PDA

View Full Version : Life on the Other Side of the Block

SteelDad
04-21-2010, 02:15 PM
There is no question that one of the toughest things for Steelers’ fans to do this season is to be able to draw a line in the sand when it comes to defending our team and at the same time trying to not defend our quarterback and his complete lack of common sense. Over the last several weeks, we have been put through the ringer as we take one assault after another from fans of our rivals giving us the business the way we have given it to them. Karma perhaps? What comes around goes around? I’m not really sure but either way we are all facing something many of us have not dealt with before. Our top player has given our team, organization, city and fans a black eye that a side of beef couldn’t cover and it seems to me that we the fans are the ones taking the biggest hits.

Sports Talk Radio here in The Mitten, or Michigan as it is commonly known, is pretty much divided into 3 seasons; College football season, Red Wings playoff season, and Lions Draft season. Understand my fellow Steelers’ fans that it is so bad here that as soon as the Lions lose one game they start talking about draft possibilities. I am NOT exaggerating this point either people, really it’s the honest truth. So I found it unfortunately pleasant yesterday when the local radio guys were talking about Ben and the Steelers while I was driving home from work. While their sentiments were not far from the cries being heard on similar formats in Pittsburgh, I was struck with how easy callers and the hosts were in their willingness to question our organization and how we do things. At one point a guy calls in and says, “I have always hated Big Ben and I just love seeing the Steelers and their fans taking one to the thorax.” Emails and a few other calls came in wanting Ben banned for life, a season-long suspension and comments that eventually found their way to how the Steelers always get the calls and never even should have won the last two super bowls. This as you all know, is the 21st century world of 24 hour sports talk radio that allows even the dumbest that walk among us the opportunity to spew forth their ‘vast knowledge of sports.’ The level of harassment we are taking right now I suppose only fans of the Cowboys, Raiders and Bengals could relate. How many of you out there have suddenly become the new target of inter-office hazing as a result of this? Perhaps this is going on more outside of the ‘burgh than in because away from Pennsylvania of course there are many more fans of other teams but nevertheless. Do you receive emails almost daily with pictures of ‘Drunk Ben?’ Are you constantly being a bugged about how long you think his suspension will be? My personal favorite is “How can you root for a team with this guy at quarterback?’ That’s actually a fair question and is really at the heart of what I’m saying. I suppose we could ask the same question of our rivals in Baltimore. “How can you cheer for a guy that was involved in a murder?” Allegedly…. Should we poll Lakers’ fans and have them ponder similar questions about Kobe? I have to admit myself I don’t really have the same respect for the Red Wings who have a player who brutally assaulted a guy on the ice with his stick for crying out loud.

Have you had the discussion with your kids yet? If you have kids of course, about what Ben did wrong? Try telling your ten year old daughter that ‘hell yes we still root for the Steelers, but you just won’t be doing it in your #7 jersey for the foreseeable future.’ My 5 year old son has already asked “What’s a suspension Dad?” sounding as if he is hurting himself trying to pronounce the word. Everyone of us knows in our minds that there is nothing any player could ever do to make us stop being Steelers’ fans, but that doesn’t make it any easier to put up with all these haters who are feeding like a pack of crazed dogs. (Yes I stole that from L.T.) After last year’s mediocrity and this offseason from hell, we all know there is but one cure and that would be winning. Hang in there Steelers’ fans, our long national nightmare is nearly over. Right after the first win of course.

Marc Uhlmann
www.steeleraddicts.com

BlitzburghRockCity
04-21-2010, 04:07 PM
Welcome to SA Marc and welcome to the writers team! We're looking forward to more of your work.

Sir Blitzelot
04-22-2010, 11:32 AM
Nice article Marc, It was a very good read! :clap:

SteelDad
04-22-2010, 12:12 PM
Thanks M.C.! Much appreciated. I'm going to try and do one per week as long as my job doesn't get in the way!

scudmissile29
04-22-2010, 02:02 PM
Nice, but how can you write so much lol

SteelDad
04-22-2010, 02:38 PM
My teaching colleagues tell me I have a unique ability to BS with the best of them. Fortunately this trait helps write about my true passion.:cope:

scudmissile29
04-22-2010, 03:15 PM
Lol that must be at least 3 pages in microsoft word with 12 font arial

SteelDad
04-22-2010, 05:17 PM
And I cranked it out in under 15 minutes!! Thus my gift for elegant and timely BS!

MattyVfromCT
04-24-2010, 07:54 PM
and comments that eventually found their way to how the Steelers always get the calls and never even should have won the last two super bowls.

i "love" it when i get that **** from steeler haters. waaaah you get ALL the calls. please. i've already debunked that in one vid...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uuk01PIcUMQ

i've debunked the belief that santonio didn't get both feet down in super bowl 43...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdo9nJWy95M

i'm working on a vid that debunks the bullshit "refs theory" for super bowl 40. and i got enough footage to put together an hbo miniseries of times the steelers were on the **** end of bad calls/non calls.

these steeler haters and their excuses, boy i'll tell ya. what a bunch of whiney faggots that know jack **** about football. morons. god i HATE those people

SteelDad
04-24-2010, 11:07 PM
Impressive work man! You should be on one of those crime shows! Unfortunately, we have become hated because of our success and our rabid fan base is the envy of all other 31 teams.

MattyVfromCT
04-25-2010, 03:03 AM
Impressive work man! You should be on one of those crime shows! Unfortunately, we have become hated because of our success and our rabid fan base is the envy of all other 31 teams.

lol thanks. anyway i have been lazy lately. i've spent a lot of time making vids so i'm taking some time off. but i will have the super bowl 40 vid up soon. fact is, seattle did more to lose that game than any call by the officials. looking back at that game, their gameplan is easily one of the absolute worst i've ever seen. their situational playcalling and time management made bruce arians look like bill walsh