PDA

View Full Version : Charlie Batch

Gettysburgh_Steel
04-20-2010, 06:03 PM
Some do not realize the role that he plays in our system . He is just as important in the community , as he is on the side line . Not to mention as a starter for us he is 3-0 . He rarely has had a chance to start , but when he has , he made good with it . Terry Hanratty was the only other Pittsburgh boy to have that chance to do what he has done . To me Batch is way underappreciated , and needs some attention drawn toward him . He is a class act , and has been dependable for the Steelers . When he starts a game , he has made us proud . Granted he only started 3 . We did win all 3 though .
I think when his carreer is over as a player , we can still find some use for him , for a behind the scenes kind of guy . You go Charlie . Win that starting job !

Big T
04-20-2010, 06:21 PM
Some do not realize the role that he plays in our system . He is just as important in the community , as he is on the side line . Not to mention as a starter for us he is 3-0 . He rarely has had a chance to start , but when he has , he made good with it . Terry Hanratty was the only other Pittsburgh boy to have that chance to do what he has done . To me Batch is way underappreciated , and needs some attention drawn toward him . He is a class act , and has been dependable for the Steelers . When he starts a game , he has made us proud . Granted he only started 3 . We did win all 3 though .
I think when his carreer is over as a player , we can still find some use for him , for a behind the scenes kind of guy . You go Charlie . Win that starting job !

though I agree, for the most part, he wont win the starting job. he will be 3rd string even while Ben is suspended...and 4th (possibly cut) when Ben gets back...remember the NFL is a business. Sometimes it sucks but thats just the way it is...

make him an assistant QB coach or something...

Gettysburgh_Steel
04-20-2010, 06:32 PM
Kind of what i was looking for , and he does have the experince to win the starting job . Is Dixon ready yet ? He would not be the only old man to revive a team . I would trust his experience over Dixon at this point if you compare their carreers . I just don't think it is out of the realm of possibilities to see Batch starting the season for the Steelers . If they are going to commit to the run as they so say , then it makes even more sense to start Batch , and save some packages for Dixon , as he wiggles his way into his role .
Batch , or Dixon , has got to be the way you approach the season . (for unsaid reasons ) .

75Steeler
04-20-2010, 06:39 PM
Charlie has done a ton for the community. My Mother lives behind Steel Valley High School in Munhall PA where Charlie grew up. She also serves on a Steel Valley business council with Charlie's Mother. Mom brags all the time on what a class act he is and how much good he does for the community and kids. I know people who went to school with Charlie and they have told me what an all around good guy he is. As for his playing abilities, I think he would do fine except his age is starting to catch up with him and he has had a few big injuries. I really want him to stay on with the team after his playing days are over.

BlitzburghRockCity
04-20-2010, 06:42 PM
Charlie will be another Tomczak, he'll be around as the backup for probably as long as the team will have him. He's a good community presence, a good mentor for the young QB's, a good partner for Ben to have in his corner on the sidelines.

Gettysburgh_Steel
04-20-2010, 06:54 PM
I think he may get the chance he has always dreamed of too . If he is not the starter for our season , then i will be surprised . That would only mean that Dixon is good to go . But i would not be worried if Charlie had a chance to kneel behind the center for one last shot at his dream of playing for the Steelers . He does set a fine example of how to be in the league for so many seasons , and how to conduct yourself as an upstanding citizen , and player off the field also . I love the Batch ! He should have a job no matter if he is cut or not . Won't do any damage to our team or spirit .

Big T
04-20-2010, 06:56 PM

he started the last game of the season against baltimore in 2007 and we lost that game 27-21...Im just curious as to where you heard or saw 3-0

Gettysburgh_Steel
04-20-2010, 07:01 PM
he started the last game of the season against baltimore in 2007 and we lost that game 27-21...Im just curious as to where you heard or saw 3-0

Got it from my head , my memory . Ok 3-1 as a starter then . Still not bad . I never remembered him losing a game as a starter . Sure he started ? Don't be cuttin on Charlie man ! (LOL)

DanRooney
04-20-2010, 07:11 PM

3-0? He lost against the Ravens in 2007 against Troy Smith.

Big T
04-20-2010, 07:13 PM
Got it from my head , my memory . Ok 3-1 as a starter then . Still not bad . I never remembered him losing a game as a starter . Sure he started ? Don't be cuttin on Charlie man ! (LOL)

i remember...Ben was banged up, they wanted to make sure he was fine for the playoffs.

Gettysburgh_Steel
04-20-2010, 07:15 PM

Just the way things are shaping up i would not feel too uncomfortable with knowing Batch is there . He does not have as much wear an tear as you might susspect . He may be rusty as a starter , but if they game plan for him , i don't think he would be a big disappointment to our team . He makes quick reads , and does not hold on to the ball too long . That must be something he learned in Detroit . Thought Colbert brought him with him when he came to Pittsburgh . Good move in my book .

HUNT4SEVEN
04-20-2010, 07:54 PM
Just the way things are shaping up i would not feel too uncomfortable with knowing Batch is there . He does not have as much wear an tear as you might susspect . He may be rusty as a starter , but if they game plan for him , i don't think he would be a big disappointment to our team . He makes quick reads , and does not hold on to the ball too long . That must be something he learned in Detroit . Thought Colbert brought him with him when he came to Pittsburgh . Good move in my book .

It was a great move:tt02: IMO, i always liked Charlie Batch he 's humble and a leader and a mentor, and most of all he knows how to act and carry himself off the field...sad thing is he will be cut when Ben returns, i would love to see the Steelers make him the qb coach one day:tt02: Even the Rooneys spoke highly of Batch, thank u Batch for being a excellent human being:clap::clap:

Gettysburgh_Steel
04-20-2010, 08:23 PM
You saying he is a company man ? Well i do, must , have to agree with you .

--- Added 4/20/2010 at 07:23 PM ---

Bout time we had a Charlie Batch thread . Hold on a minute Charlie , i want to pop a beer for ya . bushhhhhhhhhhhhhh , thank you Charlie . Hope you start the 2010 season .As long as you are on the sideline i feel ok. He worked for everything he has aquired to this point , and i think it is up to Dixon , and now Leftwich i guess to take his spot . Sounds healthy all the way around . Good luck fellas . May the best man win that opening day job .

Zachintosh66
04-20-2010, 10:05 PM
Charlie "china doll" batch... nuff said

Do we get an extra roster spot while Ben is gone?

cmerrifield
04-20-2010, 10:06 PM
Charlie "china doll" batch... nuff said

Do we get an extra roster spot while Ben is gone?

according to Steelersdepot.com yes, he goes on a suspended list that does not take a roster spot

Zachintosh66
04-21-2010, 09:30 AM
good looking out cmerr