PDA

View Full Version : Roethlisberger donates from his foundation, New Police Dog for Findlay.

House of Steel
12-02-2006, 11:24 AM
Big Ben To Buy Police Dog For Ohio Hometown
Dog Will Replace One That Was Shot, Killed When It Wandered Away

POSTED: 12:41 pm EST December 1, 2006
UPDATED: 12:52 pm EST December 1, 2006

FINDLAY, Ohio -- Pittsburgh quarterback Ben Roethlisberger will help his hometown replace a police dog that was shot and killed when it wandered away from its handler's home.

Roethlisberger said he plans to donate money through his foundation to buy a new dog, said Findlay Police Chief Bill Spraw.

"My dad instilled in me a love and respect for animals," Roethlisberger said in a statement released Thursday. "This is a good way to combine that passion with a desire to support the police and fire departments."

The Steelers quarterback said he expects the grant to be the first of many to police and fire departments throughout the country.

The city paid about $15,000 for the dog along with its training and equipment in 2003.

Flip, a 5-year-old Belgian Malinois, was shot two weeks ago by a neighbor who said he felt threatened when the dog came on his property.

About 1,000 people, including police officers and students, gathered Thursday at memorial service for Flip. The dog made regular visits to schools that would hold fundraisers to buy equipment for Flip.

"Flip was an officer. He was our friend," Spraw said. "Our department suffered a great loss."

Very nice gesture on Ben's part. That is cool :bigthumb:

BlitzburghRockCity
12-02-2006, 11:27 AM
That person outta be shot for shooting that police dog !!! WTF were they thinking, just because dog comes onto your property doesnt mean you shoot the poor thing. I swear people are stupid sometimes !!!

That's a great thing for Ben to do in helping out his hometown, way to go man !!! :tt02:

House of Steel
12-02-2006, 12:12 PM
I hear you, Matt. I believe that man should be fined and have to pay for a new police dog. That was a very nice gesture on Ben's part. See, he didn't forget the little people. I really, really would like to meet Ben and tell him what a great person he is and a fine football player. Why can't others be like Ben?

SteelCityMan786
12-02-2006, 12:16 PM
Nice Job Ben. Good way to help your hometown.

Prosdo
12-02-2006, 01:40 PM
Way to go Ben. I can't believe that dude who killed the dog.

Steelersfan
12-02-2006, 02:00 PM
Nice of Ben to donate the money.

We have dogs roaming around here all the time. Everyone's dog gets loose at some point. Some people are just scared of them and do stupid crap like this guy.

AZ_Steeler
12-02-2006, 02:07 PM
Some people are just stupid!

Glad ot see Ben giving back a little something to his hometown.

Hburg
12-02-2006, 05:25 PM
That person outta be shot for shooting that police dog !!! WTF were they thinking, just because dog comes onto your property doesnt mean you shoot the poor thing. I swear people are stupid sometimes !!!

That's a great thing for Ben to do in helping out his hometown, way to go man !!! :tt02:

Um, the dog is a police officer......the man shot and killed a police officer.....what dumbass in general just shoots any random animal that walks into his yard? That's why you go inside and lock the doors ya dumbass!

BuFu

House of Steel
12-02-2006, 07:07 PM
Now, BuFu just made a great point, you shoot a police officer, you get automatic jail time, now why the hell didn't this guy pay fines or serve jailtime for killing a K-9 Cop? I swear Police Dog should be included in the laws of protection. That hurts me to see someone being such an ******* to shoot a dog on the property.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-02-2006, 08:24 PM
Um, the dog is a police officer......the man shot and killed a police officer.....what dumbass in general just shoots any random animal that walks into his yard? That's why you go inside and lock the doors ya dumbass!

BuFu

Very well said, they are officers !! I wonder what if anything will happen to the assjack that shot him !

PITT23
12-02-2006, 08:42 PM
Well done Ben. Here's the funny thing from Deadspin (http://deadspin.com/sports/nfl/the-big-ben-police-dog-218583.php).

SteelerDan43
12-02-2006, 09:46 PM
However mean, well within his right to shoot it. Im not shootin dogs but rabbits/groundhogs/deer that eat up the garden are a definate

Hburg
12-02-2006, 10:30 PM
Now, BuFu just made a great point, you shoot a police officer, you get automatic jail time, now why the hell didn't this guy pay fines or serve jailtime for killing a K-9 Cop? I swear Police Dog should be included in the laws of protection. That hurts me to see someone being such an ******* to shoot a dog on the property.

Very well said, they are officers !! I wonder what if anything will happen to the assjack that shot him !

Ok first off, what idiot thinks he can just shoot his gun off at any animal that comes near his house? Also, it's not like a wild animal came near his house, it was a dog. It wasn't just a stray looking dog, last I checked police dogs are kept pretty well groomed and wear a collar that identifies them as a police dog. They are trained not to be aggressive or violent unless instructed to or are severely threatened....so this guy must have either instigated something pretty hard or is just more of a dumbass. Also, yes this dog is a police officer. Regardless of whether the man knew that or not that is still the case. Men go to jail after shooting a plain clothes or of duty police officer.....

At this point I see multiple charges of animal cruelty, one for harming an animal and another for killing an animal. At least one weapons charge, one for how/where he fired the weapon and also assault with a deadly weapon. All that in addition to the fact that he dog is a police officer. So he assaulted a police officer with a deadly weapon, killed a police officer.......

If anything he should be b*tch-slapped for being such a dumbass....

BuFu