PDA

View Full Version : Steelers trade 7th round pick for Leftwich

cmerrifield
04-20-2010, 05:38 PM
Steelersdepot.com is reporting that the Steelers traded a 7th round for Leftwich. That could mean the suspension is bigger than we thought, or maybe not, but with Batch Dixon and Ben and Leftwich, somebody is not making the team.

Big T
Via Adam Schefter on Twitter....

Big T
double post....

SteelCityKid5
04-20-2010, 05:40 PM
Steelers swap a 7th round pick for QB Byron Leftwich

ESPN Adam Schefter reports

steelersbabex25
04-20-2010, 05:42 PM
Could be. But honestly..is the name of this offseason bring back all your old players?

P.S. Could we delete some of these Leftwich threads? There's like 5 of them.

cmerrifield
04-20-2010, 05:54 PM
Steelers depot is also reporting that his salary will be roughly 2 million. That is a lot for us to pay for just a little competition at QB. Something is happening, either longer suspension or something else, like an injury to Dixon or Batch, but something else is up.

Big T
04-20-2010, 05:55 PM
ya, Top Gun you should delete my two threads...it double posted for some reason

edit: merged haha

PsychoWard
04-20-2010, 05:56 PM
ya, Top Gun you should delete my two threads...it double posted for sime reason

i merged them all:yellowthumb:

BlitzburghRockCity
04-20-2010, 05:57 PM
Just got the text from KDKA as well. This is an insurance move people, they already know what Ben's punishment is so they are preparing for some games without him. Considering your main starter would be Dixon and often lately injured Batch as your only backup you need someone else who can step in if Dixon fails or gets injured.

When Ben returns from the apparent suspension, either Lefty or Batch will be released.

Don't anybody turn this into another Ben thread or so help me :fcs:

Big T
04-20-2010, 05:58 PM
If there is an odd man out its Batch...they arent going to get rid of Dennis Dixon, they wont cut Leftwich who they just traded for and Ben wont be traded...they may just want 3 QBs on the roster during Ben's suspension...

scudmissile29
04-20-2010, 06:01 PM
Dixon's our guy.

Leftwhich is a nice backup, mentor, he was used badly in tampa an had a **** supporting cast

cmerrifield
04-20-2010, 06:06 PM
Just got the text from KDKA as well. This is an insurance move people, they already know what Ben's punishment is so they are preparing for some games without him. Considering your main starter would be Dixon and often lately injured Batch as your only backup you need someone else who can step in if Dixon fails or gets injured.

When Ben returns from the apparent suspension, either Lefty or Batch will be released.

Don't anybody turn this into another Ben thread or so help me :fcs:

Not trying to turn this into a Ben thread, but I do think this means more than a 1 game suspension for Ben, that was rumored earlier today.

Bones
04-20-2010, 06:06 PM
I think Batch will wind up being the odd man out also...no way it's Dixon. It will (should) come down to Batch or Leftwich making the team.

Sir Blitzelot
04-20-2010, 06:23 PM
It's nice to have Lefwich back, I'll always remember all that he did for this team in 2008.

Big T
04-20-2010, 06:26 PM
Not trying to turn this into a Ben thread, but I do think this means more than a 1 game suspension for Ben, that was rumored earlier today.

I would bet a ton of money on a 4 game suspension...I dont know when it was rumored to be 1 but the last couple days its been expected from 2-4 games...Im prety sure its gonna be 4..

StlersGuy
04-20-2010, 06:36 PM
I just got the tex from espn on this and I have to say... this was a smart pickup he did just fine for us in 08

V_83
04-20-2010, 06:41 PM
I'm still a Dixon fan but for a seventh round draft pick, I think this is a pretty good pick up.

SnakeEyes43
04-20-2010, 06:41 PM
It's nice to have Lefwich back, I'll always remember all that he did for this team in 2008.

Same here, Leftwich came in and won that (much hyped) Redskins game in 2008! The Redskins never did recover after that game, neither did Campbell. Byron was a solid backup for us, glad he is back.

nuclearchihuahuas
04-20-2010, 07:16 PM
Same here, Leftwich came in and won that (much hyped) Redskins game in 2008! The Redskins never did recover after that game, neither did Campbell. Byron was a solid backup for us, glad he is back.

I have always liked Leftwich--I think he will stay as a backup to Ben once he returns...question is while he is out...who will start?

coldrolled
04-20-2010, 07:29 PM
Ben, Dixon, Leftwich is cool.

Batch needs to start coaching on the team.

They can convert his salary to a coaching job.

SteelCityKid5
04-20-2010, 07:56 PM
Yeah can Batch like mysteriously not dress and just keep on a headset aka just be the QB coach?

Gettysburgh_Steel
04-20-2010, 08:08 PM
Thats odd , maybe Ben is the odd man out . Let him sit on the bench for a year and think . Don't underestimate the Steelers F.O . At this point nothing would surprise me anymore . Everyone seems to think Batch is the odd man out . At the end of the day integrity will be the winner in Pittsburgh . Like it or not . That seems to be the direction we are going . Gots ta send that message ! Now we have even more back-up to help preserve our integrity . Ben has got to be reeling now . All for the good of the team . You go front office , noone knows how to bring home the trophies like you guys . You have one thing that noone can argue with ....SIX ! ! ! ! ! !
Wow what an interesting developement .

JensK
04-20-2010, 08:11 PM
i have to admit i would rather hace picked up a projext qb with our 7th... We cant keep getting older players who used to play for us back, just because tomlin likes their personality... If Dixon dont start id be pretty pissed tbh. Time to start enforcing that generation shift

Iron City South
04-20-2010, 08:18 PM
I really like this move. Lefty is a perfect mentor for Dixon. Lefty will be there to back him up in the event he goes down. This also sends a message to our resident fat, dumb, and lazy starter ... "Go ahead and screw up again, we have 3 very capable people behind you"

Captcoolhand
04-20-2010, 08:18 PM
Ben, Dixon, Leftwich is cool.

Batch needs to start coaching on the team.

They can convert his salary to a coaching job.
They should have just convice Batch to hang'em up and become a coach in the 1st place. Never should of used up a rooster spot for him...imo

Gettysburgh_Steel
04-20-2010, 09:15 PM
They should have just convice Batch to hang'em up and become a coach in the 1st place. Never should of used up a rooster spot for him...imo

Your opinion is cool and all that , but Batch is still there as a player . The way this crap is going , we have to wait and see how it all plays out . He would be a good coach i believe . If he could be , then he knows his window could be closing on his playing side of the game . He has no choice but to bring it . He has got to bring it if he has it . If not , then he would still be an attribute just standing on the sideline. Are there any player-coaches eligible ? Charlie deserves the hats off for his continued , reliable ,and unselfish attitude toward the team , and his career . He is the perfect example of the type of player you want to have arround , rather than the type you would wish you could overlook , but has become almost impossible . Company man ? Yea , i commend him . He Deserves it , and he worked for it too . Coach ? I don't think they could make a better choice . Quarterback , reciever coach, whatever . They need to find a place for this man in their system .

$teelersRule
04-20-2010, 09:16 PM
Just saw on NFL network that the Steelers picked up Leftwitch for a 7th round pick. So my question is who is going to open the season wile Ben is suspended, is it Dixon or Leftwitch?

I want to see how Dixon does and I think he needs some time in real games but I think Byron might give us more of a chance to win. I think it comes down to if the Steelers think there is a Ligit chance to get to the BIG GAME then they play Byron to give more of a chance to get to the playoffs at the end of the season. Any ideas?

--- Added 4/20/2010 at 08:16 PM ---

sorry didnt see the other thread on this already, feel free to delete it.

Gettysburgh_Steel
04-20-2010, 09:31 PM
Yeah , get that big dawg bone off your head . LOL
Nobody knows yet . From rampaging around all the different threads , i think it is only positve . Myself , i think it may have more signicant implications than most would want to accept . Thats another beat up , worn out topic though . Overall , i have no problem what so ever with it . The only other thing could be that Dixon may not be ready for what lies ahead . But hey , thats what camp is for . Your ready , and if the team thinks your ready , then you have to be ready . I don't want to sound brash or anything , but i would not mind the other guy sitting for the whole year . Hope he gets some splinters ridin the pine !

Ibleedblk&gld
04-20-2010, 09:36 PM
dixon SHOULD be the starter while ben is out...he needs his shot right now, and byron has been out of the system for a year

Zachintosh66
04-20-2010, 10:02 PM
This tells me Ben will be gone for awhile... I like the move tho, help behind Dixon

greg1964
04-20-2010, 10:33 PM
the way this is going to play out is Ben will be suspended for four games and order to some short of treatment program, which could reduce the suspended by two games. Dixon will begin the season as the starter with Leftwich and Batch as the back-ups. Upon Ben being reinstated, Batch will be release of have some injury to place him on IR. If Dixon dose well, he will remain the #2 QB if not he will fall to #3 and Leftwich will become #2

coldrolled
04-20-2010, 10:51 PM
i have to admit i would rather hace picked up a projext qb with our 7th... We cant keep getting older players who used to play for us back, just because tomlin likes their personality... If Dixon dont start id be pretty pissed tbh. Time to start enforcing that generation shift

dixon best start. leftwich didnt look real good with tampa either. not sure about him starting.

Gettysburgh_Steel
04-20-2010, 11:40 PM
Steelers rock ! Things will work out .One player does not win a trophy . Their job is to put the best players on the field to help make that happen . Don't know about you guys , but they been more right than wrong , moreso than anyone else in this league . Even the last trophy came about , not because of one person . The whole world watches us . The whole league watches us . What do they see ? They see a bunch of freakin winners , thats what they see !!!!!!:greenbounce2::rant2::cope::banana::stirpot: :2cents:

BFISHIN80
04-21-2010, 01:39 AM
I actually prefer Lefty over Dixon....he gives us a better chance to win. I'm not crazy about losing the first four games while Dixon adjusts to the NFL.

Nolrog
04-21-2010, 01:48 AM
Steelers depot is also reporting that his salary will be roughly 2 million. That is a lot for us to pay for just a little competition at QB. Something is happening, either longer suspension or something else, like an injury to Dixon or Batch, but something else is up.

Totally agree, something is up. Based on the information we have right now, it would seem that Ben is in for a longer suspension than expected. I'm guessing the Steelers already know what it's likely to be so they were able to plan accordingly.

Danger DANJ
04-21-2010, 02:00 AM
This is certainly looking like a 4 game suspension for Ben coming up. Even Peter King is saying he expects a 4 game suspension.

So, assuming the 4 game suspension and Dixon at QB, what do you think our record will be going into the bye? We play the Falcons, Titans, Bucs and Ravens. I can see 2-2 and possibly 3-1 if the defense shows up this year. Is that being too optimistic?

DanRooney
04-21-2010, 02:22 AM
This is certainly looking like a 4 game suspension for Ben coming up. Even Peter King is saying he expects a 4 game suspension.

So, assuming the 4 game suspension and Dixon at QB, what do you think our record will be going into the bye? We play the Falcons, Titans, Bucs and Ravens. I can see 2-2 and possibly 3-1 if the defense shows up this year. Is that being too optimistic?

Absolutely. 1-4 at best with Dixon at starter.

coldrolled
04-21-2010, 07:29 AM

you may be right, arians will screw it up...

cmerrifield
04-21-2010, 07:42 AM
you may be right, arians will screw it up...

Nay Arians knows his job is on the line, he will improve this year. I think 2-2 with Dixon starting off the year. Maybe 3-1, I think we could beat the Ravens at home with Dixon at QB. It would be his 5th start ever and I think he would have some rythm and confidence by then. We will beat Tampa Bay for sure, and its been a long time since we have lost the season opener at home, so I think we can win that too.

A Pac
04-21-2010, 08:10 AM
i think this means a couple of things. first of all, ben is suspended for at least 4 games. secondly, it could mean that the steelers are looking to trade ben on draft day. i am not saying that it will happen, but it is a definite possibility. don't be surprised to see ben gone by the end of the week.

JensK
04-21-2010, 09:09 AM

we've had this discussion before, and i still believe you are underestimating Dixon... Sure, he did not have a great game against Ravens, but much better, proven QBs have done worse against Ravens, even without the facts that he had one day to mentally prepare for the game, he played in Baltimore and even in primetime. I think Dixon is the way to go, if for nothing else then because people know leftwich, they would have a hard time preparing for Dixon.

Zachintosh66
04-21-2010, 09:32 AM
but with Batch Dixon and Ben and Leftwich, somebody is not making the team

nah... Batch will be in IR by then

cmerrifield
04-21-2010, 09:33 AM
nah... Batch will be in IR by then

:hilarious::clap:

coldrolled
04-21-2010, 09:42 AM
Totally agree, something is up. Based on the information we have right now, it would seem that Ben is in for a longer suspension than expected. I'm guessing the Steelers already know what it's likely to be so they were able to plan accordingly.

If they hand him a one game suspension for being stupid, ok. 4 games and its just not right.

what are they going to do to the rest of the nfl players that actually "get charged" with
dui's and other crap.. slappin bitches and stuff.. bar fighting... 1/2 year suspensions. when will that start... or is this only a black n gold penalty???

you get one year for killing people/dui. so theres a bar... 16 games for death.

ben hasnt been charged? so 1 game, AA rehab, maybe 0 game suspension....

why would the nfl wait till after the draft to hand out a charge. basically, so the steelers cant trade him either, if its only a one game or 2 suspension hes trade bait during the draft. rooney must be sick of starting every season with ben's bullshit...

i am...

BlackGold4vr
04-21-2010, 10:15 AM
If you don't have enough trust that Charlie can do the job why did you just resign him on a 2 year contract? Byron immediately moves ahead of Batch on the depth chart. Younger, stronger arm, more recently a starter than old Charlie. I like the move of bringing in Byron. He can play for us in a pinch. Actually, Byron throws a better deep ball than Ben does. Ever notice that receivers always have to come back for Ben's deep ball? I can't remember a deep ball thrown by Ben that ever hit someone in stride. Plus, Byron goes through his progressions and if nobody is open he throws the ball away. I think Dennis Dixon will get his chance to be the #2, but if he falters I believe Byron would be next.

:2cents: