4 preseason games. last time he lost in overtime against the ravens.

he will look much better.. side thought: what a great time to get a new OC.

K Train
04-21-2010, 02:13 PM
dixon ftw

Big T
04-21-2010, 02:14 PM
It will be Dixon...all the people who don't want Dixon to start all talk about experience..."he doesn't have enough experience" "Charlie and Byron have more experience"...how do you get experience? Playing...let the man play. The games will be a lot more exciting with Dixon starting than Byron or Charlie...

I believe Ben will only be out 4 games...if he does all his counceling and doesn't do anything stupid, it will be reduced to 4...

KSSteelerfan
04-21-2010, 02:16 PM
It's a toss up between Leftwich and Dixon IMHO!!:2cents:

coldrolled
04-21-2010, 02:43 PM
It's a toss up between Leftwich and Dixon IMHO!!:2cents:

Dude, tampa is our home team on tv down here. you dont want him to start..

i watched his action last year.. im surprised he was signed by tomlin...

i know tampa is bad, but he didnt bring any light to their game last year. he was slow and not real accurate..

twag
04-21-2010, 06:40 PM
hi all, i'm new here, but why not start dixon, trade ben and pick up coly mc coy. imo ben is a very talented but very lazy player. imagine what he could do if he put half the effort into his game as payto does. see ya ben!!

MattyVfromCT
04-21-2010, 07:07 PM
dixon

DanRooney
04-21-2010, 07:09 PM
hi all, i'm new here, but why not start dixon, trade ben and pick up coly mc coy. imo ben is a very talented but very lazy player. imagine what he could do if he put half the effort into his game as payto does. see ya ben!!

Well maybe because McCoy isn't even going in the first round and Ben, a former 1st round pick, is a proven, elite QB with 2 Super Bowl wins in this league. Could be why :thinking:

"Payto" also sexually assaulted a girl in college. Shoved his genitals in a girls face then called her the 'b' word. :popcorn:

cmerrifield
04-21-2010, 07:10 PM
No votes for Batch yet. Although with his previous record, even if he started he wouldnt last the too long in the game.

Blitzburgh55
04-21-2010, 08:46 PM
We should pick up a white Quarterback and start him

DanRooney
04-21-2010, 11:27 PM

lmao :clap:

BFISHIN80
04-22-2010, 01:32 AM

hahahaha.....Love it. Clausen.

--- Added 4/22/2010 at 12:32 AM ---

Since Roethlisberger is out the first 6 games of the year (possibly 4), who should be the starter game one? Just wanted to get everyone's opinions....

Clausen should start game 1.

scott0326
04-22-2010, 02:19 AM
Dixon.

Dobre Shunka
04-23-2010, 12:12 AM

Funny LOL

HUNT4SEVEN
04-23-2010, 12:21 AM
It will be and should be the Dennis Dixon show with Byron backing him up and charlie holding the clip board, I'm excited to see what Dixon can do, he has a hell of an arm and this is his 3 year so i hope DD is under center this September...

steelfury455
04-23-2010, 02:44 AM
Lefty shoulders Ben's rap and suspension and Ben starts... :clap:

steelcityman75
04-23-2010, 01:58 PM
Leftwich starts unless Dixon has a great camp & preseason. I watched some of Dixon's college games and he is a dynamic playmaker akin to K.Stewart (minus the dubious associations). He may not be super accurate, but he has good velocity on his throws and escapability from the pocket. I don't believe the steelers would use the entire playbook if he was our starter. They would probably run 60% - pass 40% of the time.

Danger DANJ
04-24-2010, 11:40 PM
I say Dixon should start. I doubt the Steelers have spent the last 3 seasons grooming him as Ben's backup to not use him when Ben isn't available. I'm pretty sure Lefty was brought in in case Dixon gets hurt since we all know Batch can't take a hit anymore.

Real Deal Steel
04-25-2010, 12:02 AM
Of course it's Dixon. He gives us the best chance to win.

DanRooney
04-25-2010, 03:18 AM
Randle El is not an option?

JensK
04-25-2010, 05:15 AM
Randle El is not an option?

Rofl... well he was brought in for a reason i guess

beaver688
04-25-2010, 11:05 AM
Leftwich

SteelJunkie
04-25-2010, 11:09 AM
Never was a lefty fan. I was hoping once Ben came back they would cut Leftwich, but with the new contract I'm sure it will be Batch.

TEEMONT
04-25-2010, 02:33 PM
gotta go w Leftwich...so does this mean Batch is gone when Ben gets back?

scudmissile29
04-25-2010, 02:37 PM
Dixon.

darnik44
04-25-2010, 09:47 PM
The Steelers have more of a vested interest in Dennis Dixon. He's young, and reports are that Tomlin is high on him. It seems in the Steelers best interest looking long term to get Dennis Dixon some game experience. Roethlisberger's injury history indicates the Steelers need to have a solid, experienced backup. Batch is really at the end of his career, and Leftwich isn't a guy we should expect to be a Steeler long term.

Iron City South
04-25-2010, 09:47 PM
Double D is our guy ...... Lefty was brought in to provide mentorship to him and serve as his backup.

... the end.

coldrolled
04-25-2010, 10:17 PM
Double D is our guy ...... Lefty was brought in to provide mentorship to him and serve as his backup.

... the end.

Amen
:cope:

JensK
04-26-2010, 05:56 AM
This move also have draft implications.. If Dixon goes out and performs very well, he could very well be used as trade-bait next year...

coldrolled
04-26-2010, 06:58 AM
This move also have draft implications.. If Dixon goes out and performs very well, he could very well be used as trade-bait next year...

i hope not.. we would end up with another 5th rounder the way trades and deals go around here... we are not a real wheeler dealer franchise. geez, right now it looks like we are trying to rebuild cowhers team back to how it was.. :yesnod:

JoeFlaccoSaysHi
04-26-2010, 02:12 PM
Greetings. I just voted for Dixon. Kid played great in his first ever start against the Ravens.

BlackGold4vr
04-26-2010, 02:22 PM
Greetings. I just voted for Dixon. Kid played great in his first ever start against the Ravens.

I agree. And if you didn't notice he was playing with about 1/4th of the playbook. The coaches definitely didn't allow Dixon to showcase his talents. If you can remember they were running in clear passing situations. Dixon is a lot better player than what he displayed against the Ravens. I was screaming at the TV in that game for my team to take the handcuffs off Dixon and let him try to win the game for us.

JoeFlaccoSaysHi
04-26-2010, 02:29 PM
I agree. And if you didn't notice he was playing with about 1/4th of the playbook. The coaches definitely didn't allow Dixon to showcase his talents. If you can remember they were running in clear passing situations. Dixon is a lot better player than what he displayed against the Ravens. I was screaming at the TV in that game for my team to take the handcuffs off Dixon and let him try to win the game for us.

I remember they wouldn't really let him use his legs that much either. Kid looks like he has talent. Hopefully he wins the job in camp.

LatrobePA
04-26-2010, 05:42 PM
DD all the way...Broken Batch Charlie won't survive...Lefty is crap, 3rd string at best!!

xxxsteelernation
05-03-2010, 11:04 AM

If Dixon somehow leads pittsburgh into the playoffs and even some how a super bowl victory. then what do we do with ben. I mean look at what they did with holmes. I'm surprised ben is even a steeler and if Dixon does well then i would not be surprised to see ben get traded. I know he has led us to two super bowls but there is only so much the NFL will allow never less the steelers

JensK
05-03-2010, 12:21 PM
If Dixon somehow leads pittsburgh into the playoffs and even some how a super bowl victory. then what do we do with ben. I mean look at what they did with holmes. I'm surprised ben is even a steeler and if Dixon does well then i would not be surprised to see ben get traded. I know he has led us to two super bowls but there is only so much the NFL will allow never less the steelers

Ben is our QB, even if Dixon wins 4 or 6 games, period. Ben would have to throw like 8 interceptions in a game for them to sit him.

JollyRob68
05-03-2010, 01:39 PM
They need to get Dixon ready and have a full playbook.
1.Dixon
2.Leftwhich
3. Batch emergency qb.
Batch should be a QB Asst Coach.
Deshae Townsend should become a DB assistant

nuclearchihuahuas
05-03-2010, 02:05 PM
No votes for Batch yet. Although with his previous record, even if he started he wouldnt last the too long in the game.

I like Charlie, but lately he breaks to easily. I would like to see Dixon get his shot but pulled quickly in favor of Lefty if he falters.

Aussie_Steel58
05-05-2010, 12:11 AM
What do you guys think of the possibility of Ben being benched if the following scenario from Ed Bouchette occurs? Could it happen? With sentiment in the Burgh in general not supportive of Ben, do you go with the hot hand? There would be a lot of public pressure to retain Leftwich or Dixon as the starter if one of them plays out of his skin!

Leftwich or Dixon starts the first four games and plays lights-out and the Steelers go 4-0 and are the talk of the NFL. The offense is humming and Leftwich or Dixon is winning games with his arm, his head and his legs.

What do the Steelers do for Game 5? Bench Leftwich or Dixon, which would bring a howling from the fan base? Play Leftwich or Dixon and let it be known you want to give Roethlisberger more time to shake off the rust? Consider a trade if it continues along those lines?

- Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

DanRooney
05-05-2010, 12:45 AM
What do you guys think of the possibility of Ben being benched if the following scenario from Ed Bouchette occurs? Could it happen? With sentiment in the Burgh in general not supportive of Ben, do you go with the hot hand? There would be a lot of public pressure to retain Leftwich or Dixon as the starter if one of them plays out of his skin!

Leftwich or Dixon starts the first four games and plays lights-out and the Steelers go 4-0 and are the talk of the NFL. The offense is humming and Leftwich or Dixon is winning games with his arm, his head and his legs.

What do the Steelers do for Game 5? Bench Leftwich or Dixon, which would bring a howling from the fan base? Play Leftwich or Dixon and let it be known you want to give Roethlisberger more time to shake off the rust? Consider a trade if it continues along those lines?

- Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Now I, without a doubt, have to say Steelers fans have some of the most idiotic fans in the NFL.

Are you seriously thinking there will be a QB controversy regarding Ben and Dennis ****ing Dixon? Do you guys have short-term memory? If he wins 4 games, that's great (I guarantee you he's not). Ben won his first 15 games. No QB has ever done that in the history of the league. You guys also are underestimating how difficult it is to win a Super Bowl and he's done that twice with only 1 season with his passer rating was below a 98. That's out of 6 years. You guys who keep taking this stuff for granted have not been a Steeler fan for very long and it's sad to see this spam everywhere.

The stereotypical athletic black QB does not work in this league. I'm sorry. Kordell Stewart failed, Tavaris Jackson, Mike Vick failed, Vince Young almost committed suicide for failing, Jason Campbell sucks, etc. Ben is a franchise QB. You have about a 1 in a million chance of finding a franchise QB in the 5th round of the NFL draft. Dixon is not the answer for the Steelers.

JensK
05-05-2010, 04:50 AM
I wouldnt say Vick failed as a football player, but other than that i agree. Those type of players are not your everygame QB. Im still a firm believer that Dixon gives us the best chance to win, especially with this o-line.

Aussie_Steel58
05-05-2010, 05:13 AM
Now I, without a doubt, have to say Steelers fans have some the most idiotic fans in the NFL.

Are you seriously thinking there will be a QB controversy regarding Ben and Dennis ****ing Dixon? Do you guys have short-term memory? If he wins 4 games, that's great (I guarantee you he's not). Ben won his first 15 games. No QB has ever done that in the history of the league. You guys also are underestimating how difficult it is to win a Super Bowl and he's done that twice with only 1 season with his passer rating was below a 98. That's out of 6 years. You guys who keep taking this stuff for granted have not been a Steeler fan for very long and it's sad to see this spam everywhere.

If you bothered to read the post properly I was merely posing the question in response to what Ed Bouchette of the Post-Gazette has written recently. That's spam is it? I guarantee he knows way more about what's going on with the Steelers than you do. Nobody is taking anything for granted, least of all Ben's ability and record as a winner, but the fact remains that he's got a long road ahead and he won't be playing in the first four games at least.

As for length of tenure as a Steelers fan, I've been on board since 1977, so try opening your mind - we are all entitled to speculate on matters such as this. And the fact is, you don't know any more than the rest of us what will ultimately happen regarding the QB situation once the season starts.

SteelDad
05-05-2010, 07:33 AM
You go with DD. You run the damn football, play Steelers D and take care of special teams. And for the love of God Arians, put in some designed run packages for DD and how about a screen pass????? 7:32am and I'm already fired up!

coldrolled
05-05-2010, 07:43 AM
You go with DD. You run the damn football, play Steelers D and take care of special teams. And for the love of God Arians, put in some designed run packages for DD and how about a screen pass????? 7:32am and I'm already fired up!

go back to the 80's. pick out randall cunningham's top ten run play/options and go with those. we win...

SteelDad
05-05-2010, 08:33 AM
go back to the 80's. pick out randall cunningham's top ten run play/options and go with those. we win...

Better yet, let's just have Arians use the Eagles' playbook from Tecmo Bowl!

coldrolled
05-05-2010, 08:53 AM
Better yet, let's just have Arians use the Eagles' playbook from Tecmo Bowl!

i think randall was a 4 time pro bowler in that video game?

just add ten of his RC's best plays to whatever arians has...

K Train
05-05-2010, 09:05 AM
i think were gonna be stuck with leftwich and dixons knock will continue to be lack of experience cause we refuse to give him any. i would put dixon in there, get him a full training camp, tell him hes the starter, run the ****ing ball, play defense, get dixon on the play action and he could be the sex with those wheels

steelcitysfinestXL
05-05-2010, 09:07 AM
The stereotypical athletic black QB does not work in this league. I'm sorry. Kordell Stewart failed, Tavaris Jackson, Mike Vick failed, Vince Young almost committed suicide for failing, Jason Campbell sucks, etc. Ben is a franchise QB. You have about a 1 in a million chance of finding a franchise QB in the 5th round of the NFL draft. Dixon is not the answer for the Steelers.

You are now officially the biggest ******* on this site... I love how you say that and leave out Cunningham, Moon, McNabb, McNair, Williams!! What a D-bag!

Aussie_Steel58
05-05-2010, 09:19 AM
Amen to that, bro. :yellowthumb:

I really think the ultimate choice will come down to who puts his best foot forward during the preseason games, just like back when Cowher picked O'Donnell over Brister on that basis years ago. Brister still got playing time too, but in the end they went with O'Donnell. And we all know where that landed us.

Hopefully one of these guys - Leftwich, Dixon or Batch - can step up and do a great job during Ben's absence. At the very least it will give us all a good idea of who should be #7's backup and who will be third-string once he's returned to action.

K Train
05-05-2010, 09:19 AM
Now I, without a doubt, have to say Steelers fans have some the most idiotic fans in the NFL.
yeah...agreed

i see what your saying but its kind of inaccurate. mcnabb is a great pro QB and also dominated in college, you are saying guys like pat white who are just good college players.

mike vick wasnt a failure, legal issues aside he was an amazing player and won alot of games, vince young just wins non stop, mcnair was a good QB.

we all know college is different than the pros which is why guys like leak who just won in college go undrafted. leak, white, marcus vick, juice williams (a few years ago), troy smith, and dennis dixon were all great college players, better than jamarcus russell, but russell was a much better pro QB prospect.

the difference between guys like mcnabb and vick is mcnabb actually learned how to pass, vick didnt care enough to

coldrolled
05-05-2010, 09:56 AM
You are now officially the biggest ******* on this site... I love how you say that and leave out Cunningham, Moon, McNabb, McNair, Williams!! What a D-bag!

dixon was only a 5th rounder because of the ACL.. they left that part out too.

ejsteeler
05-05-2010, 12:15 PM
Originally Posted by No l Gravity l
I just didn't know Steeler fans had their own fans!!?? :lol:

It was a hypothetical...chill out.

Dobre Shunka
05-05-2010, 12:43 PM
Moon, Williams, McNabb...?

Yea, Ben's our QB, thankfully! LOL

steelcitysfinestXL
05-05-2010, 01:19 PM
Moon, Williams, McNabb...?

Yea, Ben's our QB, thankfully! LOL

Yeah, thankfully he is... but the whole "Moon, Williams, McNab...?" thing, what are you saying??? I mentioned a Hall of famer, a future HOF'er and a Super Bowl MVP... are you saying Donovan McNadd and Warren Moon dont stack up to the QB likes of Ben Roethlisberger?!?!? Are you saying Doug Williams' 4 touch down Super Bowl MVP performance doesnt stack up to Big Bens super bowl heroics???

JollyRob68
05-05-2010, 01:50 PM
Its Dixon's time to shine and Leftwhich as #2. When all is said and done put Batch on the Coaching Staff.

DanRooney
05-05-2010, 03:08 PM

I think you guys are misinterpreting what I'm saying. McNabb is a pure passer. A great passer. I shouldn't of used Jason Campbell on my list because he tries to be but is awful. Cunningham and Moon sure. Doug Williams won a SB but was not remotely good. I'm not talking about all black QBs (if I was you'd see my favorite JarMarcus Russell leading the pack). I'm talking about those who were brought up in college to run to get the first down by using their athletic ability. I could even include Tebow in the list down the road even though he's not black.

K Train
05-05-2010, 04:17 PM
i heard rumors that tebow is in fact black

Dobre Shunka
05-05-2010, 04:54 PM
Yeah, thankfully he is... but the whole "Moon, Williams, McNab...?" thing, what are you saying??? I mentioned a Hall of famer, a future HOF'er and a Super Bowl MVP... are you saying Donovan McNadd and Warren Moon dont stack up to the QB likes of Ben Roethlisberger?!?!? Are you saying Doug Williams' 4 touch down Super Bowl MVP performance doesnt stack up to Big Bens super bowl heroics???

I'm saying I'll take Ben over any of the QBs listed. The end.

DanRooney
05-06-2010, 12:03 AM

^this.

Doug Williams isn't even in the same ballpark as Ben. McNabb is the biggest choke in the history of the NFL.

steelcitysfinestXL
05-06-2010, 11:06 AM
I think you guys are misinterpreting what I'm saying. McNabb is a pure passer. A great passer. I shouldn't of used Jason Campbell on my list because he tries to be but is awful. Cunningham and Moon sure. Doug Williams won a SB but was not remotely good. I'm not talking about all black QBs (if I was you'd see my favorite JarMarcus Russell leading the pack). I'm talking about those who were brought up in college to run to get the first down by using their athletic ability. I could even include Tebow in the list down the road even though he's not black.

Well, most black quarterbacks at the college level have the ability to run as well as pass. Also include with the likes of Tim Tebow, Eric Crouch, Alex Smith, Steve Young, John Elway etc. were also guys who used atheletic ability to get first downs in college too, but you didnt mention them the first time... there's where i had a problem with what you said.

McNabb and McNair are HOF qb's, whether you like them or not, and they both made a living running in college and transfered well into the NFL. YOU may not like Michael Vick, but he also ran all over everybody in College and did it again in the pros. He was never a great passer but he was efficient and had some pretty avg. WR's in ATL to say the least.

You should take look at the college record books... look up the top 10 career leaders in passing yards and passing TD's... see how well those guys translated into pro players. One one guy was worth a **** in the league and thats Phillip Rivers.

I bet you would... :yellowthumb:

Doug Williams isn't even in the same ballpark as Ben. McNabb is the biggest choke in the history of the NFL.

No question Doug Williams is NOT as good as Ben... the only reason he made this conversation is due to his Super Bowl year and game... after that injuries ruined his career. But i noticed you left Moon out :thinking:

Here a list of McNabbs NFL records... yeah he's terrible!! Also, Dont tell me he's the biggest choke artist of all time when you obviously lived through the Peyton Manning era... Dont let the XLI ring fool you:

Most consecutive pass completions, 24; vs New York Giants, Nov. 28, 2004; vs Green Bay Packers, Dec. 5, 2004
Least-intercepted quarterback per pass attempt of all time, (4588 attempts-96 interceptions, 2.09%)
Second-best touchdown-to-interception ratio of all time, (209-96, 2.18) behind Tom Brady (217-92, 2.36)
First NFL Quarterback ever to throw for more than 30 touchdowns and fewer than 10 interceptions (2004)
One of six quarterbacks of all time to have over 25,000 passing yards and 3,000 rushing yards (alongside Randall Cunningham, Steve Young, Fran Tarkenton, Steve McNair, and John Elway)
Currently the third-highest winning percentage among active quarterbacks (83-45-1, .647) behind Peyton Manning (119-59-0, .669) and Tom Brady (88-25-0, .779)

coldrolled
05-06-2010, 11:22 AM
i think he was comparing the running QB's to Dixon.. how did ben get into this mix.

ben tops all of them no matter.

but dixon can be a cunningham with the right plays and coaches...

Steel Trap86
05-06-2010, 12:12 PM
dixon

jnes1216
05-06-2010, 04:10 PM
I think this will obviously play out through the preseason, but I have to pull for Dixon. Atlanta, Clev. and Tampa are not that strong on defense and what better way to get the running game off to a good start than to have Dixon come in and get some game experience while not asking him to win games with the pass. Tenn lost some good players in vanden bosch and bullock, plus the rematch with baltimore. Plus he has the mobility if the o-line needs time to gel.

Dobre Shunka
05-06-2010, 05:58 PM
I bet you would... :yellowthumb:

har har

Stats huh? :yellowthumb:

Moon, well his #s were there, that's what put him in the hall, but he also had the big #s in terms of fumbling that ball. In fact, and I grew up with him also, I don't think you could watch a game without seeing Warren lose the ball. What were his fumble #s like, an astounding 150 or something along those lines? He also recovered the ball more than any QB in history but thats cuz he was letting it out of there in the 1st place. Also, the run n shoot, that system allowed for inflated #s in the pass thus hiding glaring holes in the O, resulting in a what, 3-7 post sea record? Yitze. Still, the # were there to get him in, no argument there, but that system, previously stated, gives you those kind of #s.

McNair, nothing to say other than R.I.P Steve.

Cunningham, sheesh. They put Moon in the hall on #s so you prolly have to see him there too. He could sweep and roll w/ the best of them. What were his rushing #s like, in the 3 grand right? Like having another RB touching the ball right off C.

McNabb, yea w/ the exception of Moon he is more the passer of the group as well he should be since he's had over a decade to hone that skill. Still, when those legs were young he was more the threat although his accuracy was suspect.

Look, you can talk stats all day long, and I can too, but the bottomline is winning games > making playoffs > winning playoffs > Getting to the dance > Winning the SB and becoming world champs.

The only real stat that I want to see is the W.

To bring this thread back to subject, I know it's gonna make everyone mad, but I think we're going to see Lefty in there alot. NFL is conservative, and it's like pulling teeth to let the rook run the show on the green.